Schlappi Engineering - Angle Grinder

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Schlappi Engineering - Angle Grinder

Post by starthief » Thu May 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Mine arrived today and I freaking love it. It's pretty great as a filter, I love its tone with the grind section, it's fantastic with other oscillators driving various things. I've also gotten "toy with dying batteries" sounds, sudden octave jumps from small changes to Grind, weird chirpy noises, self-pinging filter noises and all kinds of mayhem out of it already. :love:

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Thu May 14, 2020 7:18 pm

starthief wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:05 pm
Mine arrived today and I freaking love it. It's pretty great as a filter, I love its tone with the grind section, it's fantastic with other oscillators driving various things. I've also gotten "toy with dying batteries" sounds, sudden octave jumps from small changes to Grind, weird chirpy noises, self-pinging filter noises and all kinds of mayhem out of it already. :love:
Glad you like it! It always has a home in my patches.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:55 pm

recently picked one of these up and have been loving it as much as I expected to. the only thing that I feel is "missing" is a global VCA that governs the amplitude of all the grind feedback paths. like how on the Hertz Donut MkIII there's a single "index" control over the entire modulation bus, which scales everything you've set up in it in terms of operators' contributions to FM and phase distortion, or on the DPO where the FM index sets the level of the two oscillators' linear and/or exponential FM of each other.

have I missed or failed to envision some way of patching this with Angle Grinder?

granted it's a lot more flexible and interesting to have access to each of the four feedback paths' amplitudes, but without a "global grind feedback index" to use as a VC "macro" control, I could see it being a little difficult to reign in more involved patches

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:59 pm

You could patch a DC offset > 1:4 mult > all 4 grind sliders. That would give you a macro to control all 4. Lots of modules offer DC offset, for example Mutable Blinds.

I don't think it'll get you great results though. The interactions between the 4 feedback paths are highly unpredictable. But I'll try it out later.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm

yeah, I was thinking about that -- a negative DC offset to defeat the sliders' positions or recover them when the offset is increased to 0V (e.g. with the help of an envelope or sequencer). would probably want to insert 1-4 unity mixers in between the DC offset and the 4 feedback level inputs, so you're not entirely giving up individual voltage control over them.

I guess some normalization of the CV across the inputs would be handy but not desirable in many cases. like ... if a positive DC offset was normalled to the first grind CV input, and whatever is patched into a grind CV input normalled it across the adjacent CV inputs. and the sliders acted as attenuators for the normalled offset or patched in CV.

well, whatever, it's an analog module and a beautiful one so no point in speculating about stuff like this ;)

Stice
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stice » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:02 am

I just have to say, this thing is incredibly stable. It's never more than a few cents off when I turn it on, and once tuned it doesn't drift. At all.

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:23 pm

Stice wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:02 am
I just have to say, this thing is incredibly stable. It's never more than a few cents off when I turn it on, and once tuned it doesn't drift. At all.
Welcome to the Church of Schlappi!

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:13 pm

yeah, the stability and precision in these things (I speak only from experience of Angle Grinder and 100 Grit) is really remarkable given how insane they are when you choose for them to lose their shit. how many other absolute feedback monsters have a fine tune knob and endless permutations of feedback flavors?

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:58 pm

Is there a new batch in the works? All I can find are questionable pre-orders.

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:23 pm

scragz wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:58 pm
Bought mine here last week, and still in stock: https://cymrubeats.com/product/schlappi ... e-grinder/

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:05 pm

AXN wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:23 pm
scragz wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:58 pm
Bought mine here last week, and still in stock: https://cymrubeats.com/product/schlappi ... e-grinder/
Awesome, thanks for the tip! Never seen this site before.

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:32 pm

You’re welcome.

ablearcher
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ablearcher » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:47 am

Just wanted to say there -is- a new batch in the works (along with the 100 Grit and Interstellar Radio). I'm optimistically shooting for late November or early December to have Angle Grinders in stock again.

Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:00 pm

still trying to find sweet spots here...

dangayle
Common Wiggler

Post by dangayle » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:41 pm

I've been using my Angle Grinder as a bit of a drone machine, and the unpredictable nature of the different slider combinations makes this thing such a blast to play. The way it feedbacks and stutters and glitches at different settings is just so much fun. Not for the faint of heart.

I'm definitely having more fun with it as an oscillator than as a filter or waveshaper or quadrature LFO, but it seems like everyone has their favorite uses for it.

dvdmllr
Common Wiggler

Post by dvdmllr » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:00 am

ablearcher wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:47 am
Just wanted to say there -is- a new batch in the works (along with the 100 Grit and Interstellar Radio). I'm optimistically shooting for late November or early December to have Angle Grinders in stock again.
Any update on the next batch of Angle Grinders? What date were you pessimistically shooting for? ;)

Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:55 am

dangayle wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:41 pm
I've been using my Angle Grinder as a bit of a drone machine, and the unpredictable nature of the different slider combinations makes this thing such a blast to play. The way it feedbacks and stutters and glitches at different settings is just so much fun. Not for the faint of heart.

I'm definitely having more fun with it as an oscillator than as a filter or waveshaper or quadrature LFO, but it seems like everyone has their favorite uses for it.
I just found out that he can handle multiples saws harmonies very well. First time I actually used it like a filter/waveshaper.

nodog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nodog » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:47 pm

dvdmllr wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:00 am
ablearcher wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:47 am
Any update on the next batch of Angle Grinders? What date were you pessimistically shooting for? ;)
Waiting for over half a year trying to get this now. I know Schlappi can take it's time as much as it needs and doesn't owe me anything but if possible, an update would indeed be very welcome. Cheers!

ablearcher
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ablearcher » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 pm

Hi all! I'm planning on placing the PCBA orders for the next batch this week, I'll try to remember to update when I get a firm date, mid May is a reasonable expectation.

Sorry for the long wait, I've been getting a lot of messages about these and really appreciate the interest. I had a couple of small tweaks to make but then got lost in the weeds (as well as being busy with R&D on new stuff and production of the other modules), but I finally just tested a revision I am happy with (again)! Thanks again for being into it!

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:01 am

ablearcher wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 pm
Hi all! I'm planning on placing the PCBA orders for the next batch this week, I'll try to remember to update when I get a firm date, mid May is a reasonable expectation . . .
That's awesome, man! Thanks for giving us the update! Your modules are all EXCELLENT!

nodog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nodog » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:37 am

ablearcher wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 pm
Hi all! I'm planning on placing the PCBA orders for the next batch this week, I'll try to remember to update when I get a firm date, mid May is a reasonable expectation.

Sorry for the long wait, I've been getting a lot of messages about these and really appreciate the interest. I had a couple of small tweaks to make but then got lost in the weeds (as well as being busy with R&D on new stuff and production of the other modules), but I finally just tested a revision I am happy with (again)! Thanks again for being into it!
Thank you very much. Best of luck with all your endeavours!

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:16 pm

Will the new Angle Grinders with these “small tweaks” be functionally or audibly different than the initial batch of Angle Grinders?

ablearcher
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ablearcher » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:10 pm

MARK27 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:16 pm
Will the new Angle Grinders with these “small tweaks” be functionally or audibly different than the initial batch of Angle Grinders?
not really! I spent a lot of time trying to make them easier to manufacture without losing the very finely tuned and specific magic that is the Angle Grinder and ended it up not being able to change much.

things you might notice:
slightly different temperature compensation scheme (attempting to make the black blob unneccessary)
dropping expo vs linear fm header for fm1 (linear only and no longer inverted, does anyone ever use jumper modes?)
Low frequency mode lowered slightly (larger capacitor package allows for a larger value of C0G capacitor)

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:30 am

I do wish the grind CV was +/-5v instead of 0-5v but that's more of a me problem... My whole rack is standardized +/-5v so I don't have to remember shit.

ablearcher
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ablearcher » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:48 pm

scragz wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:30 am
I do wish the grind CV was +/-5v instead of 0-5v but that's more of a me problem... My whole rack is standardized +/-5v so I don't have to remember shit.
I'm with you there, but redesigning those VCAs is a large change. I would like all my modules to respond well to negative voltages on all inputs but so far all my experiments with four quadrant vcas (or bipolar vcas or ring mod) end up with fairly involved amounts of circuitry to get something I like, and the Angle Grinder would require four of them.

The CV inputs that are unipolar do all have bias controls (in the case of the GRIND CV that is the sliders) so that you can offset negative voltages until they are positive.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”