sequencer for "purposively" composing melodies

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:27 am

Modcan Touch Sequencer goes for cheap these days. Fills most of the criteria too.

b9
Common Wiggler

Re: sequencer for "purposively" composing melodies

Post by b9 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 pm

So far I've used the rene, vg8, and o_C(two of them in tandem) I've gotten mind altering experiences out of all of them. so much so I decided to take the plunge into the er-101/2 combo. It has the ability to record the random magic of any and all of the others combined, and then be able to go back, then tweak, tweeze, and save the results with surgical precision and endless storage. this is why I love eurorack.
Last edited by b9 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:22 pm

i'm still over here trying to figure out what "purposively" means.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:10 am

ignatius wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:22 pm
You and I both - 4 pages later and I'm not sure how this is different from any other sequencer thread :p
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sir stony » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:36 am

I guess I'd have to chime in with those who go for non-eurorack sequencers when you wish to compose long, non-repetitive melodies, and get some midi-cv interface that offers enough channels for your need. I have a lot of step sequencers, but even while several of them allow for pattern chaining or long patterns like 128 steps, that may simply not be enough (length and/or resolution) to play out some compositions. Then it's my usual approach of DAW or MPC +Yarns. I'll likely then make a recording of that long part, cut it into a sample and put it into the 2hp Play or Disting to re-integrate it into a pure eurorack workflow...
WTB: Dovemans SHFT

keef321
Common Wiggler

Post by keef321 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:42 am

Another vote here for the Eloquencer.

It is easy to play in notes as it has a keyboard, each pattern is 16 steps, but you can easily link them together. I bought this as I needed a minimum of 16 steps, as I do a fair bit of Dnb which is normally at 175bpm so I need the 16 steps as a minimum for both beat programming (gate out) and melody.

The eloquencer has 8 gate out's and 8 CV's out, and every CV can be quantised. For me, another big plus, is that I can easily tie long gates, therefore allowing me to programme sustained bass-lines.

It really has a lot of visual feedback, so there is little menu diving, in my opinion. As a bonus it has amazing probability functions, on a per step, or per channel etc basis, to bring a bit of randomness (if you want) into any of your structured patterns.

I truly would have a look at it

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by keef321 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:57 am

ignatius wrote:
Not randomly?
b9 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 pm
It has the ability to record the random magic of any and all of the others combined, and then be able to go back, then tweak, tweeze, and save the results with surgical precision and endless storage. this is why I love eurorack.
Like any DAW then. ;)
My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:59 pm

lisa wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:57 am
ignatius wrote:
Not randomly?
b9 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 pm
It has the ability to record the random magic of any and all of the others combined, and then be able to go back, then tweak, tweeze, and save the results with surgical precision and endless storage. this is why I love eurorack.
Like any DAW then. ;)
If you can find a daw that records/sequences/edits cv, runs off of 12v, and mounts to eurorack rails sign me up.

muhimnested
Learning to Wiggle

Post by muhimnested » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:28 am

Don't forget the Frap Tools Usta, which in some ways is more versatile and almost as precise as the ER-101

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:35 am

muhimnested wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:28 am
Don't forget the Frap Tools Usta, which in some ways is more versatile and almost as precise as the ER-101
Interesting to hear! I’m awaiting delivery of my Usta and cannot wait to dive in.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:02 am

b9 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:59 pm
If you can find a daw that records/sequences/edits cv, runs off of 12v, and mounts to eurorack rails sign me up.
No problem regarding the CV stuff but the power supply and mounting requirements sounds rather arbitrarily tailored to rule out DAWs. You get to use whatever tools you want, of course. However, the reasoned parts of your list of functions suggests a DAW.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aaronautical001 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:15 am

versipellis wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:10 am
ignatius wrote:
You and I both - 4 pages later and I'm not sure how this is different from any other sequencer thread :p
TL;DR sequencer easy to program

If it helps, i tried to address this in my first post. Perhaps it wasnt helpful though, in which case i apologise for the lack of clarity.

"I'm very much a beginner in music, and have no formal training; the approach to composition I currently take is to use a piano app on the iPad and compose a melody from that, right it down and program it into a sequencer. So whilst the VB is great for "nudging", I've really struggled to be able to easily program specific notes (this is what I mean when I mention purposively composing)"

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:22 am

...a lot of fun to be had with many simple sequencers that modulate each other.

I prefer that over using a big do it all sequencer.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:49 am

Five12 Vector is just brilliant. Numerology in eurorack. My favorite sequencer in euro yet, and I've been through pretty much all of them. :lol:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:22 pm

personally when i want to program a specific sequence (which is extremely rare) i would find using a single knob like flxs1 and eloquencer frustratingly limiting.

stillson hammer can do all you want with dedicated range buttons, a Cv jack + knob w/ an offset if needed for applying the amount of CV level to the steps you allocated. plus it's quanitzed to scales and can do trigger sequencing too x4 tracks. i find moving a fader to find the right pitch while the melody is playing to be much more satisfying than selecting from a menu of notes for each step. moving the sliders is fast and easy.

but this is what makes selecting a sequencer one of the hardest module recommendations to make... it's very personal how you prefer to work, and only you can figure that out.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:41 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:22 pm
personally when i want to program a specific sequence (which is extremely rare) i would find using a single knob like flxs1 and eloquencer frustratingly limiting.

stillson hammer can do all you want with dedicated range buttons, a Cv jack + knob w/ an offset if needed for applying the amount of CV level to the steps you allocated. plus it's quanitzed to scales and can do trigger sequencing too x4 tracks. i find moving a fader to find the right pitch while the melody is playing to be much more satisfying than selecting from a menu of notes for each step. moving the sliders is fast and easy.

but this is what makes selecting a sequencer one of the hardest module recommendations to make... it's very personal how you prefer to work, and only you can figure that out.
I'm a visual feedback kind of guy and the SH inability to display the state of each track when you switch worries me (I have never used one). I do have a Metropolis and FLXS1. I agree with you to some degree on the single knob of the FLXS1, but he did a decent job in providing feedback in other ways. Still, it is not as "purposively" able as the Metropolis. It does not, for me, foster improvising on multiple sequences - it is more like you have to have a somewhat solid plan. I don't want screens, I don't want a little matrix, I want sliders and knobs. Though limited to one track, the Metrpolois gives me the feedback and control I really like. If only someone could make a multi track sequencer as playable as Metropolis, but unless it has motorized faders to automatically move between tracks, it's pretty much impossible (and $$$). I'm still learning, but more and more I am thinking a Z8000 for both pitch and modulation is a good fit for me. Multiple sequences that you can see in action all the time (I don't mind using a quantizer or two, or three maybe?). On topic to your post, I think you are 100% right. It is personal and while all the online research can help, experience with other sequencers is really helpful. Sadly nothing will never replace having on at home and experiencing it first hand. Unless someone creates interactive AR sequencer demos!

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Post by interpolate » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Nerdseq is my personal vote but I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

1010 Toolbox

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by ForAiur » Tue May 12, 2020 2:41 am

Footkerchief wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:52 pm
Yarns is a powerhouse.
I bought a uYarns but never touched it again after I got my Hermod. How us uYarns a powerhouse? I only used it as a midi to cv recorder ... are you talking about its record capability?

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Post by ForAiur » Tue May 12, 2020 2:44 am

Daisuk wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:49 am
Five12 Vector is just brilliant. Numerology in eurorack. My favorite sequencer in euro yet, and I've been through pretty much all of them. :lol:
Brilliant yes, ut super expensive and I‘m not sure if it can do a lot more than the 1/2 to 1/3 price Westlicht PerFormer ... can anyoje point out the main differences between the two composing-wise?

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Tue May 12, 2020 4:20 am

ForAiur wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:44 am

Brilliant yes, ut super expensive and I‘m not sure if it can do a lot more than the 1/2 to 1/3 price Westlicht PerFormer ... can anyoje point out the main differences between the two composing-wise?

A few things I notice right away:

As far as I can tell the Performer does not have control of step length, just the gate length. Sequencers that have independent control of step length are a revelation if you've not used one.

Vector has 2 sub sequencers per part. This is a big deal compositionally.

9 encoders instead of 1 makes a huge difference to the experience.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue May 12, 2020 8:08 pm

+1 on the Usta! It's the first sequencer I've actually enjoyed programming since my old Roland MC-50 (which I still love but the floppy drive is busted)

The screen has just the right amount of info on it without being too "screen-y" and the encoders are really easy to use. Plus entering notes with a CV keyboard makes programming long melodies or complex harmonies really quick.

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Post by ForAiur » Sat May 16, 2020 1:38 am

windchill wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:20 am
ForAiur wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:44 am

A few things I notice right away:

As far as I can tell the Performer does not have control of step length, just the gate length. Sequencers that have independent control of step length are a revelation if you've not used one.

Vector has 2 sub sequencers per part. This is a big deal compositionally.

9 encoders instead of 1 makes a huge difference to the experience.
Ah, the encoder is a big deal, had forgotten that about the Westlicht. My NerdSeq will arrive next week and I hope this wasn't a wrong decision, but the more I think about it the more I'm assured that the overview that the screen on the NerdSeq will give me is exactly what I wanted. The Hermod is cool for playing in midi, but shows nothing. And modules like the Usta are more hands on like my René. I hope that this won't make my Hermod something that will just collect dust ... we will see.

Lokua
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lokua » Sat May 16, 2020 2:39 am

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Sat May 16, 2020 2:51 am

ER-101/102 .. really forget the rest mentioned here

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:06 am

Hasn’t anyone given the “sequence the sequencer” speech yet? Metropolis through an adder, with an ER-101 driving key changes, with a quantizer like O_c at the end to control accidentals. With some work, you can get a shift register like Marbles to also work in key with an adder and quantizer. Then there are the AUX inputs on the Metro that you can also sequence.

There, I just gave away my whole “secret formula” to song sequencing in euro. Not trying to be self promotional, but that’s how I rigged this patch up.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”