Befaco Burst

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:57 am

I’d say that the Wogglebug burst output and the Befaco Burst has no overlap. The WB is about random, the BB is about repeats and predictable patters.
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

sd_falter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sd_falter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 pm

edit: Solved, turned out I’d mixed up the 3x 10ks with the 3x 200ks on the main board.

Got a bit of an issue with my Burst module, curious if anyone else has encountered it.

Everything seems to work as expected however the EOC and OUT channels both seem to produce a +1v offset if that makes sense. i.e. when idling they are constantly outputting ~+1v.

If I offset the voltage using Maths all the functionality of the Burst holds up fine.

I figure I've messed something up in the DIY build but after having a reflow pass over everything and checking for shorts I haven't revealed any obvious issues.

Heliophile
Common Wiggler

Post by Heliophile » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:16 am

How does Burst respond to a swinging clock? The manual states that it tries to average the ping/tap input, so in theory it could work.
Heliophile - synthpop
http://heliophile.bandcamp.com/

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:07 pm

Yes Lisa, after hours of trying to figure out how to control the random burst of the WB I came to the conclusion that it isn't meant to be controlled other than randomly.

I still would like one of these for sure.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:16 am

Parnelli: I send it through some AND logic together with a clock pulse to get quantized random. That way I get some control over it.
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Ahh... cool idea, thanks lisa!

I've been using the Pulsar quite a bit and I really like it, but it's still not quite what I wanted, I wanted a Burst, so I've ordered one. the Pulsar is great for many things I hadn't intended using it for, but the one thing I wanted I don't seem to be able to get from it, a long string of random bursts on one channel; I'm pretty much limited to 16 counts that I can manipulate many different ways, but I haven't figured out how to get one long 64 pulse random burst like the Befaco does.

Mark II
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark II » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:42 pm

The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Two more Burst modules are born!

The red one is on eBay, the other one (with blue LEDs), is a keeper.

Built from PCB/Panel/Programmed chip sets from Thonk, rather than full kits.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:22 am

All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by KittenVillage » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:24 pm

toneburst wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:35 pm
Two more Burst modules are born!

The red one is on eBay, the other one (with blue LEDs), is a keeper.

Built from PCB/Panel/Programmed chip sets from Thonk, rather than full kits.
Thanks for your pics. I'm going to build a Burst soon (and some other Befaco) but didn't want to use their color scheme with the red. Gives me some ideas. I like what you've done with the switches.

And I can't figure out what white encoder knob they are using. It looks like a davies 1900 but that would be a t18 shaft on the encoder? Where do you find those? (But maybe I'll put something else on there...)

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

javes777
Common Wiggler

Re: Befaco Burst

Post by javes777 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi all,

I wonder if someone with the burst can confirm the following problem I have with a factory built unit..

If there are no CV inputs to the quantity or distribution etc, then the burst plays out fully at the settings of the knob positions, which is fine.

But - if I send random CV to distribution for example, this can cause the burst to jump (mid burst) to the new CV setting. I would have though the burst should sample the CV input only when the unit is triggered.

On further investigation, I have discovered that CV / knob changes are affecting the burst when unit is pinged or when it outputs a tempo trigger, not when the burst is triggered. In addition, the manual clearly states that "The amount of triggers can be changed in any moment but the changes will only be effective when a new burst start' - but this is not the case. They change on ping / tempo just like the other parameters.

The only time the unit waits until triggered before changing the parameters is when it is in cycle mode.

Has anyone got this issue?

I have e-mailed support, but they don't seem to want to respond.

Thanks very much!

navicore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by navicore » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:31 pm

I'm still looking for a pattern / reproducible case but I think I have a related issue.

New factory module with no CV inputs other than a trigger and a ping will run according to the manually set burst quantity fine for many minutes but eventually randomly stops totally or begins bursting 16 or more times as if CV were applied to quantity.

The pots for the parameters do nothing with and without CV while fiddling with them but worked perfectly with and without CV with visual feedback from the circle of LEDs twice when I left the module alone for a few hours and tried them again before removing the module from the rack to return it :)

Holding either button for 3 seconds causes the LEDs to spin once as a sign of reset but the same params stuck are still in play after.

I think some connections are unstable since it has worked according to the manual for a few minutes a couple of times but not continuously.

I have to return it but I'm open to any suggestions to try before I box it up.

Fidi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fidi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:37 pm

I had a problem where the encoder did not work precise (diy Module). Re-calibrating the module solved the problem.
From the assembly-guide:
„BURST NEED TO BE CALIBRATED BEFORE USE
-Set Distribution, Time Div/Mult and Probability pots, at middle position.
-Power the module while holding down quantity encoder button and manual trigger button . LED display will turn tree times... DONE ; )“

I would try this before returning.

navicore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by navicore » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Fidi wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:37 pm
I had a problem where the encoder did not work precise (diy Module). Re-calibrating the module solved the problem.
From the assembly-guide:
„BURST NEED TO BE CALIBRATED BEFORE USE
-Set Distribution, Time Div/Mult and Probability pots, at middle position.
-Power the module while holding down quantity encoder button and manual trigger button . LED display will turn tree times... DONE ; )“

I would try this before returning.
Thanks for the tip. The problem remains but I noticed the distribution is now centered (even) so "calibration" has done something.

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 pm

I'm still building mine, but a couple things tripped me up a bit. I am not in Europe, so I've had to source elsewhere. I was able to find that WP424HDT seem like a good replacement for the flat top red leds that Befaco uses.

But then I was tripped up by the right angle power header so I'm waiting on it from mouser. (61201021721) I had never seen that footprint before!

Everything on the build seems pretty straightforward otherwise.

KittenVillage
Common Wiggler

Post by KittenVillage » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:53 am

BEFACO!!!!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I get all the way to the end of the build... FINALLY and then I take the chip out and socket it, and unwrap the panel. Yes, I like to keep my panels pristine... besides it's got a well-spec'd BOM, right? Part number from TME and everything?

Well, though their BOM says it takes 3mm flat red LEDs, it actually takes 2mm leds!!!!

Oh course I have some, but I don't have nearly enough. Now I've got to make ANOTHER parts order for these damn LEDs. :omg:

WHAT THE FUCK BEFACO!!!!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

YOUR BOM SAYS 3mm AND YOU ARE SHIPPING PANELS WITH 2mm HOLES!!!!

Befacosynth
Common Wiggler

Post by Befacosynth » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:08 pm

KittenVillage wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:53 am

WHAT THE FUCK BEFACO!!!!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Chill dude, life's too short to freak out for such a little problem ;)

I have uploaded a new version, sorry for the hassle!!
www.befaco.org
support((at))befaco.org

Return to “Eurorack Modules”