WMD Metron sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: WMD Metron sequencer

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:17 am

Nope. You’ll have to use your fingers.

You can use the assignable CV inputs to step forward or backward through the variations.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:06 pm

Hm, seems I lost my card. So what kind of card do I need to get?

Any particular size or specifications (like speed rating etc)?

Which brand and model was delivered from factory?
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:41 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:06 pm
Which brand and model was delivered from factory?
The one that came with mine is a SanDisk Edge 8gb, HC I with a little 4 in the circle, which I think is a pretty relatively slow speed

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks for the quick answer, spot on. I found the card, that 4 seems to be the class. Current cards are class 10 (mobile), so I would assume that this is what came with the metron:

https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Flash-M ... B001D0ROGO

Since 16GB cards class 10 are half the prize, I wonder which things are backwards compatible and which aren´t. But at 10 bucks, I´m sticking to the original.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:30 pm

I've been having a great time learning the ins and outs of this sequencer, and can't wait to see what else gets added in future firmware updates. Figuring out some of its not so apparent intricacies has definitely been a challenge though. The tutorial videos and manual are great resources but I find the manual a bit hard to understand at times. One important thing that it is missing is a table of "hotkeys" or most used/important key combos. So in working my way through the manual I've been writing down some of these combos to have them more readily accessible. For everyone's benefit I've compiled them below. This is by no means an exhaustive list (only what I've gotten up to so far) and I'll be adding more as I go, but if anyone wants to mention some that aren't there (or that are wrong) please let me know. Hope some people find this helpful!

Metron Hotkeys
Underlined words are the function the button combos are used for

Hold Tempo + turn Encoder 1 = Tempo BPM change
Hold Tempo + turn Encoder 2 = Shuffle Amount
Hold Tempo + press Encoder 2 = Turn off Shuffle

Press Variation 1x = Switch to that variation for editing
Press Variation 2x = Switch to that variation at the end of the current variation
Press Variation 3x = Switch to that variation at the end of the next bar
Hold FillFX + press Variation = Switch to that variation immediately

Hold Record + press Reset = Pause the sequence and silence all channels; same to start up again

Press Record + tap Track Select 1-4 = Record a quantized pattern on that respective Track
Press Record + turn Voltera knob 1-4 = Record voltages for that respective Track

Mute Scenes are Mute Presets or Groups of Mutes to turn on/off at the same time
1) On the FillFX page, select the channels to be included in a mute group/scene (selected channels' LEDs are off)
2) Hold Mute 1-16 + press Track 1 = Save those muted channels as a group/scene
3) Hold Track 1 + press Mute 1-16 = Recall that group/scene of muted channels
* Hold Track 2/3 + press Mute 1-16 = Disable that specific channel from any Mute Group/Scene it is a part of

Save a Custom Roll Pattern
1) Input a 16 step pattern on any Track
2) Hold the respective Track Select button + press FillFX
3) Turn Encoder 1 to the roll slot # it will be saved under
4) Press Encoder 1 + release the Track Select button you were holding

Hold Roll Slot 1-16 + press Track 2 = assign that roll pattern to specific channels (solid LED = channel is assigned; flashing LED = not assigned)

Hold Loop 1-16 = Loop the pattern from step 1 up to the step being held
Hold Track 2/3 + press Loop 1-16 = Include that selected channel in the loop (solid LED = included channel)
Hold Roll 1-16 or Loop 1-16 + press Track 4 = Latch that FX function; press Track 4 again to unlatch

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:51 pm

:hail: :hail: :hail:

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:46 am

Maybe I am crazy but is there no start/stop button on this?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 am

wavecircle wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:46 am
This seems to come up a lot. Hold record and tap reset to pause or resume. Actually, there are two transport options, depending on your setup. (Remember, Metron is not always master clock.)

See https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... t#p3028145 for more explanation.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 am

wavecircle wrote:
Get a Pams or Frequency Central Chronograf.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 am

DJMaytag wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 am
wavecircle wrote:
I would recommend to keep Metron as a master clock and use the workaround with "Tempo+Encoder" described above. I've been using it since day 1 without any problems. Metron offers so many advanced features like micro-timing, ratcheting, swing, triplets, beat jumping, fill fx - I bet some of those could eventually mess up with an external clock and especially the reset signal, especially with just 4ppqn resolution, for example.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:27 am

dbeats wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 am
DJMaytag wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 am
wavecircle wrote:
I would recommend to keep Metron as a master clock and use the workaround with "Tempo+Encoder" described above. I've been using it since day 1 without any problems. Metron offers so many advanced features like micro-timing, ratcheting, swing, triplets, beat jumping, fill fx - I bet some of those could eventually mess up with an external clock and especially the reset signal, especially with just 4ppqn resolution, for example.
I never use Metron as master clock. I imagine most of us that have a studio involving more than eurorack wouldn’t. I haven’t tested extensively but I haven’t run into any issues syncing it to an external clock. I sync it to my Vector which is in turn synced to my Cirklon.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:09 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:27 am
I never use Metron as master clock. I imagine most of us that have a studio involving more than eurorack wouldn’t.
Yes, of course, you are right. But that's a completely different setup and has nothing to do with the start/stop issue.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:39 pm

dbeats wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 am
I bet some of those could eventually mess up with an external clock and especially the reset signal, especially with just 4ppqn resolution, for example.
It was a response directly to this statement, perhaps I misunderstood.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:08 pm

If I’m not using Pams, I’m using my DAW w/ Expert Sleepers ES-3 setup with a ton of expander modules. Both seem pretty rock solid so far, though I use Pam’s more than the ES rig.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:44 am

For those that have been using Metron for a while, how hands on is this thing ? I currently have the Erica Drum Sequencer and I am toying with the idea of making the switch. I have been perfectly happy with the DS except the way it works with accents (basically only working with Erica modules), it's super hands on and I use the mute feature a lot for example. With Axxent coming out I think the metron could replace the DS, but the one time I saw it in a store I though it was really quite small. It seems like a module with performance in mind so I'm not too worried, but still those little buttons are 4times smaller than the big keys on the DS...

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Works pretty well for me, but I´m not a heavy user yet. The buttons are ca 1hp in diameter and 1hp spaced (I just held a 1hp blind panel over them, so it´s not an exact measure). I can set/unset single steps with no issue at all, average sized hands. Since the buttons are very flat, it´s super easy to slide your finger over the panel and create/delete multiple entries _quickly_. Still good tactile feedback. LED brightness difference is big enough to spot different states easily. However, I would much prefer to have 1,5,9 and 13 in a different color. Not sure if the button caps are available in other colors than red or if a different LED color would really shine thru (if you can change LEDs in the first place).

I like that you can either use a standard Metron track for accents, which then can be moved around, copied, nudged etc, ie it´s independent. Or you can use an Axxent track, which is tied to a Metron track. That way, you get best of both worlds. Volteras can be added step by step, so grow as big as you want or need.

Still waiting for that 16 button mute module, that would give you access to each track directly or 16 mute groups in a toggled mode, hint hint.

Not to forget: WMD have a number of great "in depth" and "tips and tricks" tutorials on youtube and continue to deliver. Very helpful in learning and brushing up skills. No matter how much you played around, there is always a nice little move you didn´t know about yet.

*EDIT*
I´m an idiot ^^. The switch caps are transparent white, so any color LED will work - IF it can be replaced.
Last edited by Mr. Aloud on Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gohan2A
Common Wiggler

Post by Gohan2A » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Code: Select all

only working with Erica modules
Whaaa! that's incredible !
For sync i sold all modules wanted work as master clock (like pamela).. my master clock are midibox seq v4 for the moment,
great "reliability", and metron work great as slave/reset mode (for one time i'm happy!)

steffie268
Common Wiggler

Post by steffie268 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:16 am

Just finished reading this entire thread, phew…
I'm still quite new to the modular realm and when I did my research for what modules to get the Metron was soon off my radar because why would I ever need so many triggers and how would I ever afford such an "expensive" module?
At the moment I have a Stillson Hammer MkII which I got as a partial trade for my FR-777, a Stepper Acid (because it was on my radar and one came up at a good price) and a Voltage Block (which I didn't want but I needed a dedicated modulation source and this was the most bang for the buck).
I love my set up and I'm having great fun with it, even though it has its limitations (using all Hammer tr'acks to trigger percussive voices, not ideal but that will change when my Time Wizard is fixed).
As "luck" would have it I stumbled upon a Voltera video and this got the ball rolling...
I can't afford to get a Metron/Voltera combo alongside what I already have, but I could replace the bunch I have with a Metron/Voltera(s)/Time Warp combo...
Now for my actual question: how would I sequence a 303-style line - 1 Metron track for the gates, 1 Metron track for the accents and 1 Metron track with a copy of the gate track minus the un-tied gates (so the Time Warp only does slides when I want it to)? If that assumption is correct, driving 2 acidboxes would take up 6 Metron tracks?
Sorry for the long-winded post and thanks in advance for your feedback.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:23 am

To answer your question, Metron is a fairly general purpose tool: it has sixteen tracks of gates to itself, they’re all identical in functionality, and you can use them however you want to. It does have a bit of a percussion sequencing bias, but that is its main task for most people. The real question is whether the Metron workflow suits you, and only you can determine that, and the best way to do so (without borrowing one) is to watch all of Alex’s tutorial videos 4-5 times each. If you feel you’re internalizing the button combos fairly easily and can imagine actually using the module, then it might be a good fit for you.

So, yeah, you could use three Metron tracks to control gate/accent/slew. Note that we don’t have an official demo or manual for Time Warp yet, so we’re speculating a bit. Also, you might only need one accent track and/or slew track for multiple voices, depending on your approach. Also, the new AXXENT expander gives you another sixteen supplemental gate outputs for Metron in 4hp, and these are specifically designed for handling accents, freeing up Metron tracks accordingly. I assume you’ve already figured out that Voltera gets its own tracks.

In my opinion, the Metron/Voltera combo is not so ideal for melodic pitch sequencing. You can do it, but I can think of many preferable ways (for me). On the other hand, I think Voltera is pretty amazing for parameter sequencing: it’s so easy to add custom parameter offsets at any point you like.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:55 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:23 am
In my opinion, the Metron/Voltera combo is not so ideal for melodic pitch sequencing. You can do it, but I can think of many preferable ways (for me). On the other hand, I think Voltera is pretty amazing for parameter sequencing: it’s so easy to add custom parameter offsets at any point you like.
I bought it because it COULD do that with a Voltera or two (or eight), but I'm holding on to other melodic options, like my Qu-Bit Bloom and Frequency Central Cryptograf sequencers.

I think Metron & Voltera might be a pretty solid combination for driving a Qu-Bit Chord V2 for more harmonic oriented stuff, but we'll see how that goes. I haven't had a chance to sit down with Voltera for pitch sequencing one CV out and variable voltages on another CV out, which I intend to use to change up the chord types. I might need a third Voltera CV output to switch up voicing/quality too.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:02 am

steffie268 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:16 am
Now for my actual question: how would I sequence a 303-style line - 1 Metron track for the gates, 1 Metron track for the accents and 1 Metron track with a copy of the gate track minus the un-tied gates (so the Time Warp only does slides when I want it to)?
Since you seem to be aiming at that acid sound, you should be aware of the fact that there are different glide modes. You can probably dial in a nice curve manually for each session with Time Warp but it might not be the same sound as a 303-ish glide. See here, for example:
viewtopic.php?t=120397

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:02 am

steffie268 wrote:
Now for my actual question: how would I sequence a 303-style line - 1 Metron track for the gates, 1 Metron track for the accents and 1 Metron track with a copy of the gate track minus the un-tied gates (so the Time Warp only does slides when I want it to)? If that assumption is correct, driving 2 acidboxes would take up 6 Metron tracks?
FWIW, my "acid" setup is Metron/Voltera --> Arpitecht/Quadra --> Erica Bassline --> XAOC Tallin. I use tracks 13-16 on Metron to Arpitecht STEP, RESET, SLIDE, RANDOM, Voltera tracks 1-2 to Arpitecht NOTES, TRANSPOSE. Sometimes I'll use another Voltera to SLIDE TIME. For me this is insanely fun for jamming. I do wish the Bassline had more CV control for things like resonance and VCF Envelope depth and time, but those are fun to play manually anyway. The Bassline has one fatal flaw IMO, that is the VCA envelope is AR instead of ASR (VCA does not stay open during a high gate). So when Arpitecht holds gate high during a slide, Bassline does not. My workaround is to open the VCA full (Bassline drones with VCA env full CW) and use the Tallin as my VCA, enveloped by ASR out of the Quadra. The bonus is that I now have distortion when I want it.

You might think the Ariptecht is just for upwards or downwards linear arpeggios but its way more than that and the idea of driving the sequencer with multiple gate tracks is super fun. The basics are pretty well documented in the WMD videos.
FS: Euro Bargain Bin, Tuesday, Supercell, Mutable, Malekko, more!
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

steffie268
Common Wiggler

Post by steffie268 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:16 pm

davidjames wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:02 am
steffie268 wrote:
FWIW, my "acid" setup is Metron/Voltera --> Arpitecht/Quadra --> Erica Bassline --> XAOC Tallin. I use tracks 13-16 on Metron to Arpitecht STEP, RESET, SLIDE, RANDOM, Voltera tracks 1-2 to Arpitecht NOTES, TRANSPOSE. Sometimes I'll use another Voltera to SLIDE TIME. For me this is insanely fun for jamming. I do wish the Bassline had more CV control for things like resonance and VCF Envelope depth and time, but those are fun to play manually anyway. The Bassline has one fatal flaw IMO, that is the VCA envelope is AR instead of ASR (VCA does not stay open during a high gate). So when Arpitecht holds gate high during a slide, Bassline does not. My workaround is to open the VCA full (Bassline drones with VCA env full CW) and use the Tallin as my VCA, enveloped by ASR out of the Quadra. The bonus is that I now have distortion when I want it.

You might think the Ariptecht is just for upwards or downwards linear arpeggios but its way more than that and the idea of driving the sequencer with multiple gate tracks is super fun. The basics are pretty well documented in the WMD videos.
Any soundcloud or YT links to any of your jams? You made me curious...

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:02 pm

AXXENT expander for metron and New firmware V1.4 available now!

Get the new firmware here: https://wmdevices.com/products/metron

METRON V1.4 CHANGELOG
-Added functionality for new Axxent expander.
-Bug: Holding a track select button and pressing clear deletes track 1. Fixed.
-Bug: Probability Layer 2 is not copied in COMPOSE ARRANGE. Fixed.
-LOOP RECORD now records Voltera information.
-Bug: Voltera LOOP playhead is off by one step. FIXED.
-RECORD FROM VARIATION now records Voltera information.
-Record mode now only follows the longest track being displayed instead of the longest in the VARIATION.
-Voltera SELECT now works in GATE/BURST/RANDOM MODE
-Bug: Voltera voltage override display would fight the playhead display in single track view. Fixed.
-Bug: Closed Nudge ALL doesn't nudge voltera. Fixed.
-Bug: SBUS track is off by one step. Fixed.
-Pressing TRACK GROUP in MEM now returns to COMPOSE MODE.
-Bug: Certain assign input settings would cause the outputs to stay high. Fixed.

Also, AXXENT expander is shipping now! Check out the demo!

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:04 pm

Programing pitch info with voltera is great using the record mode. I stumble a bit when I'm programing a fresh sequence one step at a time though with the way that all subsequent steps change their pitch data when working from left to right. Anyone else feel this way? I get it, it just messes with my head. Any best practices/tips for step by step programming?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”