Instruō - Cš-L complex oscillator [CS-L]

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:47 am

Pighood wrote:
The Grump wrote:What an amazingly sick and disturbed sounding module. Mine will arrive in a few hours and I'm practically doing the peepee dance, waiting for the fedex guy to appear.
So you be all like :fap:
Nahh, I had to ride my bike. Doing both at the same time? I'm just not that talented. And for some strange reason, folks get all bent out of shape when I try. :despair:

But on a brighter note, it's here, and it sounds FUCKING AMAZING. I've messed with complex oscillators before, but not like this one. This thing's a keeper. Much more musical than I was expecting, and pairs surprisingly well with the Graphic VCO. Best piece of kit I've acquired in a long time.

naturarerum
Common Wiggler

Post by naturarerum » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:16 am

naturarerum wrote:hey folks, drowld and I noticed a strange behavior when FMing OSC A with OSC B. if you want to skip the explanation, video is below.

basically, what happens is that somewhere between 3 and 4 o'clock on the knob, oscillator B's effect on the frequency of oscillator A stops being a sine wave, but instead clips/folds, which changes the character of the FM completely. This only happens on B-->A, not the other way around.

do you think this is normal? we have 2 modules and they both exhibit the same behavior.

[video][/video]
hi everyone, since this thread seems to be getting a lot of activity, I want to bump this question I asked a while ago. who else finds this behavior on their Cs-L?

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:33 am

Last edited by synonymist on Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:04 pm

Just got back from Synthfest with a CS-L, thought I’d share the first patch because quite frankly, it’s scared the living hell out of me and I’m instantly in love! All sounds from CS-L with some modulation!

[Video][/Video]

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:03 am

This piece started as a reason to try my new Particle 2 pedal (which is mono, I finally noticed), but ended up being a kind of Cš-L timbre study. My opinion of Cš-L rose yet higher tonight. It is very powerful and it sounds fantastic. Session notes are at the track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/decantations

Yoko
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yoko » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:11 pm

MossGarden wrote:Just got back from Synthfest with a CS-L, thought I’d share the first patch because quite frankly, it’s scared the living hell out of me and I’m instantly in love! All sounds from CS-L with some modulation!

[Video][/Video]
Holy cow this is crazy! Right up my street :hyper:
Had the CS-L in the back of my mind for a while now but after hearing this, I might need to move it up in my priority list!

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:17 pm

MossGarden wrote:Just got back from Synthfest with a CS-L, thought I’d share the first patch because quite frankly, it’s scared the living hell out of me and I’m instantly in love! All sounds from CS-L with some modulation!

[Video][/Video]
What exactly are you modulating with Planar?

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:38 am

guigui wrote:

[Video][/Video]
What exactly are you modulating with Planar?
If I recall correctly, I had X/Y patched to both wavefolders, and a couple of quadrants patched to wavefold symmetry. wavefolders at zero kills the signal, then I can bring in that huge kick drum at will. :deadbanana:

urtzurd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by urtzurd » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:11 am

The CS-L is a wonderful module with a huge variety of timbres indeed. After a few months, I still feel I’m just scratching the surface of what it can do. I did a short informal presentation to introduce analog synthesis to my work colleagues, and I recorded a video with it showing the basics on how it works, including some audio examples:

[video][/video]

wajobumusic

Post by wajobumusic » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:59 am

I've been mired in indecision about what complex oscillator to get, but this CS-L looks like it could be the one!

wajobu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wajobu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:16 am

Sorry, I had a profile issue that Mod/Admin Sandy helped me sort out (thanks Sandy!). I have been between a DPO and CS-L...leaning to CS-L. This looks like a module that can do SO much more than just oscillate--so to speak.
wajobumusic wrote:I've been mired in indecision about what complex oscillator to get, but this CS-L looks like it could be the one!
On a reach and planing

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:32 am

It does, but even just doing the most basic of things, gets that stuff dead on, too. One quirk, though: it tracks a little bit strangely. I don't know if this is a function of the the temperature stabilization, or what, but it's a ghost in the machine, and when jumping through octaves, its response curves are just odd, but consistently. Like flatter then sharper then flatter then sharper again for intonation through four octaves, and it's noticeable when playing chords on other instruments, if the Cs-L is playing more sustained notes. That's not all bad, per se. In fact, it can be kind of cool because it adds a little bit of an organic feel to things. This is especially the case when doing FM/complex timbral stuff, and the oscillators are not linked.

rob_dylan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rob_dylan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:14 am

sendepause
Common Wiggler

Post by sendepause » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:08 am

rob_dylan wrote:The official CS-L manual is out:

https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-conte ... o7fkVzL1sU

:party:
...and there was much rejoicing...!
:guinness:

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Agree that it's great to have the official full manual out now-looks really nice, and especially like the patch examples, will definitely check those out for new ideas and inspiration. Loving my Cs-L so far, awesome sounding and so many possibilities.

However, I didn't see anything in the manual covering calibration. Not sure mine is tracking as well as it should over a reasonably wide range, and would like to think user calibration is possible on a high end analog osc like the Cs-L (assuming the appropriate level of confidence and use of proper tools on part of the owner).

Possible to add a short section describing the calibration procedure in a future update, or maybe Instruo could post something here or add a separate brief pdf on their site in the meantime?
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:31 pm

nostalghia wrote:Agree that it's great to have the official full manual out now-looks really nice, and especially like the patch examples, will definitely check those out for new ideas and inspiration. Loving my Cs-L so far, awesome sounding and so many possibilities.

However, I didn't see anything in the manual covering calibration. Not sure mine is tracking as well as it should over a reasonably wide range, and would like to think user calibration is possible on a high end analog osc like the Cs-L (assuming the appropriate level of confidence and use of proper tools on part of the owner).

Possible to add a short section describing the calibration procedure in a future update, or maybe Instruo could post something here or add a separate brief pdf on their site in the meantime?
I contacted Jason directly regarding this exact issue, and he got back to me very quickly with a very well written procedure. Admittedly, it is a littel time consuming to get it as close to spot on as it can get, as it's a little quirky. By that I mean on my unit, the oscillators do not track in a linear manner across the octaves. I tuned mine to be pretty well dead on at two octaves apart, but this leaves the first octave a cent or two flat, the second octave dead on, third octave a little flat, and the fourth octave a bit sharp. And that is just what it is, but to be honest, I don't mind the imperfection.

Just email Jason and he'll walk you right through it.

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:19 pm

The Grump wrote: Just email Jason and he'll walk you right through it.
Thanks-will certainly do that. Still think they need to add that info to the manual and/or website so users don’t have to keep emailing him for it. Calibration directions are included in the manual for majority of the oscillators I’ve ever had.

Think I’m probably fine with it being difficult if not impossible to get tracking perfectly over more than a few octaves too. My DPO was like that. The Cs-L replaced it in my main case but haven’t sold it, may reorganize, get larger case in a few years and bring it back into active duty.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:12 pm

does anybody understand exactly how the Multiply circuit works? How come in the manul the top Multiply circuit is named "Multiply Modulator Input" and the bottom is named "Multiply Carrier Input" when both the top and bottom oscillators can both be either Carriers or Modulators. I'm a bit confused on the signal flow of this. If I do some sort of FM, does that go into the Multiply circuit?

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:34 pm

I think my CS-L is possibly defective. When no modulation is on, and both FM knobs are at 0, I'm hearing Oscillator A bleed through into Oscillator B, when I pipe out Final B alone to my mixer. Any ideas guys? Here's a video to show you what I mean:

Last edited by zerodivide on Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:11 pm

I recommend watching the video he made and see if you've missed something. I don't have one but it does seem easy to overlook.
THUMPR BC SC

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:31 pm

zerodivide wrote:does anybody understand exactly how the Multiply circuit works? How come in the manul the top Multiply circuit is named "Multiply Modulator Input" and the bottom is named "Multiply Carrier Input" when both the top and bottom oscillators can both be either Carriers or Modulators. I'm a bit confused on the signal flow of this. If I do some sort of FM, does that go into the Multiply circuit?
You don't have to use either of the onboard oscillators as carrier or modulator. They are just normaled into either side, respectively.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:04 am

hawkfuzz wrote:I recommend watching the video he made and see if you've missed something. I don't have one but it does seem easy to overlook.
yeah I have learned most of this synth inside out. the bleed-through never happened before and doesn't happen when I pipe out the other Final output. Something is wrong with my unit I'm 98% sure

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:59 am

zerodivide wrote:
hawkfuzz wrote:I recommend watching the video he made and see if you've missed something. I don't have one but it does seem easy to overlook.
yeah I have learned most of this synth inside out. the bleed-through never happened before and doesn't happen when I pipe out the other Final output. Something is wrong with my unit I'm 98% sure
Look at your wavefolders. Your CV attenuverters are turned up. You are sending the sine out of Osc A to Osc B, so of course as you modulate A, it will affect B. That's part of the wavefolder's job. That's why you use the Final output. Your unit appears to be functioning normally to me. *shrugs

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:08 am

The Grump wrote:
zerodivide wrote:
Look at your wavefolders. Your CV attenuverters are turned up. You are sending the sine out of Osc A to Osc B, so of course as you modulate A, it will affect B. That's part of the wavefolder's job. That's why you use the Final output. Your unit appears to be functioning normally to me. *shrugs
how am I sending sine out of A to B here? Cross-modulation of Wavefolding between A and B is supposed to only happen if the Mod or Sub Button are "on" when holding down the index button. Wavefolding modulation from A to B isn't happening, I'm actually hearing Oscillator A through B's output.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:24 pm

and link & lfo button

your ofset is not right in the middle so maybe that's why this happens?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”