Xaoc Odessa, 1975 Variable Spectrum Harmonic Cluster VCO

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Odessa, 1975 Variable Spectrum Harmonic Cluster VCO

Post by synonymist » Wed May 06, 2020 4:40 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:12 pm
Got an answer to this. Apparently they all do it and it’s nothing to worry about. I’m suppressed I’m the first person in the thread to point it out/notice/question this!
Super-cool. Thank you for reporting that here.

As to others noticing this, my excuse: I have tinnitus, plus these days I synthesize in headphones. So despite my powers of hearing and discernment (which are otherwise formidable), there are some sounds in some settings that are hard for me to detect.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Thu May 07, 2020 11:38 am

synonymist wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:40 pm
As to others noticing this, my excuse: I have tinnitus, plus these days I synthesize in headphones.
Tinnitus....or Odessa inductor noise? But srsly I have tinnitus too and it basically sounds like what they are describing in my ear at all times.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Thu May 07, 2020 1:00 pm

scragz wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:38 am
synonymist wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:40 pm
As to others noticing this, my excuse: I have tinnitus, plus these days I synthesize in headphones.
Tinnitus....or Odessa inductor noise? But srsly I have tinnitus too and it basically sounds like what they are describing in my ear at all times.
Heh. I had tinnitus many years before the Odessa module or Xaoc Devices existed. :) One of the worst effects of the condition is masking, wherein the afflicted person does not perceive real sounds external to them that are too similar to the "fake" sound they are hearing internally.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sat May 09, 2020 1:24 pm

Here is my Odessa module playing a deep, rubbery, and percussive bass sound via Optomix. Session notes are at the track's webpage:

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Sun May 10, 2020 7:13 pm

Here is another one from me. Was going for that Gábor Lázár sound...

My description on SoundCloud:
While experimenting with Odessa and Zadar, I came up with this.
Once the sound started to evolve in a certain direction, it started to become inspired by "Crisis of Representation 4", by Gábor Lázár - which still continues to blow my mind every time I hear it.
The only other modules I am using are - Frap Tools USTA for probability-driven gates; Korgasmatron II as a stereo high pass filter - to remove some of the fundamental wave; Instruō Tš-L as a modulator for the linear FM into Odessa; and an Intellijel QuadVCA.
Zadar is configured as an A-B link, with channel A driving the two QuadVCA channels on the output, and the B channel driving Odessa's Tilt. Both are set to a very warped dual wave, allowing the "pumping hold" effect, similar to Gábor's recording.

One note: You will hear a click at 4:02, this is what happens when you switch from 3 to 5 voices while recording... whoops.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun May 10, 2020 7:20 pm

Yes!!!!
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Modules/Google Case/Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri May 22, 2020 5:06 pm

studioutopia wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:13 pm
really great sounds. im pretty sold on this, seems to have a really cool palette not obtainable elsewhere

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Fri May 22, 2020 5:23 pm

I received one of these earlier this week... it is really terrific. Going to take a while to really learn what it's doing, but so far the "throw a zillion modulators at it and see" approach has been fun.

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 pm

synonymist wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:24 pm
Here is my Odessa module playing a deep, rubbery, and percussive bass sound via Optomix. Session notes are at the track's webpage:

Beautiful. Saxophone sounds like an actual (dry, acoustic) saxophone, beginning around 2:44 and re-emerging at 5:25. It's uncanny!

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Fri May 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Shakespeare wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:23 pm
I received one of these earlier this week... it is really terrific. Going to take a while to really learn what it's doing, but so far the "throw a zillion modulators at it and see" approach has been fun.
Before you really get into Odessa - watch this:
https://youtu.be/Wx_kugSemfY
Even if you already have a full understanding of the Harmonic Series, the way Andrew explains it is really inspiring/encouraging when you start to do a deep dive into Odessa.
damase wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:06 pm
studioutopia wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:13 pm
really great sounds. im pretty sold on this, seems to have a really cool palette not obtainable elsewhere
Thanks, damase!!

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri May 22, 2020 8:57 pm

medium Rob wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 pm
synonymist wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:24 pm

Beautiful. Saxophone sounds like an actual (dry, acoustic) saxophone, beginning around 2:44 and re-emerging at 5:25. It's uncanny!
Thank you very much! I wasn't trying for a saxophone sound, but eventually realized that it was, as you noted, a very credible evocation of the physical instrument. It sounds like a sax miked through a tube mic preamp with a badly microphonic tube... but a sax nonetheless. :)

That sound is 100% analog. It is the mighty STEFFCORP trio, 2x 2600 VCO and 1x VCF-12, plus an Optomix v2. My admiration for those STEFFCORP modules grows each time I play them. Hopefully they will be made again someday.

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Sun May 24, 2020 6:46 am

THe Xaoc Odessa is the only oscillator, patch notes below,

Odessa -> QAAF (feedback through Plague Bearer) -> ZDSP -> Morphagene -> Clouds (Oliverb) -> Tascam Portastudio (half speed)

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Mon May 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Little first patch video with the Odessa... close to a "three module challenge" but cheated a little (3+ attenuation and Sloth)...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”