Percussa SSP: wavetable, granular, sampling, fx processor...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

isol
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Percussa SSP: wavetable, granular, sampling, fx processor...

Post by isol » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:48 am

So how’s the interest in relaunching the Kickstarter going?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 am

Doesn’t seem promising at all.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by synonymist » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:50 pm

defalut wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:13 am
Sold most of my rack since i realised that the Percussa SSP probably could handle most of what i used my modular gear to do; wavetable synthesis, and i also wanted the gear to be flexible and dynamic = SSP.
Mine is in the mail right now and will probably show up tomorrow, so - it´s going to be a happy day!

From having 412 HP i´m planning to use only the SSP for hardware modular duties (maybe a filter module aswell) but the rest of modular duties will be handled by Reaktor and Silent Way.

I´m mostly an OTB guy, but SSP seems like a perfect compromise.
I´ll be following this thread very carefully to pick up on tips and tricks from the more experienced wigglers here. Cheers! :guinness:
defalut, Now it is several months later, how did this work out for you? By switching to Percussa SSP, did you achieve what you envisioned?

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:52 pm

I have one for sale on Reverb right now actually :guinness:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:41 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:52 pm
I have one for sale on Reverb right now actually :guinness:
Reason for selling? Global crisis or just not feeling it?

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:11 am

A little bit of both actually but started to sell off half my Eurotack gear even before this whole Covid business started.
It’s an incredible module and capable of so much but I’m looking for my modular to have more immediacy in that when I do find time in life to use it I’m not fussing around with screens and menus and routings and etc...
Don’t get me wrong you can make great stand alone patches and once their made they’re made and you can recall them at will immediately which is like recalling your favorite patches on a synthesizer which is awesome.
However, I don’t have much time outside of work to use all the gear that I currently own anyway and when I do get free time I don’t want to spend it making anymore presets.
Definitely a module for people that really want to dive deep, dream up their own module presets and then construct them, it’s really akin to the O|D ER-301 which may also be leaving here soon.
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

defalut
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by defalut » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:45 am

synonymist wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:50 pm
defalut wrote:
Sold most of my rack since i realised that the Percussa SSP probably could handle most of what i used my modular gear to do; wavetable synthesis, and i also wanted the gear to be flexible and dynamic = SSP.
Mine is in the mail right now and will probably show up tomorrow, so - it´s going to be a happy day!

From having 412 HP i´m planning to use only the SSP for hardware modular duties (maybe a filter module aswell) but the rest of modular duties will be handled by Reaktor and Silent Way.

I´ll be following this thread very carefully to pick up on tips and tricks from the more experienced wigglers here. Cheers! :guinness:
defalut, Now it is several months later, how did this work out for you? By switching to Percussa SSP, did you achieve what you envisioned?
Hmm; i´m embarassed to admit i sold my SSP and bought a Hydrasynth instead. So i guess the answer is no. :confused:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:29 am

defalut wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:45 am
Hmm; i´m embarassed to admit i sold my SSP and bought a Hydrasynth instead. So i guess the answer is no. :confused:
You seem to be buying and selling at a rather elevated pace though, so I guess the fact that you sold it didn’t have much to do with the SSP itself? You could have achieved what you envisioned with the SSP if you would have wanted to, right?
An exclusive, all Alesis Ion track! The best synth ever made. :guinness:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:31 am

defalut wrote:
synonymist wrote:
defalut wrote:

Thank you. Don't be embarrassed. :) What is clear at least is that you continued to list away from modular towards semi- or non-modular. I hope that Hydrasynth is working out better for you.

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:25 pm

lisa wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:29 am
defalut wrote:
You seem to be buying and selling at a rather elevated pace though, so I guess the fact that you sold it didn’t have much to do with the SSP itself? You could have achieved what you envisioned with the SSP if you would have wanted to, right?
Yeah, maybe i should have made that clear too. The SSP would have been perfect for me if only i would´ve continued on the path i began. It´s a marvelous device and a wonder of engineering and creativity!

For me, however, i tried to have time to be a dad to a 1½ year-old daughter at the same time as i built and filled my first four 104-rows of modules. Building and filling, no problem. Using it = NO.
Only very short-lived tasks and no time for experimenting or anything that requires deep thinking.

Very reluctantly i had to admit that euro/modular isn´t the way for me at the moment. :waah:

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:30 pm

synonymist wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:31 am
defalut wrote:
synonymist wrote:
defalut wrote:

Thank you. Don't be embarrassed. :) What is clear at least is that you continued to list away from modular towards semi- or non-modular. I hope that Hydrasynth is working out better for you.
Thanks! :) Yes, you´re right. I will experiment with modular but in a restricted manner. I´m still building modules and selling the results now and then, and i keep good ones. I might use them with Silent Way in the future, who knows?

Hydrasynth works great though, it´s a beast! :)

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:21 pm

Just got my SSP a couple of days ago , and really happy ... its fantastic module.

I've lots of plans for it, both musically and also on the tech front :)

first 'tech' challenge, I've ported Mutable Instrument Rings - and it sounds excellent on the SSP .

Ive put a pre-release on the Percussa forum...

quick, shaky instragram video...

btw: isn't it awesome that you can just connect your SSP directly to your phone (iOS) to record the audio !

Mostin77
Common Wiggler

Post by Mostin77 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:14 am

thetechnobear wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:21 pm
btw: isn't it awesome that you can just connect your SSP directly to your phone (iOS) to record the audio !
That’s really neat didn’t realise you could do that, is it just a case of plugging the usb cable into the SSP and your phone and recording video?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:08 am

The Techno Bear has ported the code for both Rings and Clouds to the SSP platform. You can check out the thread that he has created about this on the SSP forum:

Thetechnobear's VST Dev Thread on SSP Percussa Forum

Bird Studios is developing a Sample Slicer that is well under way.

Also, Bert has some upcoming news regarding things to make life a bit easier for devs to get down to business with the platform. I will post back here when the news is 'officially ready'.

:sb:

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:53 am

Mostin77 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:14 am
That’s really neat didn’t realise you could do that, is it just a case of plugging the usb cable into the SSP and your phone and recording video?
Pretty much, I use the Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK) , which also means phone can be charged at same time.

I’ve got a couple of other vsts ‘in the works’ , and rings and clouds will get an update to accommodate some nice stuff Bert is doing :)

Once the next vst is in ‘testing’ , I hope to do some videos on the SSP, related to patching techniques and things I’ve been exploring on it .

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 am

Happy days... new Percussa SSP firmware.

after release of my clds (Clouds) and rngs (Rings) vsts, Ive been chatting to Percussa about a few changes and improvements that could be made to the SSP firmware to make VSTs 'feel better'.
Bert was super receptive, and **today** released a new firmware that incorporates these changes (and more!)

Im happy to say, Ive had access to betas to help test, so my clds and rngs are updated and released, and already make use of the new features in the firmware :)

but theres 'one more thing' ...
Today I also release PMIX, a performance mixer for the SSP.
this is an 8 channel in , 4 stereo channel out mixer - with mute, cue , solo and aux (send) outputs.
(of course with the SSP you can chain them! )

I've had it in development for a while and its really changed how I use the SSP, because it makes doing things like send/return so easy - or 'cue-ing' things to my Octatrack for recording.

anyway, here is a quick glimpse of a little rig I've setup

I plan to do a demo now the release is done... (this was hastily thrown together whilst waiting for things to compile etc !)

its a fun rig, all audio is from the SSP... using my VSTs (including an unreleased one ;) )

for the proper demo, I'll be using the CV IO from the SSP, e.g. to get CV from the madrona labs soundplane (via bela) ... but was a bit quicker (tidier?) to just send midi directly from Hermod to SSP.

talking of 'easy' ... all this audio came straight to my phone over USB from the SSP, hence no patch cables...

bschiett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bschiett » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:36 am

Update 26082020 [SSP SDK v2.0, VST support in the Module Picker, Channel Names, Bugfixes, new CLDS/RNGS/PMIX by @thetechnobear] :sb:

This update for the SSP concentrates on improved VST support/usability and a new version of the SSP SDK. The update also includes a new version of the QVCA plugin which is the example plugin from the SSP SDK. You can now simply insert VST plugins directly from the SSP module picker, which speeds up polyphonic patch building on the SSP, when using VST plugins.

This update is also important to support other developers who are developing plugins for the SSP, such as @thetechnobear! His recent work of porting over Mutable Instruments’ Clouds and Rings to the SSP as VST plugins as well as his new PMIX (performance mixer) module is really impressive. See his above post. @thetechnobear also beta-tested this SSP software update and gave valuable feedback on improving the SSP SDK for which we are grateful.

Full details and download links in the forum: https://forum.percussa.com/t/update-260 ... nobear/991
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:02 am

The first rains of autumn here in Spain…
but whilst it may be a bit gloomy outside, its happy and light inside.

Today, I’ve just released PLTS, a ‘macro oscillator’ based on Mutable Instruments Plaits.
I had mean to release it last week, but hit a couple of snags - so you may have seen my instagram post last week

I really love plaits, its a hugely versatile oscillator with 16 (!) engines, that have a lot of mutation in them… but that mutation and modulation is really easy since its via 3 parameters (harmonics, morph and brightness) that between them really open up a huge sonic pallet (include chords in one engine!)
however, despite this versatility its pretty low in cpu usage - the demo above, has 8 plts, 2 pmix and a clds… and is using about 50% (!)
suffice to say, its become a bit of a staple in my SSP patches, so excited to share with you :slight_smile:

anyway, available for download now from the Percussa Forum topic

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:55 am

Quick update... Ive been pretty busy on the dev front on the Percussa SSP.

as of today, Ive now released 8 plugins for the SSP!

ones already mentioned are :
CLDS - MI Clouds
RNGS- MI Rings
PLTS - MI Plaits
PMIX - a performance mixer with panning, main/out outputs and aux sends

recently I also released:
MSW8 - a matrix switch - kind of like a sequential switch, but you can modulate both input and output destinations.
MMX4 - a stereo matrix mixer with cv control

and today... (as I said been busy)
SHQ - a sample and hold with optional quantiser
SWAT - a multi functional module, that has 17 different 'algorithms' , from display functions, delay to comparators.

the idea behind SWAT is a kind of like a dist-ing,
it actually started out as a small test/dev tool which I was using to help dev of SHQ, but realised it could be a nice way to 'release' simple functions very quickly with parameter and CV control, but without having to develop a full VST.

anyway... Ive still lots of other exciting ideas for plugins for the SSP.

also, Im planning on releasing some videos on my youtube channel where I hope to cover not only using these new modules but also some general patching techniques that Ive been exploring on the SSP.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”