ACL Sinfonion

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
mvdirty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mvdirty » Mon May 25, 2020 11:10 pm

Have I perhaps set something incorrectly which I cannot detect, or does the “IN follows ROOT” function not behave as described in the manual, or at least not as I would expect it to:
While "IN follows ROOT" is active the input pitch is being shifted by the same musical interval as the distance of the current root from C (in non sequenced mode) or to the root note of the first chord in the song (sequenced mode).
I am in sequencer mode, on the first step of the first part of the song. I would expect a channel with “IN follows ROOT” enabled to not be shifted on this first step but it is, and seemingly by the distance of the root from C. It is as if it is applying the behavior for “non sequenced mode” while in “sequenced mode.” Has anyone else experienced/resolved this?

Addendum: For what it is worth, I have a transposition module (CalTrans) upstream of the Sinfonion to help with a variety of things, including ironing out wrinkles between sequencers like this. As such I have a decent-enough workflow solution and I’m really just looking to make sure that I am correctly interpreting the manual and have the Sinfonion set correctly.

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3679
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu May 28, 2020 2:06 pm

Sinfonion + Disting EX work fine together.


User avatar
mvdirty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mvdirty » Thu May 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Very nice. I’m still waiting on my Disting EX pre-order but am definitely looking forward to trying out the combination.

If I may, how did you patch up the Sinfonion to the Disting?

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3679
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu May 28, 2020 2:19 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:10 pm
If I may, how did you patch up the Sinfonion to the Disting?
Komplex CV out to Sinfonion Channel 2 IN; Channel 2 OUT out to EX pitch IN. Komplex gate out to EX gate IN. Press play on Komplex: piano sounds come out of the EX.

Not sure about sending an entire chord worth of pitches from the Sinfonion to the EX: the latter only has three pitch/gate pairs. Or maybe I’m overlooking something?
Last edited by mdoudoroff on Thu May 28, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mvdirty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mvdirty » Thu May 28, 2020 2:34 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:19 pm
mvdirty wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:10 pm
If I may, how did you patch up the Sinfonion to the Disting?
Komplex CV out to Sinfonion Channel 2 IN; Channel 2 OUT out to EX pitch IN. Komplex gate out to EX gate IN. Press play on Komplex: piano sounds come out of the EX.
Ahh, a simple enough patch. Here I was for some reason thinking that you might have patched up more than you did / I was hearing.

Thanks!

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3679
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu May 28, 2020 2:36 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:34 pm
mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:19 pm
mvdirty wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:10 pm
If I may, how did you patch up the Sinfonion to the Disting?
Komplex CV out to Sinfonion Channel 2 IN; Channel 2 OUT out to EX pitch IN. Komplex gate out to EX gate IN. Press play on Komplex: piano sounds come out of the EX.
Ahh, a simple enough patch. Here I was for some reason thinking that you might have patched up more than you did / I was hearing.

Thanks!
Effects!

User avatar
mkasthe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:35 pm
Location: New York City

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mkasthe » Thu May 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Did you multisample that piano?
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

User avatar
mvdirty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mvdirty » Thu May 28, 2020 2:49 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:36 pm
mvdirty wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:34 pm
Ahh, a simple enough patch. Here I was for some reason thinking that you might have patched up more than you did / I was hearing.

Thanks!
Effects!
Something I’m currently painfully short of, though I have a good few (including the lovely Magneto) on my list of upcoming acquisitions.

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3679
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu May 28, 2020 2:56 pm

mkasthe wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:49 pm
Did you multisample that piano?
No, that’s the Spitfire felt piano that comes on the EX’s SD card. Everybody is gonna be real sick of that piano in another month or two.

User avatar
mkasthe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:35 pm
Location: New York City

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mkasthe » Thu May 28, 2020 2:59 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:56 pm
mkasthe wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:49 pm
Did you multisample that piano?
No, that’s the Spitfire felt piano that comes on the EX’s SD card. Everybody is gonna be real sick of that piano in another month or two.
Oh that's right - I forgot about all the free samples included in the EX

Been debating on EX vs. Bitbox micro for sampling duty.
EX has the bonus of everything else it does
Bitbox Micro much more powerful sampler though
What if it's not an either / or question?
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

User avatar
mvdirty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mvdirty » Thu May 28, 2020 3:06 pm

mkasthe wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:59 pm
Been debating on EX vs. Bitbox micro for sampling duty.
EX has the bonus of everything else it does
Bitbox Micro much more powerful sampler though
What if it's not an either / or question?
Not to try to push anyone in any particular direction but I would personally be a lot more confident that Expert Sleepers is shipping a solid module and will support it well over time. 1010? Not so much.

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3679
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu May 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Oh, I dunno. The Bitbox is a pretty mature product at this point. It’s not the end-all and be-all of samplers, but it does a lot of useful things competently, and it has a real user interface—particularly the full sized Mk2.

The Disting’s strength is also its weakness. It does a lot of stuff, it does what it does well, and it does a few extraordinary things, it’s an amazing value on paper, but the Disting (any model) is what I call a “no fun” module. I need glasses to read the screen, its controls are overloaded, and it requires me to memorize an awful lot of stuff (or constantly refer to documentation). Right now, I doubt I’ll keep it. It’s kind of funny discussing the EX and the Sinfonion at the same time, since they couldn’t be further apart in design.

User avatar
mvdirty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by mvdirty » Thu May 28, 2020 4:24 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:31 pm
Oh, I dunno. The Bitbox is a pretty mature product at this point. It’s not the end-all and be-all of samplers, but it does a lot of useful things competently, and it has a real user interface—particularly the full sized Mk2.
I’m leery based on statements people have made about that product line being shipped with bugs and undersupported thereafter, with 1010 moving onto other products. Perhaps those claims are unfounded, perhaps not.
mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:31 pm
It’s kind of funny discussing the EX and the Sinfonion at the same time, since they couldn’t be further apart in design.
This is very true. The Sinfonion is deep, but not in the sense of menu diving :) and I love the immediacy I get from it. Aside from the odd thing I still need clarified, its behavior is generally unsurprising and in exactly the right way, and whenever I bump into limits they end up being mine, particularly while I refresh my music theory after leaving it dormant for decades (and, frankly, not developing it enough in the first place.)

FWIW, while I have a Disting EX coming I likely won’t be using its sampling except to have a bit of a play. The Disting is, to me, a multi-module to use in a pinch for a function I’m short on, or perhaps to explore the use of a type of function I don’t yet have. Any continued use of it in a given way just tells me what other module I need next or soon. For sampling: I’m Assimil8or-bound. :)

User avatar
Catchthehare
Common Wiggler
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:06 am
Location: London

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by Catchthehare » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:24 am

As an (ex) Harmonaig user I am deeply excited to be part of the group, tomorrow, I hope. Or Wednesday. But it's coming
Last edited by Catchthehare on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pekbro
Common Wiggler
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 am
Location: Maui

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by pekbro » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:37 pm

The Bitbox is pretty cool and worth it I think (probably)
but I would agree about the dev doing a poor job in the area of future proofing. Support for the old hardware
is good enough, but not going with better HW in the
first place is just bad design imo. (sry to any fans)

Still the BB is super handy, and it’s pretty fun to use the Sinfonion to drive the pitch of the new granular mode.
To name just one thing.

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by beepnsleep » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:42 pm

Catchthehare wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:24 am
As an (ex) Harmonaig used I am deeply excited to be part of the group, tomorrow, I hope. Or Wednesday. But it's coming
I'm really happy I made the same swap. I can do chord sequencing and pretty much any other quantisation simultaneously. I don't have a big enough system to use more than a couple sections at a time, but I never have to lose my place in patching to figure out how to put parts together

User avatar
Catchthehare
Common Wiggler
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:06 am
Location: London

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by Catchthehare » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:13 pm

beepnsleep wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:42 pm
Catchthehare wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:24 am
As an (ex) Harmonaig used I am deeply excited to be part of the group, tomorrow, I hope. Or Wednesday. But it's coming
I'm really happy I made the same swap. I can do chord sequencing and pretty much any other quantisation simultaneously. I don't have a big enough system to use more than a couple sections at a time, but I never have to lose my place in patching to figure out how to put parts together
That's great to hear. Harmonaig is superb for what it is, but I always hit a dead end with it with composition. I trust this module will be joy intensified :hyper:

User avatar
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1966
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Odyssey Island
Contact:

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by monads » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:58 pm

Dark Barn wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:16 am
I believe IME modules are updated with a PicKit 3 and MPlab IDE. Users who have those modules are at least familiar with how it works in that case.

Edit: I believe my ignorance is on display here and in fact a pickit doesn’t work for stm32
You got me excited then I read the edit note because I had a PicKit 3/familiar with MPlab IDE but sold all with a Stillson Hammer MkII. So any update on a STM32 programmer and procedure for the Sinfonion??? I would like to get my module updated.

User avatar
Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:24 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:46 pm

Trying to work out if there’s any way I can use the assignable CV to individually pitch CV control the 4 chord outputs?
If that even makes sense?

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by beepnsleep » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:32 pm

Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:46 pm
Trying to work out if there’s any way I can use the assignable CV to individually pitch CV control the 4 chord outputs?
If that even makes sense?
control them how?
you can CV the voicing

User avatar
Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:24 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:12 pm

beepnsleep wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:32 pm
Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:46 pm
Trying to work out if there’s any way I can use the assignable CV to individually pitch CV control the 4 chord outputs?
If that even makes sense?
control them how?
you can CV the voicing
I want to control each vco separately.

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by beepnsleep » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 pm

why not use any other channel?

User avatar
Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:24 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:35 am

beepnsleep wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 pm
why not use any other channel?
I use channel one for bass , channel two for lead .

I want to do fragmented chords with different clock divisions .

User avatar
Clumsy
A Can of Worms
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by Clumsy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:53 am

Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:35 am
beepnsleep wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 pm
why not use any other channel?
I use channel one for bass , channel two for lead .

I want to do fragmented chords with different clock divisions .
You can't control the chord voices with individual CVs but you might be able to achieve what you're after with a single carefully sequenced CV controlling the chord voicing. From section 10.9 of the manual: "This is especially powerful if being used with a sequencer since it allows you to create something similar to a four voiced melody".

User avatar
Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:24 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:06 am

Clumsy wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:53 am
Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:35 am
beepnsleep wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 pm
why not use any other channel?
I use channel one for bass , channel two for lead .

I want to do fragmented chords with different clock divisions .
You can't control the chord voices with individual CVs but you might be able to achieve what you're after with a single carefully sequenced CV controlling the chord voicing. From section 10.9 of the manual: "This is especially powerful if being used with a sequencer since it allows you to create something similar to a four voiced melody".

I’ll check that out cheers

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”