New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Re: New 2018 MakeNoise Rene

Post by Nutritional Zero » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:57 pm

René is rock solid.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:19 pm

Cheers.

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:27 pm

There are some issue's / bugs if you dive into the more deeper functions of René.
I've experienced similar problems like you can see in the video below.
Judging from the comments, MakeNoise is aware of this.
(don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to bash René here, it's by far my favourite sequencer)

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:32 pm

I would say it is more "deep" than "complicated." It is very easy to get started with the basics, there is no "gotcha", and it only takes a few minutes to get a single channel with 16 steps going. But then there is a whole lot more to explore when needed.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:06 pm

mosorensen wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:32 pm
I would say it is more "deep" than "complicated." It is very easy to get started with the basics, there is no "gotcha", and it only takes a few minutes to get a single channel with 16 steps going. But then there is a whole lot more to explore when needed.
Took the words right out of my mouth. It's complexity is due only to it's depths and it's depths is strongly rewarded when/if you decide to dig that deep :sb:

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:51 pm

mother misty wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:27 pm
There are some issue's / bugs if you dive into the more deeper functions of René.
(don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to bash René here, it's by far my favourite sequencer)

Regarding your latch problem, I think I can shed some light on or at least lend some consistency to the behaviour...

I think what is happening is the latched step for which you are experiencing the pitch being stuck is in fact the step where the current channel’s play cursor is stopped at...so when you’re editing your voltages in your video with the clock stopped, the step for which your workflow gets all fucked up is the step where Rene’s play cursor is currently. To test, with the clock stopped,activate location on the fun page and use the trim pot to go an arbitrary step (lets say 5). Now turn off location on the fun page and go to latch mode. Select voltages 1-4 and tune accordingly. Now when you select voltage 5, this is where the voltage will get stuck.

Can’t speak to the correctness of this (A first guess would be this behaviour aids in starting the sequencer from the last deactivated latched step when the clock is running) but at least this uncovers it as not being altogether random. Two workarounds:

1. Same workflow with clock stopped but instead of using latch mode, use location on the fun page and the trim pot to go through tuning the voltages.

2. Still with clock stopped continue to use latch mode, but make sure to reset the channel to 1 (Now voltage 1 will indeed get stuck but at least you know exactly where the stuck voltage is)

Hope the makes sense and helps.
Last edited by VZvision on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:47 am

mother misty wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:27 pm

So if I'm understanding correctly the inconsistent behavior demonstrated in this video have to do with changing states while the sequencer is playing?

SarahB
Common Wiggler

Post by SarahB » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:34 am

Hi wigglers, does anyone know if it’s possible to initialise states in René 2? My René was bought second hand and is full of someone else’s states. I would like to make a completely clean slate to begin programming my own states. Thanks for any help with this!

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:39 am

SarahB wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:34 am
Hi wigglers, does anyone know if it’s possible to initialise states in René 2? My René was bought second hand and is full of someone else’s states. I would like to make a completely clean slate to begin programming my own states. Thanks for any help with this!
There may be an easier way but off the top of my head:

1. set up the initial state you want.

2. Go to state select and select the entire bank with your initial state you just set up active.

3. Go to the M-Paste page and select all states in the bank.

4. Hold the M-paste button (X-chan button) to paste the init state you set to all states in the bank.

5. Repeat 2-5 for other banks.

6. Go to global page and store.

SarahB
Common Wiggler

Post by SarahB » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:52 am

Great, thank you. That’s certainly easier than doing it one state at a time. Cheers!

pants on rhino
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pants on rhino » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:56 am

Howdy - having some issues with Rene, mostly around the cv mod functionality. If I set X channel cv mod to control snake pattern and patch Y channel cv out into x cv mod, sometimes (maybe 15%) when the X channel switches snake pattern it makes a little glitch sound as it changes twice very close together, which sounds bad for what I am trying to do.

Similar to the snake pattern glitch sound above, the Z channel shifting from external CV or self-patches also sometimes blips and changes twice.

Is there possibly and issue with my unit or is it just how rene works? It really hampers adding subtle variations to patterns by modding the snake pattern since it introduces a skipping/glitch sound sometimes when the snake changes or Z axis switches. Also...if I manually turn the CV knob to change the snake pattern a note fires every time the snake pattern changes...is there a way to only fire a note off on a trigger even if the snake pattern is changed by CV? Kinda annoying and limting...the glitchy hiccup sound is just enough to make me want to sell it if thats how its expected to work.

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:23 am

pants on rhino wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:56 am
Howdy - having some issues with Rene, mostly around the cv mod functionality. If I set X channel cv mod to control snake pattern and patch Y channel cv out into x cv mod, sometimes (maybe 15%) when the X channel switches snake pattern it makes a little glitch sound as it changes twice very close together, which sounds bad for what I am trying to do.

Similar to the snake pattern glitch sound above, the Z channel shifting from external CV or self-patches also sometimes blips and changes twice.

Is there possibly and issue with my unit or is it just how rene works? It really hampers adding subtle variations to patterns by modding the snake pattern since it introduces a skipping/glitch sound sometimes when the snake changes or Z axis switches. Also...if I manually turn the CV knob to change the snake pattern a note fires every time the snake pattern changes...is there a way to only fire a note off on a trigger even if the snake pattern is changed by CV? Kinda annoying and limting...the glitchy hiccup sound is just enough to make me want to sell it if thats how its expected to work.
I have never had this issue, but maybe I don't understand what you mean. Obviously, Rene 2 doesn't make any sound by itself, so the "glitch sound" you hear comes from your VCO/VCA/filter or whatever else you have after Rene. Could the issue be with the way you set up those modules rather than with Rene?

I have not noticed Rene triggering every time the snake pattern changes, but you say that you "turn the CV knob to change the snake pattern" and on Rene 2 you select snake pattern by pressing a button, so I don't really follow what you mean. I almost always generate the triggers for notes separately with another module and use Rene's triggers for other things (e.g., starting ratcheting or delay), and I have changed snake patterns many times and never noticed this issue.
Last edited by mosorensen on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

pants on rhino
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pants on rhino » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Ah yeah...its definitely rene. I can see the note light quickly change on the quantize page too. Lemme set up a quick patch and record a video to demonstrate...
Last edited by pants on rhino on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pants on rhino
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pants on rhino » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:52 am

Here's a video I just made to demonstrate the skipping behavior. Brain's a bit slow in this video - I'm still pre-coffee this morning. Thanks again for your help. I used a BIA here since it's a more self-contained voice than setting up an oscillator + env + vca but it happens regardless of what voice I use since the glitching ratchet sound is originating as extra gates from the rene itself.

https://cloudup.com/c74TjDCbVQl

The same kind of skipping happens if I CV control the Z axis instead of the snake pattern...but it's more involved to set up a demonstration of the behavior as the Z axis requires a touch more config & menu diving and it's a bit harder to follow what's going on.

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:58 pm

pants on rhino wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:52 am
Here's a video I just made to demonstrate the skipping behavior. Brain's a bit slow in this video - I'm still pre-coffee this morning. Thanks again for your help. I used a BIA here since it's a more self-contained voice than setting up an oscillator + env + vca but it happens regardless of what voice I use since the glitching ratchet sound is originating as extra gates from the rene itself.

The same kind of skipping happens if I CV control the Z axis instead of the snake pattern...but it's more involved to set up a demonstration of the behavior as the Z axis requires a touch more config & menu diving and it's a bit harder to follow what's going on.
I looked at the video (nice setup), and I am not sure what is going on. My guess is some kind of "race condition" where the Y-channel changes the snake-CV just when the X-channel receives a trigger. Sometimes the snake-change comes first, sometimes the trigger to the X-channel comes first, and sometimes Rene gets confused.

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:50 am

huffnPuff wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:47 am
So if I'm understanding correctly the inconsistent behavior demonstrated in this video have to do with changing states while the sequencer is playing?
Changing states works fine with me, the problem occurs when you change states AND have the reset function activated for that pattern.
If i deactivate the reset function it seems to work fine, but the workflow is kind of annoying :-(
(FYI: my reset signal is a copy of the change state signal, this might have to do with a slight jitter on the clock signal, but it's kind of hard to figure out what the problem is exactly here).
pants on rhino wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:52 am

I gave this a try (clocking channel X & Y from the same clock signal and let channel Y control channel X snake pattern or location).
Same things happens with me, it glitches all over the place :despair: :bang:

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:06 pm

Hello thread. Just wanted to check with other René mkII owner if this behavior is normal or not:

When I send a clock to Z-mod to switch between different states (for example 4 states to make a 64 steps sequence), turning the knobs on the fly to change the pitch is not working most of time. Sometimes it registers the change, but most times it doesn't. As soon as I unpatch Z-mod in, it works perfectly again.

Anyone else has this too?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:23 pm

ggillon wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:06 pm
Hello thread. Just wanted to check with other René mkII owner if this behavior is normal or not:

When I send a clock to Z-mod to switch between different states (for example 4 states to make a 64 steps sequence), turning the knobs on the fly to change the pitch is not working most of time. Sometimes it registers the change, but most times it doesn't. As soon as I unpatch Z-mod in, it works perfectly again.

It sounds like it depends on how you're using Global Z On. From the manual:
GBL.Z.ON: When set to be ON (Green), Z-MOD and Z-CV will be active and select States at all times. PGM pages can be edited even while
States are being sequenced/selected. LATCH pages are not per-State, so Latch playing can be used to play and alter a series of States in a
non-destructive fashion. When set to be OFF (button not lit), Z-MOD and Z-CV only work on the State Select Page.
Note: If you are advancing quickly through States using Z-MOD and/or Z-CV, and you have Z.ON enabled, it may be challenging to
program with precision. If you desire precise deliberate programming, disable Z.ON or manually advance through States (use a manual
gate from Pressure Points) while programming with Z.ON enabled.

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:24 pm

ggillon wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:06 pm

It sounds like it should work. Could it be that you turn the knob to update the pitch of a step, but then the state changes before Rene gets back to this step? In that case, you have updated the pitch for the step but on the previous state. When the state changes, all pitches are reset to their current values for the new state and you will not hear your updated pitch (until you get back to that state again).

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41 am

No I waited for a full states cycle and there was no recorded changes. Same if I mesh all the states.

It sounds like a bug because it works like 10% of the time. But I wondered if it just my René or normal behavior.

Also yes global z is on, that's the only way to program steps while cycling states. But that should prevent programming from being recorded 90% of the time.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:15 pm

ggillon wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41 am

Same if I mesh all the states.
Well one thing based on the above is that if you mesh all the states which you are cycling through, the changes you make at each state will be “meshed” with all the other mesh-activated states. So as you’re stepping with Z-on and editing, those edits are going to ALL the meshed states.... If you were already aware of that, no worries.

Another thought to diagnose the behaviour you’re seeing would be to perhaps try the following:

1. Make a simple 4 step sequence on one channel
2. Go to state select and select 2-3 states including the state you’re on.
3. Go to M-Paste page and M-paste the simple state you made to the 2-3 states you selected (Select them and hold the x channel button till the CV lights sparkle) (this will also ensure Mesh if OFF for all states you’re stepping through)
4. Step through the states and make some deliberate and simple changes without automation of Z or manually stepping through 2-3 states.

I’d say if the following is done and you’re still not seeing the changes per state, then something may be wrong...

Hope that helps.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:16 am

VZvision wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:15 pm
Well one thing based on the above is that if you mesh all the states which you are cycling through, the changes you make at each state will be “meshed” with all the other mesh-activated states. So as you’re stepping with Z-on and editing, those edits are going to ALL the meshed states.... If you were already aware of that, no worries.

Yes that was the idea, I meshed the 4 states to create a "base" melody and then introduce variation for each state. But even then, 4 out of 5 knobs wouldn't respond to pitch change IF Z-mod is plugged in. The moment I unplug it, it works fine. Since there's (to my knowledge) no René 2 firmware, and since this looks more like a software issue, I was wondering if it was a known bug.

VZvision wrote:
Another thought to diagnose the behaviour you’re seeing would be to perhaps try the following:

3. Go to M-Paste page and M-paste the simple state you made to the 2-3 states you selected (Select them and hold the x channel button till the CV lights sparkle) (this will also ensure Mesh if OFF for all states you’re stepping through)
4. Step through the states and make some deliberate and simple changes without automation of Z or manually stepping through 2-3 states.

I’d say if the following is done and you’re still not seeing the changes per state, then something may be wrong...

Yes that works fine since I'm not clocking Z-mod.

Oh well. It's only a very specific case. It's still annoying but I think I can live without until eventually a new firmware comes out.

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:54 am

VZvision wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:51 pm
Regarding your latch problem, I think I can shed some light on or at least lend some consistency to the behaviour...

I think what is happening is the latched step for which you are experiencing the pitch being stuck is in fact the step where the current channel’s play cursor is stopped at...so when you’re editing your voltages in your video with the clock stopped, the step for which your workflow gets all fucked up is the step where Rene’s play cursor is currently. To test, with the clock stopped,activate location on the fun page and use the trim pot to go an arbitrary step (lets say 5). Now turn off location on the fun page and go to latch mode. Select voltages 1-4 and tune accordingly. Now when you select voltage 5, this is where the voltage will get stuck.

Can’t speak to the correctness of this (A first guess would be this behaviour aids in starting the sequencer from the last deactivated latched step when the clock is running) but at least this uncovers it as not being altogether random. Two workarounds:

1. Same workflow with clock stopped but instead of using latch mode, use location on the fun page and the trim pot to go through tuning the voltages.

2. Still with clock stopped continue to use latch mode, but make sure to reset the channel to 1 (Now voltage 1 will indeed get stuck but at least you know exactly where the stuck voltage is)

Hope the makes sense and helps.
Thanks for your insight on this, much appreciated!
Fortunately I don't use René much this way, but I will certainly give it a try.

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Post by VZvision » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:32 pm

ggillon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:16 am
VZvision wrote:

Yes that was the idea, I meshed the 4 states to create a "base" melody and then introduce variation for each state. But even then, 4 out of 5 knobs wouldn't respond to pitch change IF Z-mod is plugged in. The moment I unplug it, it works fine. Since there's (to my knowledge) no René 2 firmware, and since this looks more like a software issue, I was wondering if it was a known bug.

VZvision wrote:

Yes that works fine since I'm not clocking Z-mod.

Oh well. It's only a very specific case. It's still annoying but I think I can live without until eventually a new firmware comes out.
So if you have Z-on and plug anything (even a manual gate or manual offset you can wiggle to fake a gate) into Z-Mod with no Mesh-enabled states, the CV knobs (at least some) stop responding as you manually step through states? That’s definitely a head scratcher.... :hmm:

hofmann25
Common Wiggler

Post by hofmann25 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:04 am

Hey all, been playing around with some polyrhythms on the René MKII.

FUN > Reset at start for X & Y.

X is playing any 16 step sequence
Y has notes programmed on the 2nd or 3rd step of every 4th step & access to the last 4 steps of the turned off.
Pattern/snake is in initial state.

The first time I tried this I had a nice simple polyrhythm going. Then every-time I've tried to start with this same programming the Y axis just plays the same pattern repeating. Access to the last 4 steps off has no effect on the pattern.

Any tips or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Return to “Eurorack Modules”