What’s the deal with this New Morgasmatron???

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Wed May 23, 2018 11:34 pm

jjmclear's input is as high as it is in this intellijel vid where they get that MS20 goose honk of death sound even before turning on the distortion circuit at 0:20

Are y'all sure there isn't something funky with his module? It seems a bit more flaccid compared to other demos I have seen. Like, this vid has me Caustic Window dreamin

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed May 23, 2018 11:51 pm

Unfortunately it seems this is how the module is, as I've had two Morgasmatron and experience a similar response as well.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Thu May 24, 2018 2:40 am

rayultine wrote:jjmclear's input is as high as it is in this intellijel vid where they get that MS20 goose honk of death sound even before turning on the distortion circuit at 0:20

Are y'all sure there isn't something funky with his module?
I think so. In this nice Intellijel vid they start using both filters first and then xfade fully to the left filter which is in BP mode, not LP. Q-Drive is almost all the way up, whereas input level is only 50% and you never know how hot the incoming signal is, so you can't necessarily compare 1:1. Plus they do some FM modulation on the Rubicon 2 and probably also some Rainmaker final fx.

My Morga has practically no self resonance in LP1 and LP2 mode with Q-Drive at 0% (edit: starts with Q at 4 o'clock plus input att almost all the way down), but a fair amount in BP mode, and all 3 filter modes can get very self-resonant when adding 50%+ of Q-Drive. If in doubt, just turn down the input attenuator and you hear it. Works as designed, I believe. It's still a bit unusual, also for me, to work with two separate resonance knobs.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 am

dbeats wrote:
rayultine wrote:jjmclear's input is as high as it is in this intellijel vid where they get that MS20 goose honk of death sound even before turning on the distortion circuit at 0:20

Are y'all sure there isn't something funky with his module?
I think so. In this nice Intellijel vid they start using both filters first and then xfade fully to the left filter which is in BP mode, not LP. Q-Drive is almost all the way up, whereas input level is only 50% and you never know how hot the incoming signal is, so you can't necessarily compare 1:1. Plus they do some FM modulation on the Rubicon 2 and probably also some Rainmaker final fx.

My Morga has practically no self resonance in LP1 and LP2 mode with Q-Drive at 0% (edit: starts with Q at 4 o'clock plus input att almost all the way down), but a fair amount in BP mode, and all 3 filter modes can get very self-resonant when adding 50%+ of Q-Drive. If in doubt, just turn down the input attenuator and you hear it. Works as designed, I believe. It's still a bit unusual, also for me, to work with two separate resonance knobs.
Yea, came here to say this. You can't really compare the two vids as bandpass behaves quite differently. I had the same questions and concerns when i first got my Morgasmatron as well but after playing with it, i feel like i have finally unlocked it's potential. At the beginning, it seemed to go from no resonance or character to insane ms-20 driven resonance and squelch with no in between. But after playing with the input level (reducing it), making very subtle changes in the q and q drive, i have been able to get very characterful resonance. If needed, i use the boost on my quadvca to bring the level back up a bit. or you can run the filter in series and boost it back up that way. Lots of ways to work with it. But yes, it's not for everyone. I personally like how the resonance doesn't just sit on top of the sound like the more traditional Roland style filter though. i have other filters for that kind of sound. I think the Morgasmatron works especially beautifully with chord mode from my Shapeshifter whereas my Jove does not produce pleasing results in that scenario at all. It can't seem to handle all of the added harmonics and distorts in a bad way very easily. The Morgasmatron does not. But on the flip side, if i want that awesome Roland liquid resonance, feeding a saw through the Jove is like no other.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm

Still an unanswered question - is it more tame / harder to squelch than the Corga or KorgaII ?

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:29 pm

rayultine wrote:Still an unanswered question - is it more tame / harder to squelch than the Corga or KorgaII ?
This is what I'd really like to know. This is my first in the series though my Frostwave Resonator definitely has loads of resonance pretty easily and no q drive. Perhaps someone from Intellijel could chime in or even make us a quick comparison video? :help:

snes
Common Wiggler

Post by snes » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:37 pm

rayultine wrote:Still an unanswered question - is it more tame / harder to squelch than the Corga or KorgaII ?
I used to own a Korgasmatron II but did not compare side by side...from memory the filter sounded a bit more "Squelchy", like it screamed more at you...without a direct comparison though, i don't know for sure. This filter sounds amazing through the OD or other saturation pre-filter, it starts to howl more and benefits from OD or saturation greatly without breaking up the sound like some of my other filters.

ipassenger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ipassenger » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:38 am

I have the Korga2 but I would imagine it is the same here,

take a look at the waveforms of a saw osc passed through this filter with some resonance, compared to a more traditional filter. You will see the resonance grows around the zero line (0v), rather than the extreme positive and negative values of the waveform (the edges) as in a more traditional filter.

So when you feed it a square wave or other distorted loud waveform (or input gain high) there isn’t much room for the resonance to grow around the zero line of the wave. Hence the need for the q drive.

It’s just how it works, it’s like an opposite rule filter, I love it but it is certainly very different to your standard ones. Must be something to do with the topology and circuit design. I don’t know if the korg originally behaved this way too?

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Just to reiterate, turn the input level down, like waaay down, around 7-9 o clock

As a test, turn the input all the way down, and get the filter self resonating, then slowly bring the input in and resonance down.

SuperNiCd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SuperNiCd » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks for the tips in this thread. I didn’t really have a problem with the resonance in Morgy, but after reducing the input level I’m now finding it can be a lot more dramatic!

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:05 pm

SuperNiCd wrote:Thanks for the tips in this thread. I didn’t really have a problem with the resonance in Morgy, but after reducing the input level I’m now finding it can be a lot more dramatic!
From my exp, it wasn't the case.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Re: What’s the deal with this New Morgasmatron???

Post by Electro Something » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:27 am

What are some common Morgasmatron tips and patch ideas?

I love throwing an envelope from my Zadar into the Fade and use it as a VCA. And cranking up the Q sounds great. Playing it as an oscillator is dope. What else should I try?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:01 am

Use it as a ring mod if you don't have one. Also, I often use the Morgasmatron as a dual pinged percussion synth, sometimes cross modulating the channels.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:35 pm

Is this resonance thing an issue for most users? Is it hard to dial in? weaker than an ms 20 type filter would be expected, unless the input level is very low? I was considering checking out this filter but this thread makes me unsure.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:27 pm

Reducing drive/input level makes resonance come alive. It’s counter intuitive somewhat but it works.

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:37 pm

Attenuate your input. Too much gain will kill resonance

Return to “Eurorack Modules”