Analog Guy - Will I like Plaits?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Plaits actually sounds very organic once you add the low pass gate emulation into the mix. The analog modeling in the drum section yields some otherworldly sounds that manage to sound like a real instrument albeit one that hasn’t been invented yet. And in the terminology of analog purist it sounds “round” and “full” much of the time.

folpon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by folpon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:45 pm

As a counterpoint to the very reasonable opinions expressed above: I was in the same place, bought a Plaits, and about two weeks later sold it and just bought the Verbos. I like the Verbos a lot.

As a counterpoint to that: Everyone else who heard the Plaits in my rack said, "I love that sound" and it was only me who hated it.

So maybe it is all in our heads.

DJ_JITTER
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ_JITTER » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:39 am

I think the whole point of Plaits as a sequel to Braids is that it streamlines the interface, so interacting with the sounds is much more "modular" than the menu-diving that Braids could be prone to. Compared to other multi-function modules like the Disting and O_C, Plaits just flows so much better.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:50 am

In general one could say, if you have a heart for early 2000 vsts, and the sound that went with it, you can go mutable instruments. And if you like the demos, go ahead!

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:40 am

I absolutely love my plaits, its a brilliant oscillator. But then again i like digital and im a huge mutable instruments fanboy.
A word of caution though: having played with both in person, the verbos harmonic oscillator sounds nothing like plaits harmonic model which is digital and beautifully glassy. The HO otoh sounds earthy, dirty and warm.
They are as different sounding as two harmonic oscillators could possibly be so imho save up on the verbos if thats the sound that gets you going.

I sometimes can approach this sound by running plaits through the extremely good sounding analogue saturation on the wmd multimode vca.

EDIT: i just gotta add that i know for a fact that MI digital modules sound nothing like "early 2000s vsts."
Last edited by DonKartofflo on Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:40 am

evs wrote:In general one could say, if you have a heart for early 2000 vsts, and the sound that went with it, you can go mutable instruments. And if you like the demos, go ahead!
Like tons of aliasing and other artefacts? Plaits has none of that.
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:32 am

No, I have in memory that this was the time when aliasing and artifacts were gone, and everybody thought that they sound great.

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:37 am

evs wrote:No, I have in memory that this was the time when aliasing and artifacts were gone, and everybody thought that they sound great.
Aliasing and artifacts were alive and well in the early 2000s...

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:12 pm

DonKartofflo wrote:I absolutely love my plaits, its a brilliant oscillator. But then again i like digital and im a huge mutable instruments fanboy.
A word of caution though: having played with both in person, the verbos harmonic oscillator sounds nothing like plaits harmonic model which is digital and beautifully glassy. The HO otoh sounds earthy, dirty and warm.
They are as different sounding as two harmonic oscillators could possibly be so imho save up on the verbos if thats the sound that gets you going.

I sometimes can approach this sound by running plaits through the extremely good sounding analogue saturation on the wmd multimode vca.

EDIT: i just gotta add that i know for a fact that MI digital modules sound nothing like "early 2000s vsts."
Earthy dirty and warm is exactly what I m looking for, ha. Why is the Verbos stuff so pricey? Is it because it’s all discrete transistor?

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:01 pm

Another great thing about Plaits (apart from its sound) is that is very economical - both in terms of price and footprint.

You would need a serious number of basic modules to deliver some of Plaits' algorithms, and yet it is only 12HP. There are preset algorithms but that's it. The rest is up to you.

I have (and love) Plaits, Braids and Rings. For me Plaits' biological parent is Rings, rather than Braids. If I were to sell one, I think it would be Rings, rather than Braids.

stickman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:40 am

In subtractive style 2osc patches I find the plaits compliments an analog VCO very well e.g. with chaotic saws/squares or with fm style oscs

If you already have good classic analog waveforms i find the plaits is a good compliment because it is different, not more of the same, and can add great unconventional movement when modulated

Then on top of that the LPG is amaze! So now I have percussion and osc options

DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:02 am

909one wrote:
Earthy dirty and warm is exactly what I m looking for, ha. Why is the Verbos stuff so pricey? Is it because it’s all discrete transistor?
Well they are produced in relatively small quantities and they are mostly pretty original designs. Also i guess he is trying to make a living somehow and he knows he can charge these prices in this market (nothing wrong with that imo)
Also they sound darn good.
I feel obliged to tell you there have been QC issues in the past but he moved production to berlin recently so maybe that has changed.

I gotta say theres not much that sounds like it. Very special character, not outright nasty or dirty but very heavy and analogue.

Maybe start with some smaller module of his to see if you like the character.
The amplitude and tone controller is very much verbos in sound and if you get hooked on that you can get the HO later.

EDIT: as an alternative, the random source stuff sounds very similar and is considerably cheaper, especially if youre into DIY. The patching philisophy feels similar too so you might also think about getting for example a new timbral oscillator and a wave multiplier as diy kits...
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
FS:
Mutable Instruments Tides 1 120€
Addac sys 12U powered frame 200€

djd_oz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by djd_oz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 am

You could always put it through some analog distortion/saturation to warm it up a little.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:15 pm

stickman wrote:In subtractive style 2osc patches I find the plaits compliments an analog VCO very well e.g. with chaotic saws/squares or with fm style oscs

If you already have good classic analog waveforms i find the plaits is a good compliment because it is different, not more of the same, and can add great unconventional movement when modulated

Then on top of that the LPG is amaze! So now I have percussion and osc options
So yeah this is really why I’m looking at Plaits, I want something different. I think I have it narrowed down to Plaits or Telharmonic. I’d love to get the Verbos but it’s just too up there in price and I need something soon, I just sold the piece I needed to move and need another voice to replace it. I think I don’t care if it’s digital or not, just if it has some inspiring sounds. After going through a bunch more demos there seems to be a couple of algos on the Plaits that are catching my attention now, and the functionality seems to be extremely intuitive. It’s not menu diving like I’m used to. The Telharmonic seems really interesting though too. I like the way it generates chords and scales. In comparison of sound though, from what I can tell from demos, the Plaits actually sounds a little warmer.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:49 am

one of the features of multi-mode modules like plaits is that you can set it up with some fun modulation and then surf through the algorithms to get nice surprises you wouldn't have otherwise come up with

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:54 am

th0mas wrote:one of the features of multi-mode modules like plaits is that you can set it up with some fun modulation and then surf through the algorithms to get nice surprises you wouldn't have otherwise come up with
:fap:
*phnert*

ayruos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ayruos » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:23 am

What I don't like about the Plaits is the fact that it only outputs one (or two - but the second is related to the first) mode at a time. I have nothing against digital modules, but I like my oscillators to have multiple outputs, be it as simple as the STO/Dixie or something more complex like the TelHarmonic. Just my 2c :)

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 am

ayruos wrote:What I don't like about the Plaits is the fact that it only outputs one (or two - but the second is related to the first) mode at a time. I have nothing against digital modules, but I like my oscillators to have multiple outputs
Get two. :party:
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:

ayruos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ayruos » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:47 am

Haha! I'm happy with my STO + TelHarmonic at the present, and plotting a second STO soon :D

mildheadwound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mildheadwound » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:28 pm

I'll just throw in here, that i just grabbed this pup, and removed an analogue oscillator, to make the space. No regrets at all, (especially considering i have 3 other vcos), but it's not gonna be replacing my Mysteron anytime soon; that thing has pluck! Even though i couldn't rip the Rings out of my system, fast enough, {the plaits even has a, 'mini/micro', Rings mode, which definitely confused me less}, this one is an instant classic, for the size, options and sound. If it only had dedicated envelope controls, i would deem it one of the best.

Klunsford13
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Klunsford13 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Is plaits better than braids ?

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 pm

ayruos wrote:Haha! I'm happy with my STO + TelHarmonic at the present, and plotting a second STO soon :D
Aside from the Plaits I’m thinking of getting a Telharmonic or actually was thinking STO. Do those two compliment each other well?

tarmoog
Common Wiggler

Post by tarmoog » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Initial impression of using plaits in vcv rack is that you need to memorize a lot of things. Good thing in braids was that 4 character screen was really helpful of telling what sound the module is making currently.

Memorizing might not be a big deal if you use your modular daily, but for me I might have longer breaks between modular sessions and I hate when whole session is manual reading...

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:17 pm

909one wrote:
lisa wrote:Plaits is lovely. However, being an analog purist is a mental thing; it’s all in your head. So, you probably won’t like Plaits. Move along. :tu:
This is hilarious and so true.
It's true of most Analog..as always, words are bandied about without making finer distinctions. I've yet to hear a digital oscillator that sounds anything like AJH Synth oscillators.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Klunsford13 wrote:Is plaits better than braids ?
viewtopic.php?t=204224&highlight=

Return to “Eurorack Modules”