Instruō - Cš-L complex oscillator [CS-L]

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:38 am

The endorphin is much more... fuzzy, non-precise. Often in a pleasant way, too. The cs-l is more defined, crisp.

I prefer the cs-l but who knows about others :)

rob_dylan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rob_dylan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:30 am

Fiddling with my CS-L now and wondering if it is by design that the two oscillators are tuned one octave apart (about) when their knobs are set to the same value?

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 am

rob_dylan wrote:Fiddling with my CS-L now and wondering if it is by design that the two oscillators are tuned one octave apart (about) when their knobs are set to the same value?
Hello. Good question. I wondered that, too.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Is the channel with the SUB out the lower of the two?

rob_dylan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rob_dylan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:41 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:Is the channel with the SUB out the lower of the two?

Yes

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:43 pm

That makes sense to me...more depth.

rob_dylan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rob_dylan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:36 pm

Yes, I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing. Just got a bit curious. Here's how my tuning knobs are set to have both oscillators producing the same pitch:

happyham
Wiggling with Experience

Post by happyham » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:35 am

Yes, it's normal. My Cs-l is like that, and my Verbos complex oscillator was the same.
Having a whale of a time with this oscillator. It's range is continues to surprise me.

charonme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by charonme » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:49 am

I'm guessing it might have something to do with the fact that the top one has a sawtooth core and the bottom triangle core?
spotify, bandcamp
Heptaphasis - DIY 3HP 7-phase quadrature sine LFO

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:03 pm

I don't see how that would make a difference.

I think it's so it can get really deep using the SUB.

rob_dylan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rob_dylan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Just stumbled upon this piece of eye/ear candy:

[video][/video]

JayZ
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JayZ » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:42 pm

Here is my attempt at maxing out the Cs-L. So many things to do.

Cs-L Max

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am

JayZ wrote:Here is my attempt at maxing out the Cs-L. So many things to do.

Cs-L Max
Hi. I got a video about hacking a ceiling fan. Did you turn your Cš-L into a ceiling fan?! ;)

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:25 pm

Some Friday night Cš-L appreciation. I am really coming around to the clarity of its distinctive voice.

Here Cš-L is in a prominent role with no pitch center. Session notes are at the track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/light-pink-light

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:15 am

can anyone owning a CS-L do some bongo type thingy demo?
like striking the wave folder with different EGs or thru LPGs
im looking for a plucky percussive bass kinda thing and from jasons demo i figured it could really shine doing those
thinking about pulling the trigger maybe alongside with a LPG....

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 am

In these tracks, except for Basimilus Iteritas Alter as the "robot rhythm section", Cš-L is the sole primary sound source.

Interpreted by a Haible Dual Wasp Filter and Clouds, Cš-L is the source for sounds ranging from the growling, croaking sub bass to the "fuzz guitar" in expanding and contracting empty rooms to the pretty, bright "space flute" to the sound with the cricket-esque high pitched resonant filter.

Session notes are at each track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/downstream

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/upstream

P.S. - Since newly I am displeased with SoundCloud: until I find an alternative, my tracks there will be few and short-lived.

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DDJ » Thu May 02, 2019 11:25 am

Does anyone know when the next batch of these will be ready?

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Fri May 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Just getting back into Euro after a brief hiatus, so only have the Cs-L, Pam's New Workout, René 2, Harmonaig, and Optomix to work with at the moment, but WOW!!
This thing sounds so nice!!
No idea what I'm doing with it yet, but having a blast!! :party:

submute
Common Wiggler

Post by submute » Fri May 03, 2019 8:10 pm

This track has the CS-L as the primary voice with a touch of reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/wellsoliver/warm-ditty

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DDJ » Sun May 05, 2019 11:10 am

I love the sound of this module but am a bit anxious about the key-combo's. Do users find it easy to remember the key combo's/ current state of ring,am,rect button?

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Sun May 05, 2019 11:37 am

DDJ wrote:I love the sound of this module but am a bit anxious about the key-combo's. Do users find it easy to remember the key combo's/ current state of ring,am,rect button?
It's not as complicated as it may seem without the module in front of you. It's only 6 buttons. Once you run through things a few times it starts to make sense. Plus you can generally hear what is going on even if you don't have it memorized.

I can't recommend this module enough. It's just so complete! And the cross modulation is a pleasure to explore. The convenience of all the possibilities pushes me in directions I would not have taken otherwise.

Big thumbs up! :tu:

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DDJ » Sun May 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Precarious wrote:
DDJ wrote:I love the sound of this module but am a bit anxious about the key-combo's. Do users find it easy to remember the key combo's/ current state of ring,am,rect button?
It's not as complicated as it may seem without the module in front of you. It's only 6 buttons. Once you run through things a few times it starts to make sense. Plus you can generally hear what is going on even if you don't have it memorized.

I can't recommend this module enough. It's just so complete! And the cross modulation is a pleasure to explore. The convenience of all the possibilities pushes me in directions I would not have taken otherwise.

Big thumbs up! :tu:
Don’t doubt my ability to be confused by even the slightest thing. Haha.

I’ve never used a complex oscillator before so I worry that the extra button combo functions might make the learning curve steeper.

I guess I’ll never know unless I try it...

I’m really torn between the Furthrrrr and this guy.

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Sat May 18, 2019 6:08 am

pugix wrote:Looks and sounds fantastic. But I want to see a manual, preferably including the internal routing.
Now it is one year later and no complete manual for Cš-L exists. I predict that we will wait long for one. Very long.

kamindustries
Common Wiggler

Post by kamindustries » Sat May 18, 2019 1:37 pm

In the Sonic State Superbooth video, Jason's rig had a bunch of faceplates with single page instruction manuals next to his modules, including the Cs-L. They looked amazing-

Since they were for all his modules, it makes me wonder if there's a big push soon on releasing documentation across the entire Instruo line.

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Wed May 22, 2019 1:40 pm

synonymist wrote:
pugix wrote:Looks and sounds fantastic. But I want to see a manual, preferably including the internal routing.
Now it is one year later and no complete manual for Cš-L exists. I predict that we will wait long for one. Very long.
Just wanted to make sure Cš-L owners here knew about the "draft manual" on the MattTech Modular site:
https://matttechmodular.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Cs-L-Draft-Manual.pdf
(Note-not sure if this is the same thing as the manual draft from naturarerum, as I never got his google docs page to open, possibly just blocked on this computer).

Helpful info for sure, but yeah...full manual from Instruo will hopefully come soon.

BTW, also be sure to check out the "mod routing" pdf linked in Jason's (pinMode) post back on pg. 6 of this thread if you haven't already-only a couple of diagrams but may fill in some blanks for people.

PS-I actually don't have a Cs-L myself yet, but have been following this thread with interest and listening to the demos. Decided today that I will be buying one within a week to replace my DPO. Should be getting a decent annual bonus in paycheck next Friday (takes my employer a few months to get them out after end of fiscal year 3/31) and assume some US dealers will have Memorial Day sales (-10% off), so perfect timing. Was considering doing a 4ms SWN>SMR swap instead, but think I will enjoy this more, and haven't spent the time fully exploring the SMR to give it a fair chance like I have the DPO.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky

Return to “Eurorack Modules”