RYO Altered States

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

RYO Altered States

Post by Prunesquallor » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 am

Well, hello!

Wasn't sure if this should go in the DIY section or not, but sure looks hot!

From Modular Grid:

Altered States is a dual analog state variable filter in a 20hp module.

The filter cores are 12db/oct and based around the clean and reliable 2164 Quad VCA chipset and offers full voltage control over cutoff frequency and resonance as well as individual outputs for each filter response, including a variable state output with manual as well as voltage control.

The filters are identical in featureset, and featureset is as follows:

Controls:

Frequency cutoff control knob
Resonance amount control knob
Frequency cutoff CV attenuverter knob
Input level attenuator with overdrive knob
Variable state control minishaft type
Resonance amount CV attenuverter minishaft type

Inputs/Outputs:

Filter audio input
Frequency cutoff CV input
Frequency cutoff 1V/O scaled input
Resonance amount CV input
Variable state CV input
Variable state output (LP-Notch-HP)
Lowpass output
Bandpass output
Highpass output

Also available are a toggle switches for Combine (links the filter B frequency cutoff controls to filter A), and serial or parallel input routing.

Altered States is a highly versatile dual filter, the input and resonance controls have plenty of range to dial in anything from smooth and clean to harsh, overdriven and screaming resonant tones. The cores are very stable and will give you around 5 octaves of 1V/O tracking sine wave self-oscillation, the LP, BP and HP outputs each have a different phased sine. The state outputs offer seamless fading between lowpass and highpass filter response, with an all-pass/notch response around 50% of the knob setting. With voltage control available on frequency cutoff as well as on resonance and state outs, the Altered States is perfectly suited for the modular environment.
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Dang, looks pretty nice. Kinda making me wonder why I don’t already have a dual state variable filter. Gotta love the name.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

codenuts
Learning to Wiggle

Post by codenuts » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Hello,
I am considering acquiring the module. However, I did not find any reviews so far. Has anyone already had experience with the module?

EternalTurtle
Common Wiggler

Post by EternalTurtle » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:32 pm

I haven't had any experience with this module but they did post a couple of videos four days ago. Seems like a pretty serious dual filter. CV over mode is nice, makes me wish my doepfer wasp filter had the same feature.

[video][/video]
[video][/video]

codenuts
Learning to Wiggle

Post by codenuts » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Just ordered the DIY kit...

honeyb
Common Wiggler

Post by honeyb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:48 am

Think I'll do the same. I like RYO kits, usually clear instructions and fairly straightforward builds.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:12 am

https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

codenuts
Learning to Wiggle

RYO Altered States - Scratchy Sound

Post by codenuts » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:19 pm

OK, the module RYO Altered States is now assembled. It may have been a while, but I've been waiting with the post because I have a little problem with the module ...
In itself, the module sounds very good, from clean to very rough and nice resonances. You can override it nicely and with the blending of HP, BP and LP you can create beautiful effects.

BUT:

As you can hear in the video, I get a very scratchy sound when the resonance in conjunction with an input signal has a certain level. The problem is only with the output B, there however independent of LP, BP, HP or also STATE. The filter works perfectly well on Output A.
I have already checked all solder joints carefully and checked that all resistors and the other components are in the correct position. I have already swapped the ICs completely from left to right. Unfortunately, I could not narrow down the problem or fix it.

I have already written to the support (14 days ago), but unfortunately so far received no answer.

Does somebody has any idea? :help:

[video][/video]

codenuts
Learning to Wiggle

Post by codenuts » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Yippie, I got it! After 2 very long evenings fiddling, I could fix the problem.

After I was able to circle the problem by exchanging specific functions from left to right and vice versa (I made some connection cables for control and mainboard), I found that the problem is not in a faulty or wrong component or a bad solder joint, but is probably owed to the board layout itself, in conjunction with certain component tolerances. The two sides left and right are regarding to the layout not symmetrical.
My finding was that in the filter resonance function block there is a nasty feedback in the OPs in certain constellations (extreme crackling). Unfortunately, I do not have an oscilloscope for a more detailed analysis ... In any case, I could solve the problem by placing one 10nF capacitor at the input of one of the OPs (see picture).

I am definitely satisfied now and it sounds good!

Last edited by codenuts on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:02 pm

probably best posting in the diy forum for diy questions!

codenuts
Learning to Wiggle

Post by codenuts » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:43 am

Agawell wrote:probably best posting in the diy forum for diy questions!
Of course you are completely right. I'll do that better next time.
Greetings.

honeyb
Common Wiggler

Post by honeyb » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:39 am

That's some good sleuthing, codenuts!

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Has anyone else had this problem? I was just about to pick this one up.

DMR
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DMR » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Do others have experience with this module? In comparison to the Make Noise QPAS, I like the CV over state and ability to use the filter as two independent channels.

Gohan2A
Common Wiggler

Post by Gohan2A » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Good job codenuts, hard to find that, respect :yay:

woelfl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by woelfl » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:38 pm

codenuts wrote:After I was able to circle the problem by exchanging specific functions from left to right and vice versa (I made some connection cables for control and mainboard), I found that the problem is not in a faulty or wrong component or a bad solder joint, but is probably owed to the board layout itself, in conjunction with certain component tolerances. The two sides left and right are regarding to the layout not symmetrical.
My finding was that in the filter resonance function block there is a nasty feedback in the OPs in certain constellations (extreme crackling).
Wow, kudos codenuts, that sounds like the most probable explanation of the problem I have with my Altered States...

BTW. I also had the same problem of not receiving any reply from RYO i.e. info@ljunggrenaudio.com, so I wrote Tom "PhineasFreak" here on MW and all he could find out and tell me is that this "unresponsiveness" is unfortunately somehow illness related (regarding his RYO colleague from Sweden) - i.e. that's why we're getting no replies (and I guess also why there's no restock of most RYO kits for quite some time now), though he really didn't have any more info than that... :despair:

Now, the problem with Altered States that I have is that A is not resonating the same way as B, and I went as far as replacing 560pF caps like C22 with several different types, in the end I have 1206 SMDs caps there now... :hihi:

But, none of this made any difference - A just doesn't resonate the same way as B does - i.e. A stops self-oscillating somewhere around 70-80Hz with it's Q set all the way CW when turning the Cutoff CCW from higher freq.
Also, as far as I've measured it with Mordax DATA - the self oscillation, with Q all the way CW, is somewhat weaker in A than in B.

The lack of symmetry in combination with component tolerances that you mention would indeed explain this behaviour here... would you maybe have any suggestions what to try in my case, i.e. to get A to oscillate a bit more, and keep it oscillating below those 70-80Hz?

Thanks a lot & cheers!

Caniffe
Learning to Wiggle

Re: RYO Altered States

Post by Caniffe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:24 pm

First time poster, new-ish DIYer here. I’m having a similar but not identical problem. For me, side A works fine, but side B only self-oscillates. It isn’t passing audio at all. Adjusting the cutoff changes the pitch of the tone, but the resonance knob doesn’t have any effect. Any ideas what might be causing this, or where in the circuit to focus on while troubleshooting?

Thanks!

RawMaterial
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by RawMaterial » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:31 am

codenuts wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:33 pm
Yippie, I got it! After 2 very long evenings fiddling, I could fix the problem....

After I was able to circle the problem by exchanging specific functions from left to right and vice versa (I made some connection cables for control and mainboard), I found that the problem is not in a faulty or wrong component or a bad solder joint, but is probably owed to the board layout itself, in conjunction with certain component tolerances. The two sides left and right are regarding to the layout not symmetrical.
My finding was that in the filter resonance function block there is a nasty feedback in the OPs in certain constellations (extreme crackling). Unfortunately, I do not have an oscilloscope for a more detailed analysis ... In any case, I could solve the problem by placing one 10nF capacitor at the input of one of the OPs (see picture).

I am definitely satisfied now and it sounds good!
This was a brilliant fix, thanks so much for sharing! I just built this module, hoping this issue didn't present, but it did. I put the capacitor in there and it fixed it right up. It's an awesome filter. I love the layout and it's play-ability. And it sounds amazing, driven and not. I think there's still something a little funky (very minor) going on the B channel, but I haven't put my finger on it yet. Very enjoyable as is though.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”