New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

izmond
Common Wiggler

Post by izmond » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 am

I'm having a problem with the s&h mode. When I am utilizing this mode to transpose my sequence with a second sequence (usually coming from an ornament and crime), the rene sequence is transposed a step later than what I am expecting. When I use the same two sequences and the cv add mode, I don't have this problem and the rene sequence is transposed at the proper step. Has anyone else experienced this?

mbthey
Common Wiggler

Pendulum setting?

Post by mbthey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Does Rene v2 not have a pendulum setting? I can't locate any mention of it in it's manual.

montroserecording
Learning to Wiggle

Post by montroserecording » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:17 pm

as far as i know it does not, but i haven't found myself wanting without it.

i do have both rene's in a rack though...

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Pendulum setting?

Post by luketeaford » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 pm

mbthey wrote:Does Rene v2 not have a pendulum setting? I can't locate any mention of it in it's manual.
You program it with direction input.

Clock division for pendulum is 2N where N is the number of steps.

If you want a 5 step pendulum, patch a / 10 clock into direction input.

Patch a pendulum that advances a step after each cycle, use a 2N - 1 division.

If you want an 8 step pendulum, patch a / 15 clock into direction input.

mbthey
Common Wiggler

Post by mbthey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:36 am

ok thanks.

I initially went for patching into DIR and it got weird and wasn't behaving as I expected, so I was hoping there was something internal like the v1 Rene apparently had. Will have to approach it again.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:27 pm

damase wrote:
damase wrote:
ratchet wrote:
damase wrote:trying to connect the reset pulse from uMidi to Rene, using the reset feature on FUN page so that when i start my DAW it resets rene(just x channel) to the first step... id say about %50 of the time it seems to miss the first trig and be a step behind, so have to start/stop my daw several times to get it syncd up

dont know if this is a bug or what. anyone else have this issue?

Edit: its actually only happening when i have a pulse in both the MOD and CLK input at the same time for that very first step, sometimes its reads the first clock pulse, sometimes it doesnt, sometimes it glitches (appears to trill between the first two steps)...
Did you get this sorted? I have the same issue. Although I actually think the (my) Rene is a step ahead of the beat each time. It seems to treat the reset as the downbeat and then advances to step two on the clock. Or something like that. Either way it always seems to start on step two and continues that way when I have reset on and patched into xmod together with the usual clock.

I find a very slight delay to the reset via an envelope works but this is far from convenient.
still have the issue here. glad someone else has confirmed now. i havent put a support ticket in or anything but i guess i should. does it only happen when you send a clock at the same time as the reset? thats when mine seems to glitch

i guess mine is happening the same way you said, if the reset is not supposed to be the downbeat... either way you think of it, its inconsistent, so about a 50/50 chance when you hit play that it will be on the incorrect step
figured id follow this up with make noise’s reply to me in case anyone else is having the issue:
We built the Reset process in René to be as basic as possible: it will reset as soon as it receives a rising edge at the Mod input of whatever channel is being reset. Where the behavior likely originates is in the serial nature of MIDI— rather than processing the Clock and Reset pulses in parallel, MIDI produces them in an order, resulting in a slight delay and this delay may be on the edge of short enough for René to interpret them as distinct events some of the time.

One workaround would be to manually reset René before pressing Play (and removing the patch from XMOD). Any of René's channels can be reset by tapping the Reset pad on the FUN page.
this answer makes sense to me, so now onward to the source (midi timing :help: )
Thank you for posting the response. I'm having an issue with Rene2 missing the first note when clocked/reset by a Varigate 8+. I'm using one VG channel as the X clock to set the phrasing/rests, and another to pulse into X Mod every 32 steps as a reset. Works fine once it is moving, but starting is horribly inconsistent.

makenoise
Ultra Wiggler

Post by makenoise » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:39 pm

New video shows some extended composition/playing technique via the Z Axis:

[video][/video]

St0rMl0rD
Common Wiggler

Post by St0rMl0rD » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:37 am

I'm thinking whether I should sell my V1 and go for V2...Is it worth an extra 250 bucks?

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:59 am

i do miss the logic functions on the V1

but you can do far more on the V2

the touch sensitiviy improvement is worth the extra alone!

DeepSeaDriver
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DeepSeaDriver » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 am

Can you use this similarly to the Z8000? Where I can be looking at just one bank of physical knobs, and changing a value affects all 3 pages? With just the clock differing between them.

Montgomery Word
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Montgomery Word » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:21 am

I was a long time Rene v1 user, and I can easily say this one is worth it. Took me a little bit to figure it out, and I still don’t get the states/mesh part exactly, but I do get it enuff now to realize it’s power. The best part is 3 independent sequencers with lots of memory. I don’t know. Rene has always been the best euro sequencer for me.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:44 am

Still in two minds about V2.

I have a V1, my only problem is the touchplate, which some days can be frustrating.

V2 does not suffer from this problem, but from what I understand (please correct me if mistaken) I cannot hold an address down and program notes like I can on the V1 and there are no logic functions on the V2.

Also the overly complex Z/mesh/whatever programming is definitely not my cup of tea.
I see Rene V1s go for 270€ and no one's buying them either, so the extra cash to reach 539€ is quite a lot to spend in order to get a touchplate that works properly and loose the stuff I like from V1.

Maybe I'll just wait for V3...then the V2 will be cheap :omg:

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:22 am

nectarios wrote:from what I understand (please correct me if mistaken) I cannot hold an address down and program notes like I can on the V1 and there are no logic functions on the V2.

Also the overly complex Z/mesh/whatever programming is definitely not my cup of tea.
You can hold an address using the latch page (hit the x or y control to switch between latch/menu)

It's true there are no logic fonctions but there are plenty of other functions which are extremely powerful. I'm starting to use ADD or S&H to transpose on the fly and it's super easy to use. In fact you could use the functions MOD.CLK or MOD.RUNSTP to perform basic logic operations.

The c axis also acts as a logic operation based on x and y

The state menu is indeed a bit complex to learn but that's quite on par with Make Noise modules complexity. I don't find René 1 was any easier to learn personally. Of course René 2 is deeper so it takes more time to learn it

e: oh and if you do have a tempi and connect it to the select bus, it's a whole new module to play with. I always disliked the way you set tempo and select states in Tempi. Now when integrated with rené, the select knob becomes tempo, and the saving/recall of states is done through rené. So much easier

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:07 am

New video is a remake of the old favorite, "René as Non-Linear Quantizer" from 2014, transplanted to the current version of René. Enjoy!!

[video][/video]

The original is here:

[video][/video]

:hobbes:

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:33 am

Thinking of getting this as my first eurorack sequencer. I currently use digitakt with cv.ocd for sequencing. But I want to also have a non-typical sequencer that I can mess around with. Is the Rene 2 fun to use?

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:39 am

lordymosh wrote:Thinking of getting this as my first eurorack sequencer. I currently use digitakt with cv.ocd for sequencing. But I want to also have a non-typical sequencer that I can mess around with. Is the Rene 2 fun to use?
The Rene 2 is very fun to use, and I recommend it for what you described. I sold mine because I was needing something more flexible and deliberate, and use a Beatstep Pro for sequencing now. Totally different approach.

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DDJ » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:47 am

lordymosh wrote:Thinking of getting this as my first eurorack sequencer. I currently use digitakt with cv.ocd for sequencing. But I want to also have a non-typical sequencer that I can mess around with. Is the Rene 2 fun to use?

It is so so fun. It is the most immediate and inspiring module I’ve added since I started three years or so ago.

rosten
Common Wiggler

Post by rosten » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Agree with the above: Rene2 is really fun to use and is a nice match with the digitakt cv.ocd. There are lots of cv/gate ins on the rene so you can use all the trigger/gates that the digi-cv.ocd combo provides to modify/reset/select things on the Rene2. You can make nice sh-101 type step-sequence imporvisation/variations by advancing through Rene's sequences using a track from the Digitakt.

A nice thing about the Rene is that it's very hands-on and immediate to start with but you can then pretty easily build into deep and complex sequences/song patterns using the z-mod and cv-in features.

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:08 pm

rosten wrote:Agree with the above: Rene2 is really fun to use and is a nice match with the digitakt cv.ocd. There are lots of cv/gate ins on the rene so you can use all the trigger/gates that the digi-cv.ocd combo provides to modify/reset/select things on the Rene2. You can make nice sh-101 type step-sequence imporvisation/variations by advancing through Rene's sequences using a track from the Digitakt.

A nice thing about the Rene is that it's very hands-on and immediate to start with but you can then pretty easily build into deep and complex sequences/song patterns using the z-mod and cv-in features.
I wasn't even thinking about using them together but sounds like I could experiment for hours. Ordered with an Erica Synths Dual FX :bananaguitar:

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:50 pm

just got mines in, barely spent any time learning her and it's already a blast.

and yesssss. Erica Dual FX is GOOD.

that PITCH SHIFTER.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:33 am

How's the new René for colorblind people? How color-dependent is the UI?

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:15 am

Loving the Rene so far.

I used it yesterday with my Digitakt, sending clock to Rene via CV.OCD.

Is there anyway of controlling the start/stop of the Rene with the CV.OCD?

Currently when I press play/stop on my Digitakt sequence it does nothing to the Rene sequence.

ayruos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ayruos » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:53 am

lordymosh wrote:Loving the Rene so far.

I used it yesterday with my Digitakt, sending clock to Rene via CV.OCD.

Is there anyway of controlling the start/stop of the Rene with the CV.OCD?

Currently when I press play/stop on my Digitakt sequence it does nothing to the Rene sequence.
On the function page of Rene you can set it up to stop or reset and it's dependent on the Mod input of the respective channels. You should be able to take the start/stop gate from the CV.OCD and patch them in there. See page 18 of the manual (isn't it great that I print out the manuals and keep them handy?) FUN.MOD.RUNSTP

musicweasel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by musicweasel » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Is there a way to simply play the touch grid? So that each pad sends a note and gate?

thetaflux
Common Wiggler

Post by thetaflux » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Yes, that's how latch mode functions.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”