Analog Guy - Will I like Plaits?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

909one
Common Wiggler

Analog Guy - Will I like Plaits?

Post by 909one » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:53 pm

I've been using all analog VCO's up to this point, in fact every synth I ever owned has been analog. I'm considering a Plaits though, mostly because of the harmonic oscillator algo and I can't afford the Verbos version of that. I'm also interested in the Karplus-Strong type stuff a little, and the ability to make a chord here or there sounds nice too.

I've listened to a bunch of demos, sounds pretty good, but how do you guys like the sound of it in person? I know there's a 27 page thread about Plaits somewhere here, but I just don't have the patience to read through it all. Is it going to please a purist?

Ish
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ish » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:57 pm

It's ok. For the price, it's a great utility module or something to have in the case for live play. I wouldn't want it to be my only oscillator, that's for sure.

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Re: Analog Guy - Will I like Plaits?

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 pm

909one wrote:I've been using all analog VCO's up to this point, in fact every synth I ever owned has been analog. I'm considering a Plaits though, mostly because of the harmonic oscillator algo and I can't afford the Verbos version of that. I'm also interested in the Karplus-Strong type stuff a little, and the ability to make a chord here or there sounds nice too.

I've listened to a bunch of demos, sounds pretty good, but how do you guys like the sound of it in person? I know there's a 27 page thread about Plaits somewhere here, but I just don't have the patience to read through it all. Is it going to please a purist?
I find the differences between analog and digital becoming very difficult to isolate these days. I have both analog and digital VCOs and like them all. Plaits is a serious feat for Olivier, as was Braids. Plaits is serious value and offers something special for any ears...I would not hesitate to take the plunge.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Not that fond of the harmonic osc mode in Plaits, but there's probably enough there to please most wigglers. Considering the cost, size, and number of modes--it's a safe bet, even for an analog purist. It sounds good, and even downright organic at times.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Plaits saves tremendous amounts of HP buy emulating complex patches into one module.

Go for it and maybe you'll wiggle on the 'purist' part. Digital sounds like something entirely different than it did in the 80s.

The chord function is definitely one of my favorite parts to the whole thing.

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Some of the modes have a bit of a digital sheen to them which might put you off but it sounds great through an analog VCF. The nice thing about any digital VCO is the stability. It tracks perfectly and you don't have to wait 10 minutes for it to temperature stabilize.

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:24 pm

Go for it. Plaits is a welcome addition to any rack IMO. Not much experience with the Harmonic Oscillator mode yet but the Chord and string modeling modes sound incredible.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:25 pm

subdo wrote:Some of the modes have a bit of a digital sheen to them which might put you off but it sounds great through an analog VCF. The nice thing about any digital VCO is the stability. It tracks perfectly and you don't have to wait 10 minutes for it to temperature stabilize.
I like this tuning stability for sure. Didn't think about that aspect.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Plaits is lovely. However, being an analog purist is a mental thing; it’s all in your head. So, you probably won’t like Plaits. Move along. :tu:
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:48 pm

I pair it with a Mangrove (two actually) which is A Very Analog oscillator. Plaits gives me something different. 16 somethings different actually. Great utility module.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:50 pm

lisa wrote:Plaits is lovely. However, being an analog purist is a mental thing; it’s all in your head. So, you probably won’t like Plaits. Move along. :tu:
This is hilarious and so true.

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:57 pm

909one wrote:
lisa wrote:Plaits is lovely. However, being an analog purist is a mental thing; it’s all in your head. So, you probably won’t like Plaits. Move along. :tu:
This is hilarious and so true.
lol, I got a Plaits and now I’m on the road to a full recovery from analog syndrome. It’s just a module, it does a thing. Music is fun. Don’t stop believing.

j259
Common Wiggler

Post by j259 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:02 pm

The harmonic osc algo doesn't sound much like the Verbos, so my advice is to save up until you can afford the Verbos.

That said, it sounds fairly unique, along with the particle noise algorithm.

Similar to what Subdo said, do not use the internal LPG.

freqout
Common Wiggler

Post by freqout » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:15 pm

if you're an analog purist, wouldn't an important consideration be how well it responds to audio rate modulation?

anyway, i don't have a plaits (yet) but a i recall that one of its upgrades over braids was that it responds better to audio rate modulation

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:57 pm

It’s a beautiful sounding, extremely well implemented digital osc. I didn’t really like the sound of braids at all, but Plaits is very different, sounds much more alive. I’d say it’s as perfect a place as you’ll find to dip your toe into digital.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:09 am

All good replies... thanks! I'm getting ready to move something, and I want to get a new VCO in its place that adds something different to the palette. Plaits is a strong contender but I'm also looking at that new Pittsburgh Primary VCO as well, looks really interesting.

I'd love to save up for that Verbos Harmonic Osc, but the way my current situation works, with a kid, is 'sell to buy', and I just don't have enough stuff to sell to get something like that. I can't justify a $700 oscillator.

DJ_JITTER
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ_JITTER » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:14 am

I guess it really depends on what you like about using analog, and why you're hesitant about digital. Personally I've been loving the sound of Plaits. It's an awful lot of variety for the HP it takes up and the price. The recent firmware update brings the lowest possible frequency down into usable LFO territory too.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:47 am

It's a good cheap digital osc that will do all the "background" sounds, very well.
I am also more fond of analog sources but some nice cheap(ish) digital source that does a lot of things, is good to have. Plaits is just that.

abelovesfun
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by abelovesfun » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Download VCV rack for free and try it :)
Super Easy, Awesome DIY kits @ http://www.aisynthesis.com
modular ambient and composery music @ http://www.forcedamage.com/
https://www.facebook.com/forcedamagemusic

astrodislocate
Common Wiggler

Post by astrodislocate » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:46 pm

If it's mainly the harmonic oscillator you're after, why Plaits? Make Noise still manufacturers the Teleharmonic, and Xaoc is going to release Odessa soon enough. Both of those are much more specifically designed to do that type of synthesis, and would give you much more control. They can both do chords as well.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:28 pm

astrodislocate wrote:If it's mainly the harmonic oscillator you're after, why Plaits? Make Noise still manufacturers the Teleharmonic, and Xaoc is going to release Odessa soon enough. Both of those are much more specifically designed to do that type of synthesis, and would give you much more control. They can both do chords as well.
I think I need to be asking this question more, yes. Thanks for bringing that up. Ill check the Teleharmonic.

Regarding what it is about digital that puts me off a little...
Its not the sound entirely, its the multi-function aspect of it which sometimes creates the problem for my workflow. For example, as a guitar player, I purchased an Eventide H9. I thought I would love the full featured functionality of it, but in the end I sold it because I spent more time messing with presets on the iPad then I did create music with it. I found it be a great jack of all trades, but nothing major really inspired me. I quickly bought a Fulltone Tape Echo after I sold the H9 and I found myself much more inspired. (I wish I still had both of those still pieces though, sold them before the birth of my son)

So what I'm saying is I'm guessing I may feel the same about the Plaits. I got into modular because I don't want to scroll through presets, but as my taste starts to develop and expand I'm realizing I'm wanting to explore different types of voices, and Plaits seems a good place to start. I can always buy and resell, they seem to hold their value.

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:53 pm

So what I'm saying is I'm guessing I may feel the same about the Plaits. I got into modular because I don't want to scroll through presets
Sounds like you shouldn't be blaming the module but rather the end user. Time to learn to discipline yourself. No hardware is forcing you to scan the presets. Just pick one and start tweaking or start from scratch. At least with Plaits you have a pretty limited number of modes and there really is no menu like Braids.

Try to ignore the analog/digital labels and get what you like the sound of or what helps you be more creative.[/quote]

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:31 pm

evileye0702 wrote:
So what I'm saying is I'm guessing I may feel the same about the Plaits. I got into modular because I don't want to scroll through presets
Sounds like you shouldn't be blaming the module but rather the end user. Time to learn to discipline yourself. No hardware is forcing you to scan the presets. Just pick one and start tweaking or start from scratch. At least with Plaits you have a pretty limited number of modes and there really is no menu like Braids.

Try to ignore the analog/digital labels and get what you like the sound of or what helps you be more creative.
[/quote]

Yeah I understand what you are saying here, BUT I don't agree. Every instrument or interface resonates differently with different users, some inherently inspire creativity and some don't. I have avoided Mutable thus far because every instrument I have owned that has presets has a certain relationship for me that is highly functional in some aspects but not very creatively inspiring. Presets for me are still great for live playing... I still own a Nord Electro, have owned countless pedals and synths with presets. However, a large majority of my playing has shifted away from rock band settings where I need to show up and have the gear do the same thing every time. I'm refocusing my energies into largely improvised music and the big draw for modular is the improv aspect of creating something new every time; not just in a musical sense, but building an instrument from scratch.

I think I'm answering my own questions here. Ha. I probably won't gel with Plaits. I was just looking at the Teleharmonic and that seems way more up my alley.

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:38 pm

909one wrote:
astrodislocate wrote:If it's mainly the harmonic oscillator you're after, why Plaits? Make Noise still manufacturers the Teleharmonic, and Xaoc is going to release Odessa soon enough. Both of those are much more specifically designed to do that type of synthesis, and would give you much more control. They can both do chords as well.
I think I need to be asking this question more, yes. Thanks for bringing that up. Ill check the Teleharmonic.

Regarding what it is about digital that puts me off a little...
Its not the sound entirely, its the multi-function aspect of it which sometimes creates the problem for my workflow. For example, as a guitar player, I purchased an Eventide H9. I thought I would love the full featured functionality of it, but in the end I sold it because I spent more time messing with presets on the iPad then I did create music with it. I found it be a great jack of all trades, but nothing major really inspired me. I quickly bought a Fulltone Tape Echo after I sold the H9 and I found myself much more inspired. (I wish I still had both of those still pieces though, sold them before the birth of my son)

So what I'm saying is I'm guessing I may feel the same about the Plaits. I got into modular because I don't want to scroll through presets, but as my taste starts to develop and expand I'm realizing I'm wanting to explore different types of voices, and Plaits seems a good place to start. I can always buy and resell, they seem to hold their value.
Trust me, the value that Plaits will offer you, will get you out of the gates instantly and if you don't cling to it, you can always sell it for not much of a discount.

That extended Karplus-Strong method is worth the price of admission on its own.

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Plaits interface is simple so you don't feck around with options endlessly . You just dial the sound you want. it's a really hands on no thinking approach. You might be surprised by how good it sounds too.
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

Return to “Eurorack Modules”