WORNG Electronics SoundStage mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon May 13, 2019 12:17 pm

[video][/video]

Here’s a little demo from Superbooth with nice quality stereo audio. :tu:

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Mon May 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Oooooh. Finally! Great demo! This module very noticeably cleaned up that mix. Sounds great, the filtering is nice and subtle, I like it!

I am really digging the panel design.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Very nice!
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 am

I'm looking forward to the module but I have to say that the jack configuration is a bit confusing. If the jacks are meant to represent the physical stage, wouldn't patching on the right side of the module put the things on the left side for the audience? :hmm:

Oh well, not a big problem I don't think. Congratulations and looking forward to getting one when they become available.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

atl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by atl » Fri May 17, 2019 10:35 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:I'm looking forward to the module but I have to say that the jack configuration is a bit confusing. If the jacks are meant to represent the physical stage, wouldn't patching on the right side of the module put the things on the left side for the audience? :hmm:
I'm not sure I get this as a critique. You can do stage/house right/left swaps at any stage afterwards if that's your use case.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Fri May 17, 2019 11:11 am

Brilliant

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Mon May 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Release ETA?

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 31, 2019 2:58 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:Release ETA?
Now shipping to dealers :tu:

There’s been quite a lot of preorders so get in quick so you don’t miss the first batch.

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Just placed my order for a Soundstage w/ Midwest modular. Gotta give the owner there props. He really knew his stuff, and even shared some cool patching ideas about some of my ancient Blacet/Wiard stuff. Now I’m trying to figure out what to do with my JAG, phase shifted sin waves, SSM & Soundstage.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 pm

They are now showing as in-stock at Perfect Circuit so hoping my order will be coming soon!
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:35 pm

nomass wrote:Just placed my order for a Soundstage w/ Midwest modular. Gotta give the owner there props. He really knew his stuff, and even shared some cool patching ideas about some of my ancient Blacet/Wiard stuff. Now I’m trying to figure out what to do with my JAG, phase shifted sin waves, SSM & Soundstage.
Joe is a really likable person! I love that guy.

I managed to get my hands on a SoundStage. I'm still experimenting, finding out how it fits into my setup, but enjoying it so far.

I've been trying to integrate it with my WMD Mixer, using it as an fx return mixer, and experimenting with a drum bus. My favorite results have been standalone though. It's really fun and easy to mix like this. Very noticeable on the relationship between my kick and sub. It may end up being the dedicated mixer in one of my smaller performance cases.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Just got my shipping notice. Gets here Monday.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:45 pm

batch wrote:They are now showing as in-stock at Perfect Circuit so hoping my order will be coming soon!
I just got notification from Perfect Circuit that mine finally shipped! :D

I can't wait to try it with the Vector Space and LRMSMSLR!!

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:34 am

A bit strapped after recent purchases but I definitely want to pair it with my Vector Space... Looks so nice.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:23 pm

My long-awaited Sound Stage has arrived! I gave it a quick test, and it's brilliant!
Last edited by BenA718 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:25 am

BenA718 wrote:My long-awaited Sound Stage has arrived! I have it a quick test, and it's brilliant!
Nice! I wanted to wait til eBay had a 15% off coupon, but they haven't done one in months, and the list of stuff I am planning to buy via this hypothetical coupon (some shoes, clothes, modules) is likely to already exceed the typical coupon cap.

Might need to just put in for one via a 10%er from PC. It seems like a brilliantly simple module, as does the Vector Space, and frankly the sideband processor as well. Good stuff from this company, and seem to be getting from concept -> proto -> shipping in a reasonable amount of time- gotta love that for once!
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:26 am

I have bought the unit for my rack, but...how can I learn how to do this same thing in a DAW? I understand the panning and eq, but I am clueless on how resonance and VCAs fit in.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:43 am

electricanada wrote:I have bought the unit for my rack, but...how can I learn how to do this same thing in a DAW? I understand the panning and eq, but I am clueless on how resonance and VCAs fit in.
It's a sound staging mixer.

Left / right of the unit determines position in stereo field.

Down / up of the unit determines position in frequency spectrum (aka down for basses, up for leads).

To recreate this in a DAW just apply those concepts as if on a grid, however it's difficult to get the exact sound, these "analogue resonant -12dB/octave Sallen-Key" are the filters used. If you want the Sound Stage sound, you'll need your Sound Stage.

If you like a lead patched into the top left point, to recreate it in a DAW you'd pan it hard left and set its filter so its spectrum is in the high frequency range.

As per the VCA, the website says "The twenty-one individual inputs forgo level controls as this can be controlled at the VCA stage of each voice, saving on doubling up and wasting space".

VCAs don't fit in any differently than they normally do. All it's saying is if you want to control volume, you control it via your VCA, which allowed them to not have 21 extra knobs on the unit.

Could be wrong on all this though, I only have a Vector Space :)

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Birth_Chord wrote:
electricanada wrote:I have bought the unit for my rack, but...how can I learn how to do this same thing in a DAW? I understand the panning and eq, but I am clueless on how resonance and VCAs fit in.
It's a sound staging mixer.

Left / right of the unit determines position in stereo field.

Down / up of the unit determines position in frequency spectrum (aka down for basses, up for leads).

To recreate this in a DAW just apply those concepts as if on a grid, however it's difficult to get the exact sound, these "analogue resonant -12dB/octave Sallen-Key" are the filters used. If you want the Sound Stage sound, you'll need your Sound Stage.

If you like a lead patched into the top left point, to recreate it in a DAW you'd pan it hard left and set its filter so its spectrum is in the high frequency range.

As per the VCA, the website says "The twenty-one individual inputs forgo level controls as this can be controlled at the VCA stage of each voice, saving on doubling up and wasting space".

VCAs don't fit in any differently than they normally do. All it's saying is if you want to control volume, you control it via your VCA, which allowed them to not have 21 extra knobs on the unit.

Could be wrong on all this though, I only have a Vector Space :)
Thanks very much. I follow all that. I’m still not quite sure what making the filters resonant does in this particular context though.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:27 pm

I think the filters are resonant so you can loop an output back into the Sound Stage and create harmonic feedback. You can hear the resonance when you have the Depth engaged; the sound is filtered but it definitely sounds like harmonic content is being added as well. You can also forego the filters altogether and just use the unit for panning and overall level if you wish. However, I am finding that the filters are quite addictive!

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:45 pm

BenA718 wrote:I think the filters are resonant so you can loop an output back into the Sound Stage and create harmonic feedback. You can hear the resonance when you have the Depth engaged; the sound is filtered but it definitely sounds like harmonic content is being added as well. You can also forego the filters altogether and just use the unit for panning and overall level if you wish. However, I am finding that the filters are quite addictive!
Can you please post a sound demo of a loopback if it's possible on it? That sounds super interesting...

Bass filtered with added resonance patched into a lead point with added resonance... What does it sound like! You'd need an output though, does the unit offer any sort of mono output? I suppose as long as the loop is patched into the center it wouldn't matter much.

mmm..

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49 pm

electricanada wrote:I’m still not quite sure what making the filters resonant does in this particular context though.
The filters are resonant so they add a bit of a boost before the cutoff, which helps bring out the frequencies in that area. It just helps the mix all come together so instead of being flat with cuts the frequency response moves up and down in a more natural way.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:10 am

[video][/video]

DivKid comes through with the goods for people looking for more audio examples and patching demos.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 am

Very nice! One thing that may or may not have come up: does the Sound Stage have an overall high pass filter that takes out the inaudible low end from the mix?

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:36 am

pieter wrote:Very nice! One thing that may or may not have come up: does the Sound Stage have an overall high pass filter that takes out the inaudible low end from the mix?
Every row goes through both high and low pass filters, so if you’re using the filtered mix then yes.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”