Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

qbassa@gmail.com
Learning to Wiggle

waiting for 1.8

Post by qbassa@gmail.com » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:48 pm

knock, knock is anybody out there? Any chance for 1.8 and CV-controllable VectorEG?

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Re: waiting for 1.8

Post by chysn » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 pm

qbassa@gmail.com wrote:knock, knock is anybody out there? Any chance for 1.8 and CV-controllable VectorEG?
All I can say right now is that it's on the docket. It'll definitely be in Hemisphere 2, which will run on Teensy > 3.2.

Due to the module's memory constraints, I don't have much latitude right now to do new things, even really simple new things. Only a few hundred bytes stand between "compiles okay" and "too damn big."
Current Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/354385
Hemisphere Suite: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki

"Man must shape his tools lest they shape him." --Arthur Miller

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:28 pm

OK chysn .... Let's cut to the chase here.....

You have done a superb job of writing code that has taken the O&C to new levels! You have essentially maxed out the Teensy 3.2's capabilities with your Hemispheres firmware.....

What; Dear Sir, are your plans for the future?

Teensy 3.6 opens new horizons but will require a hardware re-look at the least; I'm sure.

Of course there are hardware options beyond the Teensy's but few have the personal level support and audio related background that Paul has put into his little devices...

So.... What's the plan? When will it happen? Where do I send the check?

OH.... Can I BETA test please?

:hail:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

shurikenyo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shurikenyo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:24 pm

[/quote]

I think it's a good idea, yes.

But try using the sysex. The message is really short, and it's a fast transition from one setup to the next.[/quote]

I have tried most of the apps in the Hemisphere now...WOWOWOWO, fantastic work! Such a swiss army knife module. Thanks a lot for all the work you put in!!
Not sure, but it seems like the CV in voltage is a bit sensitive on some apps...is it like +-2.5V?

Oh, i have to try the Sysex control...but im a little scared of the compressed Sysex...ooooooh shit. So should i put the hexadecimal calculator in the trash and use something else to decipher the compressed Sysex?

Also i did not build my uO_c myself and im a little worried about hooking up both the USB and the euro power at the same time...when i did the update i used only the USB cable and it powered up and it worked for the firmware update, applets would run even! (i wonder if this could work with power only from the 5V USB? If so it would be super nice USB midi to CV interface, i think i tried running it from only the 5V USB power but i think the CV out was not strong enough, maybe it needs the full 12V to be able to push the CV out fully)...will it blow up if i use both the 5V USB and modular 12V power at the same time? (Want to test USB for the midi features)

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:13 am

Is there an app in the suite that can transpose (octaves and semitones)?
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:42 pm

There's a precision adder in the calculate app and a precision voltage source locked to semitone increments in the voltage app. Between the two you can transpose. I asked earlier about using the unused cv input on the voltage app to let it add without needing an external adder but I guess with the rom almost full, it will have to wait for hemispheres 2.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:31 pm

chysn: Have been on vacation and away from my modular. I read in another thread that gate delay modules/functions can be used to hold a gate. This blew my mind. Can the Gate Delay app in Hemispheres extend gate times?

Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:53 pm

Phitar wrote:OK chysn .... Let's cut to the chase here.....

You have done a superb job of writing code that has taken the O&C to new levels! You have essentially maxed out the Teensy 3.2's capabilities with your Hemispheres firmware.....

What; Dear Sir, are your plans for the future?

So.... What's the plan? When will it happen? Where do I send the check?

OH.... Can I BETA test please?

:hail:
hven't sent money but I built him a uO_C (he sent me the parts), as a thanks... and apparently it still works, so that's a win! :hihi:

seriously, he's the reason i built a second uO_C... I'll def throw money at chysn's next project.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:06 am

SavageMessiah wrote:There's a precision adder in the calculate app and a precision voltage source locked to semitone increments in the voltage app. Between the two you can transpose. I asked earlier about using the unused cv input on the voltage app to let it add without needing an external adder but I guess with the rom almost full, it will have to wait for hemispheres 2.
Thanks for the info!

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:16 pm

This is interesting!
Wonder if it would help develop hemisphere further?

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy40.html

Timmy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Timmy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:20 am

adh82 wrote:This is interesting!

See discussion at viewtopic.php?p=3101829#3101829

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:38 am

Thanks for pointing me to the other discussion. From the sounds of it there is a lot of IFs for it to be a straight upgrade. My main thoughts on this upgrade is getting the original O&C firmware added to hemisphere. I love hemisphere but i miss many original apps and really miss the visual representations of the apps. Actually wish hemisphere had visuals like O&C as they are just so damn good!!!! Anyway fingers crossed this could happen one day.

Timmy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Timmy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:55 am

adh82 wrote:Thanks for pointing me to the other discussion. From the sounds of it there is a lot of IFs for it to be a straight upgrade. My main thoughts on this upgrade is getting the original O&C firmware added to hemisphere. I love hemisphere but i miss many original apps and really miss the visual representations of the apps. Actually wish hemisphere had visuals like O&C as they are just so damn good!!!! Anyway fingers crossed this could happen one day.
Well, I'd describe it as adding the Hemisphere code to the original firmware, rather than vice versa, but that's just my personal bias... but yes, should be possible, IF the T4 can be made to work with the O&C module hardware. We'll know more in a month or so, by which time we will have gotten our hands on some production T4 boards. The O&C framework infrastructure, on which Hemisphere is built, just as the "official" O&C code is, is very highly optimised for the Teensy 3.1/3.2 running at 120MHz using code compiled with specific versions of the gcc compiler. The framework really pushes the hardware to its limits, especially the OLED display, and the interleaving of data being sent to the display and the DAC on the single shared SPI bus, and thus it is quite sensitive to small timing and communication rate differences. That's why it is far from certain that the T4 can be made to work in practice, even though it should be straightforward in theory...

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 pm

Phitar wrote:OK chysn .... Let's cut to the chase here.....

You have done a superb job of writing code that has taken the O&C to new levels! You have essentially maxed out the Teensy 3.2's capabilities with your Hemispheres firmware....
Thank you for your kind words. You may absolutely beta test the next thing. Keep watching this spot.
Misk wrote:hven't sent money but I built him a uO_C (he sent me the parts), as a thanks... and apparently it still works, so that's a win! :hihi:
Of course it still works! It's great!
SB-SIX wrote:Is there an app in the suite that can transpose (octaves and semitones)?
Check out Squanch (https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-Hemisphere ... -Quantizer)

It's pitch shifting rather than diatonic transposition, but most of the time "pitch shifting" is what people really want.
rayultine wrote:I read in another thread that gate delay modules/functions can be used to hold a gate. This blew my mind. Can the Gate Delay app in Hemispheres extend gate times?
I don't think so, but I'd probably need to read the other thread to understand the context fully. Do you have the link?

I'd love to do a Teensy 4.0 project some day, but it would probably be something else completely.
adh82 wrote:Thanks for pointing me to the other discussion. From the sounds of it there is a lot of IFs for it to be a straight upgrade. My main thoughts on this upgrade is getting the original O&C firmware added to hemisphere.
I'm sort of greedy. If I have a megabyte available on the chip, I'm going to use a megabyte for my own stuff. I wouldn't waste it on applications that are already available in another module. I don't mean to say that O_C apps are a "waste," but including them would reduce the number of things that I can do in my own firmware, if that makes sense. My first computer had 3K; one thing you'll absolutely never hear me say is, "I'll never use all that space!"

Timmy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Timmy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:00 pm

chysn wrote:

I'd love to do a Teensy 4.0 project some day, but it would probably be something else completely.
adh82 wrote:Thanks for pointing me to the other discussion. From the sounds of it there is a lot of IFs for it to be a straight upgrade. My main thoughts on this upgrade is getting the original O&C firmware added to hemisphere.
I'm sort of greedy. If I have a megabyte available on the chip, I'm going to use a megabyte for my own stuff. I wouldn't waste it on applications that are already available in another module. I don't mean to say that O_C apps are a "waste," but including them would reduce the number of things that I can do in my own firmware, if that makes sense.
Yeah, great. When the author of the main alternative firmware package for the O&C platform indicates that he is unprepared to contribute any effort to a firmware re-unification project which a T4 port of the O&C framework might allow, it makes me wonder why we would bother at all. Such a port is a lot of work -- here is a list of just some of the changes to the code base which mxmxmx had to make just to get the beta T4 board to boot with the O&C: https://github.com/mxmxmx/O_C/commit/f1 ... 861139efb9 And that's mostly just disabling a lot of things so it will boot, and thus represents the tip of the iceberg. Then the hard work begins in getting all the things that have been disabled to work again on the T4.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:29 am

SB-SIX wrote:Is there an app in the suite that can transpose (octaves and semitones)?
Looks really cool, but indeed I was looking for pre-quantize shifting. I use the octave and semitone shift on the original O_C quantizer alot but also would like to try the apps in the suite. Maybe I'll just have to add another O_C with the suite :)

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:49 am

Timmy wrote:When the author of the main alternative firmware package for the O&C platform indicates that he is unprepared to contribute any effort to a firmware re-unification project which a T4 port of the O&C framework might allow, it makes me wonder why we would bother at all.
With all due respect, that seems like a non-sequitur. I hope that your first thought upon seeing the T4's spec wasn't, "Yay, we can fit Hemisphere now!" No, you're doing it for the FPU. You surely have sketches for other apps, maybe audio processing stuff with your famous math-nerd twist that nobody's even thought of before. You saw the specs and you had ideas. You don't want to waste your new space by jamming in something that's already available somewhere else.

Embrace the fragmentation. This whole industry is built on Buy Moar Modulz.

p@@@nts
Common Wiggler

Post by p@@@nts » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:47 am

SB-SIX wrote:
Looks really cool, but indeed I was looking for pre-quantize shifting. I use the octave and semitone shift on the original O_C quantizer alot but also would like to try the apps in the suite. Maybe I'll just have to add another O_C with the suite :)
You could just run the output of Squanch into a quantizer on the other half of Hemisphere to get the diatonic/prequantize transposing, right? Now I have to try this...

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:08 pm

chysn wrote:
rayultine wrote:I read in another thread that gate delay modules/functions can be used to hold a gate. This blew my mind. Can the Gate Delay app in Hemispheres extend gate times?
I don't think so, but I'd probably need to read the other thread to understand the context fully. Do you have the link?
ugh no. I went back three weeks in the forum and couldn't remember where I caught that. I'm using ridiculous language - "extend gate times" Am I simply describing a simple trigger-to-gate function? and if you push a short gate into a trigger-to-gate module, doesn't the short gate simply become a longer gate?

Timmy: I didn't interpret chysn's previous statements as a cop-out. If new technology straightforwardly allows for expansion of the o_C's capabilities before an o_C-2 is formally released, I would vastly prefer you, pld, and mxmxmxmx spending your time on new apps for the original FW than worrying about how to converge Hemispheres. I'm imagining you guys with weird module ideas that come flooding out like the bloody elevator scene at the end of The Shining. THAT'S A THING I WANT

and seriously, if o_C is your thing and you don't have at least two running each of the firmwares, you're missing out :rock: .

Timmy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Timmy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:03 pm

rayultine wrote: Timmy: I didn't interpret chysn's previous statements as a cop-out. If new technology straightforwardly allows for expansion of the o_C's capabilities before an o_C-2 is formally released, I would vastly prefer you, pld, and mxmxmxmx spending your time on new apps for the original FW than worrying about how to converge Hemispheres. I'm imagining you guys with weird module ideas that come flooding out like the bloody elevator scene at the end of The Shining. THAT'S A THING I WANT
Sure, it’s just that we have precious little spare time to do anything, and certainly not enough to develop a whole bunch of new apps for O&Cmk1+T4 and also work on successor(s) to O&C, and we’d all rather do the latter. It was just a bit disappointing to see the main developer of alternative firmware for the O&C platform dismiss the suggestion of co-operation that the extra resources provided by a T4 upgrade would permit.

It’s probably all moot anyway. As has been discussed in other threads, there are a lot of potential showstoppers and real-world complications to such an upgrade (like the need for recalibration), plus such an upgrade is probably not possible for all the micro O&C variants of O&C due to their use of the pads on the underside of the T3.2 (which are quite different on the T4) or in the case of a recent variant, the reliance on the internal DAC in the T3.2 to set output ranges (the T4 doesn’t have an internal DAC). Thus such an upgrade, if it were feasible, is likely to bring grief and a slew of complaints from owners of micro and other variants of the O&C platform, and a big support burden on the developers of such an upgrade, especially with respect to recalibration by O&C owners who bought their module from someone else and who don.’t have access to a suitable multimeter.

So, although the idea of a retrofit hardware upgrade to the O&C mk1 is conceptually appealing, after some reflection I now think that it just isn’t worth the investment of time and effort required. I suspect mxmxmx and pld would agree. Of course others are free to have a go at getting such an upgrade to work.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Timmy wrote:
rayultine wrote: Timmy: I didn't interpret chysn's previous statements as a cop-out. If new technology straightforwardly allows for expansion of the o_C's capabilities before an o_C-2 is formally released, I would vastly prefer you, pld, and mxmxmxmx spending your time on new apps for the original FW than worrying about how to converge Hemispheres. I'm imagining you guys with weird module ideas that come flooding out like the bloody elevator scene at the end of The Shining. THAT'S A THING I WANT
Sure, it’s just that we have precious little spare time to do anything, and certainly not enough to develop a whole bunch of new apps for O&Cmk1+T4 and also work on successor(s) to O&C, and we’d all rather do the latter. It was just a bit disappointing to see the main developer of alternative firmware for the O&C platform dismiss the suggestion of co-operation that the extra resources provided by a T4 upgrade would permit.

It’s probably all moot anyway. As has been discussed in other threads, there are a lot of potential showstoppers and real-world complications to such an upgrade (like the need for recalibration), plus such an upgrade is probably not possible for all the micro O&C variants of O&C due to their use of the pads on the underside of the T3.2 (which are quite different on the T4) or in the case of a recent variant, the reliance on the internal DAC in the T3.2 to set output ranges (the T4 doesn’t have an internal DAC). Thus such an upgrade, if it were feasible, is likely to bring grief and a slew of complaints from owners of micro and other variants of the O&C platform, and a big support burden on the developers of such an upgrade, especially with respect to recalibration by O&C owners who bought their module from someone else and who don.’t have access to a suitable multimeter.

So, although the idea of a retrofit hardware upgrade to the O&C mk1 is conceptually appealing, after some reflection I now think that it just isn’t worth the investment of time and effort required. I suspect mxmxmx and pld would agree. Of course others are free to have a go at getting such an upgrade to work.
It baffles me why you bother with this stuff.
It’s open source, you didn’t write the software in the first place and you say “we” a lot - like you speak for the other devs???
It’s ALL good
look up!

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:53 pm

It was just a bit disappointing to see the main developer of alternative firmware for the O&C platform dismiss the suggestion of co-operation that the extra resources provided by a T4 upgrade would permit.
I do not understand the tension. There's no product yet to cooperate on. There's considerable question about whether it's even possible. If there is going to be a product, it's the better part of a year away. Nobody has made any specific requests of me regarding a hypothetical project, or concerning the scope of cooperation.

If somebody were to make such a request of me, I'd ask what purpose such a thing would serve. Maybe a good case can be made; I'm usually pretty good at seeing both sides of an issue, but my imagination fails me here.

The original OC FAQ even says "O&C is a cheap module... just have two, or three, and run different apps on each!" I see the wisdom of that.

I hope that I've been a good steward of the ecosystem you've developed. I hope that a side effect of that has been to contribute to the popularity and longevity of the module, perhaps even to sales. I'm not trying to shun anyone here. But I see only downside to "unifying" firmware. If there are other scopes of cooperation, I'm at your service.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 pm

It is all good. Next-gen o_c, I'm gonna throw my money at you.

Timmy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Timmy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Dogma wrote: It baffles me why you bother with this stuff.
It’s open source, you didn’t write the software in the first place and you say “we” a lot - like you speak for the other devs???
It’s ALL good
Err, I did actually write a reasonable proportion of the O&C code, and a lot of the documentation and web site, and did a great deal of testing. And while I do not pretend to speak for mxmxmx and pld, I am in regular touch with them and are somewhat aware of their thinking on such matters. I have several email threads which are over a hundred messages long with mxmxmx from Feb and March this year regarding the Teensy 4 and prospects for and issues with an O&C retrofit. But it’s not about ownership or being proprietorial, it’s about working out whether the effort and subsequent support burden involved in a T4 upgrade is worth the potential reward, and I’ve now convinced myself that the answer is no.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:48 pm

and lol at Dogma criticizing someone else's decisions about firmware

Return to “Eurorack Modules”