Xaoc Odessa, 1975 Variable Spectrum Harmonic Cluster VCO

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

red
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Xaoc Odessa, 1975 Variable Spectrum Harmonic Cluster VCO

Post by red » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:30 am

Like other modules, the Odessa needs a combination with other modules to show its full potential of sound possibilities
(... this is part of the modular game!).

The pure sound of Odessa is interesting, and the modulation possibilities are endless. I recently patched it into 100 Grit (Schlappi Engineering) and this was the missing part. In this combination it's possible to add different amounts of distortion or ring-modular-like sounds to the more or less clean sound of the Odessa. This gives you an immense spectrum of sounds and textures with the necessary amount of randomness - e.g. the resonance acts very subtle to the modulated spectrum of the Odessa!

Adding some salt and pepper to the borscht ... Try it!

And, as asked earlier: is the black panel ready now?
red

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:40 am

Yep, it needs to be viewed as an oscillator rather than a full voice and tiny modulations has a huge effect sometimes. Anyone trying it out should try to avoid sweeping the whole range because that won’t sound very nice, imo. Yesterday I built a sound around just sequencing the bank within a tiny range to get big shifts in the sound.

I already like it more than I expected and that is a great sign.
909, manic trilling courtesy of Make Noise René and DPO, wavetable bass by Disting and some soft melodies by the Korg Minilogue. I mainly sat and watched it all unfold. :eek:

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:16 am

Let's try to stay focused on the important subject in this thread... where is the black panel? Loving my Odessa but my OCD is going nuts and I want all my XAOC modules to be uniformly black 8-)

I agree, large sweeps don't bear the best results with Odessa. Lots of modulation, but carefully attenuated for subtle shifting of the sweet spots are where this module really shines. A little can be a lot when it comes to conjuring up the magic.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

Tomek Mirt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tomek Mirt » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:07 pm

We have black panels in stock, so pleas ask your favourite dealer.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 pm

manual wrote:The two knobs at the top ( 23 and 24 ) together with their associated CV inputs ( 25 and 26 ) define banks of partials which address the distribution of spectral compo nents between the odd partials and even partials outputs. When the bank length parameter is set to 0, both outputs offer the same full signal. If set to +1, each output offers the same fundamental (1st partial) plus its even (2nd, 4th, 6th, etc) and odd (3rd, 5th, 7th,
etc) overtones, respectively. With different lengths, odd and even sequences of partials are split between the two jacks. Additionally, all partials except the fundamental may be frequency-scaled by an integer factor: from simple fractions (1:2, 1:3 down to 1:8) to multiples (2, 3… up to 8), selected by harmonic factor. The direction of bank length (either turned left or right) selects which of the two outputs will receive the modified frequencies.
[video][/video]

I didn't really get the ramifications of what the manual was saying until it was broken down in that video: If you put Bank to the right, the odds are on the right output and Harmonic Factor affects the right. If you put Bank to the left, odds are on the left output and Harmonic Factor affects the left.

So there's no way to make Harmonic Factor operate on the evens? Or am I missing something?

I'm still on the fence about getting one, doing my due diligence research first.

Edit: I bought it anyway

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by synonymist » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:48 pm

synonymist wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:42 pm
Overall the sound is morphing, like a flute always trying to become a double reed, and occasionally (the sweet spots) becoming a sort of little synthetic, glassy, human voice.

Next time I will recreate the sound from this starting point, then try to tightly control it, to make Odessa "talk" as clearly as possible.
Well I didn't do that the next time, or the time after. But most recently I got from my Odessa module a sound that was both fantastic (I think) and has a somewhat vocal character. I would be hard pressed to make sounds like this by other means in my synth, especially with such a wide range of variation of timbre and whose timbre morphs so smoothly.

In these tracks it is the "watery basses" sound. They comprise a main voice that starts right of center, then a secondary version of that voice on the left. Collectively they are the second sound to play. They can be heard most clearly in the first few minutes of the (very long) first track, and in all but the first minute of the second track (much shorter). In addition to their "chewy" or slightly squishy basis, the sounds have a very dry, narrow bandwidth, high frequency component that wavers or "talks" sometimes. Session notes are at each track's webpage:

Afturmath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Afturmath » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:24 pm

Is there anyone with an Odessa paired with Drezno and Lipsk that's willing to do more demos? I want to pull the trigger on this setup for maximum control over partial banks, but I want to better understand the sonic impact of the interaction to see if it can do what I think it can.
Soundcloud || Current Eurorack
Support synths: Voyager XL, Subsequent 37 CV "Moogfest Edition", Novation Circuit Mono Station, Modal Craft Synth 2.0

WetSoul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WetSoul » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:13 pm

Has anyone here used Odessa directly connected only to the Lipsk module? (as the XAOC website suggests) If so, is it worth adding? Or is Lipsk not as good without Drezno?

loorenz
Common Wiggler

Post by loorenz » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:12 am

I have LIPSK connected to Odessa, for me it really depends if you gave room in your case. You can go deeper in Odessa wit it but if you have Odessa+Hel combo, the 6 more HP for Lipsk aren't a keeper if I need room in my case. You can be more precise and fin more sounds only with the output that uses the banks.
The main advantage for me to Lipsk, is that fact that you can use tilt fully clockwise and get rid of the partials that make the sound noisy and you can have more easily rhythmic effects with it.

WetSoul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by WetSoul » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:16 pm

Very interesting - thanks for your insights!
I too have Odessa + Hel (which I really love), and while I have available HP at the moment, I know I won't always have the luxury. (My rack is 6U 126hp, and I've really just started putting it together.) I'm debating whether the Lipsk is worth it at 6hp vs something more functional down the road. Sounds like I may have to try it out to see how much I'll use it, because it may be uniquely worth it for Odessa in order to fine tune the harmonics further.
I appreciate your thoughts - thanks again!

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by Dragonaut » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm

synonymist wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:48 pm
synonymist wrote:
Overall the sound is morphing, like a flute always trying to become a double reed, and occasionally (the sweet spots) becoming a sort of little synthetic, glassy, human voice.

Next time I will recreate the sound from this starting point, then try to tightly control it, to make Odessa "talk" as clearly as possible.
Well I didn't do that the next time, or the time after. But most recently I got from my Odessa module a sound that was both fantastic (I think) and has a somewhat vocal character. I would be hard pressed to make sounds like this by other means in my synth, especially with such a wide range of variation of timbre and whose timbre morphs so smoothly.

In these tracks it is the "watery basses" sound. They comprise a main voice that starts right of center, then a secondary version of that voice on the left. Collectively they are the second sound to play. They can be heard most clearly in the first few minutes of the (very long) first track, and in all but the first minute of the second track (much shorter). In addition to their "chewy" or slightly squishy basis, the sounds have a very dry, narrow bandwidth, high frequency component that wavers or "talks" sometimes. Session notes are at each track's webpage:

This is great on a few different levels. You’ve re-created traditional bass guitar sounds and simultaneously added new timbral details and nuances to that sound. You’ve also created a piece of modular music that properly demonstrates why the modular technique is important. Hell yes!
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:34 pm

Dragonaut wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm
synonymist wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:48 pm
synonymist wrote:

In these tracks it is the "watery basses" sound...

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/at-exobase

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/at-exobase-again
This is great on a few different levels. You’ve re-created traditional bass guitar sounds and simultaneously added new timbral details and nuances to that sound. You’ve also created a piece of modular music that properly demonstrates why the modular technique is important. Hell yes!
Thank you for your kind assessment! As a bass guitarist of many years, my synth music tends to be bass sound-centric, if only inasmuch as I dote on bass sounds and their place in arrangements. I agree that the modular synth technique is important. It's about how one works more than the sonic result; but at its best, the result is distinctive because of how one worked.

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:31 am

tonymasiello wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:10 pm
I just finished my first ever tutorial video, the subject of which is the Odessa. This will hopefully be the first in a multipart series on the Odessa. In this video I cover the Partial and Tilt knobs, so it is a pretty simple start. There is a lot to explore with this module. My next video I intend to focus on the Bank and Harmonic Factor knobs and my understanding of some what is happening under the hood. Feedback is appeciated! Thanks!

Nice work on both part 1 and 2. I'm getting mine tomorrow from Detroit Modular sure its got a lot of limitations and quirks but looking at this thread I'm guessing XAOC will update the 'firmware' if you call it that and we will have an evolving instrument.. even in we don't get that bonus, its still cool and i'm getting it :)

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 am

I'm guessing XAOC will update the 'firmware' if you call it that and we will have an evolving instrument
I'm guessing you haven't read the whole thread ;)

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:11 pm

twistedneck wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:31 am
I'm guessing XAOC will update the 'firmware' if you call it that and we will have an evolving instrument..
Nope - XAOC don't consider updating an FPGA-based module's programming to be feasible, and have been very clear about this in this thread.

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:20 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 am
I'm guessing XAOC will update the 'firmware' if you call it that and we will have an evolving instrument
I actually read the thread .. :) Enjoyed it too.. I meant some other folks chimed in and said hell yea you actually can update the FPGA so that's not a limitation.. I thought based on that the pressure would eventually rise to the home update level if it comes to it. This is a powerful community.

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:23 pm

I actually read the thread
In that case, I admire your optimism :)

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 pm

twistedneck wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:20 pm
Fog Door wrote:
I actually read the thread .. :) Enjoyed it too.. I meant some other folks chimed in and said hell yea you actually can update the FPGA so that's not a limitation.. I thought based on that the pressure would eventually rise to the home update level if it comes to it. This is a powerful community.
So we are to browbeat the maker into submission?

Although I am new to this community, my clear impression is that Xaoc Devices is as much a member of it as any of us; and that they have contributed at least as much to it as nearly anyone, and more than many.

I, for one, respect Xaoc Devices's decision in this matter, not least of all since they created the damn thing and understand its architecture at a level that none of us ever will.

Not their customers' desire, nor good intentions, nor sense of righteousness will or should sway Xaoc Devices in their position on the Odessa module firmware.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:44 pm

There has been quite some level of complaints from the failed attempts to update Zadar and since updating Odessa would demand a lot more from their customers I can’t imagine Xaoc ever opening that can of worms. :hihi:
909, manic trilling courtesy of Make Noise René and DPO, wavetable bass by Disting and some soft melodies by the Korg Minilogue. I mainly sat and watched it all unfold. :eek:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:37 pm

I don’t understand the limitations and quirks comment. Ha I see it no more limited or limitless than other modules, and not particularly quirky. The rest of the commentary comes across as entitled. It’s challenging to try to anything good, or creative, or unique when this is the response you commonly receive. To some degree it does speak to human nature and begs the question, why bother?

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:30 am

the only "limitation" I can think of (and the only request that I've seen repeatedly come up throughout this thread) is that the fundamental is always present in the partials outputs, even when the fundamental output is being patched out. I just think it would have been smarter to subtract it from the partials outputs when the dedicated fundamental jack is being tapped, as it implies an intention to use it in a parallel signal path or to mix its levels differently. it would have more flexibility as an FM operator (with the frequency multiplication and division stuff you can you on the partials output that has a chosen "bank") if this were true.

but it's cool. you can indeed subtract it with a polarizing mixer. I'm not sure if that works exactly the same if you're FMing Odessa though.

otherwise I don't really understand, either, what anyone could be reasonably dreaming of this module being "upgraded" to do in addition to what it already does. I think we all need to remember that alternative firmwares and polyfunctional "Swiss army knife" oscillators are an exception to the rule and involve costs (to the depth of each function, and to the immediacy of the interface) that not everyone gels with.

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:38 am

synonymist wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 pm
twistedneck wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:20 pm
Fog Door wrote:
So we are to browbeat the maker into submission?

Although I am new to this community, my clear impression is that Xaoc Devices is as much a member of it as any of us; and that they have contributed at least as much to it as nearly anyone, and more than many.

I, for one, respect Xaoc Devices's decision in this matter, not least of all since they created the damn thing and understand its architecture at a level that none of us ever will.

Not their customers' desire, nor good intentions, nor sense of righteousness will or should sway Xaoc Devices in their position on the Odessa module firmware.
Boo hoo.. wipe away my tears I get brow beaten by respected peers and customers daily, its part of the usual give and take between customers and vendors. I would love a utopia where nothing ever seemed the least bit annoying but reality is XAOC as a great company knows this and is cracking up about it - they will when they see fit make an update if and when they want to - no issues with that at all. but who knows we just may brow beat them into it by buying enough of these babys.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:44 pm

Edit: I misread "buying" for "bullying". Sorry! :sstorm:

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:29 pm

pieter wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:44 pm
Edit: I misread "buying" for "bullying". Sorry! :sstorm:
Is bullying the right word or are we talking about normal back and forth between two parties with a little edge to it? Buying their Odessa module is not bullying.. I made my first jam last night and I love it. I'm quite sure that XAOC doesn't give two shits about me bullying them with evil posts as long as I actually care enough to consider buying their stuff.. and that I did and its awesome just like the Zadar and Batumi.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:34 pm

Like I said, I misread your post. I had written a reply thinking you said bullying. You didn't. So I edited my inappropriate response and apologized.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”