Steady State Fate Muton 8 channel VCA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:44 am

Can anyone else confirm or deny this behavior (inverting saved state on power cycle) on their unit? I’ve had such bad luck with QA on brand new modules (and good luck with used stuff!) lately, it’s like a bad joke. :despair:

LowOver
Common Wiggler

Post by LowOver » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:57 am

soon_come wrote:Can anyone else confirm or deny this behavior (inverting saved state on power cycle) on their unit? I’ve had such bad luck with QA on brand new modules (and good luck with used stuff!) lately, it’s like a bad joke. :despair:
mine powers up with all channels muted , regardless what i dialed in before.
...and i like it that way...

Bigwerm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bigwerm » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:52 am

The manual states that the unit defaults to all channels muted on power up. This is how my unit functions.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks Bigwerm, that’s helpful! I would honestly rather see that happen than this weird inverted save. Hi

Maybe SSF can confirm expected behavior, I would like to avoid another return and delay.

chiavere
Common Wiggler

Post by chiavere » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Mine also powers on fully muted.

I love this module - sounds great, and the multi-mix options are incredibly flexible/useful.

My only minor thought is that I wish the mute switches sat a little lower so you could “swipe” them without feeling like you would break them. As it is, they prevent accidental muting, which is great, too - but for more performative use, being able to swipe them on/off would be cool, but I understand the choice to lean towards minimizing accidental button-pushing.

Another winner, @analogPedagog !

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:50 pm

OK, more tests today...

Seems to work fine otherwise, including cascading and mutes. But it turns out that it doesn't always invert the saved state... it just powers on with random mutes on and off. Super strange. I think this has to go back to Perfect Circuit.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 pm

OK, Andrew at SSF responded quickly after direct contact:
The weird behavior would be normal if your psu is cycled on/off quickly.
depends on your psu and possibly other modules connected. The circuitry in the Muton will reset to mutes when power is fully discharged and then reapplied. It is possible that one of the power rails on your psu is not coming up to nominal voltage fast enough or not discharging fully when powered down. Could also be due to inrush current demand on power up. It would be difficult to say exactly without fully testing the psu.
They offered to take a look at it instead of me having to do a return, great service. After further testing, I see that it doesn't act this way after "warming up" for a while - interesting.

So now I suspect it's some inrush current not playing nicely with the 3x Zeus Studio Bus boards I'm powering with the recommended Cincon brick. They recommended the soft start from WMD as a possible solution. So, two questions now:

1) What are you all using to power the Muton (brick and boards)?

2) Has anyone else experienced something similar with this (or a different module) and solved it with a soft start?

I'd love some details on anyone's setup, both those who have replied and anyone else who happens to be able to chime in. Thanks!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Just picked one of these up. Seems like a no-brainer. I plan to use it first and foremost for muting trigger and gate streams, but it’s nice to have the option for mixing and additional VCAs. Buttons have a good feel.

The one thing that might’ve been nice would be activity LEDs, but you can’t have it all!

stephentrask
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stephentrask » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:Just picked one of these up. Seems like a no-brainer. I plan to use it first and foremost for muting trigger and gate streams, but it’s nice to have the option for mixing and additional VCAs. Buttons have a good feel.

The one thing that might’ve been nice would be activity LEDs, but you can’t have it all!
Perhaps this is the wrong question since you are primarily using this for CV but how does it sound? I am looking at this and the larger Erogenous Zones vc8. Aside from the obvious differences, I am curious about their respective sounds as VCAs.
i don't know what I'm doing but I sure like doing it.

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm

Just got mine.

It sounds very good, I kinda A/B compared with my Tangle Quartet and can't hear any difference.

stephentrask
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stephentrask » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 pm

Godphaser wrote:Just got mine.

It sounds very good, I kinda A/B compared with my Tangle Quartet and can't hear any difference.
Thank you. Are they both super clean? Do they saturate nicely? Similarly?
i don't know what I'm doing but I sure like doing it.

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:27 am

my ssf muton also has weird mute states on power up but that does not bother me much.
i run it in a Doepfer LC9 and it powers up with the first 2 and last 2 channels muted everytime.
i have not tried to move the power connection yet because it has not bothered me enough to try and "fix" this, i'm just posting to provide more information for anybody that is interested and/or experiences similar behaviour.

Brooks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brooks » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Mine's working perfectly. It powers on with all mutes active. It's a pretty great module. The mutes sound natural and musical without the inconsistency of a vactrol. I work in a professional recording facility, typically using high-end audio and must say it sounds very high quality while still being able to drive the signal.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:13 pm

I find if it's been powered off for more than a few seconds then it will power back up with all channels muted (expected behaviour).

If I do a quick power cycle, then it is pretty random what is muted and what isn't. I can live with that.

I really wish they had switched the psotion of the mute buttons with the Out jacks. That way you can control the space around the buttons for easier access (eg: mounting it on the edge of a case or have a module with some clear space positioned to the right of Muton).

As it stands, the mute buttons will always be sandwiched between cables and that layout is kinda awkward especially when a lot of cables are in use in Muton.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:43 pm

If I have three different audio signals plugged into 1-3 and took the output from 3 and plug a CV source into CV 3, would it work equally for all of them?
THUMPR BC SC

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:06 am

hawkfuzz wrote:If I have three different audio signals plugged into 1-3 and took the output from 3 and plug a CV source into CV 3, would it work equally for all of them?
The CV will control each channel independently but if you want to mute or control the whole mix, patch the output of 3 into ch 4 and use ch 4 CV/Mute.

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:25 pm

Anybody experiencing bleeding?

I have high frequency bleed from ch.4 onto ch.5.
I think only high frequency part is bleeding.
I sent it to SSF and they can't recreate it.

vqlk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Steady State Fate Muton 8 channel VCA

Post by vqlk » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:29 am

given that with no cv in the signal is unity gain, would using it just to mix two [or eight] audio signals result in clipping?
i'm out, go circle someone else's corpse.

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:22 am

I think the bleeding is getting worse on mine.

Pretty strong bleed from high frequencies, the higher the worse.

Is there anything that can be done besides sending it to SSF?
New York Modular Society - Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/wNvWey
All the links to what I do: https://nyms.love/user/benthegloriousbastard/

antonins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonins » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:16 am

This question is for anyone who has or know this module... I want to use it to attenuate stereo sources with external faders... I don't get if vcas are cascaded (if I use the cv of 1 fader for two-channel, do I need a mult).

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:13 am

antonins wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:16 am
This question is for anyone who has or know this module... I want to use it to attenuate stereo sources with external faders... I don't get if vcas are cascaded (if I use the cv of 1 fader for two-channel, do I need a mult).
The channel outputs are cascaded, but the CV inputs are not. I'm not sure how useful it would really be, because you can't set the VCA response to CV input per channel (as in Intellijel's Quad VCA, where both the CV inputs and the channel outputs cascade). You will have to mult the signal to spread it across multiple channels.

antonins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonins » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:24 am

closedLoop wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:13 am
antonins wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:16 am
The channel outputs are cascaded, but the CV inputs are not. I'm not sure how useful it would really be, because you can't set the VCA response to CV input per channel (as in Intellijel's Quad VCA, where both the CV inputs and the channel outputs cascade). You will have to mult the signal to spread it across multiple channels.
Thanks a lot for your answer :)

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:40 am

Godphaser wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:22 am
I think the bleeding is getting worse on mine.

Pretty strong bleed from high frequencies, the higher the worse.

Is there anything that can be done besides sending it to SSF?
Email them. I bet they'll have some incite.
THUMPR BC SC

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Discontinued according to MG
THUMPR BC SC

Return to “Eurorack Modules”