4ms Pods

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Just an update on original Pod depth since I took delivery of my third Pod today :party: so now I have a Pod20, Pod26, and Pod32. :hyper:

According to my measurements the usable depth on all three is a little under what is specified on the 4ms site and printed sheets that come with the Pods, which is 34.2 mm. Per my measurements any module that needs 32 mm or under with the power cable attached will fit, under 33 mm might fit, 33 mm and over probably wont fit.

Here's a picture of an older Division6 Multiplicity VI mounted in a Pod26. I modified the module by removing the cascade jacks on the bottom to make it less deep. As it is now, using a power cable without a strain relief the module needs exactly 33 mm of case depth and I had to force a bit of flex to screw it down all the way. (not sure if the edges of the Pod flexed or the module's PCB did, probably a bit of both?) I think I can lose a 1/2 or more of a mm by filing down the power cable connector a bit so that the module will fit comfortably without any pressure? :hmm:

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:36 pm

JohnLRice wrote:Just an update on original Pod depth since I took delivery of my third Pod today :party: so now I have a Pod20, Pod26, and Pod32. :hyper:

According to my measurements the usable depth on all three is a little under what is specified on the 4ms site and printed sheets that come with the Pods, which is 34.2 mm. Per my measurements any module that needs 32 mm or under with the power cable attached will fit, under 33 mm might fit, 33 mm and over probably wont fit.
Good to know information there... was thinking about getting a 32 for some controller modules but looks like I better get some detailed module depth numbers first. :hmm:

BTW John; really great job on the current draw diagram. Don't think I've seen it done any more clearly even in textbooks.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

vailsy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vailsy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 pm

hermbot wrote:Can anyone confirm Epoch modular's Benjolin or Twinpeak modules fitting in the normal pods? Modulargrid has them listed as 22 mm, and the pods say they are good for 32 mm, but when I take a tape measure to my Twinpeak I'm skeptical...
No Benjolin is way deeper than stated on modulargrid and does not fit unfortunately

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Phitar wrote:BTW John; really great job on the current draw diagram. Don't think I've seen it done any more clearly even in textbooks.
Thanks much! 8-)

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:05 pm

Not meaning to derail but this might be of some to some:

From a conditioned power pov it will be scorned but it is an alternative solution. Its from the Peli micro case series.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

St0rMl0rD
Common Wiggler

Post by St0rMl0rD » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:31 am

Still no word on availability, eh

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:24 am

Multi Grooves wrote:Not meaning to derail but this might be of some to some:

From a conditioned power pov it will be scorned but it is an alternative solution. Its from the Peli micro case series.
Not passing scorn, just an honest question. Why wouldn't you just go for an external oscilloscope?

presidentofvice
Common Wiggler

Post by presidentofvice » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:17 pm

Just switched my little drum case over from an Erica Pico case to a Pod 48x and couldn't be happier.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:20 pm

presidentofvice wrote:Just switched my little drum case over from an Erica Pico case to a Pod 48x and couldn't be happier.

:love: Looks great! :tu:

hermbot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hermbot » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Who has the X in stock?

presidentofvice
Common Wiggler

Post by presidentofvice » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:12 pm

hermbot wrote:Who has the X in stock?
I had a pre-order at Control. Looks like they are sold out of the powered 48x now, but they have the 40x as of this moment.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:12 pm

I made a little 32HP bass synth. I prefer smaller cases, no bigger than 104 HP, that are devoted to a single instrument or function. Overall, these groupings improve my workflow.

mrfang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrfang » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:34 pm

hermbot wrote:Who has the X in stock?
Several dealers have both the 40X and 48X in stock, including Control Voltage!
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Bastl Knit Rider, ARC Artificial Neural Network, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, Bastl SoftPop, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400.

hermbot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hermbot » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:02 pm

I just put in an order at Detroit Modular, they said the should have the X's by the end of the week.

bandenoire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bandenoire » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:53 pm

I wish I would have read through all 15 pages on this forum before pulling the trigger on buying one of these. I thought for sure that the 4ms VCAm would surely fit reading from the printed dimensions on 4ms’ website but that’s a big nope. Did they test any of their line of modules to see if they would fit in these?

bandenoire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bandenoire » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:01 pm

Just realized my mistake. I have version one of the matrix vca and it’s version two that is slimmed down.
So is it true they’re going to make deeper cases? It couldn’t hurt to add an extra 10-20 mm

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:11 pm

bandenoire wrote:Just realized my mistake. I have version one of the matrix vca and it’s version two that is slimmed down.
So is it true they’re going to make deeper cases? It couldn’t hurt to add an extra 10-20 mm
They have already released a deeper version.

St0rMl0rD
Common Wiggler

Post by St0rMl0rD » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:55 pm

Preordered my 48X at Schneider's, they say 2 weeks or so...Can't wait!! :omg:

bandenoire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bandenoire » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:51 am

cackland wrote:
bandenoire wrote:Just realized my mistake. I have version one of the matrix vca and it’s version two that is slimmed down.
They have already released a deeper version.
That’s a shame. I assume this is the newest one since I got it on backprder from perfect circuit this week. Still just a bit too skinny if you ask me. There’s no way a VCA Matrix MK I will ever fit in there.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:55 am

presidentofvice wrote:Just switched my little drum case over from an Erica Pico case to a Pod 48x and couldn't be happier.

Same here and FYI a POD 48X fits perfectly on the top right of a Nord Electro 5D 8-)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:20 am

St0rMl0rD wrote:Preordered my 48X at Schneider's, they say 2 weeks or so...Can't wait!! :omg:
That's great news. I want to get one as soon as possible!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Post by kpreid » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:34 am

bandenoire wrote:I assume this is the newest one since I got it on backprder from perfect circuit this week.
No, the deeper versions are not a design revision; they are different models. Look for Pod40X and Pod48X; the X indicates the deeper size. Yes, they're also different widths.

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Post by ForAiur » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:49 am

Does it matter which of the barrel jacks I use for the power brick? Because I mounted my Hermod upside down so now the closeste barrel jaqck is the one that would be labeled "additional - for daisy-chaining pods". I accidentiliy connected that one twice already but nothing bad happened .... so could it go wrong?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:18 pm

ForAiur wrote:Does it matter which of the barrel jacks I use for the power brick? Because I mounted my Hermod upside down so now the closeste barrel jaqck is the one that would be labeled "additional - for daisy-chaining pods". I accidentiliy connected that one twice already but nothing bad happened .... so could it go wrong?
I don't think it matters at all but a confirmation from 4ms would be nice. As far as I can tell it's just a simple parallel pass through.

mrfang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrfang » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:42 pm

Using either DC barrel jack is fine.

Also, the modern (black PCB) version of the VCAM does fit in the shallower Pods (20, 26, 32, or 60hp), but the older (green PCB) version does not.

FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, Bastl Knit Rider, ARC Artificial Neural Network, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Dewanatron Swarmatron, Bastl SoftPop, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”