New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

rosten
Common Wiggler

Post by rosten » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Wait, that's not how latch mode functions anymore, right?

edit: I guess in a way it IS how latch mode functions now. If you don't have the channel clocked it will output a gate and a pitch at the same time. It's not that easy to play though.

I think the workaround I've seen (which is kind of labor intensive) is to set up a series of z-states, each with a different note selected (and I think the fun-reset turned on). And then you can trigger those in the same way that old Rene latch mode worked.
Last edited by rosten on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:29 pm

joskery wrote:How's the new René for colorblind people? How color-dependent is the UI?
Not having it in front of me, I would say that the color serves more as a convenience rather than a necessity.

X channel is red, Y is green and Z is Orange, but you still get an indication of what channel you are in on the top row. Likewise, one level deeper, Red channel is the settings for Mesh programming, Green is setting the active states, and Orange is more global menu functionality. Yet again, you still have an indication of what page you are in by a pulsing led from the top row.

Providing one can perceive the difference in luminosity (if a button is lit on not and if a button is pulsing or not), then I reaffirm that colors are a convenience only.

There is one view where you can see the locations of all 3 channels moving along the grid, and that would indeed benefit from color perception, but besides that, I can't really think of anything that would hinder accessibility.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:24 am

BaloErets wrote:
joskery wrote:How's the new René for colorblind people? How color-dependent is the UI?
There is one view where you can see the locations of all 3 channels moving along the grid, and that would indeed benefit from color perception, but besides that, I can't really think of anything that would hinder accessibility.
You'd also have to be able to distinguish between green/orange lights on the state select page. If you watch theMake Noise official Rene videos it might help to see if you can distinguish the colors enough while the programming is demonstrated.

ayruos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ayruos » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:06 pm

rosten wrote:Wait, that's not how latch mode functions anymore, right?

edit: I guess in a way it IS how latch mode functions now. If you don't have the channel clocked it will output a gate and a pitch at the same time. It's not that easy to play though.

I think the workaround I've seen (which is kind of labor intensive) is to set up a series of z-states, each with a different note selected (and I think the fun-reset turned on). And then you can trigger those in the same way that old Rene latch mode worked.
Yes, the latch mode IS different to the previous play-a-touch-pad-as-you-please approach and it takes some getting used to. I hated it in the beginning when I switched from the old Rene to this, but now I've been getting quite fond of it! A lot of things can be done by latching, then re-programming the gate/access/functions while the latch is active, then remove the latch and suddenly there's a new variation of the full sequence playing... and then you can reset to last saved through the function page to go back to original sequence - real good way to add in improvisation, imo!

mauritsmusic
1-Post Wiggler

question

Post by mauritsmusic » Sat May 04, 2019 10:43 am

Hi everyone,

how is it possible to do a sample and hold routine with the new Rene? I just want that the melody only continue when a gate/trigger gets fired... (if you have a long decay of a note, you always here the next pitches fading out). I know its a noob question but I'm not able to do it.... maybe u can help me! Thank you!!!

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: question

Post by BaloErets » Sat May 04, 2019 11:15 am

mauritsmusic wrote:Hi everyone,

how is it possible to do a sample and hold routine with the new Rene? I just want that the melody only continue when a gate/trigger gets fired... (if you have a long decay of a note, you always here the next pitches fading out). I know its a noob question but I'm not able to do it.... maybe u can help me! Thank you!!!
It would help a lot if you gave a bit of info for your patch, like what Envelope/Function Generator are you using? Do you have Rene set to send out Gates or Triggers?

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Re: question

Post by ggillon » Sat May 04, 2019 11:56 am

mauritsmusic wrote:Hi everyone,

To mute the CV track between gates you need to use the Access mode and sleep function.

If you have the same pattern in Gate and Access, it will behave the way you wanted.

The other easier way is to send the gates to the clock of René. That way René moves between notes only when you want. You can even send the X gate to the Y clock

SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits » Tue May 28, 2019 2:35 am

luketeaford wrote:
BaloErets wrote:
You'd also have to be able to distinguish between green/orange lights on the state select page.
Being colourblind myself I find it isn't too big an issue with René V2. But the state select is one of the few views that is indeed harder, I can just barely see the difference between the orange and green there. It would be much clearer if the current selected state location would be "breathing" like on some of the other pages. Or red instead of orange.

setzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by setzer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:22 pm

Hello guys,

I'm having a serious conversation problem. As stated many times in this thread, the unquantized cv output is 4v (4.28v actually according to my voltage meter)

I'm trying to modular Cv Z on the E352 which is a -5/+5

What would be your tools to convert a 0-4v range into a -5/+5 10 volt range ?

I find this stuff so ridiculous :( I seem to run out of patience fast and creativity gets drained when I find it hard to do such trivial things.

Why doesn't this CV output reach 5v with quantization off ? makes no sense.

And for arguments sake, lets say it did reach 5v... you still have to multiply it by 2 and lose half the resolution of the CV right ?

Coming from reaktor here, where I could define precise ranges, really thinking I should go back into software lol

Any help appreciated. Here is my rack FWIW https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/869455

atimbral
Common Wiggler

Post by atimbral » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:10 pm

setzer wrote:What would be your tools to convert a 0-4v range into a -5/+5 10 volt range ?
What you need is a Scale/Offset module with gain. I really like the Frap Tools 321 for this. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/frap-tools-321- 3 units in 6hp, 2x gain, mixing, pads, etc; and cheap!

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:03 pm

atimbral wrote:
setzer wrote:What would be your tools to convert a 0-4v range into a -5/+5 10 volt range ?
What you need is a Scale/Offset module with gain. I really like the Frap Tools 321 for this. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/frap-tools-321- 3 units in 6hp, 2x gain, mixing, pads, etc; and cheap!
You'd also need a quantizer after that I'm betting... if you want your 10 octave sequence quantized...

setzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by setzer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:44 pm

atimbral wrote: What you need is a Scale/Offset module with gain. I really like the Frap Tools 321 for this. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/frap-tools-321- 3 units in 6hp, 2x gain, mixing, pads, etc; and cheap!
Hey thanks for the heads up on this module, I may actually get exactly this. I know its gonna be useful in probably any complex patch I make anyways. Appreciate it !
luketeaford wrote: You'd also need a quantizer after that I'm betting... if you want your 10 octave sequence quantized...
I should be ok with just the frap tools actually, I haven't really needed utility modules for voltage pitch, at least not yet. I'll cross that bridge when I get there haha

setzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by setzer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:58 pm

atimbral wrote:
Wait, can't MI Blinds do this (which I already have in my rack) ? I feel like it should be able to, yet it just seems like it lacks a way to 2x multiply the incoming voltage ??

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:47 am

setzer wrote: Why doesn't this CV output reach 5v with quantization off ? makes no sense.
I've been wondering that too and emailed Make Noise about this a while ago.
Apparently it can't be changed with a firmware update, but they advised a couple of modules

1. a precision adder (A-185-2),
2. amplifier module ((A-183-3) for unquantized CV),
3. dedicated offset module (WMD Volt)
4. or algorithm A1 of the Disting (precision adder) to transpose the CV

I see you have a Disting in your rack, should do the job.

setzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by setzer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:28 pm

mother misty wrote:
setzer wrote: Why doesn't this CV output reach 5v with quantization off ? makes no sense.
I've been wondering that too and emailed Make Noise about this a while ago.
Apparently it can't be changed with a firmware update, but they advised a couple of modules

1. a precision adder (A-185-2),
2. amplifier module ((A-183-3) for unquantized CV),
3. dedicated offset module (WMD Volt)
4. or algorithm A1 of the Disting (precision adder) to transpose the CV

I see you have a Disting in your rack, should do the job.
Yeah the disting can do it but I believe the algorithm needed is A2, not A1, which leads me to my next question...

Aren't the A-185 and WMD Volt and disting algo A1 (and other precision adders etc) NOT the job for this ?

Example: Rene's output only goes to 4v at max cv, so you "precision add" 1v so it reaches 5v, but now the minimum voltage will be 1v, even if rene is outputting 0v (min cv output) ?

you need to add gain/multiply the voltage to do it right, yeah ? Thats one thing the frap tools has...... up to 2x multiple the voltage...

If I'm wrong here, let me know...

setzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by setzer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:36 pm

To be fair, with the frap tools I could multiply 4v to 8v, but even then I come up short.. to bring 0v-4v to -5v/+5v I actually have to multiply voltage by 2.25x and then offset by -5v, which seems like such a ridiculous equation lol

If I had known what was needed to convert rene's cv output for modulation duties I maaaay have bought a different module, right now I am way more interested in that aspect than using the cv out for pitch

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:00 pm

setzer wrote:
atimbral wrote:
Wait, can't MI Blinds do this (which I already have in my rack) ? I feel like it should be able to, yet it just seems like it lacks a way to 2x multiply the incoming voltage ??
MI Blinds can probably do it (2x and offset). Have you tried summing 2 channels so that you 2x the incoming voltage?

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 pm

still wondering why there are different voltage ranges on modules in eurorack.. why not have a standard like 0-5, 0-8 or 0-10 when everyone is using the same format....

:confused:

edit: firmware update is impossible as stated above.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 pm

BrokenBo wrote:still wondering why there are different voltage ranges on modules in eurorack.. why not have a standard like 0-5, 0-8 or 0-10 when everyone is using the same format....

:confused:

edit: firmware update is impossible as stated above.
Personally I would never want to live in a Eurorack world where all sequencers conformed to 0-5v or all envelopes were 0-8v. I will totally agree that sometimes it's a PITA to remember what modules spit out what voltages, but that is part of the reason I got an oscilloscope. I personally like the fact that there are choices in voltage ranges in modules as it allows different versions of the same thing to take on different duties.

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:17 pm

well I used rené V1 for many years, I quite enjoy it, sometimes got tired of it but always came back and it is a great sequencer... love all the logic and gates I know all the functions very well, but still get amazed by it.

I am wondering about the v2, read a lot in this thread, not sure if I would like it, I enjoy less complicated stuff I guess, maybe it is not what I would feel in operation.... ...anyway I know v1 so well I don't like having to re-learn another rené! I can't even sit down thru a demo of v2 on youtube :)

...but I enjoyed v1 so much I should love v2 right? ...or maybe I am over it now.... I think I prefer 1 knob per note feel, v1 has that.

franckdw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by franckdw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:55 am

musicweasel wrote:Is there a way to simply play the touch grid? So that each pad sends a note and gate?
I just opened another topic on the same question. The best I have been able to do is to use the X or Y latch mode without X or Y clock input but it is not perfect (it does not work if I use the first touch button: first line, first column). It works with the others though.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:02 pm

WaveRider wrote:well I used rené V1 for many years, I quite enjoy it, sometimes got tired of it but always came back and it is a great sequencer... love all the logic and gates I know all the functions very well, but still get amazed by it.

I am wondering about the v2, read a lot in this thread, not sure if I would like it, I enjoy less complicated stuff I guess, maybe it is not what I would feel in operation.... ...anyway I know v1 so well I don't like having to re-learn another rené! I can't even sit down thru a demo of v2 on youtube :)

...but I enjoyed v1 so much I should love v2 right? ...or maybe I am over it now.... I think I prefer 1 knob per note feel, v1 has that.
i tried v2 for a while, and just decided it wasnt for me recently. The whole 3D sequencing thing and Z axis ect... its all just too heady for me i guess. This is a unique way to think, but it became its own thing within my bigger instrument and a bit of a competing thought process. It served to intimidate me rather than inspire me. This, together with some omissions from the design eating away at me(like no logic anymore to separate the clocks X, Y from the C channel movements), i ended up using it more as a glorified linear 2channel sequencer in snake mode. Having no way to simultaneously program the channels also became too much a hassle for me

I think overall i had more fun with v1 for the reasons you said, immediacy. the whole “programming is playing” paradigm for v2 says it all to a real degree of truth, whether its a good or bad thing for you

phats
Common Wiggler

Post by phats » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:53 pm

With the updated touch sensing on Rene mk2, I am wondering if there are any plans to update the touch plates on Pressure Points? Or is it less of an issue for PP?

toxoplasma_gondii
Common Wiggler

Post by toxoplasma_gondii » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:36 am

phats wrote:With the updated touch sensing on Rene mk2, I am wondering if there are any plans to update the touch plates on Pressure Points? Or is it less of an issue for PP?
Though I never had a problem when I owned a PP, I don't think it's any less of an issue. Either way, I think a PP mk2 (presumably with updated touchplates) is an almost certainty. When compared to Make Noise's recent digital modules such as Rene mk2, Tempi, and Morphagene, with their various modes and multi-function controls, it starts to look pretty long in tooth. It is getting harder and harder to justify such a large expenditure of rack space (44 hp for 2 PP+Brains) for a 3-track 8-step sequencer/8-key touchplate. The Intellijel Tetrapad can already do far more than 2 PP, in half the space, and for less money. And once the Tête expander is released, it will be augmented with a vastly more powerful sequencer than Brains. I'm honestly surprised Make Noise has waited this long to update it.

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:38 pm

I’m considering buying a Rene mk2. How important is having a rotating clock divider/multiplier like Tempi for getting gated and ratcheting effects, and for creating evolving sequences?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”