WMD Metron sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: WMD Metron sequencer

Post by kwaidan » Thu May 07, 2020 8:36 pm

WMDevices wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:03 pm
kwaidan wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:49 pm
Does Axxent work with Erica Synth’s 909 inspired drum modules (not the Pico modules)?
It should. The Axxent level is 10V, and is set before the trigger comes out of the Metron (by ~100 microseconds) , so there is no reason that it should not work with Erica, or with anything else. But we have not verified with their modules directly.
Thanks. For some reason, the Erica accent actually mutes the sound when triggered unless I mix a constant voltage with it. Then, the accent works.

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Thu May 07, 2020 11:33 pm

kwaidan wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:36 pm
WMDevices wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:03 pm
kwaidan wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:49 pm
Does Axxent work with Erica Synth’s 909 inspired drum modules (not the Pico modules)?
It should. The Axxent level is 10V, and is set before the trigger comes out of the Metron (by ~100 microseconds) , so there is no reason that it should not work with Erica, or with anything else. But we have not verified with their modules directly.
Thanks. For some reason, the Erica accent actually mutes the sound when triggered unless I mix a constant voltage with it. Then, the accent works.
Looks like the Erica Drum modules have the Accent input as a strike level, or VCA of sorts. The cymbals and maybe a few others have a sensitivity trimmer, that may help with the minimum level problem. But it looks to require some voltage greater than zero to get audio out.

So without mixing the Axxent with a static voltage, it won't work properly with the accent on the Erica drum modules.

You could experiment with Voltera controlling the accent, it runs 0-5V or -5 to +V, so it would probably get you part of the way there, but you'd need external gain or offset to get 0-10V out of Voltera to hit the full range of the Erica.

Or to use Metron/Axxent, you'd need to mix the Axxent signal with a static voltage to get it to function.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Fri May 08, 2020 2:12 pm

Really appreciate WMD being active on the forum and having an open ear to user requests. A couple more requests to add to the list:

The ability to toggle between a "compose" and "performance" mode. Compose mode would be the way the Metron currently works. Performance mode would be geared toward visualization and quick navigation, with the assumption that you aren't interested in editing steps while performing. In performance mode you don't need to click a part twice to queue it to play next, just once. In performance mode the grid display follows the current step, showing you the page number you are on and the steps of that page (currently how grid behaves when 'record' is enabled). Lastly, even though the grid is displaying the pattern currently playing, the function of the grid buttons are that of the FX page. So fills, repeats, etc are immediately accessible. Maybe you could have a button combo involving the FX page button to initiate the performance mode so as to connect the user with the state of the grid buttons, ie hold 'compose' + press 'Fill FX' enters performance mode. Press 'compose' to exit performance mode back into compose mode.

And then general feature request:

-Ability to CV-in control jumping to specific variation, like 1v A, 2v B, 3v C, etc. If you wanted to take it a step further, with the same CV in channel, divide up the voltage range to be able to trigger an exact part + variation. For example, the first 10 parts in the memory page can be targeted between 0 to 5v. So if I wanted to jump to part 2, variation B, I'd send .7 volts to CV in.

Again, thanks for listening. Love my metron + voltera, axxent, double performance mixers, chimera, fracture, and crucible.

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Sat May 09, 2020 11:06 am

Can we make the variation changes beat syncable? so that a variation change will happen at the end of the pattern?

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Sat May 09, 2020 1:05 pm

theotteryears wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:06 am
Can we make the variation changes beat syncable? so that a variation change will happen at the end of the pattern?
This is the normal operation. Click the variation you want twice to transition at the end of the current variation.

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Sun May 10, 2020 11:39 am

Thanks. Are the mutes beatsyncable too?

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Mon May 11, 2020 10:21 am

theotteryears wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:39 am
Thanks. Are the mutes beatsyncable too?
Mute buttons are immediate. You can set up "Mute Scenes" so that you can do multiple channels simultaneously with a single button combo.

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Mon May 11, 2020 10:25 am

my request is an option for reset out.
Manual Only!!!!
as far as know, metron sends reset way too often, like when changing variations, sometimes you don't want that, but you still want to reset your other sequencers before starting a recording for example.... so manual only reset, sending reset ONLY when you press the reset button, would be good for me.

Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Joey P. » Tue May 12, 2020 2:42 pm

Anyone successfully controlling Metron scenes on the Select bus?

What MIDI does Metron respond to as a Select bus slave? I'm trying to get it to respond to an ES Select Bus Breakout. I have Select bus direction to "in" and have tried sending bank and program changes on channel 1, but no go.

I can use it as master and the EX breakout does receive program changes on MIDI channel 1. Just can't get it to work as slave.

Thanks,

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Tue May 12, 2020 4:56 pm

Joey P. wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:42 pm
Anyone successfully controlling Metron scenes on the Select bus?

What MIDI does Metron respond to as a Select bus slave? I'm trying to get it to respond to an ES Select Bus Breakout. I have Select bus direction to "in" and have tried sending bank and program changes on channel 1, but no go.

I can use it as master and the EX breakout does receive program changes on MIDI channel 1. Just can't get it to work as slave.

Thanks,
We've not verified Metron with the ES Select Bus Breakout. But it should respond. We tested extensively with Rene and Voltage Block. Metron will respond to channel 0 (The lowest channel).

It looks for Program Change on Channel 0 (Midi Message 0xC0), followed by the program number, 0-63

You have to make sure that Metron is indeed set to Slave. There are three settings, Master, Slave and Off.

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Sun May 17, 2020 2:15 pm

Question for Metron users - are you using it as the master clock (+adding clock dividers/multipliers) or are you using as slave (e.g. with a PNW)?
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun May 17, 2020 2:38 pm

I’ve been using it as a slave.

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Sun May 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Slave from PNW

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Sun May 17, 2020 4:38 pm

second_breakfast wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:34 pm
Slave from PNW
Thanks - loved your latest video with the Sinfonion patch!

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Sun May 17, 2020 6:45 pm

second_breakfast wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:34 pm
Slave from PNW
Same here

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Sun May 17, 2020 6:46 pm

OK, looks like I'm adding a PNW to the shopping list too :)

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Sun May 17, 2020 7:53 pm

It's mainly slave from my Squarp Pyramid, but then I'm routing the "Clock Out" from the Metron to my tempi an PNW.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Sun May 17, 2020 8:14 pm

mkasthe wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:15 pm
Question for Metron users - are you using it as the master clock (+adding clock dividers/multipliers) or are you using as slave (e.g. with a PNW)?
I don't workout so for me it's a master. The usual configuration has tracks 1-8 going to three different types of switches, three clock dividers, and a multiplier before hitting various percussion modules. Tracks 9-16 are for envelopes, LPGs, filters, and weird resets. Eventually I want to get an Axxent to double and triple up variations to send to those switches.

Cpaf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cpaf » Mon May 18, 2020 10:51 am

So what is the chance that a model with a different LED color could be available. Like light orange (Monome style) or a soothing blue/grenn or something. I really like the Metron but that massive amount of RED lights makes me irritated when looking at it :s
Maybe it's just me... :)

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Hey all, here is a video showing how to use S.BUS to send program changes from Metron to the Malekko Voltage Block.

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Fri May 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Cpaf wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:51 am
So what is the chance that a model with a different LED color could be available. Like light orange (Monome style) or a soothing blue/grenn or something. I really like the Metron but that massive amount of RED lights makes me irritated when looking at it :s
Maybe it's just me... :)
Very low chance of this happening. The parts are hard to source and expensive. We have to use what we've got.

You can lower the brightness of the LEDs in the Global Menu and that might help.

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Sat May 30, 2020 3:45 am

WaveRider wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:25 am
Manual Only!!!!
as far as know, metron sends reset way too often, like when changing variations, sometimes you don't want that, but you still want to reset your other sequencers before starting a recording for example.... so manual only reset, sending reset ONLY when you press the reset button, would be good for me.
Plus one!

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sat May 30, 2020 3:58 am

WaveRider wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:25 am
Manual Only!!!!
I put a manual switch next to my Metron. With some deterministically evolving seqs like Tuesday you want a reset only once in a while.

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 am

is it possible to use SBUS to send program changes to a voltage block and a SSM at the same time if I have both?

cloudswim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cloudswim » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:48 am

Hi does anyone know if the Metron output long gates like the Tiptop Circadian Rhythm ? and edit gate length easily like the the CR?

I see it only has 25, 50 75 adn 100% gate length steps.

Thanks

Return to “Eurorack Modules”