ACL Sinfonion

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mayyammay
Common Wiggler

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mayyammay » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi All -

I was wondering if you could help me out. Suddenly on channel two I can only select one button at a time rather than say ROOT, 3RD, and 5TH. I can't figure out why this is happening. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:49 pm

mayyammay wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:45 pm
Hi All -

I was wondering if you could help me out. Suddenly on channel two I can only select one button at a time rather than say ROOT, 3RD, and 5TH. I can't figure out why this is happening. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Do you have Channel 2 in "Single Note Mode"?
Check Menu -> Channel 2 Buttons

mayyammay
Common Wiggler

Post by mayyammay » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:54 pm

Catchthehare wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:49 pm
mayyammay wrote:
Hi All -

That was it! I looked at the Channel 2 menu settings several times but didn't go far enough in the menu. :doh: Thank you!

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:55 pm

mayyammay wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:54 pm
Catchthehare wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:49 pm
mayyammay wrote:
Hi All -

That was it! I looked at the Channel 2 menu settings several times but didn't go far enough in the menu. :doh: Thank you!
No problem! It's a handy feature if you want to "solo" by hand. :sb:

Mad_Rasputin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mad_Rasputin » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:38 am

Where can I find a sinfonion to buy? I’ve looked everywhere. I am going to cry if they are no longer available. This is something I’ve needed and dreamed about ever since I went modular. Help! Please?
:cloud: Life is good!

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: Yayyy!

:cloud: This is fun!

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: Yayyyy!

:omg: My anus.. is bleeding!

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: Yayyyyy!

Ohes
Common Wiggler

Post by Ohes » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:52 am

Hello Muff,

maybe it is a noob question but i can't really find an answer in the manual :

i'm doing a bassline riff on the arpeggiator, and i want the chords follow the notes of the bassline, for exemple if the arpeggiator hits a G, the chord section makes a G chord int the defined scale, is it possible (without programming on the chord sequencer)?
For the moment my bassline is runing, but the chord stay the same all the riff long...

Also, this is ultra noob but is the main transpose input is doing quantified transposing (quantified by the selected scale)? According to the manual it seem to be a yes but i would have your confirmation.

Thanks a lot :mrgreen:

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:38 pm

Here’s some information from Mathias that I‘d like to forward for those who are not on Discord.

Regarding a MIDI expander:
„Hey guys, plans for a MIDI expander for the Sinfonion are already in the drawer for quite some time. In fact there are two complete different concepts. One would work as <username> suggests: An extern gate would be combine with the pitch information of the various channels of the Sinfonion. Another idea is to allow the Sinfonion to actually quantize MIDI notes, i.e. read MIDI *input*. That would allow to add MIDI sequencers to a Sinfonion setup. But when and if actual expanders would be created is still open. In any case I would consult all your knowledge, experiance and needs for actually designing one 😉

Regarding firmware:
„For the next firmware there will probably be a screensaver. Which idle time would you propose before the screen goes blank? (or more likely shows some simple animation).

The firmware is upgradeable, but you either need a small dongle at the back, which ACL should produce but for some reasons I do not understand has not done it yet. Or an STM32 programmer. As soon as I create a new firmware we will find a solution...“

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:54 pm

wow, thats some great news. not sure i'd be interested in quantizing incoming midi as much as getting pitch/gate info to midi out.

but good news about the firmware, despite the technical hassles.

DanVanDal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DanVanDal » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:30 pm

I encourage pitch/gate to MIDI out :love:

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:48 pm

An expander as kinda of befaco vcmc would be perfect. Simple and effective.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:58 pm

I would happily utilize both types of midi expander.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:08 pm

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:38 pm
Here’s some information from Mathias that I‘d like to forward for those who are not on Discord.

.....The firmware is upgradeable, but you either need a small dongle at the back, which ACL should produce but for some reasons I do not understand has not done it yet. Or an STM32 programmer. As soon as I create a new firmware we will find a solution...“
Oh man been waiting/hoping for this!! Thanks for the update/news!

Ohes
Common Wiggler

Post by Ohes » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:49 am

Mad_Rasputin wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:38 am
Where can I find a sinfonion to buy? I’ve looked everywhere. I am going to cry if they are no longer available. This is something I’ve needed and dreamed about ever since I went modular. Help! Please?
Here for example : https://www.thomann.de/fr/acl_sinfonion.htm

@Mad_Rasputin

Ohes
Common Wiggler

Post by Ohes » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:50 am

Ohes wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:52 am
Hello Muff,

maybe it is a noob question but i can't really find an answer in the manual :

i'm doing a bassline riff on the arpeggiator, and i want the chords follow the notes of the bassline, for exemple if the arpeggiator hits a G, the chord section makes a G chord int the defined scale, is it possible (without programming on the chord sequencer)?
For the moment my bassline is runing, but the chord stay the same all the riff long...

Also, this is ultra noob but is the main transpose input is doing quantified transposing (quantified by the selected scale)? According to the manual it seem to be a yes but i would have your confirmation.

Thanks a lot :mrgreen:
Help :hail:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:03 am

Ohes wrote:
While it is possible to use the Arp to create a bassline, it’s important to understand that it’s an Arp, not a bass line sequencer. It generates clocked pitch patterns based on the current scale, it does not drive the current scale. You could experiment with feedback patching, but I haven’t thought through the possibilities there.

If you want the Sinfonion’s chord section to change, these are your possibilities:
- change the scale (CV)
- use CV or your fingers to change the chord section’s parameters
- use the Sinfonion’s chord sequencer
Ohes wrote:
The global transposition input (TRANS) is quantized. The point of the input is to make it very convenient to musically transpose your sequence. You can assign one of the CV inputs to provide unquantized transposition, though.

Ohes
Common Wiggler

Post by Ohes » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:59 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:03 am
Ohes wrote:
While it is possible to use the Arp to create a bassline, it’s important to understand that it’s an Arp, not a bass line sequencer. It generates clocked pitch patterns based on the current scale, it does not drive the current scale. You could experiment with feedback patching, but I haven’t thought through the possibilities there.

If you want the Sinfonion’s chord section to change, these are your possibilities:
- change the scale (CV)
- use CV or your fingers to change the chord section’s parameters
- use the Sinfonion’s chord sequencer
Ohes wrote:
The global transposition input (TRANS) is quantized. The point of the input is to make it very convenient to musically transpose your sequence. You can assign one of the CV inputs to provide unquantized transposition, though.

Thanks for your answer Mdoudoroff!

that sound super crazy that there is no way to make the chords follow root note in real time, on the arpeggiator or other channels, i personaly would see this so bad in an update of the module :eek:
thanks for the alternative tips, should be useful too ;)

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:30 pm

Hey Ohes,

I don’t have this module yet but I’ve read a lot of this thread and a lot of the manual. If you are referring to diatonic chord progressions within a single scale (which I think you are) then it seems the best way is to put the machine in either ‘major’ or ‘minor’ mode (whatever your chosen scale is) and assign one of the cv inputs to modulate degree. Then by feeding exact cv which corresponds to the 7 notes of your major or minor scale, the chord section will output the relevant diatonic chords. If you send cv which corresponds to one of the 5 notes not currently in your chosen scale then I believe you get other progressively more dischordant chords (relative to your scale) which nonetheless may be useful.

Any owner of the module please feel free to correct my post, this is just how I’ve interpreted it from what I’ve read and watched.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

Der Mann mit der Maschine
Common Wiggler

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:27 am

Hi Ohes, yes this could work. As the CV source you could directly patch the output of the arpeggiator - as long as your root note is C. Because then that would exactly match. If not you can use the DEGREE knob as an attenuator and carefully select the correct offset.

ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Post by ModusOp » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:04 am

My one firmware update wish is to have the option to choose between either
A) Having the quantized outputs follow the current key/scale that the song part is in, thereby changing pitches in between triggered notes, as it does now, or
B) Having the quantized outputs hold their pitch value until receiving a trigger or gate, to avoid pitches changing in the middle of a held note.
Yes, there might be some resulting dissonance, but I think it would be fun to experiment with and handy when using non-synced self-generating rhythms.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:08 am

ModusOp wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:04 am
B) Having the quantized outputs hold their pitch value until receiving a trigger or gate, to avoid pitches changing in the middle of a held note.
Yes, there might be some resulting dissonance, but I think it would be fun to experiment with and handy when using non-synced self-generating rhythms.
Good one!

ModusOp
Oneiric Automatist

Post by ModusOp » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:46 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:08 am
Good one!
Danke schoen!

StoneAgeOfTheFuture
Common Wiggler

Post by StoneAgeOfTheFuture » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:37 am

Hi all,
As mentioned on page 24 of the manual, if I want to control the Root via MIDI, through the ROOT input, I have to have the ROOT Knob set all the way to the left (normalled to C).

Problem: When I send MIDI in to change the root, the root note is only quantized for the duration of the note in my sequencer (1/64 for example). Then, it quickly reverts back to normalled C. So, if the gate of my voice is open longer than the length of the note, the pitch changes in the middle of the note. This is not ideal.

Desired Solution: I would like a Sample and Hold for the pitch of the voice in the sinfonion to maintain the last received note in the ROOT input until it receives a new note. Do I need a separate Sample and Hold module in order to maintain the received MIDI root note, or is there a setting in the Sinfonion that handles this? I cannot find one.
Thanks

Ohes
Common Wiggler

Post by Ohes » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:55 am

Carrousel wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:30 pm
Hey Ohes,

I don’t have this module yet but I’ve read a lot of this thread and a lot of the manual. If you are referring to diatonic chord progressions within a single scale (which I think you are) then it seems the best way is to put the machine in either ‘major’ or ‘minor’ mode (whatever your chosen scale is) and assign one of the cv inputs to modulate degree. Then by feeding exact cv which corresponds to the 7 notes of your major or minor scale, the chord section will output the relevant diatonic chords. If you send cv which corresponds to one of the 5 notes not currently in your chosen scale then I believe you get other progressively more dischordant chords (relative to your scale) which nonetheless may be useful.

Any owner of the module please feel free to correct my post, this is just how I’ve interpreted it from what I’ve read and watched.
Thanks a lot for this insight Carrousel, i was exactly talking about diatonic chord progressions on a single scale yes, and i think your idea might be a good solution,

i posted this question also on youtube and here is the Matthias answer which is pretty similar :
This is a somewhat unusual approach. But you can try the following: map DEGREE to one of the CV inputs (say CV 1). Then patch the output of the arpeggiator (also) to CV1. And then select the MODE Major and Minor (depending on your scale) and turn the DEGREE and ROOT knobs in a position where they correctly match your current bass note.
Many Thanks, i will try this soon :mrgreen:

rutabaga40
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rutabaga40 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:06 am

DanVanDal wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:30 pm
I encourage pitch/gate to MIDI out :love:
Me too...currently going through an Expert Sleepers ES6 into Logic with a CV-to-Midi plugin. Works, but is a little clunky.

dumbeat
Common Wiggler

Post by dumbeat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:20 pm

Would love to see the Sin following main CV in by playing the corresponding chord degree and always quantizing to the scale of choice, the way Hasrmonaig does. Its a total different game.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”