New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1768
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Post by luketeaford » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:19 am

Xtheunknown wrote:I’m considering buying a Rene mk2. How important is having a rotating clock divider/multiplier like Tempi for getting gated and ratcheting effects, and for creating evolving sequences?
You can patch ratcheting a different way-- I prefer to do it by using y cv to modulate Maths both input.

You can use the x channel gate outputs and/or use x mod input for some different effects.

Evolving sequences: many ways to patch that.

Tempi plus Rene 2 is an excellent combo, but its not the only way to use Rene of course! :tu:

User avatar
mother misty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 am
Location: Belgium

Post by mother misty » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:01 am

luketeaford wrote:
Xtheunknown wrote:I’m considering buying a Rene mk2. How important is having a rotating clock divider/multiplier like Tempi for getting gated and ratcheting effects, and for creating evolving sequences?
You can patch ratcheting a different way-- I prefer to do it by using y cv to modulate Maths both input.

You can use the x channel gate outputs and/or use x mod input for some different effects.

Evolving sequences: many ways to patch that.

Tempi plus Rene 2 is an excellent combo, but its not the only way to use Rene of course! :tu:
Hi Luke,

I would love to hear how you patch this with the y cv and maths, can you give some more details?
I've been looking for ways to do this myself, the best solution so far i've found is feeding the gate out to a 2-step sequential switch (MI Stages) and do the ratcheting that way.

@ Xtheunknown: having a clock divider is very usefull for Réne, channel X & Y have 2 clock-inputs both, lots of fun tricks you can do with that extra input (reset, change direction, ...) great for evolving stuff or to break away from the linearity.

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1768
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Post by luketeaford » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:23 am

mother misty wrote:I would love to hear how you patch this with the y cv and maths, can you give some more details?
I've been looking for ways to do this myself, the best solution so far i've found is feeding the gate out to a 2-step sequential switch (MI Stages) and do the ratcheting that way.
Here's a demo of it, but basically if you have an envelope that cycles and you retrigger it on the beat, you'll get a variety of effects ranging from envelope modulation (which adds a bit of groove) to ratcheting to AM buzz effects.



I like this technique better than perfectly even ratcheting because it has a more "alive" feel to it to me and if you modulate decay independently such as with another LFO or the pitch sequence, or manually you'll find lots of expressive potential.

User avatar
mother misty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 am
Location: Belgium

Post by mother misty » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:22 am

luketeaford wrote: Here's a demo of it, but basically if you have an envelope that cycles and you retrigger it on the beat, you'll get a variety of effects ranging from envelope modulation (which adds a bit of groove) to ratcheting to AM buzz effects.



I like this technique better than perfectly even ratcheting because it has a more "alive" feel to it to me and if you modulate decay independently such as with another LFO or the pitch sequence, or manually you'll find lots of expressive potential.
Lots of expressive potentional indeed, and really flexible. Thanks for sharing! :tu:

User avatar
ranzen
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:31 pm
Location: Berlin

Copy pattern from X to Y

Post by ranzen » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:54 am

Hello,

I'm trying to find any instructions on how to simply copy a pattern from X to Y, so both channels play the identical sequence. Any hints are appreciated.
Thanks!

User avatar
mother misty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Copy pattern from X to Y

Post by mother misty » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:13 am

ranzen wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to find any instructions on how to simply copy a pattern from X to Y, so both channels play the identical sequence. Any hints are appreciated.
Thanks!
With the 'SCAN' option you can copy knob values from one page to another.
1. make your pattern on channel X by turning the knobs
2. go to channel Y
3. go to FUN page press SCAN.
Your knob values of channel X will be written to channel Y that way.

User avatar
ayruos
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:28 am
Location: Kolkata, India

Re: Copy pattern from X to Y

Post by ayruos » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:49 am

mother misty wrote:
ranzen wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to find any instructions on how to simply copy a pattern from X to Y, so both channels play the identical sequence. Any hints are appreciated.
Thanks!
With the 'SCAN' option you can copy knob values from one page to another.
1. make your pattern on channel X by turning the knobs
2. go to channel Y
3. go to FUN page press SCAN.
Your knob values of channel X will be written to channel Y that way.
This is only valid however as long as the knob positions are in place. For older sequences, another trick I've started employing recently is multing the X-CV out into the Y-CV input (with my Y sequence consisting entirely of zero volt sequences) and then employing different sample and holds and/or quantiser settings to make variants of the X sequence. (This is of course assuming that you don't want an exact copy as that you could always do by a simply multing the X-CV out into another oscillator). The X-Gate out or the X-Clock could also feed into the Y-Mod input over and above the above settings with a different set of gate programming on the Y-channel.

User avatar
ranzen
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:31 pm
Location: Berlin

Post by ranzen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:18 am

@mother misty, @ayruos thanks, that's both really helpful!

User avatar
bradclay
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:32 pm
Location: Decatur GA
Contact:

Post by bradclay » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:17 pm

codetocontra wrote:
Earthdark wrote:
codetocontra wrote:Now they need to release the expansion lid for the new case. Fresh out of HP for this one but pretty hyped anyway.
Damn, is this a thing? I’d totally be down for that!
They haven't announced anything, but c'mon, easy money right?
E Z $$$
I have an 7u expansion lid and second cv bus. Ordered it from Elite Modular who makes the original shared system case.
What’s worse than raining cats and dogs?

Hailing taxi cabs.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by zerodivide » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 am

Now that Rene 2 has been out for over a year, I'm curious how you guys are using it. Any clever tricks or advanced ideas you want to share? Ive been experimenting with sending Ornament and Crime in Turing Mode to to Rene with its built in Sample and Hold to give a more static melody more movement every x number of steps

User avatar
monolithicfungus
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:45 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Post by monolithicfungus » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Has anyone had issues with controlling the gates out of the X-G output?

I’ve got a clock going into the x clock in a very basic patch. all the gates on the gate page are turned off , but it continues to send gates on every note. Am I doing something wrong or is this a software glitch?

User avatar
ggillon
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:21 am
Location: Belgium

Post by ggillon » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:30 pm

monolithicfungus wrote:Has anyone had issues with controlling the gates out of the X-G output?

I’ve got a clock going into the x clock in a very basic patch. all the gates on the gate page are turned off , but it continues to send gates on every note. Am I doing something wrong or is this a software glitch?
Check the latch page. If you are using it gates are always sent.

e: to be more precise, all the lights should be off on the latch page.

User avatar
monolithicfungus
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:45 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Post by monolithicfungus » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:37 pm

ggillon wrote:
monolithicfungus wrote:Has anyone had issues with controlling the gates out of the X-G output?

I’ve got a clock going into the x clock in a very basic patch. all the gates on the gate page are turned off , but it continues to send gates on every note. Am I doing something wrong or is this a software glitch?
Check the latch page. If you are using it gates are always sent.

e: to be more precise, all the lights should be off on the latch page.
Thank you @ggillon !

What is the purpose of the latch page? Have you used that functionality?

User avatar
ggillon
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:21 am
Location: Belgium

Post by ggillon » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:49 pm

monolithicfungus wrote:
ggillon wrote:
monolithicfungus wrote:Has anyone had issues with controlling the gates out of the X-G output?

I’ve got a clock going into the x clock in a very basic patch. all the gates on the gate page are turned off , but it continues to send gates on every note. Am I doing something wrong or is this a software glitch?
Check the latch page. If you are using it gates are always sent.

e: to be more precise, all the lights should be off on the latch page.
Thank you @ggillon !

What is the purpose of the latch page? Have you used that functionality?

Latch page is to "play" the sequencer like an instrument. It's to introduce change in your sequences to avoid monotony.

You select steps and the sequencer will only loop through them, like an arpegiator. When you want to go back to the sequence you turn all latched steps off.

User avatar
j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:02 pm
Location: blono, il

Post by j_dowe » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:28 pm

monolithicfungus wrote: What is the purpose of the latch page? Have you used that functionality?
here's a nice short video on the latch page (in a playlist w/ a lot of other videos from Make Noise on the René).

[video][/video]

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6820
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:39 am

I just picked up a Rene 2 from Digilog in Taipei today. I've always been a critic of the Make Noise aesthetic but I have to say the module looks great! Way better in the flesh. Looking foward to putting in the rack.

User avatar
monolithicfungus
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:45 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Post by monolithicfungus » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:21 pm

j_dowe wrote:
monolithicfungus wrote: What is the purpose of the latch page? Have you used that functionality?
here's a nice short video on the latch page (in a playlist w/ a lot of other videos from Make Noise on the René).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLevXO- ... tB&index=9[/video]
Thanks for both your responses. The latch feature has quickly become my favorite method of switching up sequences to add variety and spice. I love how tactile this module is. I had the Rene v1 for years and while I liked it, was a bit tired of licking my fingers to get a response. Rene v2 really fixed that and it’s such a pleasure to play with this module.

Thanks for helping me understand how it works! :bananaguitar:

lymn23
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Post by lymn23 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:45 am

Curious if something does not work as expected. I'm trying to copy a state and paste it to a different state. On the state select page, the state I have selected is orange, but when I go to the m-paste page, the selected state is dark, and shows that there is no state selected. It is my understanding that on the m-paste page the selected state should be orange, and pasteable to whichever other state that has also been selected. Please let me know if I'm missing something here, or if there is an issue that needs to be investigated. Thanks!

User avatar
mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Post by mosorensen » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:37 am

I don't have my Rene right here, but as I remember it, the selection of states in "state select" and in "m-paste" are separate, and you have to select the enabled and active states separately on these two pages.

In "state select" you enable the states that Rene switches between using the Z inputs, and the active one is marked (orange?).

In "m-paste" you enable the states that you will m-paste into, and the one you are m-pasting from is marked.

So, the short answer is that you just have to enable / select the states again after you enter the "m-paste" page.

izmond
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:18 am
Location: OHIO

Re: New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Post by izmond » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:03 am

If you aren’t seeing seeing the active state illuminated in orange or red on the m-paste page, it could mean that you are not on the correct m-paste page. Hold the m-paste pad (x) it should take you up a level and if, once you’ve done that you see a see a state glowing red and a state glowing orange, that means you aren’t in the right page and you should (I’m trying to remember here) select the orange one so as the red one is no longer lit, then hit (x) again and you should see what you’re expecting. Does that make sense? It happens to me all the time. Easy fix that’s hard to explain.

lymn23
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Post by lymn23 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:24 pm

Hey, thanks for the replies! Was finally able to try these this weekend and I indeed was not on the right page. Appreciate the help!

User avatar
mikmanner
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:18 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Re: New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Post by mikmanner » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 am

Can you use voltage to input notes into Rene?

benofbrown
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:32 am

Re: New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Post by benofbrown » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:52 am

Depends what you mean by "input". The main channels can be set so the incoming CV is added to that on the current step. It also has a sample and hold mode that does the same but uses the value of the input at the time a gate or trigger is received on the mod input.

User avatar
huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Re: New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Post by huffnPuff » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:09 am

Is there something I should pay attention to before deciding to get a Rene?

Any gotchas? un-ironed bugs? performance issues?

benofbrown
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:32 am

Re: New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Post by benofbrown » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:33 am

I've had mine since August 2019. Not noticed any bugs or performance issues.

Only thing close to a gotcha is it is a very complicated module. I still feel like I'm only scratching the surface of it. Even so it's still very intuitive to program sequences.

I also have Tempi, which it works really well with using the select bus.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”