Percussa SSP: wavetable, granular, sampling, fx processor...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Audiodog
Common Wiggler

Re: Percussa SSP: wavetable, granular, sampling, fx processor...

Post by Audiodog » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:25 am

I backed mSSP last time - would re-back if this comes to fruition

pfawcett
1-Post Wiggler

Post by pfawcett » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:39 am

I also backed the first attempt at a mSSP and I'd do it again. Please give it another try. Thanks.

gran_syth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gran_syth » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:53 pm

From what I've been able to see (including a demo at Superbooth) I was very impressed by the sound and the quality of the included processes.

I looks to me that one can only perform with the SSP if every eventuality has been considered during the patch creation process. I've started to enter the world of eurorack to escape the one at the time parameter controls one so often faces when working with the laptop, to gain the flexibility of immediate controls for the sounds I am working with and to avoid the army of additional MIDI keyboards and controllers.

Looking through the demo videos, especially those suggesting techniques for live performance, and from what I was shown at Superbooth, the controls are unfortunately quite cumbersome and slow. In order to get 'hands on' control, additional MIDI controllers are needed or it is necessary to have to dedicate the available CVs for more responsive control sources. That can surely work for compositional work, but I cannot quite see that the SSP lends itself for some more spontaneous performance.

Am I getting this wrong? What are you using your SSP for?

tiger001
Common Wiggler

Post by tiger001 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:36 am

i think you are basically correct ; it is not a performance instrument but it can be controled by one very thoroughly

bschiett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bschiett » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:17 pm

gran_syth wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:53 pm
Looking through the demo videos, especially those suggesting techniques for live performance, and from what I was shown at Superbooth, the controls are unfortunately quite cumbersome and slow. In order to get 'hands on' control, additional MIDI controllers are needed or it is necessary to have to dedicate the available CVs for more responsive control sources. That can surely work for compositional work, but I cannot quite see that the SSP lends itself for some more spontaneous performance. Am I getting this wrong? What are you using your SSP for?
You don't need to use MIDI controllers if you don't want to. You can send audio/CVs/gates/triggers into the SSP via the 16 inputs. So the SSP is no different from any other eurorack module from that perspective. If you don't want to build patches yourself, then just use the preset collection as a starting point for what you want.

The SSP has macro controls at the global level as well, so if you don't want to go to a module in the grid to change its parameters, then use the macro features. You can stay at the macro page while you are playing your gig.

Planning your live performance is something you need to do with your eurorack system, regardless of the SSP. I would say the SSP in a life performance scenario saves you a lot of time and effort since it allows you to have a much smaller rack, have the flexibility to build whatever you want without requiring you to spend more money, insert modules on the fly you forgot to bring to your gig, lets you store and recall presets, record your live performance to disk while you are at it, etc etc.
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

gran_syth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gran_syth » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:39 pm

bschiett wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:17 pm
Planning your live performance is something you need to do with your eurorack system, regardless of the SSP. I would say the SSP in a life performance scenario saves you a lot of time and effort since it allows you to have a much smaller rack, have the flexibility to build whatever you want without requiring you to spend more money, insert modules on the fly you forgot to bring to your gig, lets you store and recall presets, record your live performance to disk while you are at it, etc etc.
That was exactly the approach when working with Max/MSP or PD. Macros need to be pre-implemented, yes 16 CV ins are great for controls, but again, 16 entry points for controls of any more complex patch that involves a network of modules (SSP internal) does not seem to be enough at all, they also need to be predefined. Therefore 8 are not nearly enough when it comes to the mSSP, as two would need to be for audio ins. I guess I just appreciate at this point in modular that you have a pot and CV to control any parameter at any time, instantly. This might change again at some point in the future.

bschiett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bschiett » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:34 pm

gran_syth wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:39 pm
That was exactly the approach when working with Max/MSP or PD. Macros need to be pre-implemented, yes 16 CV ins are great for controls, but again, 16 entry points for controls of any more complex patch that involves a network of modules (SSP internal) does not seem to be enough at all, they also need to be predefined. Therefore 8 are not nearly enough when it comes to the mSSP, as two would need to be for audio ins. I guess I just appreciate at this point in modular that you have a pot and CV to control any parameter at any time, instantly. This might change again at some point in the future.
Nobody requires you to build and run big patches inside the SSP or mSSP. You can choose to simply use it as a polyphonic wavetable oscillator, granular processor or fx processor, ... if you want to keep it simple. So instead of running many different modules you can decide to just run one, and run it at a higher sample rate, or stack it several times. This is made possible by the processing power of the SSP (and mSSP) which is far ahead of anything else in eurorack. In this scenario, the SSP acts similarly to a "normal" eurorack module which typically only does one thing.
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:33 am

Just giving this a little bump. I would really like to see the mSSP be given another shot with crowd funding.

With the mSSP I would switch from using the inputs for CV/Gate/Triggers and audio to just primarily audio. Thanks to the USB midi capabilities getting 12 voices and more (I've used a 24 voice patch on the SSP before) would be possible as you could control everything via Midi. Plus since the engine in the mSSP is the same as the SSP, the ability to sample will be just as useful with it as on the big brother. I would be able to shrink my system even further, and not loose a single capability.

Super compelling to me. I also really like the look of the proposed mSSP faceplate.

Fingers crossed! :sb:

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:43 am

yurp. if she goes to KS, i am IN.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:22 am

2disbetter wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:33 am
Just giving this a little bump. I would really like to see the mSSP be given another shot with crowd funding.

With the mSSP I would switch from using the inputs for CV/Gate/Triggers and audio to just primarily audio. Thanks to the USB midi capabilities getting 12 voices and more (I've used a 24 voice patch on the SSP before) would be possible as you could control everything via Midi. Plus since the engine in the mSSP is the same as the SSP, the ability to sample will be just as useful with it as on the big brother. I would be able to shrink my system even further, and not loose a single capability.

Super compelling to me. I also really like the look of the proposed mSSP faceplate.

Fingers crossed! :sb:
Agreed. I'm 100% in for the mSSP, but I'm unclear what the developer expects before he has another stab at crowd funding. Surely he's not waiting for 200+ bumps?

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:45 am

Basically there would need to be a lot of orders to make this endeavor profitable for them. The amount of software development for the module will easily overshadow the amount of development needed on the hardware. This module represents a significant time investment.

In a world where bills and the need to eat didn't exist, I'm sure they'd happily make it happen. Sadly, it looks like significant interest will be required. Honestly, I don't know how many bumps that means.

Bots
Common Wiggler

Post by Bots » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:51 am

Yes, i'm in again!

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:44 pm

So what are the current numbers?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:14 pm

Bumps are free. Here’s one. Would I actually offer money for this if he does another KS? Nobody knows. Hopefully the decision whether or not to try again isn’t just based on a certain number of bumps to this thread, that would be silly.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:48 pm

Well I think they are using the ‘bumps’ as a determining factor whether it’ll create another KS campaign.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:51 pm

But we (people on this forum) are just a small slice of potential customers. :despair:

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 pm

Zymos wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:51 pm
But we (people on this forum) are just a small slice of potential customers. :despair:
Very true.

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:59 pm

:bump:
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 am

cackland wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 pm
Zymos wrote:
Very true.
I think it’s back to the developer to drum up some interest. It’s been a lacklustre effort so far.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:14 am

davide3737 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 am
cackland wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 pm
Zymos wrote:
Very true.
I think it’s back to the developer to drum up some interest. It’s been a lacklustre effort so far.
Definitely doesn't seem like much enthusiasm does it.

bschiett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bschiett » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:24 pm

i'll be at analogue haven in santa monica this coming tuesday showing the SSP to those interested.
bannerah.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bschiett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bschiett » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:38 pm

thanks everyone for showing up! :-)

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:13 pm

bschiett, do we have an idea of numbers for those who have bumped to show interest?

bschiett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bschiett » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:38 pm

cackland wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:13 pm
bschiett, do we have an idea of numbers for those who have bumped to show interest?
Haven't counted the bumps as I was busy with this software update -
https://forum.percussa.com/t/update-200 ... ements/848
I'll go through the thread ASAP.

atl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by atl » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Count me in as a bump as well. I backed the mSSP the first go-around, and you can count on me to strongly back it the next time.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”