WORNG Electronics SoundStage mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

WORNG Electronics SoundStage mixer

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:36 am

Image

Please welcome the WORNG Electronics SoundStage. A stereo mixer module unlike any other, SoundStage helps you build your mix just by patching your voices in. Inputs are placed in the stereo field depending on their horizontal patch position left to right, and placed in the spectrum depending on vertical patch position, with carefully tuned analogue resonant filters to give definition to low, low mid, mid, high mid and high voices. Depth of filtering and output level are controlled with dedicated pots and CV, allowing creative uses of the controls. A prototype SoundStage will be demoed at Tokyo Festival of Modular and Kyoto Festival of Modular, come check it out and have a listen if you’re in this part of the world.

User avatar
lrclazer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:22 am
Location: San Francisco

Post by lrclazer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:53 am

Looks really cool, and I absolutely love the concept. Kudos!

User avatar
batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1044
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 7:15 am
Location: San Francisco

Post by batch » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:58 am

Cool idea!
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

User avatar
vytis
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 am

Post by vytis » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 am

That's a great concept! Really looking forward to this. :tu:

User avatar
Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Illwiggle » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:54 am

Very cool. Reminds me of the fixed filters on the emu sp1200’s outputs a bit...but then on sterioids with this piece.....Good competitor for the RXMX I think

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:05 am

Illwiggle wrote:Very cool. Reminds me of the fixed filters on the emu sp1200’s outputs a bit...but then on sterioids with this piece.....Good competitor for the RXMX I think
It's funny you should mention that because the ideas that eventually coalesced into this design have been floating around my head for the past few years, ever since I read this *excellent* piece. http://privateprogram.blogspot.com/2012 ... raphy.html

User avatar
Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:48 am
Location: Manchester

Post by Carrousel » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:59 am

Brilliant concept. Love the 3D stage graphic around the jacks too; super intuitive with no words required!
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

User avatar
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Jumbuktu » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:44 am

Looking really interesting - could easily be mistaken for a MakeNoise module!

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3687
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:53 am

Love the idea in principle. Reminds me of Takaab’s clever Nearness module. I’m a little curious about gain management.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:16 am

mdoudoroff wrote:Love the idea in principle. Reminds me of Takaab’s clever Nearness module. I’m a little curious about gain management.
It’s designed to be able to handle a lot of inputs without clipping the input stages, and the output level control is there to keep that from clipping too. Individual voice level control should be handled by the VCAs you’re feeding it with.

User avatar
maltemark
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 am
Location: Gothenburg

Post by maltemark » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am

This plus a qu-bit synapse.....

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1823
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Post by R.U.Nuts » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:38 am

Great concept, but are there any inputs that are not filtered?

giantreptile
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:09 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by giantreptile » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:04 pm

The graphics feel like infringement on the Make Noise aesthetic. There's homage, and then there's appropriation. just sayin'

User avatar
worra
Common Wiggler
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:35 am
Location: ATX

Post by worra » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:57 pm

This looks awesome! Any info on price/availability for those of us not in Tokyo?

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:23 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by spinalbeatz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Ooooh. I really dig this idea. Can't wait to hear it in action.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:Great concept, but are there any inputs that are not filtered?
With the depth control fully counter clockwise all the inputs are unfiltered.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:35 pm

worra wrote:This looks awesome! Any info on price/availability for those of us not in Tokyo?
Don’t have a production quote so I don’t know what the price will be yet, aiming for Q1 2019 release. I want to make a couple of very minor changes to the circuit but it’s pretty much ready to go.

User avatar
BenA718
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 am
Location: NYC

Post by BenA718 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Huh, that is a very intriguing idea! And with two of them you could do quadraphonic sound, I imagine.

I don’t have an issue with the aesthetics, but the typeface should be changed, it’s one step beyond ‘homage’ in my opinion.

Edit: I keep seeing the name as ‘WRONG’, not WORNG lol.

User avatar
mekohler
Common Wiggler
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: NYC

Post by mekohler » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:30 pm

giantreptile wrote:The graphics feel like infringement on the Make Noise aesthetic. There's homage, and then there's appropriation. just sayin'
:bang:

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:29 pm
Contact:

Post by resynthesize » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 pm

rad idea, definitely interested in checking this out when it's released.

User avatar
ronski
Common Wiggler
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:10 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by ronski » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:59 pm

BenA718 wrote: I don’t have an issue with the aesthetics, but the typeface should be changed, it’s one step beyond ‘homage’ in my opinion.
I love the Wrong modules but with this specific module I agree that the typo is too similar to Make Noise. Apart from that I love how the rest of the faceplate is designed. Really love my LRMSMSLR module so might give this one a go too.

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:50 am
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Post by williamjturkel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:26 pm

ronski wrote:
BenA718 wrote: I don’t have an issue with the aesthetics, but the typeface should be changed, it’s one step beyond ‘homage’ in my opinion.
I love the Wrong modules but with this specific module I agree that the typo is too similar to Make Noise. Apart from that I love how the rest of the faceplate is designed. Really love my LRMSMSLR module so might give this one a go too.
Actually, if you compare the faceplates of (say) Morphagene and DPO with Vector Space and LRMSMSRL you will see that (a) individual letters on the modules of both manufacturers are written differently in different places and (b) although similar, many of the Worng letters are actually different from their Make Noise equivalents.

User avatar
Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3437
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:52 am
Location: Berlin

Post by Hainbach » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Very interested in how this sounds!

User avatar
hemeroscopium
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Post by hemeroscopium » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:19 am

This will prolly solve a lot of things and save tons of space. Hoping the sound quality will be top notch and instabuyyy $$$
An allusion to a place that exists only in our mind, in our senses, that is ever-changing and mutable, but is nonetheless real. It is delimited by the references of the horizon, by the physical limits, defined by light, and it happens in time.

User avatar
ronski
Common Wiggler
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:10 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by ronski » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:14 am

williamjturkel wrote:
ronski wrote:
BenA718 wrote: I don’t have an issue with the aesthetics, but the typeface should be changed, it’s one step beyond ‘homage’ in my opinion.
I love the Wrong modules but with this specific module I agree that the typo is too similar to Make Noise. Apart from that I love how the rest of the faceplate is designed. Really love my LRMSMSLR module so might give this one a go too.
Actually, if you compare the faceplates of (say) Morphagene and DPO with Vector Space and LRMSMSRL you will see that (a) individual letters on the modules of both manufacturers are written differently in different places and (b) although similar, many of the Worng letters are actually different from their Make Noise equivalents.
Agreed with vector space and LRMSMSLR designs I don't see any issues. I specifically notice more similarities when I look at the sound stage module typos (depth and level) Still different enough maybe, but personally I feel they come to close to Make Noise. I would mess those a bit more up so that they go more towards the "soundstage" typo in the top which I feel is more in the right direction and a few steps further away from make noise typo's.

Don't get me worng, I really love the designs :)

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”