WMD Metron sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Re: WMD Metron sequencer

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:18 pm

A quick thought is to just pre program a line with the initial note and then as you sequence left to right, edit as needed. You'll go back to that initial note, but it might help with the mental aspect. It's helped me a couple times at least...

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:57 pm

second_breakfast wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:04 pm
Programing pitch info with voltera is great using the record mode. I stumble a bit when I'm programing a fresh sequence one step at a time though with the way that all subsequent steps change their pitch data when working from left to right. Anyone else feel this way? I get it, it just messes with my head. Any best practices/tips for step by step programming?
Yeah I sometimes find it hard to visualize my voltera sequences as I'm putting them in and holding the step and turning the knob a bit to see the pitch value isn't really a perfect system. I'm hoping wmd adds a way to lock the voltera pattern onto the matrix like you can do with individual tracks, or create someway to review the voltera values more easily. I'm still loving it more than any other sequencing solution I've tried, but I'm hoping to see some adjustments like this in future updates. One thing that threw me off for a while would be when I'd adjust the length of the metron track for a particular voice and forget to extend the length of the voltera track for that same voice. So now I make sure to always do that as soon as I change the pattern length of a track. Also remember to hit Reset after changing the voltera pattern length since it won't always be in sync with it's corresponding metron track when you change it.

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:30 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:18 pm
A quick thought is to just pre program a line with the initial note and then as you sequence left to right, edit as needed. You'll go back to that initial note, but it might help with the mental aspect. It's helped me a couple times at least...
That's a great idea. Gunna try this out now!

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:34 pm

FatKingTubby wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:57 pm
Yeah I sometimes find it hard to visualize my voltera sequences as I'm putting them in and holding the step and turning the knob a bit to see the pitch value isn't really a perfect system. I'm hoping wmd adds a way to lock the voltera pattern onto the matrix like you can do with individual tracks, or create someway to review the voltera values more easily. I'm still loving it more than any other sequencing solution I've tried, but I'm hoping to see some adjustments like this in future updates. One thing that threw me off for a while would be when I'd adjust the length of the metron track for a particular voice and forget to extend the length of the voltera track for that same voice. So now I make sure to always do that as soon as I change the pattern length of a track. Also remember to hit Reset after changing the voltera pattern length since it won't always be in sync with it's corresponding metron track when you change it.
Agreed. I also get thrown off by the soft takeover when I'm editing a sequence. It interrupts my flow to have to turn the turn the knob to find the pitch before I can edit it. My impulse is to turn the knob in the direction I want the pitch to go. Would be great to have some options for knob takeover behavior.

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:26 pm

Hey everyone! Your pains are heard and felt. We love feedback on these types of interface improvements.

A couple ideas are in the works for helping with the sequence "visualization" problems.

One thing I have been doing lately is programming a few root notes using the COMPOSE SCENE mode. Then go back and program or record the changes on the Voltera tracks.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:39 am

NastyNachos wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:02 pm
AXXENT expander for metron and New firmware V1.4 available now!

Get the new firmware here: https://wmdevices.com/products/metron
After the firmware update, my Metron still says v1.31 in the global settings - maybe a small cosmetic bug?

vibralux
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vibralux » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:26 pm

+1 on the soft takeover vs immediate takeover option for pitch sequencing.
MY YT CHANNEL WITH MODULES REVIEWS:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3IgU2 ... hKH8ou7YTQ

MODULARS, ABLETON, MIXING. Stop reading manuals. Start making music.
http://www.colormysound.com/

Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Joey P. » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:40 pm

dbeats wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:39 am
After the firmware update, my Metron still says v1.31 in the global settings - maybe a small cosmetic bug?

1.4 reported in global here. Added Axxent and Time Warp to the Metron and Volteras. 32 gates and 24 CV from Metron.
IMG_0557.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:45 pm

Joey P. wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:40 pm
1.4 reported in global here. Added Axxent and Time Warp to the Metron and Volteras. 32 gates and 24 CV from Metron.
Nice setup. With the plethora of CV jacks on those NE, WMD and SSF perc modules, I’ll be those Voltera CVs are seeing heavy duty!

Last I checked, WMD manufactures all the SSF and NE modules—if that’s still true, you could name your lower rack “Colorado”.

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:29 pm

Man, I'm excited to add an AXXENT to the crew! I'm still waiting to hear about the black Metron panels though. I thought they were supposed to be up for sale last Fall, but I haven't heard anything since. Is that still happening?
www.youtube.com/cryosion I make live improv-ish music on my modular. Sort of house-techno-bass music or something.

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 pm

Cryosion wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:29 pm
Man, I'm excited to add an AXXENT to the crew! I'm still waiting to hear about the black Metron panels though. I thought they were supposed to be up for sale last Fall, but I haven't heard anything since. Is that still happening?
It's happening, but super delayed because we're almost all working from home due to COVID and keeping everyone safe and legal. They'll be live on the WMDevices website when we can safely get them packed and ready for shipment. Further

Metron re-paneling also requires some tools and a good video to help you not break it, the assembly is fairly complicated because of the use of captivated light pipes. Can't film this video without a lot of planning, and a few people in the room, hence further delays.

Thanks for your patience!
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:30 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:45 pm
Joey P. wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:40 pm
Nice setup. With the plethora of CV jacks on those NE, WMD and SSF perc modules, I’ll be those Voltera CVs are seeing heavy duty!

Last I checked, WMD manufactures all the SSF and NE modules—if that’s still true, you could name your lower rack “Colorado”.
FWIW - WMD hasn't manufactured NE modules since early 2018. SSF is also doing most of his own assembly now as well. We are manufacturing the WMD/SSF line however. This has let us spend a lot more time on our own designs and production!

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:10 pm

WMDevices wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 pm
Cryosion wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:29 pm
It's happening, but super delayed because we're almost all working from home due to COVID and keeping everyone safe and legal. They'll be live on the WMDevices website when we can safely get them packed and ready for shipment. Further

Metron re-paneling also requires some tools and a good video to help you not break it, the assembly is fairly complicated because of the use of captivated light pipes. Can't film this video without a lot of planning, and a few people in the room, hence further delays.

Thanks for your patience!
Ah, I was wondering about that... good to know! Thanks for the update! I hope you guys are all staying safe, that absolutely comes first.
www.youtube.com/cryosion I make live improv-ish music on my modular. Sort of house-techno-bass music or something.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sun May 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Let´s discuss this idea:

Enable "module flip configuration" so that Volteras can be mounted upside down. Per Voltera please, so maybe a setup routine to press and hold the select button, then choose normal or flipped orientation.

This means that the values created by Voltera pots need to be reversed in order to give the same min/max orientation, ie
"-5V .. +5V" turns into "+5V .. -5V"
"0V..10V" turns into "10..0V"

That way, you can put Volteras next to Crater, Fracture, Crucible, Chimera and have all sockets on the same level. This prevents cables crossing all the pots and gives way better access to the pots. Also, the select button would then be in a similar place to the trigger button of the drum modules.

Instead of this:
drums normal orientation.jpg
my drum case would be much tidier like this:
drums voltera flipped.jpg
What do you say?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sun May 03, 2020 3:46 pm

Why can't your Volteras just be on the bottom row next the the Metron?

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Sun May 03, 2020 5:41 pm

Well they could, I even tried that physically, but found that it´s much better for my workflow to have the "automation knobs" (Volteras) next to the modules they actually work with. With the current layout, I have the primary parameters of "sequence and mix" in one row, then the secondary parameters of "timbre and sound" in another.

An older layout which I tried looked like this:
drums voltera block.jpg
And even with the 1hp blind panel the parameter assignment was not as intuitive as it is now.

I think about using Volteras as CV source for other modules (outside of this drum case) as well, depending on their socket layout I would also prefer to be more flexible with Voltera positioning.

It´s not a must have, it would just raise Voltera´s usability and value.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Mon May 04, 2020 10:35 am

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:01 pm
Let´s discuss this idea:

Enable "module flip configuration" so that Volteras can be mounted upside down. Per Voltera please, so maybe a setup routine to press and hold the select button, then choose normal or flipped orientation.

This means that the values created by Voltera pots need to be reversed in order to give the same min/max orientation, ie
"-5V .. +5V" turns into "+5V .. -5V"
"0V..10V" turns into "10..0V"

That way, you can put Volteras next to Crater, Fracture, Crucible, Chimera and have all sockets on the same level. This prevents cables crossing all the pots and gives way better access to the pots. Also, the select button would then be in a similar place to the trigger button of the drum modules.

Instead of this:
drums normal orientation.jpg

my drum case would be much tidier like this:
drums voltera flipped.jpg

What do you say?
This could be done simply with a replacement panel (to flip the text) and 4x opposite facing knobs. No changes to firmware would be needed, but the knobs/jacks would always go in reverse order, 4 to 1. I'll talk to the dev team about it, none of us have attempted this workflow. Making longer cables so you can get the modules where you want is not a problem.

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 am

I need to investigate, but it seems like the "memory -> load" feature started behaving differently since the last update.

Let say slot 3 is currently playing.
"Memory -> Load (tempo) -> [1] -> Load" won't change anything. I managed to load a different preset after a full power cycle but again, I need to investigate more and I don't really know what happened (and to date I can still reproduce this behavior). Also, pressing "compose" isn't doing anything.

Anyone else has observed this? Perhaps I simply missed something?

akrenaut
Common Wiggler

Post by akrenaut » Wed May 06, 2020 10:38 am

Is there a way to have one of four Voltera sequences play at 1/2 speed? Essentially if the drums and all other parts were at 128bpm, but I want one of my sequences to play back at 64bpm.
[bbvideo][bbvideo]

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Wed May 06, 2020 12:33 pm

paranormind wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 am
I need to investigate, but it seems like the "memory -> load" feature started behaving differently since the last update.

Let say slot 3 is currently playing.
"Memory -> Load (tempo) -> [1] -> Load" won't change anything. I managed to load a different preset after a full power cycle but again, I need to investigate more and I don't really know what happened (and to date I can still reproduce this behavior). Also, pressing "compose" isn't doing anything.

Anyone else has observed this? Perhaps I simply missed something?
Shoot us a note through our web contact form so we can troubleshoot please. Contact WMD

Thanks!

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Wed May 06, 2020 12:39 pm

akrenaut wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:38 am
Is there a way to have one of four Voltera sequences play at 1/2 speed? Essentially if the drums and all other parts were at 128bpm, but I want one of my sequences to play back at 64bpm.
Tracks in Metron always advance at the same rate. But what you can do is expand the voltera track so that it has the feeling of playing at half speed. Because Metron/Voltera have up to 256 steps per pattern, you shouldn't have issues doing this unless you write crazy long patterns.

hold DUP + turn Voltera track to copy the track, then press nudge/clear to contract or expand the track.

indigogogo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by indigogogo » Thu May 07, 2020 2:09 am

How does Axxent Interact with gate lengths and bursts? Or, does it ignore them and only send triggers? Can Axxent send bursts when the Axxentuated trigger is a burst? Can it send longer gates as defined by the gate length that is Axxent-Ed?

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Thu May 07, 2020 4:36 pm

indigogogo wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:09 am
How does Axxent Interact with gate lengths and bursts? Or, does it ignore them and only send triggers? Can Axxent send bursts when the Axxentuated trigger is a burst? Can it send longer gates as defined by the gate length that is Axxent-Ed?
Axxent sends a gate that spans the entire step. It will hold high if gates longer than one step exist in Metron. Axxent fires just slightly before Metron to ensure that Accents are caught by the connected hardware.

We're working on the manual that will have full detail, but that's the gist.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu May 07, 2020 4:49 pm

Does Axxent work with Erica Synth’s 909 inspired drum modules (not the Pico modules)?

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Thu May 07, 2020 8:03 pm

kwaidan wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:49 pm
Does Axxent work with Erica Synth’s 909 inspired drum modules (not the Pico modules)?
It should. The Axxent level is 10V, and is set before the trigger comes out of the Metron (by ~100 microseconds) , so there is no reason that it should not work with Erica, or with anything else. But we have not verified with their modules directly.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”