Instruō - Cš-L complex oscillator [CS-L]

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Wed May 22, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for the shout out
:tu:

...yes, that was a draft word document of the manual Jason from Instruo sent me. I just formatted it slightly and uploaded it to my site. There is also a graphic which explains some of the internal routings, linked to on the same page of my site (Cs-L page)

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Wed May 22, 2019 8:26 pm

I'm so damn happy I got into Eurorack... This oscillator is one of the best things I've used and I basically don't know what I'm doing!

Here's my first patch using a single oscillator.

https://soundcloud.com/birth_chord/mudra-morph

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Wed May 22, 2019 9:09 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:I'm so damn happy I got into Eurorack... This oscillator is one of the best things I've used and I basically don't know what I'm doing!

Here's my first patch using a single oscillator.

:sb: Rock on!
It's definitely the most fun I've ever had with a pair of oscillators.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Wed May 22, 2019 9:22 pm

I was just playing with the tuning, plugged a cable in and bam! My first Eurorack “no idea what I just did but sounds decent” moment... already considering another Instruo module due to the quality of this. Arbhar I’m thinking...

Edit:

As a complete noob with this device and Eurorack in general, is there any diagram of I/O for the Cs-L? I don't want to plug any outputs into other outputs...

Are the only outputs on the right hand side of the module along the edge? All the waves plus FINAL and MULTIPLY? Looking at all the other jacks, it looks like there are no other outputs? But I can't tell...

Also, is an envelope useful with the Cs-L? I know how envelopes are used in prebuilt synths but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around their use with oscillators like the Cs-L.

jsp549
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jsp549 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:Also, is an envelope useful with the Cs-L? I know how envelopes are used in prebuilt synths but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around their use with oscillators like the Cs-L.

Envelopes work fantastically on it. Yesterday I made a bass patch using Oscillator B's Final output. If you hold/shift and press the sub button, you'll be sending Oscillator A to modulate the Wavefolder fader (In addition, holding shift and pressing the Link button to send A into B's symmetry parameter is optional) . Tune the oscillators to create a harmonic tone. I found that having both oscillators tuned pretty low makes for a really beautiful distorted bass. Turn the index all the way down, and send an envelope with a quick attack and a medium decay into the Index, and attenuate it with the respective CV attenuverter.

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:As a complete noob with this device and Eurorack in general, is there any diagram of I/O for the Cs-L? I don't want to plug any outputs into other outputs...

Are the only outputs on the right hand side of the module along the edge? All the waves plus FINAL and MULTIPLY? Looking at all the other jacks, it looks like there are no other outputs? But I can't tell...

Also, is an envelope useful with the Cs-L? I know how envelopes are used in prebuilt synths but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around their use with oscillators like the Cs-L.
You could use an ENV to modulate lots of point on Cs-L: fold amount, pitch, index amount, pulse width, etc.

There are a couple great overviews that explain everything...

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Thu May 23, 2019 3:14 pm

Yea I watched the first video before I bought it and again after, so unless I’m mistaken what I said is correct, that the only outputs are the right hand side waves (including the PWM output) plus finals and multiply. At least I hope I’m not mistaken... been plugging things in left and right.

As for the envelope I guess I just need to familiarize myself with how they’re used in general. Sometimes I forget it’s just a voltage that varies over time which would be useful to vary the timbre over a time given a gate input, much different and more open than the average amp/filter envelope.

Precarious
Common Wiggler

Post by Precarious » Thu May 23, 2019 3:26 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:As for the envelope I guess I just need to familiarize myself with how they’re used in general. Sometimes I forget it’s just a voltage that varies over time which would be useful to vary the timbre over a time given a gate input, much different and more open than the average amp/filter envelope.
Yeah, smart way to look at everything is just as voltage varied over time. An ENV goes up and down and if you loop it it's basically an LFO. Anywhere you'd imagine using an LFO can also make sense to use an ENV. You can make a sharp attack with a short ENV over fold. Have each note start as pure sine wave then use a slow attack ENV over the index to fade in modulation. Tons of possibilities.

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Thu May 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Birth_Chord wrote: Also, is an envelope useful with the Cs-L? I know how envelopes are used in prebuilt synths but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around their use with oscillators like the Cs-L.
You bet they are! Get Maths. And a low pass gate.

Not to sound condescending, but if you are a beginner this is not how you start your modular journey. It's like being put into a cockpit of a Formula 1 car when you've just gotten your driving license. No reason you can't learn how to drive it obviously, you just have to put a lot of time into it (at least a few months if you are doing music full time). Don't expect it to be anything like playing a Moog or a Juno.

As you might already know the Cs-L is based on Don Buchla's complex oscillator design. So it's a good idea to start with Todd Barton's video on the Buchla 259: https://vimeo.com/137696291

James Cigler's DPO tutorial video is very good as well:https://vimeo.com/48416218

The Cs-L crams even more features than those two in a smaller package, so no wonder it's confusing. When I first saw it it made no sense to me and I actually bought its little brother, the Ts-L to pair up with the STO that I already had. Now that it's been out for a while and there's more information on it, I think it'll be my next purchase.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Thu May 23, 2019 4:22 pm

I did study computer/electrical engineering in university so it’s not particularly foreign from a scientific standpoint. I’ve also been playing guitar since 5th grade and play 3 other acoustic instruments. My current task lies in combining musicality and the scientific aspect of the synthesis (aka the confusion between the musical effects of an envelope vs. considering it a repeatable varying voltage over time).

Also it’s not particularly my fault there isn’t an official manual which, besides the video, one wouldn’t really be able to determine what does what or that the outer four buttons when shifted route to the inner four wavefolding variables, even if using an oscilloscope. It’d be difficult to reverse engineer some of the routings by looking at a wave, perhaps even for a veteran. Ever since getting the Octatrack I enjoy manuals. I know there was a draft manual released which is nice.

What are your favorite modules you've paired with the Cs-L? I find the Vector Space extremely gratifying due to the huge amount of varied/synced modulation sources... But then again other than LFOs from elsewhere and a delay/looper it's all I've got to modulate the Cs-L.

sendepause
Common Wiggler

Post by sendepause » Wed May 29, 2019 3:04 am

Have lots of fun with the tonal capacity of the Cs-L...

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

moogah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moogah » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:23 pm

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I'm having trouble understanding how the RING/AM/RECT and SYNC buttons work when assigning stuff in the mod matrix.

It seems like I can get FM of either oscillator with neither RING* and SYNC lit up when I press the button, but I've yet to find a clear understanding of what each button does when it's lit up.

I think I'm also experiencing the issue some others have where the pitch of an osc will change quite a bit as I turn up the FM knob.. but this seems to go away depending on which button (RING*, SYNC) is lit up.

Any insight is appreciated, loving the tones I'm getting out of this but since it appears to be an earlier serial number (can't remember, but it had some letters and 02.. bought from Perfect Circuit audio and I kinda wonder if they were extra clever and used a few characters at the start of the serial number to identify which vendor they sold it to.)

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:07 am

Just a quick note - FM won’t keep your pitch stable across all settings, nature of the beast.

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:56 pm

moogah wrote:Sorry if this has been covered already, but I'm having trouble understanding how the RING/AM/RECT and SYNC buttons work when assigning stuff in the mod matrix.

It seems like I can get FM of either oscillator with neither RING* and SYNC lit up when I press the button, but I've yet to find a clear understanding of what each button does when it's lit up.
The info in this "draft manual" for the Cs-L might help regarding the buttons:
https://matttechmodular.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Cs-L-Draft-Manual.pdf
See the "Multiply Section", "Other Top-Level Panel Controls" and "Index" sections.

Got mine right before last weekend. Still exploring and getting familiar with the panel myself, but enjoying it greatly-already on its way to "favorite VCO" status in my case, or at least in the top 3 based on results so far.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky

moogah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moogah » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:25 am

joskery wrote:Just a quick note - FM won’t keep your pitch stable across all settings, nature of the beast.
yea, I guess I just assumed this was a TZ vco given all the other great features it had, so the pitch changes now totally make sense.

Another read through of the draft manual and looking at the graphic posted and I think I understand better now. RING/AM/RECT will route the sine out from Osc B to Osc A, and SYNC will route sine out from Osc A to Osc B.

.. and that would make sense if I didn't get FM when neither were lit up. Maybe when it's not lit then the output of the mod bus is sent?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:21 pm

First seashell patch.

[video][/video]
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

pawwa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pawwa » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 am

Got the module just recently and made first recordings.

In the first video I summed both FINAL outs in a mixer, while both oscillators were set to modulate the opposite oscillator's symmetry bias offset and wavefolding depth. The second one is Cs-L in a techno setting for some groovy toms/drums (via Optomix) and a drone via the MULTIPLY output.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:17 am

pawwa wrote:Got the module just recently and made first recordings.

In the first video I summed both FINAL outs in a mixer, while both oscillators were set to modulate the opposite oscillator's symmetry bias offset and wavefolding depth. The second one is Cs-L in a techno setting for some groovy toms/drums (via Optomix) and a drone via the MULTIPLY output.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]
I don't know much about this technical music, but I quite liked that. Economical. Could have listened to more. :tu:

Plumbstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Plumbstone » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks for making this available. Helped cleared up a few things even after watching Jason's video several times...

And then I spotted this...

"With the faders all the way down, the wavefolder can actually be accessed independently from the oscillator. A signal patched into the symmetry input will run through the folder."

Double bonus!

matttech wrote:Thanks for the shout out

...yes, that was a draft word document of the manual Jason from Instruo sent me. I just formatted it slightly and uploaded it to my site. There is also a graphic which explains some of the internal routings, linked to on the same page of my site (Cs-L page)

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Plumbstone wrote:Thanks for making this available. Helped cleared up a few things even after watching Jason's video several times...

"With the faders all the way down, the wavefolder can actually be accessed independently from the oscillator. A signal patched into the symmetry input will run through the folder."

Double bonus!

no worries! - yeah, it's great that you can run external stuff through the folders. top notch

jfprimeau
Common Wiggler

Post by jfprimeau » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am

Plumbstone wrote:Thanks for making this available. Helped cleared up a few things even after watching Jason's video several times...

Double bonus!

That's way cool! Something new to try on it next time. This oscillator just keeps on giving! The more I use it, the better I like it.

Plumbstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Plumbstone » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Yeah it really is a special bit of kit. An instant classic.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Can someone make a video of a separate oscillator's sine going into the Cs-L wavefolder.

I feel like the feature is probably with some caveats so I just wanna see someone explore it.

pawwa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pawwa » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:50 pm

^ I didn't have the oscilloscope with me to test the resulting waves, but it works and sounds like I'd expect it to sound, and one of the caveats is a bit of audible noise as mentioned in the thread when the fader is closed while moving the symmetry bias knob, which seems expected with the design and folders in general.

I explored audio-rate modulation of the symmetry bias using the Malekko Richter Oscillator II. As both oscillators have such a huge range the result sounds completely nuts, like some kind of precise noise if you push it.

[video][/video]

jsp549
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jsp549 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:02 am

Anyone feel like the potentiometers used for the FM and Fine Tune are a bit imprecise? Sending in an LFO for vibrato via both oscillators' FM inputs at minimum allows for a ± 5 cent vibrato. I wish it could do a little less

Return to “Eurorack Modules”