ACL Sinfonion

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Re: ACL Sinfonion

Post by Catchthehare » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:09 pm

2 days in, still haven't moved on from Chords, but this slew is legit. :hail:

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:45 pm

Catchthehare wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:09 pm
2 days in, still haven't moved on from Chords, but this slew is legit. :hail:

Very nice! Totally digging the tone and the vibe!
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:19 pm

I’ve enabled slew detection on some channels to good effect but haven’t really spent enough time with the other slew features. Thanks for the reminder/inspiration to do so!

cloudswim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cloudswim » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:14 am

The SINFONION is amazing...

would be real nice to have some editing capability for the sequencer...

1. STEPS - move and copy / paste steps within a PART

2. PARTS - duplicate parts

Would be lovely to have these functions, think its possible for a future update?! :hail:

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:59 am

cloudswim wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:14 am

Would be lovely to have these functions, think its possible for a future update?! :hail:
I totally agree! Great ideas.

cloudswim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cloudswim » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:02 am

Catchthehare wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:59 am
cloudswim wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:14 am

I totally agree! Great ideas.
Cheers!

Royalston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Royalston » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:09 am

I've just bought a sinfonion and Im a little lost...Ive watched the videos and read the manual - Can anyone advise me on how to just select a boring old C major scale and have CV control over which *diatonic* chord is playing.... actually - even just how to manual jump between chords from that key. Everything seems to be chromatic at the moment. I'd also love each part to follow the currently selected chord...and that chord be diatonic. Thanks!

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 am

Royalston wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:09 am
I've just bought a sinfonion and Im a little lost...Ive watched the videos and read the manual - Can anyone advise me on how to just select a boring old C major scale and have CV control over which *diatonic* chord is playing.... actually - even just how to manual jump between chords from that key. Everything seems to be chromatic at the moment. I'd also love each part to follow the currently selected chord...and that chord be diatonic. Thanks!
This may be your answer:
Dark Barn wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:16 pm
second_breakfast, I’ve been playing around all morning and finally figured out how to transpose the chord quantizer diatonically, for starters you must be in one of the final 6 modes (I think! I only tested this in major and minor) then you must have DEGREE knob fully CCW, and assign a CV input to modulate DEGREE. Then if you send v/oct to the assigned DEGREE CV input of voltages/notes equal to the intervals of the scale you’ve started in then you will diatonically transpose the chords in scale. It’s easiest to start with a C major scale and send major scale notes to the assigned DEGREE CV input to get started, if you send non scale intervals to the degree input you get non scale chords though, so some thought is required to stay in key especially in more esoteric scales.

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:53 am

Catchthehare wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 am
Royalston wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:09 am
This may be your answer:
Dark Barn wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:16 pm
second_breakfast, I’ve been playing around all morning and finally figured out how to transpose the chord quantizer diatonically, for starters you must be in one of the final 6 modes (I think! I only tested this in major and minor) then you must have DEGREE knob fully CCW, and assign a CV input to modulate DEGREE. Then if you send v/oct to the assigned DEGREE CV input of voltages/notes equal to the intervals of the scale you’ve started in then you will diatonically transpose the chords in scale. It’s easiest to start with a C major scale and send major scale notes to the assigned DEGREE CV input to get started, if you send non scale intervals to the degree input you get non scale chords though, so some thought is required to stay in key especially in more esoteric scales.
FWIW I just tried this out with a Keystep and works perfectly fine, very much like Harmonaig would work

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:58 am

do you actually have to be in one of the last 6 modes for it? I haven't tried in the earlier ones by pure coincidence

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:21 am

In the first two modes, to move diatonically through the chords you can just CV the chord voicing based on pages 56-58 of the manual - especially table on page 58.

So for example in the Chords mode in the scale of C Major if you want C major (1,3,5) you will feed 3.000V to a CV input set up to control the chord voicing via the menu, for E minor (3,5,7) you will feed 4.250V and so on

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:25 am

thanks, sounds like I need to do more RTFM. it's such a deep module

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:32 am

beepnsleep wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:25 am
thanks, sounds like I need to do more RTFM. it's such a deep module
Oh yeah - the RTFM is real with this module

The manual is extremely well thought, and honestly so far has covered nearly all of the questions I had.
Plus there has been a surge in interest around this module so a lot of people are experimenting with it a may be facing the same issues so I found a nice little helpful community of Sinfonionists :mrgreen:

Also in case you're not part of that already - in Colin Benders' Discord server there is a whole channel dedicated to the module, and the designer of the module hangs out there too sometimes: https://discord.gg/modularmayhem

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:03 pm

I'm still at the learning through trial and error stage. For me, RTFM comes when I have a bit more experience with a module so it sinks in better. I'll be doing a lot of manual labor soon

Thanks for the info! I deleted discord recently but if i redownload I'll be joining that server

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:17 pm

mkasthe wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:21 am
In the first two modes, to move diatonically through the chords you can just CV the chord voicing based on pages 56-58 of the manual - especially table on page 58.

So for example in the Chords mode in the scale of C Major if you want C major (1,3,5) you will feed 3.000V to a CV input set up to control the chord voicing via the menu, for E minor (3,5,7) you will feed 4.250V and so on
And of course you could set up one CV as a Voltmeter, mult it with a stackable to the other CV which is controlling Voicing and dial in with the Volts/Notes easily if you're referring to the table in the manual

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:26 pm

Catchthehare wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:17 pm
mkasthe wrote:

And of course you could set up one CV as a Voltmeter, mult it with a stackable to the other CV which is controlling Voicing and dial in with the Volts/Notes easily if you're referring to the table in the manual
The Voltmeter!! That's gotta be one of most clever functions of this module :sb:

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:31 pm

mkasthe wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:26 pm
Catchthehare wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:17 pm
mkasthe wrote:

The Voltmeter!! That's gotta be one of most clever functions of this module :sb:
It's so boss, I calibrated my whole system and realised I had so much out of whack. I can only imagine what goodies will come with a firmware update, not that it needs much at all to be fair.

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:27 pm

beepnsleep wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:03 pm
I'm still at the learning through trial and error stage. For me, RTFM comes when I have a bit more experience with a module so it sinks in better. I'll be doing a lot of manual labor soon
I suggest giving the manual at least a skim sooner rather than later. It is really quite readable as in-depth manuals go, and your brain will retain a sense of what was covered, even if not the details, such that later you can more quickly refer to it, solve a problem, and move on. Heck, skimming the manual is likely to give you a pile of new ideas to try!

Royalston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Royalston » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:22 pm

Thanks for the replies!
Not what I was hoping such a big 'music theory' module unfortunately.... Surely theres some kind of scale lock (Use only diatonic chords)... Seems like hitting diatonic chords when playing around with a random voltage source is going to be very tricky. hmmm :hmm: I'll go back to playing around with it.

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:47 pm

Royalston wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:22 pm
Thanks for the replies!
Not what I was hoping such a big 'music theory' module unfortunately.... Surely theres some kind of scale lock (Use only diatonic chords)... Seems like hitting diatonic chords when playing around with a random voltage source is going to be very tricky. hmmm :hmm: I'll go back to playing around with it.
If you want to do that you can use sequence mode without a clock. Add the chords you want to a sequence and patch your random source into a cv-in jack. In the menu set the cv in jack to “sequence step.”

Royalston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Royalston » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:01 am

second_breakfast wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:47 pm
Royalston wrote:
Thanks for the replies!
If you want to do that you can use sequence mode without a clock. Add the chords you want to a sequence and patch your random source into a cv-in jack. In the menu set the cv in jack to “sequence step.”
Perfect! Thanks :)

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:21 am

Royalston wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:01 am
second_breakfast wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:47 pm
Royalston wrote:
Thanks for the replies!
Perfect! Thanks :)
Alternatively, you could pre-quantize your random to the scale you want and then send the quantized random to cv-in using scales mode. This will keep you from triggering any of the extra jazzy chords that were thrown in with the diatonic chords in scales mode. Either burn one of your Sinfonion channels and set it to "not follow root" in the octaves menu or use a quantizer module you might have left over from before the dawn of the Sinfonion-era.

Royalston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Royalston » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:45 am

second_breakfast wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:21 am

Alternatively, you could pre-quantize your random to the scale you want and then send the quantized random to cv-in using scales mode. This will keep you from triggering any of the extra jazzy chords that were thrown in with the diatonic chords in scales mode. Either burn one of your Sinfonion channels and set it to "not follow root" in the octaves menu or use a quantizer module you might have left over from before the dawn of the Sinfonion-era.
Thanks! Thats a great idea...

I've been trying these methods and they work - sequencer mode is good. But now need to ask another question:

Unless I'm wrong (quite possible) -it seems like the Simphonion doesn't really have a concept of 'key' - every chord has it's own accompanying scale which changes the 'key' of the Simphonion - and all the quantisers - at each new chord... aka 'Jazz' :confused:

So when the chord section is playing a c major chord the quantisers will lock to CDEFGABC, but then if the next chord in my sequence is G major (to keep it straight forward) we then have a new 'key' GABCDEF#G - that all the quantisers also lock to. To actually have a traditional 'scale lock' and have the quantisers stay 'in key' would I have to have a sequence of "C Ionion - G mixolydian"?

I hope this makes sense....

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:55 am

mvdirty wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:27 pm
beepnsleep wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:03 pm
I suggest giving the manual at least a skim sooner rather than later. It is really quite readable as in-depth manuals go, and your brain will retain a sense of what was covered, even if not the details, such that later you can more quickly refer to it, solve a problem, and move on. Heck, skimming the manual is likely to give you a pile of new ideas to try!
I gave it a skim when I first got the module, I just havent given it an in depth read yet

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:44 am

Royalston wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:45 am
second_breakfast wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:21 am

Thanks! Thats a great idea...

I've been trying these methods and they work - sequencer mode is good. But now need to ask another question:

Unless I'm wrong (quite possible) -it seems like the Simphonion doesn't really have a concept of 'key' - every chord has it's own accompanying scale which changes the 'key' of the Simphonion - and all the quantisers - at each new chord... aka 'Jazz' :confused:

So when the chord section is playing a c major chord the quantisers will lock to CDEFGABC, but then if the next chord in my sequence is G major (to keep it straight forward) we then have a new 'key' GABCDEF#G - that all the quantisers also lock to. To actually have a traditional 'scale lock' and have the quantisers stay 'in key' would I have to have a sequence of "C Ionion - G mixolydian"?

I hope this makes sense....
If you need to keep the same notes in the scale (and effectively do the C Ionian > G Mixolydian trick) you can go in Chords mode, select C major and just dial in the specific chords selecting the proper scale degrees in the chords section (1/3/5 and 5/7/9 for you Cmaj/Gmaj example).
The only issue doing this is that you will need to rethink the other sections of the Sinfonion in terms of a specific degree of the scale being temporarily the root.

Or you can just dial in G Mixolydian :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”