Instruō - Cš-L complex oscillator [CS-L]

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Instruō - Cš-L complex oscillator [CS-L]

Post by rayultine » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:47 pm

I'm almost done going through the manual, and I have to say my time with this module already is worth the price of Eurorack admission

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:59 pm

rayultine wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:47 pm
I'm almost done going through the manual, and I have to say my time with this module already is worth the price of Eurorack admission
Got mine yesterday! :goo:

Aliens have invaded my studio. My neighbors are totally screwed.

This oscillator is a mad scientist’s workshop in 26hp. :zombie:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:26 pm

It really is more than the sum of its parts.
909, manic trilling courtesy of Make Noise René and DPO, wavetable bass by Disting and some soft melodies by the Korg Minilogue. I mainly sat and watched it all unfold. :eek:

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Anyone have black Rogan knobs on theirs??

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:11 am

Hi, could I trouble one of you lucky CS-L owners to record a few slow and fast sweeps of each oscillator’s individual outs (mainly triangle, square and saw) please, and stick it here or on soundcloud for download? As I’m really curious how these sound.

joncharliefeathers
Common Wiggler

Post by joncharliefeathers » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:52 am

here you go..

starting with the lower osc square wave, sub 1 and sub 2. followed by primary osc triangle, saw then sine.

a slow sweep up and down. the primary frq is set full anticlockwise whereas the 2nd is pitched up a little to bring the sub waves within a reasonable context.
Attachments
cs=l waves.mp3
(5.28 MiB) Downloaded 4 times

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks, joncharliefeathers! Appreciated!
Sounds fantastic. Very smooth and deep actually.
joncharliefeathers wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:52 am
here you go..

starting with the lower osc square wave, sub 1 and sub 2. followed by primary osc triangle, saw then sine.

a slow sweep up and down. the primary frq is set full anticlockwise whereas the 2nd is pitched up a little to bring the sub waves within a reasonable context.

joncharliefeathers
Common Wiggler

Post by joncharliefeathers » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:00 am

Your welcome strange attraction. Did it help?

Kawouddd
Common Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Entirely thanks to this forum, I ordered one of these today in place of the DPO I had been hankering after. Realised I was excited about the prospect of a cs-l in a way that I just wasn’t about the DPO. Excited!

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:15 pm

joncharliefeathers wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:00 am
Your welcome strange attraction. Did it help?
Yes, that's brilliant! Definitely interested. Just need to "move" a couple of modules first.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:38 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:41 pm
Entirely thanks to this forum, I ordered one of these today in place of the DPO I had been hankering after. Realised I was excited about the prospect of a cs-l in a way that I just wasn’t about the DPO. Excited!
I'm swapping my CS-L for a DPO I think :)

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:16 pm

Do the potentiometers on all the instruo modules seem to have a lot of backlash to you all? They feel great otherwise, but it can be a little difficult to really dial things in with all that wiggle room. I have not heard many people mention this, but I did see one video on youtube talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZAg-jT0C6w&t=4s

Is it the same for everyone (and also across modules)?

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:20 am

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:16 pm
Do the potentiometers on all the instruo modules seem to have a lot of backlash to you all? They feel great otherwise, but it can be a little difficult to really dial things in with all that wiggle room. I have not heard many people mention this, but I did see one video on youtube talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZAg-jT0C6w&t=4s

Is it the same for everyone (and also across modules)?
I have a Cs-l and I read about some “play” in the large Osc tune knobs. I just got mine a few weeks ago so I tried a couple of slight pitch tunes and fm’d them in various ways (so many ways!) I didn’t notice any issues at all. As for the other knobs, I notice on some settings the the other knobs might have a more defined sweet spot. But I chock that up to frequency manipulation, not being equal in all amounts to all degrees, rather than some kind of defect. In fact I’m rather impressed with the rage on the vca’s and fm knobs and being able to use them (mentioned in the manual) at 1v/oct when maxed out. In fact thinking about it, I’m hard pressed to come up with any VCO modules in my kit that I could claim had such a massive useable range. But I must admit I prefer the low end of sounds that scare dogs and children. :woah:

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:25 am

I just tested the Cs-L the other day, after over a year of using it. It tracks perfectly over six octaves—perfectly. It sets a benchmark for analog osc performance.

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:54 am

I think you guys are misunderstanding me, I am not saying anything about usable range or tracking, I am just talking about the potentiometer backlash. For example, if I am turning the pitch knob clockwise to turn up the pitch and then I want to turn the pitch down and I start turning the knob counter-clockwise I have to rotate it a bit counter-clockwise before the pitch actually starts decreasing (and vice versa). The cs-l I have has a lot more backlash than any other modules I have used and was wondering if they are all like this or it is just my module.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:24 pm

No misunderstanding--I was posting an observation about a tracking test unrelated to your issue. Speaking to your issue, I haven't noticed anything unusual when tuning the Cs-L--it seems easy to tune. Maybe I'm not noticing the effect you mention, but if I can dial in a tuning without a problem--it's ok with me.

:tu:

maisonvague
Common Wiggler

Post by maisonvague » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:59 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:54 am
I think you guys are misunderstanding me, I am not saying anything about usable range or tracking, I am just talking about the potentiometer backlash.
I would describe the effect as “play” (as in “the play of the steering wheel of a car”) rather than “backlash” (which is something different altogether). Mine exhibits the same behavior.

I don't consider it a defect, however, but rather a small blessing, as it prevents de-tuning by the slightest touch.

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 pm

maisonvague wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:59 pm
HenryBurlingame wrote:
I think you guys are misunderstanding me, I am not saying anything about usable range or tracking, I am just talking about the potentiometer backlash.
I would describe the effect as “play” (as in “the play of the steering wheel of a car”) rather than “backlash” (which is something different altogether). Mine exhibits the same behavior.
Thanks for letting me know I am not alone or crazy :tu:.

The technical term is backlash however, for example see:
https://www.doeeet.com/content/eee-comp ... resistors/

maisonvague
Common Wiggler

Post by maisonvague » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:14 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 pm
maisonvague wrote:
HenryBurlingame wrote:

No, you're not crazy (though I'm not sure I can say the same about myself).

Thanks for calling my attention to the technical use of the term "backlash". I wasn't aware of it.

As for other Instruō potentiometers having exceptional amounts of "backlash" I'll need to get back with you on that as there are quite a few on my system to examine. :razz:

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:51 pm

maisonvague wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:14 pm
HenryBurlingame wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 pm
maisonvague wrote:
HenryBurlingame wrote:

No, you're not crazy (though I'm not sure I can say the same about myself).

Thanks for calling my attention to the technical use of the term "backlash". I wasn't aware of it.

As for other Instruō potentiometers having exceptional amounts of "backlash" I'll need to get back with you on that as there are quite a few on my system to examine. :razz:

Now that is a system I am jealous of! You already have a lion I see. I have an arbhar on preorder that I am super excited about, maybe next month fingers crossed :).

maisonvague
Common Wiggler

Post by maisonvague » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:13 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:51 pm
I have an arbhar on preorder that I am super excited about, maybe next month fingers crossed :).
Arbhar is indeed something to be excited about. :party:

Of all the Instruō modules I have, I'd say that one’s the most spectacular. It can almost be too much at times.

Speaking of arbhar, I just tested its primary potentiometer, the scan knob. It has a similar amount of backlash as the oscillator frequency knobs of the Cš-L.

Again, I see this as a positive, as it helps prevent unwanted changes if you accidentally brush up against the potentiometer while reaching for something else. I don’t know if this was a design decision or not, but so far I’ve not found the backlash to be a problem on any of the Instruō modules, even when tuning oscillators.

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:19 pm

maisonvague wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:13 pm
HenryBurlingame wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:51 pm
I have an arbhar on preorder that I am super excited about, maybe next month fingers crossed :).
Arbhar is indeed something to be excited about. :party:

Of all the Instruō modules I have, I'd say that one’s the most spectacular. It can almost be too much at times.

Speaking of arbhar, I just tested its primary potentiometer, the scan knob. It has a similar amount of backlash as the oscillator frequency knobs of the Cš-L.

Again, I see this as a positive, as it helps prevent unwanted changes if you accidentally brush up against the potentiometer while reaching for something else. I don’t know if this was a design decision or not, but so far I’ve not found the backlash to be a problem on any of the Instruō modules, even when tuning oscillators.
Yes, I am excited about hooking the ochd up to it for sure (didn't notice one of these in your system :)).

Great to know about the knobs, thank you so much again for letting me know! I am loving my Cs-l. I got an STO as a second oscillator, but I am thinking maybe I should have gone with a Ts-l, then I would have a small oscillator I would also love to have in a portable case.

Best!

maisonvague
Common Wiggler

Post by maisonvague » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:26 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:19 pm
Yes, I am excited about hooking the ochd up to it for sure (didn't notice one of these in your system :)).
That’s because it’s been out of stock for weeks. :mad:

Maybe next month. Fingers crossed. :lol:

HenryBurlingame
Common Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 pm

Been playing around with this thing A LOT for the last week. Probably my favorite sounding complex oscillator and I love all the variety of sounds you can get. My one pet peeve is the noise/bleed on the wavefolder outputs that you can hear when they are fully to the left (the top oscillator is worse in this regard). Just something you have to avoid, but it is annoying when you are wanting to "strike" the wavefolder or when you want to isolate an external signal for wavefolding. If it were not for this I think the module would be nearly perfect.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:36 pm

HenryBurlingame wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 pm
Been playing around with this thing A LOT for the last week. Probably my favorite sounding complex oscillator and I love all the variety of sounds you can get. My one pet peeve is the noise/bleed on the wavefolder outputs that you can hear when they are fully to the left (the top oscillator is worse in this regard). Just something you have to avoid, but it is annoying when you are wanting to "strike" the wavefolder or when you want to isolate an external signal for wavefolding. If it were not for this I think the module would be nearly perfect.
Not noticed this on mine though it does have a hefty signal. Only bleed I’ve notice is through my VCA.

Is it perhaps because of an internal routing? There are so many I could see having one on and forgetting about it.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”