WMD Metron sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Re: WMD Metron sequencer

Post by mkasthe » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:36 am

By the way, your video on Vimeo doesn't load so I cannot see the exact setup you have
Since you mention a Voltera (assuming you're using it to pass pitch CV), why don't you set up the note to change only when you have a trigger?
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

Liradigital
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Liradigital » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:37 am

Thanks for your answer. You surely are right. I am missing something.
I have many steps with voltage because I am using random as well as recording voltera on the fly.
I will post later the explanation.
Thanks

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:24 am

Anybody using Metron with trigger to MIDI converters? I was thinking of using a VPME Trig31 or a Ladik 12 channel converter. Any other suggestions? The feature set on the Metron beats any MIDI drum sequencer hands down. Maybe an idea for a future expansion from WMD.

cafesinleche
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cafesinleche » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:26 pm

Would love at least a way to sync in a midi clock. Got a 1u module coming but would be cool just to have a trs to connect to.

Also wish that you could “play” the user scale. Have the quantizer be on the voltage output instead of having to change each note for key changes.

Really really wonderful sequencer tho

cafesinleche
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cafesinleche » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:34 pm

honeysmack wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:22 am
Couple of questions if I may:

1. Anyone had experience clocking Metron via MIDI clock from Intellijel's uMIDI, or would you go uMIDI -> PAMs -> Metron?

2. As a rough idea how do people work out how many Voltera's they need to accompany the Metron?

I haven't bought one as yet, very close: wonder if the Metron/Voltera combo will replace my Varigate8+/Voltage Block and/or my Beatstep Pro (I've asked this a long time ago, but wanted to see how people are going now). I'm still keeping my Varigate 4+ and Metropolis, but might ditch the Beatstep Pro?

I make Acid Techno (bangers) 909+303, so my modular rig is focused on percussion/drum modules that compliments the Roland x0x boxes.

thanks for reading
This easily replaced my Beatstep pro and added way more flexibility. Form factor is obviously smaller but it’s leaps and bounds better. I’ve also had VB and V8 and again this just implements all the features better and with easier operation.

Have not looked back.

honeysmack
Common Wiggler

Post by honeysmack » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:53 pm

cafesinleche wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:34 pm

This easily replaced my Beatstep pro and added way more flexibility. Form factor is obviously smaller but it’s leaps and bounds better. I’ve also had VB and V8 and again this just implements all the features better and with easier operation.

Have not looked back.
Awesome, thanks. Yeah - I went ahead and bought one with 2x volteras and a time warp.. look forward to it. I like the simplicity of the manual too, hope its intuitive when I get the unit in my hands!!!

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 pm

honeysmack wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:53 pm
hope its intuitive when I get the unit in my hands!!!
I’ve had a more than a few moments where I thought “it would be cool if I held this button and it di....oh, it does.”
The whole thing just makes sense.
FS: Euro blowout 35-40% off, ZPO, Mutable, NE, Prophet 6
viewtopic.php?p=3062675#p3062675

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:47 pm

I was practicing today with Metron/Voltera and recorded this snippet because I thought it made a pretty strong case for why Voltera is a big deal:

This doesn't sound that simple, but it’s just a rudimentary beat sequence of BIA and Fracture with Metron and one Voltera. Metron has a basic, endlessly repeating 2-bar (32 step) sequence. The Voltera is modifying HARM on the BIA, and SURFACE, PITCH and REVERB on the Fracture. That is it. No effects or other modules. Some of the variation that is heard I presume is the natural behavior of Fracture (TAIL and PUNCH settings), otherwise I cannot explain them.

Toward the end, I start pulling the cables out of Voltera until all you’re left with is the BIA and Fracture being triggered without any CV modulation. It’s not subtle, and that’s the difference Voltera makes.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:24 pm

Sounds great! Voltera IS a big deal. I actually just took a break right now from my own Metron beat making...
I have 3 of them now, and an Axxent. I think I’m good right there- not that I’m not tempted to want even more, but it gets hard to keep track of what’s doing what.

honeysmack
Common Wiggler

Post by honeysmack » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:39 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:47 pm
I was practicing today with Metron/Voltera and recorded this snippet because I thought it made a pretty strong case for why Voltera is a big deal:
awesome sounds great -- waiting for my Metron and Volteras to arrive!

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:52 pm

I'm finding more and more use cases for Axxent as I go. Last one was to sequence the way the Hold / Reverse parameters on a 4ms DLD are turned on and off.

As I mentioned in a comment earlier, if and when the gate length on Axxent could be adjusted to be shorter, you will get pretty much a no-frills 16-channel trigger sequencer for free :)

rustyjaw
Common Wiggler

Post by rustyjaw » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:49 pm

I bit the bullet and got a Metron. I was a little intimidated by the price, but as usual (not always, but often) in Eurorack, you get what you pay for. This this is amazing. Actually totally worth the price for how intuitively and flawlessly it performs, and the power it puts into such a usable interface. Anyway, looking forward to learning the more in-depth features and likely adding some of the expanders.
Synth Enthusiast | Abandonment Photographer

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Popped in to say how much I’m loving it. My beats are better than ever! I’d been using a combo of algorithmic (Euclidean, Branches) and preset (Grids, Zularic) but with Metron plus Volteras and Axxent, I feel like I’m at a whole nother level. Sure, I need to program the beats, but now that seems easy.

Only thing that makes me sad is that tracks can’t have different clock divisions. I know, you’ve addressed that, and I accept that was a design decision, which makes perfect sense- it could get confusing if tracks were going at separate speeds.
But a guy can wish.....

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Zymos wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:37 pm
Popped in to say how much I’m loving it. My beats are better than ever! I’d been using a combo of algorithmic (Euclidean, Branches) and preset (Grids, Zularic) but with Metron plus Volteras and Axxent, I feel like I’m at a whole nother level. Sure, I need to program the beats, but now that seems easy.

Only thing that makes me sad is that tracks can’t have different clock divisions. I know, you’ve addressed that, and I accept that was a design decision, which makes perfect sense- it could get confusing if tracks were going at separate speeds.
But a guy can wish.....
The great thing is you can also keep some of those modules (Euclidean, Zularic, etc.) and bring them in using the CV inputs on Metron and combining with some of the tracks using the OR / AND functions

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:46 pm

Yeah, unless you had to remove them for space reasons, or to afford the WMD ones.

But those logic functions! Haven’t even got that far after a few weeks, lots more to explore.

I’m definitely keeping Knight’s Gallup and Branches though, at least. And PNW isn’t going anywhere.

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:51 pm

oh, the Shakmat KG will provide a lot of good stuff

I keep re-watching all the series of video demos and try to repeat the same stuff Alex does.
Had a lot of fun with the one to implement "super microtiming" by expanding the tracks and multiplying the clock in - super easy to do with PNW too!

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:42 pm

Zymos wrote:

But a guy can wish.....
You can expand and contract the tracks, which is effectively the same thing as different clock speeds, but from a different frame of view!
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:36 am

Zymos wrote:
Popped in to say how much I’m loving it. My beats are better than ever! I’d been using a combo of algorithmic (Euclidean, Branches) and preset (Grids, Zularic) but with Metron plus Volteras and Axxent...
I’m still using PNW, Grids and Zularic as well, and I’ve had a lot of fun resetting them with Metron. And because Zularic is so straightforward with its clocking (it’s not trying to work out a tempo, it’s just a counter), I’m using another Metron track to paint irregular clocks for it. Opened up a new world of playability for me.
FS: Euro blowout 35-40% off, ZPO, Mutable, NE, Prophet 6
viewtopic.php?p=3062675#p3062675

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:10 pm

WMDevices wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:42 pm
Zymos wrote:

But a guy can wish.....
You can expand and contract the tracks, which is effectively the same thing as different clock speeds, but from a different frame of view!
That's not true. Each track follows the same clock-- what you're changing is their reset point. Not the same.

What we're talking about it is Polymetric vs Polyrhythmic. Polymetric = same clock different time signatures, Polyrhythmic = tracks have different clock sources and rates.

polyshaft
Learning to Wiggle

Post by polyshaft » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:47 am

It would be great if Axxent could use trigger mode and random. :roll:

castano
Common Wiggler

Post by castano » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:36 pm

For some reason I can’t get my metron to load an empty slot
I press memory select an empty slot that is blinking then press Load twice
and it should change to that slot
but mine just stays in the slot I had selected before
I can change to any slot that has saved information on it
not sure what I’m doing wrong

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 pm

castano wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:36 pm
For some reason I can’t get my metron to load an empty slot
I press memory select an empty slot that is blinking then press Load twice
and it should change to that slot
but mine just stays in the slot I had selected before
I can change to any slot that has saved information on it
not sure what I’m doing wrong
You can't load an empty slot, it's empty, without data (its a file system thing). You can save to a new slot, and then hold Clear and tap each variation, and that will give you a fully blank memory to save into that slot. Thanks! -WM
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

castano
Common Wiggler

Post by castano » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!
Sounds good!
I’ll approach it that way
I thought I saw Alex
in the tutorial videos do it :)

castano
Common Wiggler

Post by castano » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:01 am

Does anyone know if you can mute voltera and axxent?
I really like using fill fx (muting individual tracks)
was wondering if you can do the same with the expansion modules

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:29 am

Any possibility of a MIDI expander for the Metron? This is a far too powerful trigger and drum sequencer to limit to just Eurorack :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”