Quantizer with 1v/octave transpose?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Quantizer with 1v/octave transpose?

Post by helix » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:05 am

Hey guys, had a search for this and didn't find anything somehow.

I've got a tiptop audio quantizer, its great but it's transpose input is.... not great.
Why it's not 1v/octave i dont know. It would be GREAT to be able to transpose a sequence from one of my Shiny new Division 6 mini sequencers, by the other one. Or by a normal keyboard.

I can't seem to find one that allows this? Surely it makes more sense for it to be playable? Or at least an option to be playable!

karmadelic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by karmadelic » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:12 am

The Doepfer A156 does that

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 am

How about simply mixing (i.e., adding) the two pitch signals (unattenuated) in a mixer and then sending that into your quantizer?

DukeOfPrunes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 am

disting Mk4

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:21 am

The Ladik Q-010 is nice and inexpensive as well:
Octave transpose knob (manual transpose or transpose CV amount) & jack (ccw = 2 octaves down, 1 octave down, mid=no transpose, 1 octave up, cw = 2 octaves up), 0-5V control range if knob is CW (0-1V = -2oct, 1-2V = -1oct, 2-3V = no transp, 3-4V=+1oct, 4-5V = +2oct)
http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=769

The 2hp Tune is also nice although a little less versatile:
http://www.twohp.com/modules/tune

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:43 am

You can mix your transpose signals before you quantize them.... but that takes extra module space.

The Doepfer A156 dual quantizer has a transpose input that works on both of its 2x channels.

Also, the Toppobrillo Quantimator has a transpose CV input (plus a transpose knob that has a 1V range). I find the Quantimator to be a more versatile quantizer compared to the A156 since it has more scales, and does that analog shift register thing too.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Or consider using a precision adder module along with your existing quantizer? I like the vpme.de T43:
https://vpme.de/t43/

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 pm

Doesn't ALM Beast's Chalkboard do this???

LTodd
Common Wiggler

Post by LTodd » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:08 pm

intuitionnyc wrote:Doesn't ALM Beast's Chalkboard do this???
Edit, yes apparently it can!
Last edited by LTodd on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LTodd
Common Wiggler

Post by LTodd » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:26 pm

ADDAC 207 has a transpose input that is 1V/Oct. 4 channels of quantization. I love mine.

You might be able to transpose 1V/Oct with Ornament and Crime as well with one of the quantizer apps. Not positive about this one, but it does have assignable cv ins.

chuckleone
Common Wiggler

Post by chuckleone » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:01 pm

DukeOfPrunes wrote:disting Mk4
I second this. Hands down. Either the Disting mk 4 or the Ornament and Crime.

The Disting Mk4 v4.8 firmware was just released today and it added a 4th quantizer algorithm.

Unless you are absolutely dead set against using digital modules that have menus and displays, I can't see spending the money on any other modules for this type of application. Both modules offer a wide range of options and the Disting Mk 4 continues to gain features with regular firmware updates.

DukeOfPrunes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:06 pm

chuckleone wrote:
DukeOfPrunes wrote:disting Mk4
I second this. Hands down. Either the Disting mk 4 or the Ornament and Crime.

The Disting Mk4 v4.8 firmware was just released today and it added a 4th quantizer algorithm.

Unless you are absolutely dead set against using digital modules that have menus and displays, I can't see spending the money on any other modules for this type of application. Both modules offer a wide range of options and the Disting Mk 4 continues to gain features with regular firmware updates.
Fully agree. I have 2 of them and I could easily find myself using at least 6 of these babies. os is King!

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:14 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:How about simply mixing (i.e., adding) the two pitch signals (unattenuated) in a mixer and then sending that into your quantizer?
With most mixers it's not easy to set the gain to exactly unity. If you're quantizing after mixing, that may not really be a problem - at worst, you get a bit more organic randomness.

If you want to do the transposition as precisely as possible, especially if you're doing the mixing after the quantizing, then you need a unity mixer or precision adder, specifically intended for this kind of application. I sell one, and there are also similar products available from ALM, Doepfer, and several other manufacturers, with varying feature sets.

It's surprising to me that a quantizer with a "transpose" input wouldn't do it accurately, though. I wonder if the original poster is making a mistake in using it - for instance, some quantizers have separate modes for "in-scale" and "out-of-scale" transposition and if someone were to use one of those while expecting the other, the result could end up looking like inaccurate transposition.

Timmy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Timmy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:46 pm

LTodd wrote:You might be able to transpose 1V/Oct with Ornament and Crime as well with one of the quantizer apps. Not positive about this one, but it does have assignable cv ins.
Yes, you can, see the CV_aux setting in the Quantermain app -- http://ornament-and-cri.me/user-manual- ... uantermain

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:48 pm

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-volt

This looks pretty damn perfect for the task
look up!

Hanz
Analogue Avenger

Post by Hanz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:43 am

LTodd wrote:
No, it can’t. It can only add or substract entire octaves to/from a single input.
There’s no further note subdivisions or the option to precision add two separate inputs.
I’m afraid that considerably limits this module’s use for OP’s situation.
“...I am merely a conduit, a kind of big hairy tool. I am just a plastic funnel connected to a Moog...”

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:24 am

Dogma wrote:https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-volt

This looks pretty damn perfect for the task
hmmm no, it just switches Octave even with the added offset as far as I can tell anyway. If you want to add just a semitone or whatever and transpose from that it would still du it in increments of 1V me thinks.. so basically a beast's chalkboard but a range of 14 octaves.

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:51 am

JohnLRice wrote:The Ladik Q-010 is nice and inexpensive as well:
Octave transpose knob (manual transpose or transpose CV amount) & jack (ccw = 2 octaves down, 1 octave down, mid=no transpose, 1 octave up, cw = 2 octaves up), 0-5V control range if knob is CW (0-1V = -2oct, 1-2V = -1oct, 2-3V = no transp, 3-4V=+1oct, 4-5V = +2oct)

I dont think the ladik is 1v/octavbe? It doesn't say so anywhere.

I'm actually in two minds about sequencing in the DAW anyway and sending it out seeing as i have a cv.ocd, which is incredible. But the whoole reason i got the modular is to come away from the computer...

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:26 am

As a mixer/precision adder nothing beats The Doepfer A-185-2 IMHO

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:43 am

helix wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:The Ladik Q-010 is nice and inexpensive as well:

I dont think the ladik is 1v/octavbe? It doesn't say so anywhere.
Sorry, I think I didn't carefully read your original post carefully . . .or at least didn't comprehend it well enough! :doh: :oops:

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:11 am

Doepfer precision adder....
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

LTodd
Common Wiggler

Post by LTodd » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Hanz wrote:
LTodd wrote:
No, it can’t. It can only add or substract entire octaves to/from a single input.
There’s no further note subdivisions or the option to precision add two separate inputs.
I’m afraid that considerably limits this module’s use for OP’s situation.
Oops, I guess I misunderstood the bit on ALM's site about sequence transposition. Thanks for the clarification!

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:11 am

I get the frustration about transpose inputs not being V/oct
(I had that with Metropolis until they added it in the last firmware, but then I had my workaround in place)

You could just use just a precision adder before the quantizer or after (depending on if you want the transposed signal quantized or your transposing sequence is in musical useful intervals already)
I made a version of our precision adder that adds one common transpose CV to three individual channels. So it's like WMD Volt without the internal reference source:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/lpzw-modules-wk1

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:43 am

Timmy wrote:
LTodd wrote:You might be able to transpose 1V/Oct with Ornament and Crime as well with one of the quantizer apps. Not positive about this one, but it does have assignable cv ins.
Yes, you can, see the CV_aux setting in the Quantermain app -- http://ornament-and-cri.me/user-manual- ... uantermain
i don't think the aux parameters track V/oct. could be easily added though

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:25 am

I totally agree that the Disting is a great option, especially when you consider all of the other things it does. It’s quantize functions are amazing, though. I also have a Doepfer A-156 which works great if you are only concerned with basic major/minor quantization.

I recently got a Quantimator as I am often using the Disting for something else. It’s great! Also, very versatile. Besides having transposition and multiple shift register outs, it can play inversions which add a lot of variety.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”