4ms Pods

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu May 02, 2019 1:56 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:Anyone can tell me if there is any kind of hole/handle on the back or on the bottom, something I can use to attach some kind of leg, and make the Pod stay a little upright? Alternatively, if the metal looks easy enough to drill without ruining it. Thanks.
On the non-powered Pods you could use the holes where the DC input jacks go. On the powered Pods probably only the 32 hp size and up would have room to drill a hole to attach a leg. (they would probably be very easy to drill if you have the tools and skills)

What I might suggest it to use Velcro on the back of the Pod and then put the opposite half of the Velcro on a wooden wedge or other support? That way you can get it at the angle you want without any drilling etc. I'm working on a configuration right now where I'm going to mount several Pods to a guitar pedal board:

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Thu May 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks @JohnLRice for the detailed info and picture. Yes, I'm looking at 40X and 48X powered pods, so there should be enough space. I'll consider the velcro option.

I see from their website that the Pods come with four adhesive rubber feet included: are they supposed to be stick on the back, where you put the velcro? Are they long strips, or just small circles?

Thank you very much.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu May 02, 2019 5:10 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:Thanks @JohnLRice for the detailed info and picture. Yes, I'm looking at 40X and 48X powered pods, so there should be enough space. I'll consider the velcro option.

I see from their website that the Pods come with four adhesive rubber feet included: are they supposed to be stick on the back, where you put the velcro? Are they long strips, or just small circles?

Thank you very much.
I didn't apply the rubber feet, I just bought some Velcro/"hook and loop" strips made for guitar pedals and applied it to the Pods. If you look close at the picture I posted you'll see that the Velcro is already on the Pods. There are several brands available, here's a couple:

On-Stage HL4000
https://on-stage.com/products/view/12976

Pedaltrain PT-OHL-10
https://pedaltrain.com/products/pt-ohl-10

And here's something that I just noticed the you or others might want to try to give their Pods a gentle slope? The PedalTrain pedal boosters might work well if Velcro is used to attach the Pod to the booster and then use the rubber feet that come with the Pod are put on the bottom of the booster? :hmm: I haven't tried this so I can't say if it will work well or not.
https://pedaltrain.com/products/pedaltr ... 9556616070

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Thu May 02, 2019 7:00 pm

JohnLRice wrote:If you look close at the picture I posted you'll see that the Velcro is already on the Pods.
Yes, I saw it, I was just asking what's the shape of the included rubber, and if it's supposed to be stick where you stick the velcro instead.

The pedal support idea is great, if the rubber provides enough friction, it could be surely a "cleaner" and more versatile alternative to the velcro. Maybe also small laptop stands could be used effectively.

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Post by kpreid » Thu May 02, 2019 8:22 pm

The included rubber feet are just standard stick-on rubber feet — there are no holes or recesses for them. All the sides are completely smooth other than the DC jacks on the top edge.

vailsy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vailsy » Thu May 02, 2019 9:19 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:Anyone can tell me if there is any kind of hole/handle on the back or on the bottom, something I can use to attach some kind of leg, and make the Pod stay a little upright? Alternatively, if the metal looks easy enough to drill without ruining it. Thanks.
Not what you are asking, but for info I find some of the kvgear racks very useful with pods. At least for the 60hp one the Roland boutique boo-1 stand is the right size and allows another pod to fit neatly in front of it. Also I just noticed they do ramp racks which have a raised section at the front and look perfect for pods, the depth being 6’’ :

https://kvgear.com/t/boutique-stuff

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu May 02, 2019 10:56 pm

vailsy wrote:
Not what you are asking, but for info I find some of the kvgear racks very useful with pods. At least for the 60hp one the Roland boutique boo-1 stand is the right size and allows another pod to fit neatly in front of it. Also I just noticed they do ramp racks which have a raised section at the front and look perfect for pods, the depth being 6’’ :

https://kvgear.com/t/boutique-stuff
Nice find! :tu:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri May 03, 2019 7:02 am

Almost done with my latest contraption! :party: Two Pod26's and two Pod32's fit perfectly onto a PedalTrain Metro 24 guitar pedal board plus Haken ContinuuMini synth mounted on a custom elevated deck. Several mods done to the pedal board, mainly to add taller rubber feet so I could mount the power brick for the Pods underneath and of course the supports for the “deck” the ContinuuMini sits on. Still need to do a couple more minor mods and I’m waiting on a couple more modules and parts.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri May 03, 2019 7:40 am

Brilliant. Simply brilliant!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri May 03, 2019 8:39 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Brilliant. Simply brilliant!
Thank you kind sir! :hug:

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Fri May 03, 2019 8:46 am

I think a small powered pod might be nice as a little controller to sit on your lap/desk. Maybe with a joystick and Addac's manual gates in it.
Avant Garde a clue

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat May 04, 2019 1:08 am

I was just pondering/wishing that the larger Pods, like 32 hp and up, had a USB connector on the back for conveniently powering small devices like keyboards/controllers, goose-neck lamps, phones/tablets, and maybe even a Haken ContinuuMini? :mrgreen:

pablowdadon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pablowdadon » Sat May 04, 2019 7:37 am

Feedback about expert sleepers on pod 40x or 48x?
Anyone ?

hermbot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hermbot » Sat May 11, 2019 11:11 am

I love this box.

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Tue May 14, 2019 9:43 am

Finally got myself a pod60. I really like it! Feels like a macbook-air version of euro skiff. I get it why they didn’t want to create a pod60x now, when that would be more suitable for the smaller pods.

A couple customer suggestions for the 4MS crew:

1. I got a little problem when I was trying to put some module in the middle section of the pod60. I feel the width of the module placement could be more precise. I need to squeeze the pod pretty hard with one hand while the other hand trying to make the M3 screw fit into the hole of my module’s panel thru the pod’s threaded holes.
Maybe the holes could be made into a vertical rounded rectangle rather than just a plain circle to accommodate this issue. Because I believe some of the module manufacturers have even more shorter faceplate panel like Mannequins.

2. Extra power header for the pod60. While 4 headers feels enough for the smaller pods, I think 5-6 power headers for the 60 is very reasonable.
I know we can buy additional multi power ribbon cable, but since it already has really shallow depth, the multi power ribbon could be a hassle.

:tu:

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:36 am

I'm downsizing a bit, and wanted to better utilize my pods. Two questions:

1. Has anyone come up with a simple and elegant solution to mount two pods bottom to bottom, like a 6U 60hp skiff, that does not involve a pedal board and does not increase the length or width?

2. If mounted bottom to bottom, is the long barrel cable long enough to reach around and connect them? If not, is there another product that can?

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 am

You could probably just use a piece of plywood cut-to-size, with velcro on it, to mount them bottom to bottom. Or drill holes for screws, for something more permanent/sturdy.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Shakespeare wrote:You could probably just use a piece of plywood cut-to-size, with velcro on it, to mount them bottom to bottom. Or drill holes for screws, for something more permanent/sturdy.
More elegant than plywood :). What is the thinnest material that is rigid enough to support them, presumably held in place by something like really strong double sided mounting tape?

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:54 pm

Is there anything special about the 4ms barrel connector, or can I use this longer one?:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... le-18-inch

mrfang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrfang » Wed May 15, 2019 4:40 pm

The 2.1mm barrel cable from Sweetwater should work!
FS/T: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), Malekko Manther Growl, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak, Synthrotek ECHO, Bastl Knit Rider, ARC Artificial Neural Network.
FT: 4ms SWN, STS, DLD, SMR, Tapographic Delay.
WTB/T: LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:18 pm

mrfang wrote:The 2.1mm barrel cable from Sweetwater should work!
That’s good. I actually just went into one of my cable drawers and found what looks to be the same one!

Now I’m thinking of grabbing a metal A4 size clipboard and some Gorilla mounting tape. Pull off the clip and it is a little under the size of two 48x pods. Hopefully that holds.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Hey check it out Pod owners that use ModularGrid! The depth sorting search has been enhanced so that only modules with an actual depth value are included in the results and the module depth is now shown next to the HP value! :sb: :goo: :party: :yay:

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Sat May 18, 2019 12:13 pm

That is a welcome update.
Avant Garde a clue

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Sat May 18, 2019 12:26 pm

Okay so this is the solution for inching my way back into Euro. :guinness:
Just made a bunch of stepping stones in MG. easily the only way to bypass the wife :sb:
SunSpots

propertyof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by propertyof » Sun May 19, 2019 10:51 am

Just managed a lil hack to put a pretty deep module into my pod60 using nylon spacer nut. Here’s the result...

Not too bad I’d say for a holiday case :grin:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”