mBrane from Michigan Synth Works (6HP Yarns)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Footkerchief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

mBrane from Michigan Synth Works (6HP Yarns)

Post by Footkerchief » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:59 pm

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/michigan- ... able-yarns
https://michigansynthworks.com/p/mbrane

I'm a longtime Yarns fan, and getting the same capability in 6HP is intriguing.

Anybody using it? I'm especially curious about the quality of the encoder and buttons.
Last edited by Footkerchief on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markthom
Common Wiggler

Post by Markthom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:59 pm

I've got one sitting ready to be built on my workbench.

Cant offer comment on actual usage, but what I can say at this stage is the Encoder will be the same as on the full size Yarns, and the buttons are the same kind used on Clouds for switching modes / loading saving files.....

Future Aztec
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Future Aztec » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:08 am

I just received the MBrane midi interface module by Michigan Synthworks. First impression: The green LED screen has a nice soft glow, the encoder and buttons feel good. The finish on the face plate has some shine but not too much (black).

I have never used Yarns and I am just getting into the programs. However, just flipping around I managed to get my elektron Analog 4 to send midi start/stop messages and notes. So I used the Arp + Euclid settings to create a pattern, then only have it play when I start the seq on the A4. Very nice.

I was hoping this would be a thread with lots of information, so maybe I'll put down a couple of dumb questions.

1. There are oscillators in there. But what sort of approach(es) can be taken to control the pitch, since pitch comes in through midi.

2. On the box it says "firmware: stock Yarns." Are there other firmwares?

3. Why is it called mBrane? This seems to evoke the idea of membrane type synthesis techniques.

I like the idea where you love your synths and every little detail you learn over the years is dear. So, I am not in a huge rush to know everything. However, I would appreciate some direction on good resources other than the Mutable Instruments quick start guide for Yarns.

soundframes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by soundframes » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:00 am

+1 very interested in any first hand impression over Michigan Synthworks modules.
Especially Mbrane and µburst.

If anyone who could share a though about components quality, overall quality of sonic textures generated and responsiveness to internal processing path, that would be very much appreciated..! (and possibly who can compare to Mutable Instruments modules)

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:32 am

I have purchased a micro rings as well the new smaller version of the Dervish multi effects; both are excellent quality and I have had no issues with either. IMO no one should have any concern purchasing anything from Michigan Synth Works. Great email communication and professional attitude 8-)

bloc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bloc » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:56 am

I have a mBrane as my only smaller MI module. I do think that it's the only Mutable module that can handle a smaller version. I use it with a expander module called Needles wich is great. it makes it so easy to use.

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... nion/12656

MIDI_in_or_out
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MIDI_in_or_out » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:28 am

I'm guessing that since this uses the stock MI firmware there should be no issues with reloading/updating the firmware from the MI site right?

Also, apart from the differing wiring conventions (eg Korg vs Arturia) has anyone had any real world issues with interference due to TRS midi? There's lots of cheap adapters out there as it seems like a pretty straightforward rewiring but apparently the MMA suggest using some fancy shielding/twisted cabling. No doubt prudence there but I'm just the type of luckless mark that would end up getting some type of problem :meh:

Cheers

ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ym2612 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:27 am

Haven't dug into the schematic yet, but does anybody know what polarity the TRS MIDI jacks use on this module? Like Korg or like Arturia?

Edit: Answered my own question. Earlier revisions take Type B (Arturia), later accept either polarity.

kedw
1-Post Wiggler

Re: mBrane from Michigan Synth Works (6HP Yarns)

Post by kedw » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 am

Just picked up one of these this weekend, so far it works great but when I use the 4-channel monophonic (4m) mode, the gates are flipped compared to the CVs (MIDI channel 1 outputs on CV 1, gate 4; channel 2 outputs on CV 2, gate 3, etc...). Anyone else found this to be the case? Or could this be an issue with my particular module?

konjurer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by konjurer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:47 am

I picked up one a couple weeks ago. The column of jacks are reversed. That really through me for a loop while I was using the MI user guide.

konjurer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by konjurer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:52 am

I also have a question... I'm a noob so please bear with my ignorance. Finally got the clock from mBrane to my MicroGrids after I figured out the reversed layout. The clock rate seems really slow. If I dial up to 120 bpm if feels like 30 bpm. So I set the "O/" to 94 (the highest setting) and it seems about right. However, it doesn't feel like I'm understanding how this works. I would really like to see 120 bpm to be 120bpm in the display.

Am I using mBrane correctly top send clock to my drum module?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”