What’s the deal with this New Morgasmatron???

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

What’s the deal with this New Morgasmatron???

Post by jjmcclear » Tue May 22, 2018 12:34 am

I just got a new Morgasmatron Last week. And it seems like I get like almost zero resonance with either of the two low pass modes. I get some in the other modes, but man... it’s kinda weak, and I’m cranking it all the way (with and without the Q drive turned up). Am I missing something here, or is this filter just like that? Really kinda wishing I had gotten the Malekko Dual Borg instead. :/

And incidentally, I’ve been trying to exchange it but... I haven’t heard back from Detroit Modular at all. It’s been almost a week now, and I’ve gotten zero response to any of my emails about an exchange. It’s weird. They’re usually really great about that stuff. Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

Jesse

Below is a Morgasmatron demo video that I did for you guys. :) Enjoy!

[video][/video]

Last edited by jjmcclear on Wed May 23, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue May 22, 2018 2:21 am

That does sound odd. You only have to look at the original Korgasmatron and it resonates. Don't own one of the new ones though, sorry. Have you contacted Intellijel?
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 am

I read someone else talk about this on another thread on here. Danjel chipped in and explained that it is something to do with one of the other controls. Can’t remember which off the top of my head...might well have been the Q Drive though, so have a play with that.

Resonance is often reduced with high gain input signals as well (happens on a lot of filters)

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:20 am

Last edited by insoul8 on Tue May 22, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonyfromthetigercage
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tonyfromthetigercage » Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 am

Page 7 of the manual:

"Q-DRIVE - ​Adds additional drive to the filter resonance. This keeps resonance levels high as the gain levels increase, while providing a warming “growl” at mid Q values.

Resonance in the classic MS-20 filter reaches its maximum output at lower input volumes, which means — as you continue to add gain — you begin to drown out the resonance. To negate this effect, Morgasmatron feeds resonance back into the filter at an amount determined by the Q-DRIVE knob, thus preventing resonance from being “drowned out” at higher amplitudes.

If Q is turned down, then Q-DRIVE will have no effect. You need to have some amount of resonance in order for Q-DRIVE to work."

As you mentioned you already had the Q-DRIVE turned up.... only thing I can think of is that maybe you have the input cranked too much?

It's taken me a bit of fiddling to get used to the filters, but this thing is definitely capable of some NASTY lowpass sweeps.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 am

I'm not even sure I even get that much resonance. Especially on the LP modes. I'll check it again.
insoul8 wrote:viewtopic.php?t=197150&highlight=

[video][/video]

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 am

Hmmm okay

The LP modes on this one don't seem to get very sweepy at all really, at any level. I've fiddled and fiddled but. The resonance is very light.

tonyfromthetigercage wrote:Page 7 of the manual:

"Q-DRIVE - ​Adds additional drive to the filter resonance. This keeps resonance levels high as the gain levels increase, while providing a warming “growl” at mid Q values.

Resonance in the classic MS-20 filter reaches its maximum output at lower input volumes, which means — as you continue to add gain — you begin to drown out the resonance. To negate this effect, Morgasmatron feeds resonance back into the filter at an amount determined by the Q-DRIVE knob, thus preventing resonance from being “drowned out” at higher amplitudes.

If Q is turned down, then Q-DRIVE will have no effect. You need to have some amount of resonance in order for Q-DRIVE to work."

As you mentioned you already had the Q-DRIVE turned up.... only thing I can think of is that maybe you have the input cranked too much?

It's taken me a bit of fiddling to get used to the filters, but this thing is definitely capable of some NASTY lowpass sweeps.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Tue May 22, 2018 10:30 am

Q Drive helps a little towards the mid/high range of the filter. Not a ton though. It's just a bit disappointing.

matttech wrote:I read someone else talk about this on another thread on here. Danjel chipped in and explained that it is something to do with one of the other controls. Can’t remember which off the top of my head...might well have been the Q Drive though, so have a play with that.

Resonance is often reduced with high gain input signals as well (happens on a lot of filters)

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 am

I should look at older versions on youtube. I might contact Detroit Modular one more time, see if they'll do an exchange. If that doesn't work, I don't know.
cptnal wrote:That does sound odd. You only have to look at the original Korgasmatron and it resonates. Don't own one of the new ones though, sorry. Have you contacted Intellijel?

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:33 am

jjmcclear wrote:I should look at older versions on youtube. I might contact Detroit Modular one more time, see if they'll do an exchange. If that doesn't work, I don't know.
cptnal wrote:That does sound odd. You only have to look at the original Korgasmatron and it resonates. Don't own one of the new ones though, sorry. Have you contacted Intellijel?
Can you post a video so we can hear what you are hearing?

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 am

Thats a great idea! I'll see if I can do that tonight. Thanks!

Jesse

insoul8 wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:I should look at older versions on youtube. I might contact Detroit Modular one more time, see if they'll do an exchange. If that doesn't work, I don't know.
Can you post a video so we can hear what you are hearing?

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:33 am

jjmcclear wrote:Thats a great idea! I'll see if I can do that tonight. Thanks!
Cool. I have a Morgasmatron too and know what you are talking about but i have been able to get good resonance either by turning the gain down and turning q up or just using the q drive with the q turned up. It would be helpful to see what yours is doing. Also, try and replicate the settings in the video i posted above and see what you get.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjmcclear » Tue May 22, 2018 11:39 am

Okay, I will.

Incidentally. Detroit Modular finally got back to me. Apparently they were moving to a new location. Which I totally get.

insoul8 wrote:
Cool. I have a Morgasmatron too and know what you are talking about but i have been able to get good resonance either by turning the gain down and turning q up or just using the q drive with the q turned up. It would be helpful to see what yours is doing. Also, try and replicate the settings in the video i posted above and see what you get.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Tue May 22, 2018 12:30 pm

jjmcclear wrote:Q Drive helps a little towards the mid/high range of the filter. Not a ton though. It's just a bit disappointing.
I tend to believe it's exactly the same first impression I had with my Morgasmatron.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:43 pm

dbeats wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:Q Drive helps a little towards the mid/high range of the filter. Not a ton though. It's just a bit disappointing.
I tend to believe it's exactly the same first impression I had with my Morgasmatron.
Did you ever use the Corgasmatron or the Korgasmatron II? I wonder how different the Morgasmatron is in this respect?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue May 22, 2018 12:54 pm

dbeats wrote:
+1, hence my original post on the Morgasmatron resonance thread that was linked.

The filter is great for its features, just the resonance / drive is disappointing. And like others have mentioned in other filter threads, resonance is a big part of why I would chose one over the other.

Recently purchased a Polaris as an alternate, and find the resonance is much more satisfying and effective.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue May 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Here's a link to the other thread if anyone wants it?

viewtopic.php?t=197150&highlight=

Some useful information from the designers in it

goldplate
Common Wiggler

Post by goldplate » Tue May 22, 2018 3:21 pm

I have a Korgasmatron II and it resonates beautifully. Did you keep the input level knob cranked up maybe ? The normal level is at 12 o'clock, then its amplified and overdrives and as with any filter, this sucks a part of the resonance, but it fattens the input sound. But what's great with this module is the resonance drive knob, so it's possible to recover some resonance while getting this fat sound. I love this filter.

goldplate
Common Wiggler

Post by goldplate » Tue May 22, 2018 3:21 pm

EDIT: double post

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:53 pm

I’d really like to hear the Morgasmatron side by side with a Korgasmatron if anyone has both of them at the moment.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Wed May 23, 2018 7:20 am

insoul8 wrote:
dbeats wrote:
Did you ever use the Corgasmatron or the Korgasmatron II? I wonder how different the Morgasmatron is in this respect?
No, sorry, the only other Intellijel filter I ever owned is the one in my Atlantis. But that one and all other of my filters have a resonance behaviour as expected, more or less. The Morgasmatron was surprisingly thin, but I have to admit I haven't spent enough time with it yet.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Video Demo

Post by jjmcclear » Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Below is a Morgasmatron demo video that I did for you guys. :) Enjoy!

[video][/video]

insoul8 wrote:

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 pm

I got one of these this afternoon, spent the evening twisting knobs and watched your video, and I am not sure what the actual problem is. I have no problem getting more than enough resonance.

I’ve had a ton of filters and on the majority of them the resonance decreases right in line with the input level increasing. This one is the same, and the Q drive actually makes it easier to compensate for. I actual prefer that this filter kind of blends into the sound rather than sitting on top of it. Reminds me a bit of a Polivoks.

I doubt there is anything at all wrong with your Morgo, maybe it’s just not the filter for you. Personally I really dig it.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Video Demo

Post by insoul8 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 pm

jjmcclear wrote:Below is a Morgasmatron demo video that I did for you guys. :) Enjoy!

[video][/video]

insoul8 wrote:
Looks like your input gain is too high which will drown out the resonance. As intellijel said in the other thread, to let the resonance shine through without q drive, only turn the input gain up a quarter of the way. Half way is unity so you would need to amp it after the fact a bit. a Try it that way and see if the resonance comes through. Seems like it’s behaving as it should though and that’s why there is a q drive. It’s just a different type of filter.

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Video Demo

Post by jjmcclear » Wed May 23, 2018 10:10 pm

I see what you’re saying but, I feel like I have tried adjusting the input level before... although I don’t do that in this video. I guess this filter just isn’t for me. If people like it, that’s cool. I was excited about the options it had, over other MS-20 filter clones.

Thanks for your input guys! It’s great hearing from you guys on this stuff. Much appreciated.
insoul8 wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:Below is a Morgasmatron demo video that I did for you guys. :) Enjoy!

[video][/video]

insoul8 wrote:
Looks like your input gain is too high which will drown out the resonance. As intellijel said in the other thread, to let the resonance shine through without q drive, only turn the input gain up a quarter of the way. Half way is unity so you would need to amp it after the fact a bit. a Try it that way and see if the resonance comes through. Seems like it’s behaving as it should though and that’s why there is a q drive. It’s just a different type of filter.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”