Xaoc Odessa, 1975 Variable Spectrum Harmonic Cluster VCO

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Odessa, 1975 Variable Spectrum Harmonic Cluster VCO

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:55 pm

ferran wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:05 pm
Thank you, I was confused :bang: , after seeing some Odessa and Elements videos, for my needs clearly more interested in Elements. I've got a lot of VCOs capable of Odessa tricks.
curious: which VCOs are those?

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:08 pm

curious: which VCOs are those?
I'm also curious, particularly if they are in less HP. But I'm not holding my breath :lol:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:16 am

Klavis Twin Wave has seven sines based addative algorithms for odd, even or both. Two at the same time in 8hp.

Odessa has quite a bit more control and a few more harmonics partials though. ;)
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

nikop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikop » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:47 am

synonymist wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:48 am
nikop wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:01 am
This is one of the few decent demos out there. It seems to me that many people don't really know how to make this module sound interesting
Why would they? The Odessa module is only about 20 minutes old, and its functionality is unprecedented in the eurorack domain.

Good things are worth waiting for. And discovery is at least half the fun.

EDIT: Why not buy one, then demonstrate for us how it should be made to sound interesting?
Good point. I already have one... I definitely have fun with it.. so maybe i will. Didn't mean to sound as a wise guy. I believe there are many ways to make it sound interesting, I just start to realise that it is easy to get carried away. You really don't need all that partials for everything.

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:31 am

Klavis Twin Wave has seven sines based addative algorithms for odd, even or both. Two at the same time in 8hp

Thanks for the heads up, I have never actually looked at Twin Waves too closely because it is already a definite on my list :lol: . I think Odessa looks really interesting but HP wise it would be a bit of a luxury for me atm, might have to wait for some hypothetical future case :hihi:

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:53 am

odessa doing work here:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:28 am

Odessa melody in this clip. Mainly a rather simple sinewave with some really bright but rather subtle overtones adorning the sound now and then.

New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:55 pm
twistedneck wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:38 am
I would love a utopia where nothing ever seemed the least bit annoying but reality is XAOC as a great company knows this and is cracking up about it - they will when they see fit make an update if and when they want to - no issues with that at all. but who knows we just may brow beat them into it by buying enough of these babys.
Yeah... or they'll show integrity and tell people with this attitude to fuck off. I know I would/do. Good customer service does not including conceding to every unreasonable request.

autopoiesis's critique is valid and several have voiced this. However, it is a design choice and the maker has explained that and he stood by it. Seems like the issue's resolved.
I love how you are confusing integrity with lack of debate. Nice try straw man, whats coming out is your sad inability to handle the slightest criticism without resorting to 'fuck off'.. then you throw out loaded words like conceding and unreasonable. my my some very thin skin there.

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Be Sandy? » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm

twistedneck wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am
...I love how you are confusing integrity with lack of debate. Nice try straw man, whats coming out is your sad inability to handle the slightest criticism without resorting to 'fuck off'.. then you throw out loaded words like conceding and unreasonable. my my some very thin skin there.
If this debate really has to continue it does so via PM please, not in this thread.
It's fine to critique an argument but when it comes along with assertions about the character of the person making the argument it's getting off topic at best.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:38 pm

twistedneck wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am
Sinamsis wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:55 pm
twistedneck wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:38 am
I would love a utopia where nothing ever seemed the least bit annoying but reality is XAOC as a great company knows this and is cracking up about it - they will when they see fit make an update if and when they want to - no issues with that at all. but who knows we just may brow beat them into it by buying enough of these babys.
Yeah... or they'll show integrity and tell people with this attitude to fuck off. I know I would/do. Good customer service does not including conceding to every unreasonable request.

autopoiesis's critique is valid and several have voiced this. However, it is a design choice and the maker has explained that and he stood by it. Seems like the issue's resolved.
I love how you are confusing integrity with lack of debate. Nice try straw man, whats coming out is your sad inability to handle the slightest criticism without resorting to 'fuck off'.. then you throw out loaded words like conceding and unreasonable. my my some very thin skin there.

LOL.

There is no debate to be had. I thought that was clear, and is the point of the issue. He said it’s not going to happen. I won’t comment further on that and certainly don’t bother PMing me.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:34 pm

Spent a little more time with Odessa (seems like I have plenty of that these days haha). I explored some ambient swells using Zadar for complex envelopes, Tallin, Sinfonion's chord output into Hel, and then a RML EFC, Magneto and Erbe Verb at the end of the chain, all processed through Analog Heat (because I can never get enough dirt). The timbral variety from Odessa with subtle changes never ceases to amaze me, and reminds me I have so much to uncover. Also I'm blow away by Zadar even when using it's most basic functions. It is a work of art. Now I need to delve into the Drezno/Jena/Lipsk.

Thoow
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Thoow » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:44 am

Spend the last days reading all 26 pages of this thread. Waiting for my Odessa to arrive.
Yesterday it finally joined the rack. And it is amazing. Still I have to figure out, what to do with this beast.
Can we share some patch ideas?

I used a the Eleoquencer to send random and quantized CV information to Pitch/CV. Odd an even outputs go into both sections of the 2hp VCA. I drive the CV with ADSR from the Distink. VCA out goes then into Typhoon (Clouds).Paired with some drums and a 2HP pluck, this sounds pretty cool.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”