4ms Pods

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
guigui wrote:I contacted 4ms guys to know about some modules compatibility with Pod X and they said that they are planning to release some even deeper versions
I'd be curious to know what widths they plan on also, if there will be anything longer than 60hp.
https://4mscompany.com/eurocase/manual/ ... al-v3a.pdf

Module depth:
• Pod20/26/32/60: 34mm (1.34”)
• Pod40X/48X: 50mm (1.95”)
• Pod34X/64X: 55mm (2.16”)

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:58 pm

Rene 2 in a 40x pod should be ok, right guys?

SnowConePeople
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SnowConePeople » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:08 pm

zerodivide wrote:Rene 2 in a 40x pod should be ok, right guys?
The 4ms Pod 40x has 51mm of depth. Rene 2 requires 24mm of depth.

It will fit.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:33 pm

cliffemu wrote:
Jason Brock wrote:
guigui wrote:I contacted 4ms guys to know about some modules compatibility with Pod X and they said that they are planning to release some even deeper versions
I'd be curious to know what widths they plan on also, if there will be anything longer than 60hp.
https://4mscompany.com/eurocase/manual/ ... al-v3a.pdf

Module depth:
• Pod20/26/32/60: 34mm (1.34”)
• Pod40X/48X: 50mm (1.95”)
• Pod34X/64X: 55mm (2.16”)

Yea! Now I don't have to sell off my Rene v1 for crazy low. 34x will fit it perfectly and not tempt me with additional module purchases!

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:18 am

SnowConePeople wrote:
zerodivide wrote:Rene 2 in a 40x pod should be ok, right guys?
The 4ms Pod 40x has 51mm of depth. Rene 2 requires 24mm of depth.

It will fit.
Sorry should have been more clear. I know Rene is power hungry. was more asking about whether there's enough juice to power it without issues.
Also speaking of depth, how come there's only a 40x pod but no 40 pod that's the more shallow depth ? I would actually prefer it to be the size of the 32. Not this tall

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:27 am

zerodivide wrote: Sorry should have been more clear. I know Rene is power hungry. was more asking about whether there's enough juice to power it without issues.
Rene 2 needs 235mA on the -12V rail, the pod 40x says it provides 1.4A, so you should be more than good with that.

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:48 am

Hey, i´m on the verge of getting the unpowered pod 60, and populate it with a DIY power solution.
It only has to power my Percussa SSP so no need for heavy duty power.

Any suggestions on good (they dont crash and burn easily) power solutions that i can build? I´m fairly experienced with soldering so difficulty can be medium to hard but i would prefer it being on the cheaper side of things.

8-)

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:06 pm

defalut wrote:Hey, i´m on the verge of getting the unpowered pod 60, and populate it with a DIY power solution.

Any suggestions on good (they dont crash and burn easily) power solutions that i can build? I´m fairly experienced with soldering so difficulty can be medium to hard but i would prefer it being on the cheaper side of things.

8-)
If I had a Percussa SSP ; which if I recall correctly is quite pricey; I would want it connected to a to a decent power supply and not a bottom of the barrel DIY cost saving one. Just my opin
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

AnalogOutput
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AnalogOutput » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:16 pm

I think the module is too deep for the regular 60 but I do think they have a deeper one in that size range coming soon.

Erica Linear kit
Last edited by AnalogOutput on Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:19 pm

AnalogOutput wrote:Erica Linear kit
Does that fit in a pod with room left for modules?
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

AnalogOutput
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AnalogOutput » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:28 pm

You are probably right looking at the pic. I was thinking linear supply DIY at the second more than anything on that suggestion. Not sure the module would fit the standard depth ones?

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:54 am

Phitar wrote:
defalut wrote:Hey, i´m on the verge of getting the unpowered pod 60, and populate it with a DIY power solution.

8-)
If I had a Percussa SSP ; which if I recall correctly is quite pricey; I would want it connected to a to a decent power supply and not a bottom of the barrel DIY cost saving one. Just my opin
Of course, i wouldn´t go and pick up the cheapest i can find. I wrote that i need it to be good but wouldn´t mind on the cheaper side aswell. This narrows it down to:

1. good power solutions, by default in my experience they are usually more pricey
2. having filtered it down to "good" units, i´d like to have recommendations for units where while they are considered good, they wont empty your bank account

For example, in my (now sold) rack i had a couple of pretty expensive VCO modules. E370, E352, HzDonut3, 4ms SWN, Instruo Cs-L and so on.. They were all powered by a uZeus which i consider quite on the cheap side but still good enough. Now, i power my SSP with it and that´s fine by me. I don´t need anything with gold-plated connections that you have to preorder and wait 5 years to get (like the Natural Gate for example).

I need something that´s reliable and with enough punch to power the SSP, that´s all.
I realise i might have been a bit unclear in my previous post and apologise for any misunderstandings. I hope it´s more obvious now what i´m looking for.

Edit: changed my mind, read the post below before replying to this one. :roll:
Last edited by defalut on Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:00 am

AnalogOutput wrote:I think the module is too deep for the regular 60 but I do think they have a deeper one in that size range coming soon.

Erica Linear kit
Thanks for your suggestion, i´ll consider it. I didn´t realise a pod60x might be coming.

Also, if the total amount of the diy power supply plus the unpowered pod60 (or 60x) is close to the cost for a powered unit, i will forget the whole DIY idea and just go buy the powered one.

No point in going DIY unless i can save a decent buck by doing it.

The difference between powered and unpowered at Thonk is about £50 i think. Now, when i follow up on the Erica PSU ad add my details, select shipping option and get everything added up together with VAT, suddenly it´s more expensive to go the DIY route! Not by much, only around €5, but still.

Oh well, it was a nice thought anyway. :doh: No DIY for me, i will go with the powered pod 60, it will save me both time and money and it will save you the bother of reading my posts and suggesting stuff to buy. :oops:

AnalogOutput
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 4ms Pods

Post by AnalogOutput » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:09 pm

The new size PodX models are now listed on the site as available. With the 34x and 64x at 55mm depth.

https://4mscompany.com/podsoverview.php

morgulbee
Common Wiggler

Post by morgulbee » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:42 pm

AnalogOutput wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:09 pm
The new size PodX models are now listed on the site as available. With the 34x and 64x at 55mm depth.

https://4mscompany.com/podsoverview.php
Great news! Expert Sleepers owners rejoice! :party:

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:00 am

So, my Pod 48X powered just arrived today, and I'm a little puzzled (and panicking, because I'm planning to travel with it in a weeks' time):

What is up with the rail spacing? Pico modules don't fit in it - you can only screw in one lip, and the other doesn't fit.

Additionally, I got the 90W 4MS power brick.. and the barrel connector is incredibly loose. Like, if it's hanging upside down, will fall out loose - that applies for the Pod 48X, a Row Power 40, and a Palette. They're all 2.1mm/5.5mm barrel ports.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:10 am

versipellis wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:00 am
So, my Pod 48X powered just arrived today, and I'm a little puzzled (and panicking, because I'm planning to travel with it in a weeks' time):

What is up with the rail spacing? Pico modules don't fit in it - you can only screw in one lip, and the other doesn't fit.

Additionally, I got the 90W 4MS power brick.. and the barrel connector is incredibly loose. Like, if it's hanging upside down, will fall out loose - that applies for the Pod 48X, a Row Power 40, and a Palette. They're all 2.1mm/5.5mm barrel ports.
In fact... None of my modules I'm trying to put fit it (Hydronium, Pico Voice, Make Noise blank, 106 Chorus). Only my Sinc Bucina fits, and that's a module that's got a pretty tall panel.

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Post by kpreid » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:13 am

versipellis wrote:
The only thing keeping the top and bottom rails in relative position is four sheet-metal bends, so the fit is not particularly precise. Some of my Pods have this problem and some don't.

Gently squeeze the case so the holes line up and you can put the second screw in. Once you have at least one top-and-bottom pair of screws in, the rest should be easier, though you'll still want a bit of pressure to get them started easily without any crossthreading.

That doesn't sound normal — I would guess that power brick has a 2.5 mm i.d. plug, even if it's supposed to be a 4ms power system brick. (To check, find a device with a 2.5mm jack and confirm that the plug _doesn't_ fit.)

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:27 am

kpreid wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:13 am
versipellis wrote:
The only thing keeping the top and bottom rails in relative position is four sheet-metal bends, so the fit is not particularly precise. Some of my Pods have this problem and some don't.

Gently squeeze the case so the holes line up and you can put the second screw in. Once you have at least one top-and-bottom pair of screws in, the rest should be easier, though you'll still want a bit of pressure to get them started easily without any crossthreading.

That doesn't sound normal — I would guess that power brick has a 2.5 mm i.d. plug, even if it's supposed to be a 4ms power system brick. (To check, find a device with a 2.5mm jack and confirm that the plug _doesn't_ fit.)
I'm not sure the bends were done properly, or that the holes were punched in a straight line. I've mounted my Hydronium using that technique of bending the sheets more.. I can get one side in.. and.. a 3rd hole on the other side, but the module is at an angle. Mounting everything else, there is a LOT of warping on the sides of the case.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:54 am

I found my issue - the sidewalls were bent inaccurately or something. My 50mm-deep (106 Chorus) module wasn't fitting, and I had a hunch about it, so I measured it with calipers.

Depth of 49.5mm, that's almost a full 1mm shy of the stated specs 50.8mm. Return it goes.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:15 pm

IMG_0328 (2).JPG
Got everything together for my Controller Pod using 4ms 48X. I'm very happy! So is my buddy Willy Wanka here too, obviously!

He's no Boxing Santa but he certainly has his moments. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:20 am

I'm planning to outsource my sequencing and clocking stuff to a 64x Pod.

I'm a bit confused about the amount of headers. The Website says 4, the downloadable Manual says 6 Headers for the
64X Version. I assume 6 headers are correct?

bommelito
Common Wiggler

Post by bommelito » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:48 pm

Granular wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:20 am

I'm a bit confused about the amount of headers. The Website says 4, the downloadable Manual says 6 Headers for the
Have a look at the pics on the 4ms website. The 64x pod has 6 headers.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:24 pm

bommelito wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:48 pm
Granular wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:20 am

Have a look at the pics on the 4ms website. The 64x pod has 6 headers.
Ok thanks. So I'm gonna order one of these :cloud:

presidentofvice
Common Wiggler

Post by presidentofvice » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:42 pm

Upgraded the drum case from the 48x to the 64x. Pimped it out a little. Added a passive mult in the upper part of the case ala Palette case, and added an internal spring reverb tank.
DSCF5488.jpg
DSCF5478.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”