NEW! AJH Synth WAVE SWARM - Full VIDEO REVIEW - PATCHES...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

NEW! AJH Synth WAVE SWARM - Full VIDEO REVIEW - PATCHES...

Post by SonicVoltage » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:21 am

Hi,
No threads about the Wave Swarm... so let's have one :)

AJH Synth WAVE ANIMATOR - DUAL 6 STAGE WAVE ANIMATOR

I send a number of different signals through the Wave Animator and
patch out of it with different Outputs configurations.
Surely had fun and I like what it can do in 14HPs!

Here is the full Video Review and Test
[video][/video]

Let me know what you think, feel free to leave comments under the video.
I will appreciate your support in Subscriptions, Likes and Shares as well.

Thanks!

P.S.
So far I have been very pleased with AJH Synth modules here are some more of my AJH synth Reviews
Finaliser R-EQ:
Gemini 2412:
Mini Mod Full System Review and Examples:
Mega Phase 12:
MiniMod CV Mix-Offset-VCA:
MiniMod DH-ADSR Envelope:
Sonic XV:
MiniMod Dual LFO VCA:
Ring SM:

Blingley
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Blingley » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Miniscule pots claim another victim. :mad:

Sounds great, though.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:05 am

loooooove it.

lol. and i don't mind Tiny Pot Syndrome. it has it's place.

odd that there's no CV control, but i get it trying to stay at that hp.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:52 am

any idea when these will be available?

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi,
the post are ok, they are not that close together so I feel fine about them in this case, also they are not wobbly which helps.

Yes, to CV everything 12 LFOs and 2 Dry signals... space and price increase over 14 CV inputs... I was mentioning this on another thread, that those 6 LFOs per voice, due to their different speed, acting like slightly detuned VCOs... each reacts differently on different type of source sound...

So for some input wave, you may find that the faster LFOs are where you want to play... for some other wave input maybe the mid speed LFOs are the sweet spot for musical results... and on other sounds the lowest speed LFOs may be more fun...
Then of course, combinations of levels between all the knobs. So, I feel it would not make sense to have CV control, for example, only of DRY Level and 2 of the LFOs... because for some sounds you would have preferred to have CV control on other LFOs...
You see?

So it is possibly a case of 14 CV Inputs or just save HP space and Money and enjoy the module.

Probably, in use, I wouldn't want to keep changing more than a couple of Levels over a pre-set setting for all 12. Becuase you can easily get into bigger variations and even rhythmic feel variations. So if I want to move a couple of pots am I enjoy the THRILL of hands-on LIVE performance ah ah ahaha

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:39 pm

behndy wrote:any idea when these will be available?
the module is already available, at least in Europe it has been in the shops already for maybe 1 or 2 weeks

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:45 pm

Great video! So tempting to have 9u of just AJH modules...
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

d.thomas
Common Wiggler

Post by d.thomas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 pm

SonicVoltage Thanks for the video!

Been really interested in this one since its announcement.

d.thomas
Common Wiggler

Post by d.thomas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 pm

SonicVoltage

If you end up doing another video (or just want to share your thoughts), I'd be really interested in hearing some patches with wavetables and fm. Also routing a filter before Wave Swarm.

:nana:

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:25 pm

SonicVoltage wrote:
behndy wrote:any idea when these will be available?
the module is already available, at least in Europe it has been in the shops already for maybe 1 or 2 weeks
interrrrressssting. AJH site has it as COMING SOON and Detroit Modular, my go to for new modular loots doesna have it listed yet.

WILL KEEP CHECKING.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 am

Ceres wrote:Great video! So tempting to have 9u of just AJH modules...
Thank you Ceres
Yes it is tempting, did you see my video review of a 9 units AJH Synth MiniMod systems? It was nice to play with it, and it has been sad to have to send it back :). I will gradually try to buy more AJH modules for my system
[video][/video]
Last edited by SonicVoltage on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:36 am

d.thomas wrote:SonicVoltage

If you end up doing another video (or just want to share your thoughts), I'd be really interested in hearing some patches with wavetables and fm. Also routing a filter before Wave Swarm.

:nana:
Good idea, I 'll have to try and video it. I need to get a wave table module actually.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Sounds great. Thank you for the detailed video demo. :tu:

You may be able to fit some small knobs over those shafts but you'll want to see the tick line most likely. Maybe the Makenoise or Intellijel small white lined knobs will work. We'll see, because this is near the top of my list.

AJH are top quality in sound and build.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:41 am

Nice video, enjoyed your others too.

d.thomas there’s FM, wave shaped and wave tables going into it in this video -
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Modular Meets Electric Spring 2020 - THIS SUNDAY FEB 23RD - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=226844

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:39 am

ben_hex wrote:Nice video, enjoyed your others too.

d.thomas there’s FM, wave shaped and wave tables going into it in this video -
Thank you Ben, yes I like your videos as well.

yes between Ben's video and my video there is a decent variety of sounds shown which is cool as they show different character and possibilities of the module.

Nice one!

d.thomas
Common Wiggler

Post by d.thomas » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:25 am

ben_hex Thanks Ben!

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:29 am

What I don't understand is how the speed of the animations was decided, it reads they are fixed on the AJH website, are they in relation to each other somehow?

st_corbin
Common Wiggler

Post by st_corbin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Oh man this thing sounds awesome. Is there a release date for it?

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:03 pm

st_corbin wrote:Oh man this thing sounds awesome. Is there a release date for it?
It has been out in UK for a few weeks at least. I guess it has already been available in Europe. I didn't check US shops

st_corbin
Common Wiggler

Post by st_corbin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:29 pm

SonicVoltage wrote:
st_corbin wrote:Oh man this thing sounds awesome. Is there a release date for it?
It has been out in UK for a few weeks at least. I guess it has already been available in Europe. I didn't check US shops
Hmmm, I’m just seeing coming soon on the AJH websites and not seeing it on any US sites. But if it’s out in Europe then maybe it’s not far off from showing up in the US.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:03 am

TemplarK wrote:What I don't understand is how the speed of the animations was decided, it reads they are fixed on the AJH website, are they in relation to each other somehow?
Hi, I did some digging for you at AJH.
LFO frequencies in the WaveSwarm are not related by an exact mathematical formula. They picked a range of frequencies that worked well together and I think they do work well because you can always find a few LFOs that interact well together on this or that sound source.

AJH will include the actual frequencies in the user guide, so stay tuned for that.
I could use my Rigol to check the frequencies but I don't have time to do that right now... having said that, it may not be that useful because one can expect slight variation of LFOs' frequencies between units. Remember this is a leaving and breathing analogue unit :)

The components' tolerance will also determine the frequencies, so there can be up to 5% difference on individual units. AJH said this was deliberate, so that when using multiple Waveswarms the various beat frequencies will be ever so slightly different.

For this type of use, analogue LFOs setup this way, I think, is a great way to go. It's a keeper for me.

If you use this link, if you have not yet seen it, this link will start the video
where I show the Different LFOs speeds (6 on Channel A)

Hope this is helpful.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:52 am

I see from demos that this always puts out a buzzy waveform, even with a clean sine input. Any other modules like this , but that preserve the input waveshape? I'd love an analog cloud generator.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:43 pm

pinkflag16 wrote:I see from demos that this always puts out a buzzy waveform, even with a clean sine input. Any other modules like this , but that preserve the input waveshape? I'd love an analog cloud generator.
Not that I know of, they all give a buzzy waveform. Why not use the Cloud Generator if that's what you're after? Or do you want something sort of between the two?
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Modular Meets Electric Spring 2020 - THIS SUNDAY FEB 23RD - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=226844

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:57 pm

ben_hex wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:I see from demos that this always puts out a buzzy waveform, even with a clean sine input. Any other modules like this , but that preserve the input waveshape? I'd love an analog cloud generator.
Not that I know of, they all give a buzzy waveform. Why not use the Cloud Generator if that's what you're after? Or do you want something sort of between the two?
I've got the E352, but the size is causing a Tetris issue :). Plus part of me wants to do the same thing, but full analog. No rational basis for that, just emotion.

operator808
Common Wiggler

Post by operator808 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:20 am

So I did some extensive demo'ing over a few hours yesterday in Berlin with the AJH Wave Swarm. I A/B'd it alongside both the Doepfer A137 and A-137-2 Wave Multipliers, and a Happy Nerding Super Sawtor. Channel one of the Wave Swarm's channels received a triangle wave from the Verbos Complex being sequenced by a Metropolis, the other received a static drone from a Mutable Plates in the same root pitch as the Verbos.

AJH was able to amplify and add character to both to create an "ensemble" effect that was very pleasing to the ear, especially with a touch of reverb from TipTop Z-DSP. This would be very handy in making slowly evolving drone, ambient music with swirling synth melodies. I even tried to recreate the final patch from Ben's demo video since it was the reason I was drawn to this module, but obviously his sounded better.

The Doepfer A-137-2 in particular delivered on some of the Wave Swarm's characteristics, particular in fattening up a single wave and not changing the palette completely with too much added harmonic content. I was not impressed with the Super Sawtor in this regard - it was less delicate as a sound-shaping/sculpting tool than the rest.

I will eventually buy the Wave Swarm - it was warmer, more pleasing to the ear and more effective for what I do, but I'm really hoping for a used one or B-stock since nearly 300 euro is a lot for me at the moment. The tiny knobs were not an issue per se but I would have much preferred a bigger panel to accommodate bigger knobs. Hope some of this helps.

xx

xx

Return to “Eurorack Modules”