Birdkids ”Raven” ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
etherline
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:10 am
Location: UK

Re: Raven

Post by etherline » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:11 pm

cityz3n wrote:We did it!
Hooray! I was dreading going down the back of the sofa looking for loose change. I think noetic might have sold his sofa.

AntonWoldhek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 am

Post by AntonWoldhek » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:25 pm

woie

noeticsound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Raven

Post by noeticsound » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:01 pm

etherline wrote:
cityz3n wrote:We did it!
Hooray! I was dreading going down the back of the sofa looking for loose change. I think noetic might have sold his sofa.
And I couldn't be happier. I was starting to feel oppressed by the convention of sofa seating, like I'm obligated to sit on it.

Well, it can torment me no longer. I'm free. I AM DELIVERED! And so much more floor space. They don't tell you that when they design your interiors. :razz:

noeticsound
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: NYC

Post by noeticsound » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:15 pm

MaartenV wrote:Just made a sequence on the RAVEN prototype just now, must say, it sounds amazing!! Hopefully it gets funded indeed, its really worth it.

[video][/video]
Maarten, I love the sound of this demo!

It strongly reminds me of Sakamoto's Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. Your melody is much more expansive, possibly generative, but the implied harmonic motion is similar. Is that coincidental?

User avatar
chaosick
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:44 pm
Location: Yamcouver
Contact:

Post by chaosick » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:21 pm

noeticsound wrote:
MaartenV wrote:Just made a sequence on the RAVEN prototype just now, must say, it sounds amazing!! Hopefully it gets funded indeed, its really worth it.

[video][/video]
Maarten, I love the sound of this demo!

It strongly reminds me of Sakamoto's Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. Your melody is much more expansive, possibly generative, but the implied harmonic motion is similar. Is that coincidental?
I haven't seen this film but I know that Takeshi Kitano is in it, in a cheesy role (apparently?) His own films are brilliant ,and speaking of music, he has one of the best composers around doing the music in many of them, Jo Hisashi.

User avatar
MaartenV
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:40 am
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands, studio: Kytopia
Contact:

Post by MaartenV » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:01 pm

noeticsound wrote:
MaartenV wrote:Just made a sequence on the RAVEN prototype just now, must say, it sounds amazing!! Hopefully it gets funded indeed, its really worth it.

[video][/video]
Maarten, I love the sound of this demo!

It strongly reminds me of Sakamoto's Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. Your melody is much more expansive, possibly generative, but the implied harmonic motion is similar. Is that coincidental?
yeah kind of based on that harmony for this demo indeed!

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:05 am

MaartenV wrote:
noeticsound wrote:
MaartenV wrote:Just made a sequence on the RAVEN prototype just now, must say, it sounds amazing!! Hopefully it gets funded indeed, its really worth it.

[video][/video]
Maarten, I love the sound of this demo!

It strongly reminds me of Sakamoto's Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. Your melody is much more expansive, possibly generative, but the implied harmonic motion is similar. Is that coincidental?
yeah kind of based on that harmony for this demo indeed!
@noeticsound - Maarten has that sequencing magic I rarely hear anywhere else..

Anyway sorry I didn't have time to reply yesterday yet, we were on the move all day, and I'm taking care of Julius the Pug (or vice versa, depending on the outlook).

So we were noodling on the same prototype DivKid had in his studio, this time in Utrecht at Maarten's place.

[video][/video]

Sequence is by Maarten, I'm just knob twiddling. There is some distortion going too hot into the digital inputs of the streaming software, mind you it's software side, the unit is really clean, too clean gain staging for my taste even, can't wait to go back to Vienna and add some overharmonic distortion past 3 o'clock on the VCA. To be fair, the task, engineering team set here for themselves with the early proto, was to get predictable measurements respective our simulations, they did, now it's up to me (the modular, knucklehead) to set the response ranges and overall sonic behavior to let's call it *taste*, the XL version already had a lot of tweaking of ranges before I flew out to Den Haag, but the 42hp versions were developed earlier and held back for measurements :deadbanana:

Oh, yah, we made it past 100% funding I think.. just sidenote :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:22 am

Image

Other than about 7k still missing from people not having their Credit Cards covered at moment of pledge withdrawal, we can call it a success :party:

Gonna keep you guys & girls updated in the next days and then it's off to the lab :hyper:

AntonWoldhek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 am

Post by AntonWoldhek » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 pm

oh god. kickstarter doesnt put a reserve on the cc until due date. sigh...

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:53 pm

AntonWoldhek wrote:oh god. kickstarter doesnt put a reserve on the cc until due date. sigh...
Yeah, but it's not affecting backers or campaign outcome - y'all safe just on the record :tu:

User avatar
cityz3n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:43 am
Location: Belgium

Raven

Post by cityz3n » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Ok. My card was charged today!
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

User avatar
MaartenV
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:40 am
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands, studio: Kytopia
Contact:

Post by MaartenV » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:18 am

:cat: :cat: :forumcats: :stormcat: :cat2:
yay! awesome we made it!

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:32 am

MaartenV wrote::cat: :cat: :forumcats: :stormcat: :cat2:
yay! awesome we made it!
Yay! Tomorrow, Kickstarter will send us the final list of Backers and Fulfillment lists. :sb:

Multiple Skype conferences with engineering and lots of feedback from early testers - check.
Bug Fixes List crossed - check.
Production Slots reserved for February - check.

Next up, Lab meeting in Vienna on the 20th/21st of Dec.
Whoever backed RAVEN - y'all gonna be happy campers when you read what we have in stock for you :mrgreen:

Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
whinger
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:57 pm
Location: Jamestown, WA
Contact:

Post by whinger » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:54 am

Congratulations, that's great news.

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:23 am

whinger wrote:Congratulations, that's great news.
Thank you! :party:

We're deep into our lab extracurricular activities at the moment, I won't be able to keep up with the forum on a regular basis, but we're using our Facepalm channel to drop some hints regarding the progress, to be followed by an extensive, official, status update on the Campaign site sometime in mid January.

Facepalm Link

Oh and for those in the LA area, I'll be attending some key days (most likely 25th/26th of January) of NAMM 2019 as a spokesperson for birdkids, so get in touch if you wanna chat or just hug :cat: - if Chris of EQD is around, good coffee is possible even in Anaheim.

User avatar
cityz3n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:43 am
Location: Belgium

Raven

Post by cityz3n » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:12 am

Wow!!!

I think I figured out the hint.

Happy holidays!
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: Raven

Post by birdkid » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:56 am

cityz3n wrote:Wow!!!

I think I figured out the hint.

Happy holidays!
It has to do with Subs :bacon:

Image

Happy Holidays y'all!

User avatar
cityz3n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:43 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Raven

Post by cityz3n » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:52 am

birdkid wrote:
cityz3n wrote:Wow!!!

I think I figured out the hint.

Happy holidays!
It has to do with Subs :bacon:

Image

Happy Holidays y'all!
Woohoo!!! :yay: :hyper: :yay:

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

That with no extra hp. It’s a Xmas miracle!
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:07 am

What happened so far (aka previously on LOST):

1. Campaign reflection and definition of streeeetchgoals.
2. Re-design, optimization and verification.
3. Production start.

Upcoming:

Calibration and dispatch of 1st batch to Early Adopters. :party:

As usual, I'm not on this forum much, and even less so than before as this year is basically a non-stop rollercoaster ride of exhibs, workshops and talks.
Do, send me a good ol' pigeon post, addy here.

And if nothing else, here's where you'll find the:

sounds
https://soundcloud.com/birdkids/sets/ra ... troduction

vids
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2tuVcl5u2EF3ZjprxfxmCw/videos

ye olde shoppe

birdkids official webshop powered by Big Cartel

socials
FB TWITTER IG

Rock on! :bananaguitar:
Last edited by birdkid on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2143
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 am
Location: Suhlendorf

Post by Leverkusen » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:24 am

birdkid wrote:

User avatar
chaosick
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:44 pm
Location: Yamcouver
Contact:

Post by chaosick » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:46 pm

birdkid wrote:What happened so far (aka previously on LOST):

1. Campaign reflection and definition of streeeetchgoals.
2. Re-design, optimization and verification.
3. Production start.

Upcoming:

Calibration and dispatch of 1st batch to Early Adopters. :party:

As usual, I'm not on this forum much, and even less so than before as this year is basically a non-stop rollercoaster ride of exhibs, workshops and talks.
Do, send me a good ol' pigeon post, addy here.

And if nothing else, here's where you'll find the:

sounds
https://soundcloud.com/birdkids/sets/ra ... troduction

vids
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2tuVcl5u2EF3ZjprxfxmCw/videos

ye olde shoppe

birdkids official webshop powered by Big Cartel

socials
FB TWITTER IG

Rock on! :bananaguitar:
Looking forward to it. You've probably made more good demos showcasing different sides of it than any module I've ever seen, more manufacturers should follow your example. Most beautiful collection of patch sheets I've ever seen.

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:46 am

chaosick wrote:
birdkid wrote:What happened so far (aka previously on LOST):

1. Campaign reflection and definition of streeeetchgoals.
2. Re-design, optimization and verification.
3. Production start.

Upcoming:

Calibration and dispatch of 1st batch to Early Adopters. :party:

As usual, I'm not on this forum much, and even less so than before as this year is basically a non-stop rollercoaster ride of exhibs, workshops and talks.
Do, send me a good ol' pigeon post, addy here.

And if nothing else, here's where you'll find the:

sounds
https://soundcloud.com/birdkids/sets/ra ... troduction

vids
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2tuVcl5u2EF3ZjprxfxmCw/videos

ye olde shoppe

birdkids official webshop powered by Big Cartel

socials
FB TWITTER IG

Rock on! :bananaguitar:
Looking forward to it. You've probably made more good demos showcasing different sides of it than any module I've ever seen, more manufacturers should follow your example. Most beautiful collection of patch sheets I've ever seen.
Oh, thank you so much for the kind words :tu:
The patch sheets are for TheBateleur series and 42hp System. But RAVEN will get the same treatment, just waiting for the final panels to arrive, and then we have some video material for you!

Tech specs are in too... How low can you go? 0.1Hz (in LFO mode).

User avatar
cityz3n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:43 am
Location: Belgium

Post by cityz3n » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:21 am

birdkid wrote:
But RAVEN will get the same treatment, just waiting for the final panels to arrive, and then we have some video material for you!

Tech specs are in too... How low can you go? 0.1Hz (in LFO mode).
Yeah!!!
:yay:
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 pm

1460 holes per PCB.
666 elec./mech. components (YES, we had some, uhm help to make it sound THAT good :twisted: )
81 Testpoints.
3 Engineers.
1 SlimJim™ automatic testing system.

Image [/img]

User avatar
chaosick
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:44 pm
Location: Yamcouver
Contact:

Post by chaosick » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:45 pm

birdkid wrote:1460 holes per PCB.
666 elec./mech. components (YES, we had some, uhm help to make it sound THAT good :twisted: )
81 Testpoints.
3 Engineers.
1 SlimJim™ automatic testing system.

Image [/img]
Sorry, I don't know shit about circuit engineering, but I'm curious about this help --> sound quality, particular in the current super pc-"it's all good," calm rhetoric that has invaded even eurorack modules, trying to mislead people that all oscillators are "good", it just depends on your "tastes, man," when your product is a clear proof that this is utter BS.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”