WMD Metron sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

trigger303
Learning to Wiggle

Post by trigger303 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:17 am

Voltera is excellent... what a powerful module, what a space saver!!!
1cv per 1hp with fully programmable 256steps sequence... That's crazy.

BTW, is there an only one COMPOSE SCENE track ?
Or can I use multiple COMPOSE SCENE tracks ?
I have three Volteras and I want to control them individually via COMPOSE SCENE.
(For example, Voltera 1 to Chimera, 2 to Fracture, and 3 to Crusible.)
I don't want them to affect each other, so I need individual track for each Voltera.

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:30 pm

trigger303 wrote:Voltera is excellent... what a powerful module, what a space saver!!!
1cv per 1hp with fully programmable 256steps sequence... That's crazy.

BTW, is there an only one COMPOSE SCENE track ?
Or can I use multiple COMPOSE SCENE tracks ?
I have three Volteras and I want to control them individually via COMPOSE SCENE.
(For example, Voltera 1 to Chimera, 2 to Fracture, and 3 to Crusible.)
I don't want them to affect each other, so I need individual track for each Voltera.
There is only one COMPOSE SCENE track. The best option for that workflow is to make separate scenes and combined scenes.

We are working on some duplicate features that will make the type of sequencing your describing a bit easier.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:11 am

super fun times with the Volteras. so cool how versatile they are. great as a patterned out sequence, delicious as a recorded repeatable tweak channel, delightful as stored voltage flip through, butts good as a live controller with the Select held down.

playing with 2 outs of the Volteras controlling Color and uRate/1vOct on Mimeophon self oscillating -

[video][/video]
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

trigger303
Learning to Wiggle

Post by trigger303 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:38 am

c0rpse wrote:
There is only one COMPOSE SCENE track. The best option for that workflow is to make separate scenes and combined scenes.

We are working on some duplicate features that will make the type of sequencing your describing a bit easier.
Thank you for replying ! I understand.
Separate and combined scenes sound so good! I can't wait!

I know this is so selfish wish...but it'll be great if multiple COMPOSE SCENE tracks are implemented...

So I'm fantasizing that :

[1]
There are 16 COMPOSE SCENE tracks.
By pressing matrix buttons of row 3, I can choose COMPOSE SCENE track to edit from among these 16 tracks.
(hereinafter called "COMPOSE SCENE track select button")

[2]
Each Voltera is associated to one of the COMPOSE SCENE track.
(Multiple Volteras can be associated to one track)
By holding the COMPOSE SCENE track select button, I can see which track each Voltera is assigned to.
If the Voltera is assigned to current COMPOSE SCENE track, the select LED on Voltera become bright.

[3]
Pressing Voltera's select button while holding COMPOSE SCENE track select button toggles assignment to
current COMPOSE SCENE track.

Sorry, my opinion may be irrelevant...

Joey P.
Common Wiggler

Post by Joey P. » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:50 pm

(delete)

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:16 pm

blahsheheggwgehhhegergGGDHBEBENHHH.

spent about 20 minutes freaking out that i'd wrecked my Metron doing a rack shuffle and adding 2 more Volteras because no gates where firing even though she was letting me enter data and save and load and everything then noticed gates 5 - 16 were fine just 1 - 4 were buggered.

apparently her Fill Mutes stay active during power cycling.

MOOF.

hurpahDURP.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:09 am

love how versatile the Volteras are. it's super fun to hold select and use them as controllers for live wuggles, then record repeatable patterns.

[video][/video]

rembrandtvanrijn
Common Wiggler

Post by rembrandtvanrijn » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:01 pm

c0rpse wrote:
behndy wrote:also, some times i can't adjust the first step off a page for Voltera. like, if i enter a C1 then want to change it, i have to clear the pattern to be able to enter a different value.

i'm trying to hold down the first step then wiggle the relevant Voltera to change data.
Steps have "take up" logic applied to them meaning you have to hit the voltage that's already programmed on the step with the knob before it will change.

If you have changed the knob range to a range that can't hit the current value on the step, then you will not be able to change it without first clearing the step. If you hold the SELECT button and press the lit step, you can clear just that step instead of the whole pattern.
I'm wondering if anyone finds this take up logic annoying? I would prefer for the value to change instantly once the knob is moved.

Lacer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lacer » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:50 am

Maybe a n00b question, please forgive me...

I'd like to use my Metron with the Voltera (hoping it arrives soon...) to sequence longer notes then 1/16th's, e.g. 1/4, or 1/2, or 1/1, or even 2/1.

Can anybody please explain how can I do this with a maximum gate length of 100% of 1/16th of the Metron? Many thanks in advance!

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:39 am

the CV (note value) stays the same until you change it, ie - set a Voltera for C2 on step one, C3 on step 9. it will stay C2 for 8 full steps/whole notes.

and gates can be longer than a step. if you hold down the step and move the (i think the right) encoder, it will go as long as you want.

hope that helps!

Lacer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lacer » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks behndy! Works as expected. :hail:

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Hey Y'all!

We've got a new Firmware V1.3.1 up for your downloading pleasure!

DOWNLOAD V 1.3.1 NOW

METRON V1.3.1 CHANGELOG
-Voltera LOOP ENABLE was not saving when leaving the menu. Fixed
-Pressing SELECT in RANDOM/BURST/GATE freezes CURRENT STEP display. Fixed.
-Compose Scene from the button doesn't change until the next clock. Fixed.
-Single track view cannot enter steps on page 5 or above. Fixed.
-Voltera timing improvements for compatibility with more modules.

cobysharesmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Re: WMD Metron sequencer

Post by cobysharesmusic » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Been using the Metron for awhile and I love it. I just picked up a couple of Volteras today. Something that I'm not sure about, maybe it's a bug or a user error, is the Voltera only goes 16 steps. Is that correct? If I make a 32 step pattern on Metron, the same CV from the first 16 steps plays out from Voltera even if I assign different CV values to steps 17-32 on Metron (does that make sense?). I'm hoping this is a bug or I'm doing something wrong. Cheers!
cobysharesmusic.bandcamp.com
I enjoy making weird tunes

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:52 pm

While holding the pattern length button down, change your view to the page you want (I.e. page 2), then move the knob on the Voltera channel you want to select it, and then hit the step where you want the Voltera track to end (I.e. step 16 on page 2).

I would recommend watching the videos of the workflow. The process is always select function, select channel, then set parameter. It’s fairly simple and intuitive once you know it but not necessarily easy to figure out on your own without watching it first.

cobysharesmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cobysharesmusic » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:05 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:52 pm
While holding the pattern length button down, change your view to the page you want (I.e. page 2), then move the knob on the Voltera channel you want to select it, and then hit the step where you want the Voltera track to end (I.e. step 16 on page 2).

I would recommend watching the videos of the workflow. The process is always select function, select channel, then set parameter. It’s fairly simple and intuitive once you know it but not necessarily easy to figure out on your own without watching it first.
Ok I'll keep watching the vids to find that part, I always miss something! I see it in the manual now under Functions that use the Turn Gesture :doh: Thanks :]
cobysharesmusic.bandcamp.com
I enjoy making weird tunes

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:08 pm

cobysharesmusic wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:05 pm
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Ok I'll keep watching the vids to find that part, I always miss something! I see it in the manual now under Functions that use the Turn Gesture :doh: Thanks :]
No problem. It’s really funny to me how much the change to a knob from a button threw me off when the actual workflow is so similar!

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:46 pm

yah. love the design of the UI. just makes sense. and any time i'm like, "i wonder how i.... durp. same as the other thing, just THIS. beauty.".

it really feels like spending tons of time with an old school drum machine or groovebox where little tricks and treats reveal themselves occasionally.

like, if you're on Variation C, stop the pattern, and want to start in A, clicking A a couple times then hitting reset before play pops you over to A when starting.

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:29 pm

Any update on when the black metron panels might be available separately? Also, any tips for swapping the panels? there's a lot going on on the metron, i'd hate to mess something up...
www.youtube.com/cryosion I make live improv-ish music on my modular. Sort of house-techno-bass music or something.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:00 pm

ihavea4 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:29 pm
Any update on when the black metron panels might be available separately? Also, any tips for swapping the panels? there's a lot going on on the metron, i'd hate to mess something up...
Or black panels in general? I want a black Chimera panel!
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Decided to try it since it looks like it integrates well in my workflow.

I like stepping many cv sequencers interacting with each others, and I always wanted a good gate source, with variable gate length, flexible, etc..

so it looked like the metron is just want I wanted.

The thing when sequencing xox style, when the steps include cv info, it is pretty rigid and I have explored this type of sequencing a lot with many machines. But with a gate sequencer stepping a few cv sequencers, you get way more variations and surprises, a step can be a note or another depending of on witch steps the cv sequencers are on, I love that and I can only explore that on a modular synth as far as I know.

SO I love separating steps and cv sequencing, the team at wmd seems to agree and enable it with the metron.

When I got the nice black module in my hand, I looked at it, then did a face palm when I realized there were no start-stop button.

does not seem to me like something you can discard easily on a sequencer, but they did that

...and the reset out behavior was pretty bizarre, I' will have to make a suggestion cause it does not suit my needs at all (like resetting my cv equencers on stop)

BUT my first jam was really pleasant, and the metron seems to unlock a lot of potential in my modular. For what I want to do with it, it looks promising in therms of musical output.

In a month I'll know more.... it does give a weird look to my modular, like a giant calculator or something weird, I really disliked the look but my first jam was so fun I may end up liking it? :)
...anyway my bet is I will have great things to say about it soon

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:02 pm

DJMaytag wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:00 pm
ihavea4 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:29 pm
Or black panels in general? I want a black Chimera panel!
We're working on it, we expect to have them shipping in January.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

rembrandtvanrijn
Common Wiggler

Post by rembrandtvanrijn » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:18 am

Anyone know if it's possible to get a longer ribbon cable to connect Voltera>Metron somewhere? Currently can't fit the Voltera on the right hand side of my Metron as the cable doesn't reach far enough :doh:

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:45 pm

The cables were measured to length. Make sure you have the cable connected to the header closest to the location of the Voltera you want. Left when looking at the back. You can use either header on Metron.

If that doesn't do it, then you got a short cable somehow, and we can send you a replacement. Please email us or reach out on the web form. https://wmdevices.com/pages/contact-information
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

Gohan2A
Common Wiggler

Post by Gohan2A » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:41 pm

WaveRider wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:49 pm
metron seems to unlock a lot of potential in my modular
+1

(voltera) random voltages please :hail:

kwil
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by kwil » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:09 pm

VanEck wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:15 am
one feature that did blow my mind is the ability to daisy chain 2 together, and then zoom in and have all 128 steps per single track available in front of you.
Is it possible to chain two Metrons so you can see 32 steps at a time like a Polyend Seq? I can't see anything about daisy chaining in the manual.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”