Birdkids ”Raven” ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Re: Birdkids ”Raven” ?

Post by birdkid » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:45 pm

Dear pekbro and synonymist,

We had something to prove with the RAVEN and TheBateleur, and I believe we did prove our point.
I've always seen our mission as the creation of instruments to enable, inspire and enrich people to shape the audiovisual realm - however... it was never limited to synthesizers, eurorack or any one particular medium.

With RAVEN the goal was to make the ultimate, modular voice, the raw, pure building blocks - all killer no filler.
We gave people many opportunities besides the Kickstarter Campaign to get a chance at domesticating the bird, those who cared and took the leap of faith basically made it happen in the first place - hence our obligation and gratitude is entirely towards them.

RAVEN was never meant to be a mass-manufactured voice, we just made it stupidly simple for people to get in - we've fulfilled our promise with the extra benefit or two (can you say, stretchgoooooooals) and so the Eurorack chapter is closed.

But a completely new one is just starting... 8-)

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:10 pm

birdkid wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:45 pm

so the Eurorack chapter is closed.

Thanks for the thoughtful response and the insight as to your stance on the matter. An admirable position, albeit
a bit saddening for the eurorack fans I'm sure. No doubt you can understand that the kickstarter type of situation can be
daunting for many and often simple things like timing can present a problem, even when someone is willing to support
your efforts. In the end it seems like this was a great experience for all those involved.

I would offer congratulations to birdkids and all those that successfully supported the Raven project. A job well done
in bringing this interesting rarity to life. :tu:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:36 pm

birdkid wrote:

We had something to prove with the RAVEN and TheBateleur, and I believe we did prove our point.
I've always seen our mission as the creation of instruments to enable, inspire and enrich people to shape the audiovisual realm - however... it was never limited to synthesizers, eurorack or any one particular medium.

With RAVEN the goal was to make the ultimate, modular voice, the raw, pure building blocks - all killer no filler.
We gave people many opportunities besides the Kickstarter Campaign to get a chance at domesticating the bird, those who cared and took the leap of faith basically made it happen in the first place - hence our obligation and gratitude is entirely towards them.

RAVEN was never meant to be a mass-manufactured voice, we just made it stupidly simple for people to get in - we've fulfilled our promise with the extra benefit or two (can you say, stretchgoooooooals) and so the Eurorack chapter is closed.

Mike, Thank you for explaining that. On rereading the stretch goals page, I compared 1. what RAVEN was before its last redesigns to 2. its final form. Surely the former was an essential yet nascent version of the instrument, whereas the latter is the mature and fully formed version. I say this only in hindsight of course, since I never played the earlier version.

Most impressive to me, however, was birdkids's ability to not only detect the difference between 3. its first assumptions about the market for RAVEN and 4. what proved to be the reality, but to have the humility and courage to redesign RAVEN accordingly. As a designer I can report that, in my experience, most organizations (or practitioners) usually are unable to pivot that way; especially when it is variously unflattering, inconvenient, or expensive for them to do so.

Late to both the birdkids game generally (I slept on TheBateleur), and to RAVEN in particular, I only regret not ordering a second RAVEN. But I am a longtime serial obsessive with a strong tendency to hoard. So just one RAVEN really is the right number for me. ;)

My own history of music making, both without and with electronic tools, predates eurorack by decades. I'm glad I caught birdkids's foray into eurorack, and I look forward to whatever you will do next. All the Best!

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:31 pm

Here is new music that I made with RAVEN, accompanied by Rings this time (the only other sound source). Although based on the same patch, the two tracks are quite different from each other.

If you are patient enough to listen to much of the first one, you will hear the non-12-tet harmony that prompted me to dedicate the piece to Wendy Carlos. Patience in listening to the second one will yield yet more RAVEN timbres. Session notes are at each track's webpage:

AXN
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AXN » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:51 am

So this module is discontinued? Not hitting the shops in Q2 2020 as said earlier?

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:44 am

AXN wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:51 am
So this module is discontinued? Not hitting the shops in Q2 2020 as said earlier?
Hello. Certainly I do not speak for birdkids. But here is what I got from this thread:

On June 21, 2019
birdkid wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:28 am
RAVEN is set for a minimum MSRP of 1149,- €
We will not make it available to external retail anytime before Q2-2020
If this is what you referred to, then note that there was no mention of RAVEN hitting the shops during a certain time period. Rather it is a mention of the time period before which no external retail sales would be made available.

On December 24, 2019
birdkid wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:13 pm
pekbro wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:44 pm
Will there be another run of these?
HIGHLY unlikely - but never say never :mrgreen:
A ray of hope. However...

On December 24, 2019
birdkid wrote:
...the Eurorack chapter is closed.
That sounded quite final.

That said, I would think that a highly motivated person who was ready to buy could contact birdkids to request a new RAVEN. Maybe suggesting a group buy with a minimum quantity (ten, for example) would be incentive for birdkids to make more RAVENs.

Good Luck!

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:28 am

Albeit with a fair bit of processing (RING, Triple Wavefolder, Resonant Equalizer, Dendrites, and Tensor pedal), RAVEN is the only primary sound source in this track. Session notes are at the track's webpage:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:32 am

synonymist wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:44 am
AXN wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:51 am
Hello. Certainly I do not speak for birdkids. But here is what I got from this thread:

On June 21, 2019
birdkid wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:28 am
RAVEN is set for a minimum MSRP of 1149,- €
We will not make it available to external retail anytime before Q2-2020
If this is what you referred to, then note that there was no mention of RAVEN hitting the shops during a certain time period. Rather it is a mention of the time period before which no external retail sales would be made available.

On December 24, 2019
birdkid wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:13 pm
pekbro wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:44 pm
Will there be another run of these?
HIGHLY unlikely - but never say never :mrgreen:
A ray of hope. However...

On December 24, 2019
birdkid wrote:
...the Eurorack chapter is closed.
That sounded quite final.

That said, I would think that a highly motivated person who was ready to buy could contact birdkids to request a new RAVEN. Maybe suggesting a group buy with a minimum quantity (ten, for example) would be incentive for birdkids to make more RAVENs.

Good Luck!
Everything synonymist wrote is 100% correct. Indeed the Kickstarter campaign was the only chance to get it - I'm sorry.
In other news, we've finally launched what we've been working on for such a long time, a game-changer for us, and we once more, depend on the community to be able to make this one happen, even more so than ever due to the circumstances I don't have to explain.

Find the topic here: https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=229164

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:55 pm

I did have a chance to get the Raven (and bateleur) 2nd hand, ultimately I decided
against it. It did not make a lot of sense to me to go out of my way to own the
modules of a company who's interest in the format was only in passing.

Personally I prefer developers who actually want to make a go of it. :despair:

foliephonics
Common Wiggler

Post by foliephonics » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:14 pm

I've supported and bought some manufacturer's first module (and still do).
I'm very happy I did (and still do).
And I've supported and bought a Raven.
I'm very happy I did.
And I'm sad that this module will not go beyond Kickstarter.
I'm happy for you that you've (finally ?) come up with a product you really want to push. Considering the quality of Raven, I'm sure you have all it takes to make it a success. And I won't follow you there because that's not where I'm heading.
I think I'll feel a little sad when I next look at my Raven...
birdkids, you have my best wishes.

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:46 pm

pekbro wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:55 pm
I did have a chance to get the Raven (and bateleur) 2nd hand, ultimately I decided

You mean going "out of the way" like I did the last 5 years despite it making no financial sense due to incredible stagnation and ultimately complete decline of sales? putting about 100k of my own pocket and never seeing a single cent in return? You mean the going of the way, standing through 3 NAMMs, 4 Superbooths, countless other exhibitions and workshop by myself at the booth, replying every single eMail in person? Knowing every single customer in person? Delivering the RAVEN ot every single customer wrapping every single package... making about 35k loss on the campaign? Thanks for the support :sarcasm:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:47 pm

foliephonics wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:14 pm
I've supported and bought some manufacturer's first module (and still do).
I'm very happy I did (and still do).
And I've supported and bought a Raven.
I'm very happy I did.
And I'm sad that this module will not go beyond Kickstarter.
I'm happy for you that you've (finally ?) come up with a product you really want to push. Considering the quality of Raven, I'm sure you have all it takes to make it a success. And I won't follow you there because that's not where I'm heading.
I think I'll feel a little sad when I next look at my Raven...
birdkids, you have my best wishes.
Thank you so so much! :tu: :tu: :tu:

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:22 pm

birdkid wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:46 pm
pekbro wrote:

You mean going "out of the way" like I did the last 5 years despite it making no financial sense due to incredible stagnation and ultimately complete decline of sales? putting about 100k of my own pocket and never seeing a single cent in return? You mean the going of the way, standing through 3 NAMMs, 4 Superbooths, countless other exhibitions and workshop by myself at the booth, replying every single eMail in person? Knowing every single customer in person? Delivering the RAVEN ot every single customer wrapping every single package... making about 35k loss on the campaign? Thanks for the support :sarcasm:
Well I didn’t really mean it like that. By out of my way, I meant getting it from a non-vendor who was very
far away. Tbh I was saddened that not a single vendor
picked up the Raven.

As for the other thing, that’s just a personal preference.
I invariably tend to crave the work of devs I like, so I tend
to collect more than one piece of their product lines.
For me, knowing there will never be anymore puts a huge
damper on my interest.

Either way, I don’t see how people complaining that
you’re not making any more modules is something to
get offended by.

-cheers

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:08 pm

deleted

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:46 am

pekbro wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:22 pm
birdkid wrote:
pekbro wrote:

Well I didn’t really mean it like that. By out of my way, I meant getting it from a non-vendor who was very
picked up the Raven.

damper on my interest.

get offended by.

-cheers
I wouldn't say a single word if it didn't sound to me (still does tbh) like there is an insinuation we're not IN IT 100%.
Every millisecond of video footage, every pixel, letter, optical control of panel, pcb, packaging, and much more went through my hands in the last 5 years. I live and breath birdkids, modular synths, every knob and panel you ever saw from us, I probably placed and screwed.
Yes I'm lucky to be surrounded by incredibly talented people that chose to work with me over the years, but they're also all freelancers, and the only one fully invested into the entire modular enterprise (and now since offGrid my Wife who's 100% partnering on all future endeavours) is me ... so when you write, that you're not sure because it feels like there will not be anymore, I'll give you just simple numbers:

RAVEN campaign
  • 81 backers - 10 bounced, either credit cards, or just removed pledges last second
    10% fee reduction to Kickstarter and Stripe
    20% taxation in Austria on entire fee
    amount collected around 35K
    Development cost RAVEN - ca. 35-40K about 1.5years of hardcore development, revisions etc..
    Production cost 100 units - ca. 30-35K taking into account that we had some parts left like potentiometers and caps, otherwise would be even more
And if that's not enough - rest assured I got about 50+ requests from people who couldn't bother to support the campaign, to maybe offer them a RAVEN for the same price as the Early Bird, including well known retail shops.
And at least as many from people inquiring in the manner of "I looove the RAVEN, totally wanna buy it, do you have one left in stock?" who when faced with a Proforma never to be heard from again. Some would return a couple of months later and try to get it at the Kickstarter price.

And if that's not enough - here's a glimpse into how many life-years went into convincing people to ffs buy a RAVEN for 399EUR on Kickstarter: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018 ... pre-order/

Btw. when we had manufacturer delays, followed by me recalling the entire first pre-batch to ensure uniform potentiometer levelling and consistent lubrication of shafts - I flew to a client to hand-deliver 10 units just to make sure he gets them in-time for his premiere. :despair:

Anyway, if there is one thing to takeaway from this rant: I don't blame anyone for the situation, it's my business choice, my life, and my struggles.
But I never once compromised on quality or reputation. And if there's never a single birdkids product to see the light of day, I'll still have a good conscience I've served every single customer, and made some damn amazing friends in the process. :sb:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:54 am

birdkid wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:46 am
pekbro wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:22 pm
birdkid wrote:
pekbro wrote:

picked up the Raven.

damper on my interest.

get offended by.

-cheers
I wouldn't say a single word if it didn't sound to me (still does tbh) like there is an insinuation we're not IN IT 100%.
Every millisecond of video footage, every pixel, letter, optical control of panel, pcb, packaging, and much more went through my hands in the last 5 years. I live and breath birdkids, modular synths, every knob and panel you ever saw from us, I probably placed and screwed.
Yes I'm lucky to be surrounded by incredibly talented people that chose to work with me over the years, but they're also all freelancers, and the only one fully invested into the entire modular enterprise (and now since offGrid my Wife who's 100% partnering on all future endeavours) is me ... so when you write, that you're not sure because it feels like there will not be anymore, I'll give you just simple numbers:

RAVEN campaign
  • 81 backers - 10 bounced, either credit cards, or just removed pledges last second
    10% fee reduction to Kickstarter and Stripe
    20% taxation in Austria on entire fee
    amount collected around 35K
    Development cost RAVEN - ca. 35-40K about 1.5years of hardcore development, revisions etc..
    Production cost 100 units - ca. 30-35K taking into account that we had some parts left like potentiometers and caps, otherwise would be even more
And if that's not enough - rest assured I got about 50+ requests from people who couldn't bother to support the campaign, to maybe offer them a RAVEN for the same price as the Early Bird, including well known retail shops.
And at least as many from people inquiring in the manner of "I looove the RAVEN, totally wanna buy it, do you have one left in stock?" who when faced with a Proforma never to be heard from again. Some would return a couple of months later and try to get it at the Kickstarter price.

And if that's not enough - here's a glimpse into how many life-years went into convincing people to ffs buy a RAVEN for 399EUR on Kickstarter: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018 ... pre-order/

Btw. when we had manufacturer delays, followed by me recalling the entire first pre-batch to ensure uniform potentiometer levelling and consistent lubrication of shafts - I flew to a client to hand-deliver 10 units just to make sure he gets them in-time for his premiere. :despair:

Anyway, if there is one thing to takeaway from this rant: I don't blame anyone for the situation, it's my business choice, my life, and my struggles.
But I never once compromised on quality or reputation. And if there's never a single birdkids product to see the light of day, I'll still have a good conscience I've served every single customer, and made some damn amazing friends in the process. :sb:
Mike, At this juncture I share with you a Chinese proverb. This is the nearest rendering in English I could find, anyway. The namesake character in a film that is a favorite of mine, "The King of Masks", says a version of it to his young charge:

"A dragon will be teased by a shrimp in a shoal water; a tiger will be bullied by a dog on a treeless plain."

Although I never thought to ask you about it, upon reading your account of the RAVEN project here I was wholly unsurprised. Also, even though I don't know you well, I can attest to your friendly and accommodating dealings with me, attending to every detail during several months. All that for one customer not known by you to be either a celebrity or an industry influencer (in fact I am neither, being instead a recluse working in obscurity), for their order of merely one RAVEN and one Unicorn BOOM with an alternative faceplate.

In this modern world of instant, disposable, virtual, and fungible everything, many people who live in peace and prosperity do not value the lives and works of those who invent and make things of exceptional integrity. Invariably they are people who themselves never strove for or accomplished any similar thing. That all is their loss. It is also a lessening of the stature of human civilization; growing pains for humankind, perhaps, but a sad turn for now.

Don't let it bother you. Yes, your choice was of your own making, which is your personal responsibility. But know that outshining any detractors, you and your colleagues and your work together are admired and appreciated by others who do see the value. I am one such, and again I thank you for choosing to share your vision with us.

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:04 am

synonymist wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:54 am

Mike, At this juncture I share with you a Chinese proverb. This is the nearest rendering in English I could find, anyway. The namesake character in a film that is a favorite of mine, "The King of Masks", says a version of it to his young charge:

"A dragon will be teased by a shrimp in a shoal water; a tiger will be bullied by a dog on a treeless plain."

Although I never thought to ask you about it, upon reading your account of the RAVEN project here I was wholly unsurprised. Also, even though I don't know you well, I can attest to your friendly and accommodating dealings with me, attending to every detail during several months. All that for one customer not known by you to be either a celebrity or an industry influencer (in fact I am neither, being instead a recluse working in obscurity), for their order of merely one RAVEN and one Unicorn BOOM with an alternative faceplate.

In this modern world of instant, disposable, virtual, and fungible everything, many people who live in peace and prosperity do not value the lives and works of those who invent and make things of exceptional integrity. Invariably they are people who themselves never strove for or accomplished any similar thing. That all is their loss. It is also a lessening of the stature of human civilization; growing pains for humankind, perhaps, but a sad turn for now.

Don't let it bother you. Yes, your choice was of your own making, which is your personal responsibility. But know that outshining any detractors, you and your colleagues and your work together are admired and appreciated by others who do see the value. I am one such, and again I thank you for choosing to share your vision with us.
That's a beautiful proverb and a beautiful message, dear synonymist.
I remain hopeful regarding humanity, and the arts.. and I think my personal message with our analog synths was destined for those who heard it, so I don't feel in any way misunderstood or left out. I would be the first to admit, that very little of it made business sense, and that's noone's burden but my own. On a positive note, the shift in focus happened long time ago, so I believe there is a lot of possibility to correct the naive business mistakes I've made and let more capable people handle that side of things.
Also the main focus was always about empowering music making, creative expression, and that does not end with our modular line.
Our long-time users and friends should rest assured that their individual life-time warranties and support are intact regardless of our focus change.

I put the last two units of RAVEN in my possesion online here, they will be available for shipping in April after I can access our workshop, reset to factory settings and remount panels for a virginal factory state: https://birdkids.bigcartel.com/product/raven-bundle-02

foliephonics
Common Wiggler

Post by foliephonics » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:07 am

synonymist wrote:
[...] and one Unicorn BOOM with an alternative faceplate.
Oooooooh ! :goo:
Mike ? :hail:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:37 pm

foliephonics wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:07 am
synonymist wrote:
[...] and one Unicorn BOOM with an alternative faceplate.
Oooooooh ! :goo:
Mike ? :hail:
It's doable, but tricky ... not sure when the printers go back online tbh

cityz3n
Common Wiggler

Post by cityz3n » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:51 pm

birdkid wrote:
pekbro wrote:

So sorry to hear this...
I am lucky enough to own one.
And it’s my favorite module.
It sounds incredible and has tons of balls and character though it can act very subtle and tender.
I love it and will most likely never part with it.
Cheers! Wish you all the best Mike.
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:09 pm

cityz3n wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:51 pm
birdkid wrote:
pekbro wrote:

So sorry to hear this...
It sounds incredible and has tons of balls and character though it can act very subtle and tender.
:headbang: thank you all :loves:

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 pm

birdkid wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:09 pm
cityz3n wrote:
birdkid wrote:
pekbro wrote:

So sorry to hear this...
+N^n, ditto all. Mad respect for fellow iconoclasts who put vision before max profit. I unfortunately actually have mine up for sale right now due to financial hardship from extended unemployment exacerbated by pandemic, and through quirks of living in a different country than I was last working, so far not collecting a single dollar of unemployment benefits, but maybe that will change with upcoming programs. We'll see, maybe I'll be able to keep it, but anyone who wants to go for one, now is your chance on Reverb..

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:59 am

chaosick wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 pm
birdkid wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:09 pm
cityz3n wrote:
birdkid wrote:
pekbro wrote:

So sorry to hear this...
+N^n, ditto all. Mad respect for fellow iconoclasts who put vision before max profit. I unfortunately actually have mine up for sale right now due to financial hardship from extended unemployment exacerbated by pandemic, and through quirks of living in a different country than I was last working, so far not collecting a single dollar of unemployment benefits, but maybe that will change with upcoming programs. We'll see, maybe I'll be able to keep it, but anyone who wants to go for one, now is your chance on Reverb..
Dear chaosick,
I feel you! It seems like many people's countries let them down - FWIW I feel Austria (where we're from) is doing a decent job, and prioritizing the people. Whoever is in the position of having to sell their bk gear now, feel free to fwd. me your links, I will be happy to spread them over our socials (FB/IG/Twitter) via the contact form: http://birdkids.org/contact/

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Definitely the pandemic situation is making things difficult for us all, despite my complaining, if not for being out of work,
I would definitely buy one of the two Ravens put up on the Big Cartel site. Absolutely, the thought is appreciated. If they
are still there when I am "theoretically" supposed to be able to go back to work in 5 weeks or so, I will buy one for sure.

Best of luck to everyone during this crisis...

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:42 am

pekbro wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 pm
Definitely the pandemic situation is making things difficult for us all, despite my complaining, if not for being out of work,
I would definitely buy one of the two Ravens put up on the Big Cartel site. Absolutely, the thought is appreciated. If they
are still there when I am "theoretically" supposed to be able to go back to work in 5 weeks or so, I will buy one for sure.

Best of luck to everyone during this crisis...
:tu: or maybe even get one 2nd-hand from one of the sellers who currently need the support, I see ourselves as a company, regardless of who carries the blow, so let's put the people first - if the moderators have no problem with that, I'll be happy to make yours more visible - let's get through this together :sb:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”