O|D ER-301 vs Percussa SSP

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Sunden
Common Wiggler

O|D ER-301 vs Percussa SSP

Post by Sunden » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Are there any crazy ppl out there who have both? Or people who have gotten a chance to play with both extensively?

I would really like to add a heavy duty DSP module to my system eventually, and these are obviously the two contenders. I feel like I've heard much more about the ER-301 and it seems like there is more info/demo stuff available for it, but it might just be because I haven't spent as long researching the SSP.

Would be curious to hear if anybody can comment on how they compare head-to-head in actual use.

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Call me crazy.... yes, I do have both modules.
I don’t think of these modules as adversaries but they do live in different cases...
:hihi:

Seriously though, they are both very capable units that can perform many of the same tricks albeit very differently in some cases. The ER-301 has the advantage because it was out first so there has been more development time and more users as well contributing to design. The Percussa is relatively new and around twice the price (and HP I think...) but there are quite a few very experienced Eurorack folk also contributing to its development. Fun fact is that there are a few people who are on both forums that I recognize so it confirms that there are several people besides me who own both.
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Sunden
Common Wiggler

Post by Sunden » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:56 pm

I’d be curious to hear more of your thoughts on how the UIs compare and what their relative strengths/weaknesses are in your use cases, or if you could comment on how the UIs lead you to different ways of working/thinking.

Common Wiggler

Post by 6667 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:35 pm

in before the same 3 people who post in the percussa threads start going on about how its the best module ever because it has the absolute maximum possible dsp within a eurorack module (which might as well come with windows installed and a dedicated gpu onboard so that i can play the latest pc games on all maximum settings while patching)

in_sherman
Common Wiggler

Post by in_sherman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:49 pm

They are both expensive .

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:42 am

6667 wrote:in before the same 3 people who post in the percussa threads start going on about how its the best module ever because it has the absolute maximum possible dsp within a eurorack module (which might as well come with windows installed and a dedicated gpu onboard so that i can play the latest pc games on all maximum settings while patching)
In before the same 3 people who post in the percussa threads start going on about if you want a computer, why don't you just use a laptop instead of this module....
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:52 pm

in_sherman wrote:They are both expensive .
Well it depends how you count...
Some of us already spent thousands in different currencies to get a big modular system and many are on their way to do the same.

But if you compare the processing power of the Percussa SSP with standard digital modules, you have a monster capable 40 times the calculation of an average digital module... :eek:
(this is what the manufacturer says and I would like to know what would be the comparison for the ER-301)

To state it differently (I did the math), if I were to get myself the Percussa I would pay 2000.- $ to get myself the equivalent of 40 digital modules for 50.-$ each :sb:

(So, I would get myself a fair amount from the MI serries, a couple of Harvesman's... and who knows... maybe the ER-301 :party: :party: :party: :party: )

That's of course a bit too simple to put it this way. Because for instance we don't know yet much about the available utility modules present in the Percussa that would be necessary to make complex patches within the module. Moreover, many of us love to use eurorack modules to avoid menu diving.

But for somebody who's not affraid of menu diving, who wishes to have a larger system and who already has a medium size system able to patch 16 inputs and 8 outputs for the Percussa or 20 inputs and 4 outputs for the ER-301, this is definitely a good thread!!

bemerritt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bemerritt » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:25 pm

Wait, honest question, have i missed the videos where the percussa has done anything entertaining?
Last edited by bemerritt on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franman69
Veteran Wiggler

Post by franman69 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:08 pm

^^^ winner ^^^

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 am

6667 wrote:in before the same 3 people who post in the percussa threads start going on about how its the best module ever because it has the absolute maximum possible dsp within a eurorack module
in_sherman wrote:In before the same 3 people who post in the percussa threads start going on about if you want a computer, why don't you just use a laptop instead of this module....
Well no wonder this thread basically died. How could anyone say anything now?

As for the comment about one of these modules replacing many others: Even if you don't mind a bit of menu diving, you'll get to your limits if you'd actually try to replace a patch with 40 (hell, even 20) digital modules inside of one of these modules. You may well use more than 20 units (e.g. because you may need multiple simple delays to replicate the function of one delay module), but if you really wanted to replace a patch that used a lot of modules, you'd do so much searching and fiddling that it could certainly not be called "performance" anymore.

I think the appealing thing about these sorts of modules is mainly that they can take any role at any moment, rather than every role at every moment. The latter would then lead to inb4 no. 2, where I would advise for a laptop, but again, I don't think that's really the appeal. So I wouldn't look at how many things I can run independently at once (because that will always lead to a bad experience UI wise anyways, no matter how well the UX-designer did), but rather at how many things that I'd sometimes like to have in my rig it can replace comfortably. For example, I don't always need a multi-tap delay, but sometimes I want one - I'd rather buy one of these modules than a Rainmaker. Whereas if I always needed a multi-tap delay, I'd be silly to buy one of these over the Rainmaker, since the Rainmaker will provide a much better interface, just on the grounds of being a dedicated module, designed to do this one thing well.

edit: and as for which one is better (suited for your needs), I recommend reading the forums for both these products and paying some attention to what actual users say about their actual experiences in actually using the module. I read both and I think it's pretty clear which one I'd prefer to make music with right now.

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:04 am

It looks like a big community of 3rd party/independent developers who create custom modules for ER301 which is a great plus.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:12 am

bemerritt wrote:Wait, honest question, have i missed the videos where the percussa has done anything entertaining?
This though..

I’m sure it’s more then capable, just needs to get in the right hands.

Tonefloat01
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Tonefloat01 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:15 am

brandonlogic wrote:
bemerritt wrote:Wait, honest question, have i missed the videos where the percussa has done anything entertaining?
This though..

I’m sure it’s more then capable, just needs to get in the right hands.

It’s definitely in the right hands of working audio professionals that have day jobs and deadlines that aren’t too concerned about placating people by producing instructional videos or demos for them. :bananaguitar:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

bemerritt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bemerritt » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:49 am

Then those people arent the right hands. Doesn't mean the module isn't right for those that do have it.

Right hands meaning someone who does want to create videos. Doesn't even have to be instructional. There are thousands of videos online of performances/wiggles/sounds etc. Just want to see some of those with a percussa in the case.

desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by desolationjones » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:07 am

Tonefloat01 wrote:It’s definitely in the right hands of working audio professionals that have day jobs and deadlines that aren’t too concerned about placating people by producing instructional videos or demos for them. :bananaguitar:
People with day jobs and deadlines are exactly the same people who look for good instructional documentation. Experimenting with poorly documented gear can lead to "happy accidents" but more often leads to "sad frustration". The SSP and the ER-301 both suffer from this to varying degrees but the SSP is much earlier in its development, community-wise.

I see Neil Parfitt has an SSP. His incredible instructional videos sold me on the ER-301 and continue to be an inspirational source of creative workflows. Maybe he'll eventually create similar content for the SSP...

I expect that the SSP won't see a ton of community interest until the VST catalog gets fleshed out. The mSSP could become the next ZDSP if they get the right talent involved.

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:29 am

I'm one of those crazy people. I got the ER-301 for the same reason I got the SSP. The 301 was already out before I started talking to Percussa about the SSP.

Frankly I was tired of everyone shying away from anything that resembled a computer for the same arguments seen above. There were tons of modules all employing DSP and all using a computer to do it. Why everyone insisted on doing that with the bare minimum CPU in their module was a mystery, but sure felt like a way to milk the revenue chain.

I personally just felt like I didn't need 15 digital modules when 3 or 4 could do the same or more. Modules like the 301 and the SSP are about that very thing.

To answer the question about performance between the 301 and SSP: The SSP can do four times the workload that the 301 is capable of. The SSP also has higher resolution ADCs and DACs and more output and inputs that are capable of doing audio and cv. (all 24 jacks are dc coupled and can do audio and cv.)

Now as you asked about this because you are looking for a DSP module, the SSP is capable of doing better quality DSP and running more all at once, but both are brilliant devices. Brain is excellent, and Bert & Celine are great. The 301 has a great and established community that has brought much to the module and continues to today. The SSP by comparison is young and new.

And I agree on the videos. Patience is all I'd recommend. Percussa can't pay someone to do videos, and they can't force people to either. I know what the SSP is capable of and I think if more people knew that this conversation just wouldn't be so painful.

And despite everything I've just said here, the thing I'd tell you the most is to just thoroughly look into both. There are so many things for each that it is hard to sum it up in a post here.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”