WORNG Electronics SoundStage mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

WORNG Electronics SoundStage mixer

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:36 am

Please welcome the WORNG Electronics SoundStage. A stereo mixer module unlike any other, SoundStage helps you build your mix just by patching your voices in. Inputs are placed in the stereo field depending on their horizontal patch position left to right, and placed in the spectrum depending on vertical patch position, with carefully tuned analogue resonant filters to give definition to low, low mid, mid, high mid and high voices. Depth of filtering and output level are controlled with dedicated pots and CV, allowing creative uses of the controls. A prototype SoundStage will be demoed at Tokyo Festival of Modular and Kyoto Festival of Modular, come check it out and have a listen if you’re in this part of the world.

lrclazer
Common Wiggler

Post by lrclazer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:53 am

Looks really cool, and I absolutely love the concept. Kudos!

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:58 am

Cool idea!
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 am

That's a great concept! Really looking forward to this. :tu:

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:54 am

Very cool. Reminds me of the fixed filters on the emu sp1200’s outputs a bit...but then on sterioids with this piece.....Good competitor for the RXMX I think

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:05 am

Illwiggle wrote:Very cool. Reminds me of the fixed filters on the emu sp1200’s outputs a bit...but then on sterioids with this piece.....Good competitor for the RXMX I think
It's funny you should mention that because the ideas that eventually coalesced into this design have been floating around my head for the past few years, ever since I read this *excellent* piece. http://privateprogram.blogspot.com/2012 ... raphy.html

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:59 am

Brilliant concept. Love the 3D stage graphic around the jacks too; super intuitive with no words required!
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:44 am

Looking really interesting - could easily be mistaken for a MakeNoise module!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:53 am

Love the idea in principle. Reminds me of Takaab’s clever Nearness module. I’m a little curious about gain management.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:16 am

mdoudoroff wrote:Love the idea in principle. Reminds me of Takaab’s clever Nearness module. I’m a little curious about gain management.
It’s designed to be able to handle a lot of inputs without clipping the input stages, and the output level control is there to keep that from clipping too. Individual voice level control should be handled by the VCAs you’re feeding it with.

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am

This plus a qu-bit synapse.....

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:38 am

Great concept, but are there any inputs that are not filtered?

giantreptile
Learning to Wiggle

Post by giantreptile » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:04 pm

The graphics feel like infringement on the Make Noise aesthetic. There's homage, and then there's appropriation. just sayin'

worra
Common Wiggler

Post by worra » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:57 pm

This looks awesome! Any info on price/availability for those of us not in Tokyo?

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Ooooh. I really dig this idea. Can't wait to hear it in action.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:Great concept, but are there any inputs that are not filtered?
With the depth control fully counter clockwise all the inputs are unfiltered.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:35 pm

worra wrote:This looks awesome! Any info on price/availability for those of us not in Tokyo?
Don’t have a production quote so I don’t know what the price will be yet, aiming for Q1 2019 release. I want to make a couple of very minor changes to the circuit but it’s pretty much ready to go.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Huh, that is a very intriguing idea! And with two of them you could do quadraphonic sound, I imagine.

I don’t have an issue with the aesthetics, but the typeface should be changed, it’s one step beyond ‘homage’ in my opinion.

Edit: I keep seeing the name as ‘WRONG’, not WORNG lol.

mekohler
Common Wiggler

Post by mekohler » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:30 pm

giantreptile wrote:The graphics feel like infringement on the Make Noise aesthetic. There's homage, and then there's appropriation. just sayin'
:bang:

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 pm

rad idea, definitely interested in checking this out when it's released.

ronski
Common Wiggler

Post by ronski » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:59 pm

BenA718 wrote: I don’t have an issue with the aesthetics, but the typeface should be changed, it’s one step beyond ‘homage’ in my opinion.
I love the Wrong modules but with this specific module I agree that the typo is too similar to Make Noise. Apart from that I love how the rest of the faceplate is designed. Really love my LRMSMSLR module so might give this one a go too.

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:26 pm

ronski wrote:
BenA718 wrote: I don’t have an issue with the aesthetics, but the typeface should be changed, it’s one step beyond ‘homage’ in my opinion.
I love the Wrong modules but with this specific module I agree that the typo is too similar to Make Noise. Apart from that I love how the rest of the faceplate is designed. Really love my LRMSMSLR module so might give this one a go too.
Actually, if you compare the faceplates of (say) Morphagene and DPO with Vector Space and LRMSMSRL you will see that (a) individual letters on the modules of both manufacturers are written differently in different places and (b) although similar, many of the Worng letters are actually different from their Make Noise equivalents.

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Very interested in how this sounds!

hemeroscopium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hemeroscopium » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:19 am

This will prolly solve a lot of things and save tons of space. Hoping the sound quality will be top notch and instabuyyy $$$
An allusion to a place that exists only in our mind, in our senses, that is ever-changing and mutable, but is nonetheless real. It is delimited by the references of the horizon, by the physical limits, defined by light, and it happens in time.

ronski
Common Wiggler

Post by ronski » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:14 am

williamjturkel wrote:
ronski wrote:
Actually, if you compare the faceplates of (say) Morphagene and DPO with Vector Space and LRMSMSRL you will see that (a) individual letters on the modules of both manufacturers are written differently in different places and (b) although similar, many of the Worng letters are actually different from their Make Noise equivalents.
Agreed with vector space and LRMSMSLR designs I don't see any issues. I specifically notice more similarities when I look at the sound stage module typos (depth and level) Still different enough maybe, but personally I feel they come to close to Make Noise. I would mess those a bit more up so that they go more towards the "soundstage" typo in the top which I feel is more in the right direction and a few steps further away from make noise typo's.

Don't get me worng, I really love the designs :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”