Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Sync
Common Wiggler

Re: Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime

Post by Sync » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:55 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:33 pm
The Noise Engineering Clep Diaz sounds to be very much like what you're looking for. Add using the CV input as a reset and the ability to switch between unipolar and bipolar outputs and you're basically describing a dual (somewhat less playable) clep diaz applet, which would be baller.
Thanks for pointing that one out-- looks like it would work but having the O_C Hemisphere do it would really be ace, mainly since I already have one and sometimes I'm only using one of the two app slots, so even though Clep Diaz is skinny and inexpensive, it's not as skinny and inexpensive as using something already in my rack.

I could do the C coding on something like this but I don't know enough about the hardware and software environment to take it on as of yet-- option selection mechanisms, handling a clock input, etc. I'll poke around through some of the other apps, see what I can figure out, there's examples I can look at there...

Looking at the Clep Diaz, it suggests some other possible alternatives to a simple dual counter-- such a single counter that has separate up & down & reset inputs, and one output could be an invert of the other-- one counts up while the other counts down. Or another possibility would be for one output to be the counter output and the other to be the BOC output (Beginning Of Count it seems to mean). Clep Diaz also looks like it's 6 bits... Also interesting that the Clep Diaz has both unipolar and bipolar outputs at the same time-- for a Hemisphere app, no need to use two outputs as I would almost never need both at the same time, an option selection for setting range would be better.

The other thing, is since the 4MS STS is a dual sampler, there's two CVs I could be controlling that way, so having two separate counters either using a single app that does two, or running both sides of Hemisphere as the same single-counter app would fit really well for my application.

It also may be worth contemplating how the BOC causes such a counter to essentially operate as a clock divider-- where with two of them you could create two clocks going on that are operating at divisors which are prime with respect to each other-- a divide-by 7 and a divide-by 13 for example, or something like that. Could provide some interesting polyrythmic possibilities where with a Clep Diaz you'd need two of them. Other clock dividers can do that I suppose, as long as they do more than power-of-two divisors...
--

Sync

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:32 pm

I think you'd have to remove something to make room for this counter applet but I would for sure use it. My clep diaz isn't racked at the moment as it's one of those modules that is cool but not used all the time. If I could get equivalent functionality from something I'm pretty much guaranteed to always have racked, that would be grand.

By the way chysn, how are things going on the Hemisphere 2 front?

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:29 am

I love my Clep Diaz, and wish I could stuff more into my Palette, but I don't have space. Having that in Hemispheres would be KILLER.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

corbetta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbetta » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:53 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can the "A"SR applet be setup to output according to a custom scale? I assume so from the documentation (which mentions a "scale" parameter, but doesn't elaborate further). Ideally I'd like to use 1/2 of hemispheres to spit out random/generative just intonation sequences without dedicating the other channel to quantizing duties.

I have a module incoming but not on hand, hence the question!

seank
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seank » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:42 pm

for the adsr eg applet, is it possible to assign a cv in to trigger both eg’s? or assign the output of an eg to multiple outs?

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:45 pm

corbetta wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:53 pm
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can the "A"SR applet be setup to output according to a custom scale?
Yes, there are four custom (a.k.a. "User") scales, and they can be used wherever a scale parameter can be set.
seank wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:42 pm
for the adsr eg applet, is it possible to assign a cv in to trigger both eg’s? or assign the output of an eg to multiple outs?
Both of these things can be done with a passive mult or stackable cable.
Current Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/354385
Hemisphere Suite: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki

"Man must shape his tools lest they shape him." --Arthur Miller

seank
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seank » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:07 am

that’s exactly what i’m trying to avoid. in the o&c firmware you can assign the triggers. i guess it’s not possible in the current hemisphere firmware.

Mannstrane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mannstrane » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:30 pm

Question about Boots 'n Cats.

Is the attack on the kick pretty much inconsistent for the attack portion of the sound? I get a click most of the time. Kind of a waste to run it through an envelope and vca.

Also, is there a dedicated forum to Hemisphere firmware?

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:03 pm

Where in Hemisphere can I look for something along the lines of Wogglebug type LFOs?

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:46 pm

I think LowerRenz is a chaos oscillator, that might do what you need. I haven't tried it myself, I always just use Sloths for that.

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:39 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:46 pm
I think LowerRenz is a chaos oscillator, that might do what you need. I haven't tried it myself, I always just use Sloths for that.
I’ll check that out, thanks. What is Sloths?

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:43 pm

xcc wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:39 pm
SavageMessiah wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:46 pm
I’ll check that out, thanks. What is Sloths?
This: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/nonlinear ... -sloths-v2 - 11 outputs of slow, unpredictable modulation

witchbutter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by witchbutter » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:45 pm

versipellis wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:20 am
Has anyone else had issues running hemisphere on 1uO_c4robots by plum audio? I'm getting constant voltage out at every output. I'm wondering if it needs a custom VOR firmware to work.
It does, he provides one that is calibrated for VOR on the plum audio site, or if you use your own you have to go through a full calibration
https://www.plum-audio.com/firmwares

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:58 pm

I have recently installed the Hemisphere firmware on my O_C which is really astounding. Have been experimenting a bit with the carpeggio cartesian app but can’t seem to find a way to set individual notes on the matrix. I know it’s probably a fairly basic question but couldn’t find any videos or a detailed manual showing how this is done.

Would be really great if someone could help! Thanks

Mannstrane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mannstrane » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:36 pm

otnemem wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:58 pm
I have recently installed the Hemisphere firmware on my O_C which is really astounding. Have been experimenting a bit with the carpeggio cartesian app but can’t seem to find a way to set individual notes on the matrix. I know it’s probably a fairly basic question but couldn’t find any videos or a detailed manual showing how this is done.

I think you have to stop the sequence/gate input and adjust each note without it advancing forward. I haven't tried but that's just a guess.

VZvision
Wiggling with Experience

Post by VZvision » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Just updated firmware...can anyone tell me where in the list of applets I can find Neural Net? Was the main intrigue for me to switch FW but I don’t see it in the alphabetical list...on version 1.8

VZvision
Wiggling with Experience

Post by VZvision » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:03 pm

VZvision wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:51 pm
Just updated firmware...can anyone tell me where in the list of applets I can find Neural Net? Was the main intrigue for me to switch FW but I don’t see it in the alphabetical list...on version 1.8
NVM...found it in the full applet list

pisrecords
Common Wiggler

Post by pisrecords » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:15 pm

solved .
Last edited by pisrecords on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ADMIN in latin eurorack group . https://www.facebook.com/groups/906628619403191/

sorry 4 my poor English words.

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm

otnemem wrote:

Sorry for the delay here, it's been a heckuva month. :|

Press the button to advance the cursor to the note name (the lower right portion of the panel). Now you can use the encoder to change the note on the matrix. You have to select which position you're editing externally (either by using X/Y CV, or by advancing to the next position with a clock into Digital 1). Whichever position is selected, that's the one you'll be editing.

You can certainly change the notes in real time while Carpeggio is playing. That's 3/4 of the fun!

Additional details are here: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-Hemisphere ... rpeggiator

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:35 am

chysn wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm
otnemem wrote:

Sorry for the delay here, it's been a heckuva month. :|

Press the button to advance the cursor to the note name (the lower right portion of the panel). Now you can use the encoder to change the note on the matrix. You have to select which position you're editing externally (either by using X/Y CV, or by advancing to the next position with a clock into Digital 1). Whichever position is selected, that's the one you'll be editing.

You can certainly change the notes in real time while Carpeggio is playing. That's 3/4 of the fun!

Additional details are here: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-Hemisphere ... rpeggiator
Thanks for getting back! I think my question really was about how to change X/Y and set the note for a selected coordinate- but you have answered me there. Cheers

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:52 am

otnemem wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:35 am
Thanks for getting back! I think my question really was about how to change X/Y and set the note for a selected coordinate- but you have answered me there. Cheers
Great, I hope you enjoy Carpeggio. It's one of my favorites, a fun way to make music. I'm thinking about building a 20HP standalone module based on it. It needs a great big interface.

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Pretty sure it would be a hit!

Incidentally I just love hemisphere - thanks for making it happen

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:05 am

Hi. I've seen people using teensy boards to convert MIDI to I2C in dorder to control the ER-301. I think I've seen Hemisphere handles MIDI with the USB connector. Would it be possible to emplement MIDI to I2C conversion in Hemisphere? And mod the the O_C so it can do this using added pins in the rear? Would be great to be able to control the ER-301 with MIDI using no cable in the front

pld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pld » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:03 am

henrry wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:05 am
Hi. I've seen people using teensy boards to convert MIDI to I2C in dorder to control the ER-301. I think I've seen Hemisphere handles MIDI with the USB connector. Would it be possible to emplement MIDI to I2C conversion in Hemisphere? And mod the the O_C so it can do this using added pins in the rear? Would be great to be able to control the ER-301 with MIDI using no cable in the front
In theory, sure, there's an SCL/SDA on the bottom of the Teensy. In practice, maybe? Might depend whether o_C would be the master or slave in that scenario, the timing/interrupt handling could be tricky (I'm still surprised MIDI works reliably ;)) if you want to keep the original functionality running.

SarahB
Common Wiggler

Post by SarahB » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:34 am

Hi, I’m wondering if Hemisphere has a simple cv sequencer? I’m looking for something to sequence states and snake patterns on my René. Thanks !

Return to “Eurorack Modules”