Schlappi Engineering - Angle Grinder

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:40 am

This thing makes unearthly sounds. What the fuck is happening in my ears?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:45 pm

I just got mine and gave it a go. This thing is great. It can get pretty intense. I still have no clue what I'm doing, but I'm enjoying it.

[video][/video]

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 pm

ooooooooo! that is PRETTY suh! way more melodic and planned out than my first jiggle butt swap at the 2 Schlappi's -

[video][/video]
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:37 pm

Also, this is easily my favorite module over the last year +, probably decade.
GET ONE!!
...and just got the Interstellar Radio, very impressive!!
I love the brushed panels, and gorgeous graphics.
Last edited by thetwlo on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:23 pm

behndy
Thanks. Ha, although, not premeditated at all. Grayscale Permutation was sequencing. I love that/Turing Machine.

Sounds good man! That thing can get so intense. I love it.

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:20 am

[video][/video]

rytm through angle grinder + miasma

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:58 am

Time to revive the angle grinder thread!

I am, like all of us here, a great fan of the Grinder module,buuut I was wondering, if there is a way to calibrate the thing. Cause I am able to make it track a lot better by applying a little bit of inverted, attenuated pitch cv to the fm input, losing said input and also using up a channel of Maths to do so.

But since it is quite steady then, I wondered, if there was a way to adjust the tracking?

I couldn't find anything though...

Anyone? Mr. Schlappi himself maybe? As soon, as I can afford a new case, I will get the Interstellar Radio as well :bananaguitar:

ablearcher
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ablearcher » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:36 am

Hi! The Angle Grinder should track quite solidly over roughly 4 to 5 octaves(without any tricks), if it doesn't, send me an email (eric at schlappiengineering.com). I can send you the calibration procedure or calibrate it myself if you want to send it to me.

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:44 pm

Yeah, here are some more reasons to buy this wonderful machine for everyone:

After Eric, the designer, kindly and quickly pointed out to me, that the FM1 knob has to be turned down all the way, when nothing is plugged into the FM1 jack, because the Grind Out is normalled to it, my Angle Grinder does indeed track just fine over 4 octaves plus. (so should the Osc and damp knobs, btw).

Wonderful. Kind, quick, direct support and a flawless module that still mystifies me in all the good ways.

LunaticSound
Common Wiggler

Re: Schlappi Engineering - Angle Grinder

Post by LunaticSound » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 am

Actually, I want a stereo Grinder just for drums (in every single song that is not a ballad)...
WTB: ARC ANN

Cutyourface
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cutyourface » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Just got my new angle grinder (purchased new from pc). Love it but am running into some weird issues that make me think I may have accidentally been sent a defective unit or potentially abused floor model... all of the inputs react normal to patch cables except FM 1... in most cases it makes a crazy sound in between when full contact occurs with the cable and when it’s fully pushed in, occasionally the desired functionality only occurs during that in between moment and it stops reacting to cv once the cable is pushed in all the way. Additionally (and this could just be a matter of getting to know the module better), sometimes bringing up a slider will completely stop any signal coming from the sine wave outs. This even occurs at really basic settings which leads me to believe it might be an issue rather than learning curve. Last odd thing, there were no screws included in the box... totally not a big deal, but in combo with the above makes me think something is off. Can anyone clarify if this sounds like a defective unit I should exchange or if these are just quirks?

ablearcher
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ablearcher » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:00 pm

Cutyourface wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:25 pm
Just got my new angle grinder (purchased new from pc). Love it but am running into some weird issues that make me think I may have accidentally been sent a defective unit or potentially abused floor model... all of the inputs react normal to patch cables except FM 1... in most cases it makes a crazy sound in between when full contact occurs with the cable and when it’s fully pushed in, occasionally the desired functionality only occurs during that in between moment and it stops reacting to cv once the cable is pushed in all the way. Additionally (and this could just be a matter of getting to know the module better), sometimes bringing up a slider will completely stop any signal coming from the sine wave outs. This even occurs at really basic settings which leads me to believe it might be an issue rather than learning curve. Last odd thing, there were no screws included in the box... totally not a big deal, but in combo with the above makes me think something is off. Can anyone clarify if this sounds like a defective unit I should exchange or if these are just quirks?
Hi! Feel free to email me directly (eric at schlappiengineering dot com). It sounds maybe like the FM jack is defective? If the jack is an issue you can exchange with PC or send it to me and I will replace it.

As far as the sliders go you generally want to start with the GRIND - > SPIN and DAMPING knobs fully counter clockwise. In that case the oscillator is independent of what is happening with the wave shape (grind sliders). If the DAMPING knob is turned to the right it may stop self oscillating (so that it can be used as a filter) and once the GRIND -> SPIN is turned up the waveshaping section is fed into the oscillator and it all gets unpredictable, as all four sliders become feedback paths which can interfere with each other and the self-oscillation, which is more useful when you are feeding an external signal into the IN.

We haven't been including screws (none of the Darkplace manufactured brands do as far as I know), because of all the different types of cases (one of my cases uses 2.5mm, the other 3mm), but I guess we could if that is something that is important to people?

Cutyourface
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cutyourface » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Thanks for the quick response, the only thing I was confident was a real issue was the FM pot as by design I know it’s supposed to be pretty wild. I’ll just do a replacement through pc. As far as the screws, total non issue and was only a red flag because of the other problem. Thanks again for the detailed response!

ege.gonul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ege.gonul » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:02 am

This module is the dopest thing, and it's all analog. Godddamnnn, it's one click away to switch my diet to all month-long fasting.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:14 pm

It is fun playing with this module and there is definetly a lot to explore. I hope to being able to get out of this module more tamed sounds but at the moment it feels like a very handy, flexible Oscillator/Waveshaper.

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:09 pm

This is a fantastic module! Everything Eric has put out has exceeded my expectations. Great job, please keep it up!

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Sugar and Salt
(dichotomous)

First usage of Schlappi Engineering Angle Grinder and Interstellar Radio

Orthogonal Devices ER-101/102 driven by MI Marbles, feeding Random Source New Timbral Oscillator and MN Mysteron

WMD Metron (internal clock; not master)

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:51 am

love this module. overdriven resonant LPF sounds disgusting.

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:24 pm

I recently got one of these too after watching demos. It is going in to an expansion rack that I don’t have yet (next week eta) .. really looking forward to trying it out. On a side note, those knobs feel great!
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:47 am

How well do people like Angle Grinder as a filter without the Grind section, or keeping Grind subtle? I'm thinking this could replace one of my filters while offering me more utility and fun :)

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:59 am

starthief wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:47 am
How well do people like Angle Grinder as a filter without the Grind section, or keeping Grind subtle? I'm thinking this could replace one of my filters while offering me more utility and fun :)
if you're using it as an LPF, you would use the LPF signal out rather than the grind out. The grind out (to my knowledge) only adds harmonics, and the individual filter-type outlets do the filtering. I can't recall what the LPF outlet sounds like when you mess with the grind -> spin knob, as i don't have my rack with me at the moment. I would test this out for you, but i won't be back home for a while.

I haven't played with many LPFs, but it's my favorite-sounding so far. I always use it on bass sounds, even at high resonance.

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Fantastic module. I use it in an effects loop of my Erica Synths VCF2. Sounds amazing.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri May 08, 2020 7:38 am

OK, important question: black panel or silver panel? :hihi:

From photos the black panel looks a little less easy to read (not that there's a lot of reading necessary) but I know photos are usually not the whole truth.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Fri May 08, 2020 3:37 pm

starthief wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:38 am
OK, important question: black panel or silver panel? :hihi:

From photos the black panel looks a little less easy to read (not that there's a lot of reading necessary) but I know photos are usually not the whole truth.
one of each.

mmelnick
No melody, no harmony

Post by mmelnick » Fri May 08, 2020 3:59 pm

I love mine. I want another one.
matthewmelnick.com
metrono.me
bloodofazombie.com
darksidenyc.com
myworld.ebay.com/brooklyn_collectables

Return to “Eurorack Modules”