Meng Qi Lines - manual avialable?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
bommelito
Common Wiggler
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:41 am
Location: Germany

Meng Qi Lines - manual avialable?

Post by bommelito » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:55 am

Hi,

today I received my Meng Qi Lines module. Does anybody know of a manual for this module? The website doesn't seem to provide one (I'm only guessing, because the website does not show properly, tried with several browsers, but all I can see is the photo).

Also, for those interested in the module specs, I measured it with my Joranalogue Test3, and found the following power specs:

+12V 18 mA
-12V 20 mA
+5V 0 mA

I have updated the MG module page accordingly.

User avatar
autodafe
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by autodafe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:38 am

same question, I bought one used and now I am like... "WTF"???

User avatar
motorhead412
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:25 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by motorhead412 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:49 pm

chiming in because i'm interested in Lines, wanted to learn more about how i could use it but was baffled by the lack of a manual

muhimnested
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:10 am

Post by muhimnested » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:12 am

You could try reach out to Mengqi. He's active here, on his Facebook page and Instagram. I've gotten responses through his Etsy sales page.

User avatar
reppiks
Obscure Intergalactic Destroyers!
Posts: 1913
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:43 pm
Location: Tokyo

Post by reppiks » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:45 am

Top 4 jacks are inputs.
Lower 4 jacks are outputs.
You can route the ins to the outs in any combination(s) by pressing down the springs to complete the circuit.
The shapes of the copper squares under the springs show which are the common outputs for each channel (eg the top left square is missing the top left corner, as are the 3 other squares going diagonally down. Thus these 4 squares connect the corresponding 1-4 input signals to the first output. Note the symbol by the channel 1 output: it shows those 4 diagonal squares).
That’s all there is to it. The trick to understanding the connections is in the shapes and symbols on the module itself, which are clear and intuitive.

distancing
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Post by distancing » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:47 pm

are they latching connections or momentary?

User avatar
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1374
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, California

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:28 pm

reppiks wrote:Top 4 jacks are inputs.
Lower 4 jacks are outputs.
You can route the ins to the outs in any combination(s) by pressing down the springs to complete the circuit.
The shapes of the copper squares under the springs show which are the common outputs for each channel (eg the top left square is missing the top left corner, as are the 3 other squares going diagonally down. Thus these 4 squares connect the corresponding 1-4 input signals to the first output. Note the symbol by the channel 1 output: it shows those 4 diagonal squares).
That’s all there is to it. The trick to understanding the connections is in the shapes and symbols on the module itself, which are clear and intuitive.
That and if you don't plug anything into the top there is still a normalled connection that gives you voltage. Haven't measured what that is yet.

Semi related, I used this normalled voltage in Lines as well as the Teleplexer to produce an atypical version of Rings into Clouds:

New video for my track
Opening The Portal

User avatar
reppiks
Obscure Intergalactic Destroyers!
Posts: 1913
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:43 pm
Location: Tokyo

Post by reppiks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:42 am

distancing wrote:are they latching connections or momentary?
Momentary: the circuit is only completed by the spring

User avatar
f33d
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:13 am
Location: Europe
Contact:

Post by f33d » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:13 pm

is Lines somehow "touch sensitive", I mean can I decide with my finger-force how wide the vca opens? or is it just "spring touches metal = vca fully open"?
thanks!

User avatar
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1374
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, California

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:22 pm

f33d wrote:is Lines somehow "touch sensitive", I mean can I decide with my finger-force how wide the vca opens? or is it just "spring touches metal = vca fully open"?
thanks!
It's touch sensitive if you ignore the spring and push your finger on the contact.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

adaris
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Maryland

Re:

Post by adaris » Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:22 pm
f33d wrote:is Lines somehow "touch sensitive", I mean can I decide with my finger-force how wide the vca opens? or is it just "spring touches metal = vca fully open"?
thanks!
It's touch sensitive if you ignore the spring and push your finger on the contact.
I got one of these today and on mine at least that is not the case. Ignoring the spring and pushing my finger on the contact doesn't generate any voltage at all.

User avatar
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1374
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, California

Re: Re:

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri May 22, 2020 8:35 pm

adaris wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:22 pm
f33d wrote:is Lines somehow "touch sensitive", I mean can I decide with my finger-force how wide the vca opens? or is it just "spring touches metal = vca fully open"?
thanks!
It's touch sensitive if you ignore the spring and push your finger on the contact.
I got one of these today and on mine at least that is not the case. Ignoring the spring and pushing my finger on the contact doesn't generate any voltage at all.
Are you touching multiple contact points?
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

adaris
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Re:

Post by adaris » Fri May 22, 2020 8:40 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:35 pm
adaris wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:22 pm
f33d wrote:is Lines somehow "touch sensitive", I mean can I decide with my finger-force how wide the vca opens? or is it just "spring touches metal = vca fully open"?
thanks!
It's touch sensitive if you ignore the spring and push your finger on the contact.
I got one of these today and on mine at least that is not the case. Ignoring the spring and pushing my finger on the contact doesn't generate any voltage at all.
Are you touching multiple contact points?
Nope.

User avatar
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1374
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, California

Re: Re:

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 am

adaris wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:40 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:35 pm
adaris wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:22 pm
f33d wrote:is Lines somehow "touch sensitive", I mean can I decide with my finger-force how wide the vca opens? or is it just "spring touches metal = vca fully open"?
thanks!
It's touch sensitive if you ignore the spring and push your finger on the contact.
I got one of these today and on mine at least that is not the case. Ignoring the spring and pushing my finger on the contact doesn't generate any voltage at all.
Are you touching multiple contact points?
Nope.
Well then it won't work, obviously because the module is about bridging voltage between multiple points.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

adaris
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Meng Qi Lines - manual avialable?

Post by adaris » Sat May 23, 2020 5:53 am

Thanks, I figured that out, was just posting so that nobody would be misled by your previous, incorrect, assertion.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”