Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Kent
Large Member

Re:

Post by Kent » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:35 pm

I’ll test it for you. I have an O&C in Euro and a large Buchla system.
I’ve also got a Northern Light Modular hOC kit on the way. It won’t require Buchla-centric updates as those are baked into the hardware. I could, however, mess about and see what happens.
Please PM me if I can assist.
chysn wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:47 pm
Ebotronix wrote:what happened with the 1.8 update?
Firmware
Ah, the 1.8 update. It was going to have the Buchla updates. Problem is, without an actual Buchla system to test with, I'm totally at sea with doing Buchla compatibility. So I'll probably review the outstanding issues for things I can do, and tie up some loose ends and release the 1.8 hex file soon.
you wrote that you want to remove the 100 scales from the OC 1.3.2
It's the other way around; I added back scales that had been removed from O_C 1.3.2.

Otherwise, 1.8 is a pretty minor update. It's mostly improvements to Buchla voltage handling (thanks to Mike Thomas), and bug fixes.

The most significant change is that there's now a global clock source, so that you can run sequencers and things without connecting an external clock. Previously, you could do this with Metronome, but the update basically involves replacing Metronome with a standalone clock.

The clock feature replaces the applet category filter, which I bet nobody even knew existed.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime

Post by chysn » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:27 pm

Kent wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:35 pm
I’ll test it for you. I have an O&C in Euro and a large Buchla system.
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Current Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/354385
Hemisphere Suite: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki

"Man must shape his tools lest they shape him." --Arthur Miller

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Has anyone compiled a firmware with (most of) hemisphere and quantermain?
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

Audiodaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Audiodaan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:05 am

I find the Tuner app to be very irregular - sometimes it works as advertised, and other times it just continues to get stuck and not update the pitch display at all. I always ensure I use a hot signal into digital input 4, and pressing the encoder to reset does not have any effect when it's stuck. It's really hit and miss, often more miss than hit... Could it be a hardware issue?

Thanks!

versipellis
Common Wiggler

Post by versipellis » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:30 am

Audiodaan wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:05 am
I find the Tuner app to be very irregular - sometimes it works as advertised, and other times it just continues to get stuck and not update the pitch display at all. I always ensure I use a hot signal into digital input 4, and pressing the encoder to reset does not have any effect when it's stuck. It's really hit and miss, often more miss than hit... Could it be a hardware issue?

Thanks!
I have the same issue.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, JU-06A, KMI K-Mix w/ MIDI expander, Erica Synths Bassline]: viewtopic.php?p=3142686

Sikkboy
Common Wiggler

Post by Sikkboy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:39 pm

Hey I am having issues with the shift gate program. When in trigger mode, the second trigger gate seems to get stuck on a certain mode after I change to another number other than default. Anyone else have this issue? I am clocking via the internal clock.

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:08 pm

SB-SIX wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:30 pm
I would love this too!

jube
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jube » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:13 pm

Does anyone else run into problems with the new internal clock in 1.80 firmware?
I was quite eager to try out the new internal clock system but it seems that i lose gate outputs of the clock divider driven by the clock system after a couple of minutes.

xcc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xcc » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm

I just got a new o_C, and after following the Hemisphere directions to the letter it just reboots back into the stock OS. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:21 pm

Audiodaan wrote:

Thanks!
I've found it likes some waveforms better than others. And it's not a super-fast tuner. It needs to do a lot of listening before it can decide on a frequency.
Sikkboy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:39 pm
Hey I am having issues with the shift gate program. When in trigger mode, the second trigger gate seems to get stuck on a certain mode after I change to another number other than default. Anyone else have this issue? I am clocking via the internal clock.
I'd like to get more information about this. What do you mean by "stuck on a certain mode?"
jube wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:13 pm
Does anyone else run into problems with the new internal clock in 1.80 firmware?
I was quite eager to try out the new internal clock system but it seems that i lose gate outputs of the clock divider driven by the clock system after a couple of minutes.
Does the little metronome icon continue to move back and forth when it seems like the clock divider has stopped responding? If so, it might be a bug in the clock divider.
xcc wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm
I just got a new o_C, and after following the Hemisphere directions to the letter it just reboots back into the stock OS. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Are you using the official hex file from the Releases page, or are you building it yourself with Arduino IDE? Do do you see the "Programming" progress bar on the hex loader? Does it say "Rebooting'" afterward?
Last edited by chysn on Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:02 pm

Duplicate :miley:

Sikkboy
Common Wiggler

Post by Sikkboy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:30 pm

chysn wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:21 pm
Audiodaan wrote:

Thanks!
I've found it likes some waveforms better than others. And it's not a super-fast tuner. It needs to do a lot of listening before it can decide on a frequency.
Sikkboy wrote:
I'd like to get more information about this. What do you mean by "stuck on a certain mode?"
jube wrote:
Does the little metronome icon continue to move back and forth when it seems like the clock divider has stopped responding? If so, it might be a bug in the clock divider.

xcc wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm
Are you using the official hex file from the Releases page, or are you building it yourself with Arduino IDE? Do do you see the "Programming" progress bar on the hex loader? Does it say "Rebooting'" afterward?
When in shift gate mode, I activate the internal clock or metronome via the left button push.I change the numbers on the applet when in trigger mode the gate signals get frozen on a certain rhythm and I can not unfreeze them by changing it back to previous number.Ultimately, I was attempting to alternate between several rhythms but it somehow defaults to a constant gate signal after a couple of changes to the number parameter.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Sikkboy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:30 pm
When in shift gate mode, I activate the internal clock or metronome via the left button push.I change the numbers on the applet when in trigger mode the gate signals get frozen on a certain rhythm and I can not unfreeze them by changing it back to previous number.Ultimately, I was attempting to alternate between several rhythms but it somehow defaults to a constant gate signal after a couple of changes to the number parameter.
Thanks! Sounds like a counter is getting overshot. I'll take a look.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:24 am

SB-SIX wrote:
I took the sequence memory from Quantermain and used it for something else, so it'd be a pain in the ass. The framework changes involved in Hemisphere Suite make it generally incompatible with Ornament and Crime apps. It's open-source software, of course, so anybody can feel free to dive in, but you're probably just better off using a different module.

jube
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jube » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:44 am

chysn wrote:
jube wrote:
Thanks for replying!
I just tried it again and had the ticking icon but no gates. Unplugged and plugged it back in and after a couple of minutes it stopped again, while the icon is ticking. I’m running Burst left and Clock Div right.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:51 pm

chysn wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:24 am
SB-SIX wrote:
I took the sequence memory from Quantermain and used it for something else, so it'd be a pain in the ass. The framework changes involved in Hemisphere Suite make it generally incompatible with Ornament and Crime apps. It's open-source software, of course, so anybody can feel free to dive in, but you're probably just better off using a different module.
Ok thanks for the reply!
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

xcc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xcc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:26 pm

chysn wrote:
I'm a moron. I was uploading the wrong hex file. Thanks for your reply.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:02 am

jube wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:44 am
I just tried it again and had the ticking icon but no gates. Unplugged and plugged it back in and after a couple of minutes it stopped again, while the icon is ticking. I’m running Burst left and Clock Div right.
Procedure:

(1) Power up system, Hemisphere is already selected on uOC module
(2) Set left hemisphere to Burst
(3) Set right hemisphere to Clock Div
(4) Clock Setup: Set source to internal, tempo 120, x1
(5) Patch right hemisphere Out C (Div 1 clock out) to Optomix strike input
(6) Set Div 1 to /3
(7) Start internal clock by long-holding left button
(8) Wait ten minutes. Clock Div continues to strike Optomix every three ticks, as expected

Please let me know if there's something wrong with my procedure. Otherwise, I cannot reproduce what you describe.
Last edited by chysn on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:08 am

Sikkboy wrote:
Sikkboy wrote:
What source are you using to flip the state of bit 0? (In other words, what's plugged into CV 1 or 2?)

A typical use case would be to feed it with an LFO (that hits +5V occasionally) or a trigger (like EOC from Maths) or even a drum signal from something like Tetrapad, played live. If the signal to CV is low, the last (leftmost) step in the pattern (based on length) feeds back to the first (rightmost) step. If the signal is high, that state flips when it's fed back. If your CV source never goes high, the first step is never flipped. If you bring the length to 1, the first step is the last step, so it's always fed back to itself and you'll wind up with a pattern that's all 0 or all 1. So make sure that your source is going high sometimes.
Last edited by chysn on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:09 am

Duplicate :miley:

Sikkboy
Common Wiggler

Post by Sikkboy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 pm

chysn wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:08 am
Sikkboy wrote:
Sikkboy wrote:
What source are you using to flip the state of bit 0? (In other words, what's plugged into CV 1 or 2?)

A typical use case would be to feed it with an LFO (that hits +5V occasionally) or a trigger (like EOC from Maths) or even a drum signal from something like Tetrapad, played live. If the signal to CV is low, the last (leftmost) step in the pattern (based on length) feeds back to the first (rightmost) step. If the signal is high, that state flips when it's fed back. If your CV source never goes high, the first step is never flipped. If you bring the length to 1, the first step is the last step, so it's always fed back to itself and you'll wind up with a pattern that's all 0 or all 1. So make sure that your source is going high sometimes.
I was just using the internal metronome to get different rhythms out of both outputs. I would alter the step pattern every once in a while. I will try that out. I was not using a cv source for the cv inputs.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Sikkboy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 pm
I was not using a cv source for the cv inputs.
Ah, gotcha. Take a look at the documentation for Shift Gate*. It's easily one of my favorite applets in Hemisphere Suite. Its transport mechanism is just like an original Turing Machine, in the sense that the "length" control doesn't set an actual length, but sets which step is carried back to the start of the register at the next clock. So with short lengths, and no bit flipping taking place, you're increasingly likely to just get all 1s or all 0s in the register. Plug an LFO into that thing and make it diversify!

* https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-Hemisphere ... /ShiftGate

jube
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jube » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:07 pm

chysn wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:02 am

Procedure:

(1) Power up system, Hemisphere is already selected on uOC module
(2) Set left hemisphere to Burst
(3) Set right hemisphere to Clock Div
(4) Clock Setup: Set source to internal, tempo 120, x1
(5) Patch right hemisphere Out C (Div 1 clock out) to Optomix strike input
(6) Set Div 1 to /3
(7) Start internal clock by long-holding left button
(8) Wait ten minutes. Clock Div continues to strike Optomix every three ticks, as expected

Please let me know if there's something wrong with my procedure. Otherwise, I cannot reproduce what you describe.
Seems about the same steps I went through. I’ll retry in a couple of days (I’m away from my synth the coming days). Thanks for your help.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”