WORNG Electronics SoundStage mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:37 am

Awesome, thanks!

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 pm

So, how is the company's name pronounced? Ben seems to keep saying "Wrong" instead of "Worng" is that wrong?
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:10 pm

JakoGreyshire wrote:So, how is the company's name pronounced? Ben seems to keep saying "Wrong" instead of "Worng" is that wrong?
Eye thync ur ryte. Kwite write!

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:01 am

JakoGreyshire wrote:So, how is the company's name pronounced? Ben seems to keep saying "Wrong" instead of "Worng" is that wrong?
Either is fine.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Either is fine.
No, that's worng.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:38 pm

:doh: :hihi: best name ever!! (although, I guess you don't get it, if you aren't fluent in English)

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:13 pm

I'd love to hear some more examples of this once people start getting it. I usually just mix in Ableton Live, but would be interesting to hear how good mixes with this actually turn out. I've actually been contemplating setting up a sort of template kind of like this just to make mixing quicker, but having it all in a module ... maybe that would be something. 8-)

Edit - OK, just read the manual, and I'm sold. This is clearly ace. Loved the manual and the description of the various considerations in the design! :hihi:

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:47 pm

I pre-ordered the module and have it now. But I would still like to learn how to do this same thing in the DAW. Any recommendations for learning resources?

I understand the panning and the eq, but I'm not sure what frequencies the eq bands should be set to, or how (or when or why) to set up the resonance.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:20 pm

electricanada wrote:I pre-ordered the module and have it now. But I would still like to learn how to do this same thing in the DAW. Any recommendations for learning resources?

I understand the panning and the eq, but I'm not sure what frequencies the eq bands should be set to, or how (or when or why) to set up the resonance.
Have you read the manual? There's quite a bit of information on how it's setup in there. There are also all kinds of mixing resources online, and although there are some ground rules most sound engineers adhere to, there are lots of opinions and tastes (and rules according to genres etc) that must be taken into consideration as well. Check this out for a basic introduction to EQ'ing:

https://www.cheatography.com/fredv/chea ... s/eq-tips/

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:53 pm

electricanada wrote:I pre-ordered the module and have it now. But I would still like to learn how to do this same thing in the DAW. Any recommendations for learning resources?

All 20 filters in the SoundStage are resonant, so the answer to When is always. The How is just be increasing the Q of the filter. Why is because it sounds different to a non-resonant filter.

There’s a whole lot more flexibility in a DAW than a Eurorack module, you can tweak the filters to suit your mix exactly, adjust the frequency, Q, and the different levels, you could spend days tweaking your mix to get it just how you like it.

Soundstage is designed so you don’t have to do all that tweaking, I’ve already done it for you. You just decide where you want an element to fit in the mix and patch it in, done. On top of that many people believe that analogue filtering and mixing sounds better than digital, but you’ve got both so you can decide for yourself.

rozzbud
Common Wiggler

Post by rozzbud » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:53 am

What would 2x Soundstages to a quadraphonic setup sound like?

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:33 am

Daisuk wrote:I'd love to hear some more examples of this once people start getting it.
I am working on a piece now that uses the Sound Stage, here’s what it sounds like thus far:

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting ... k-1-demo-3

Sounds are two vco’s from as SE Quadnic through an RV-500 and back into the Sound Stage panned left and right into the high mids, Mother-32 into the low mid/mid bass, BD808 into the bass, SD808 into the high mid.

The intro is a TX7, not going through the Sound Stage.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 am

Nice! do you remember how far up you turned the filter effect?

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:59 am

pieter wrote:Nice! do you remember how far up you turned the filter effect?
Filter is at 100%!

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks, I had a suspicion it was dialled up quite high, since you have rather extreme separation of the instruments. It's good to hear the Soundstage can get into this territory! I would experiment with pulling back the filter a little.

By the way, I reaaly like the composition.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:23 am

pieter wrote:Thanks, I had a suspicion it was dialled up quite high, since you have rather extreme separation of the instruments. It's good to hear the Soundstage can get into this territory! I would experiment with pulling back the filter a little.

Thanks! It's still a work-in-progress.

I am not sure the Depth control has any bearing on the panning.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:31 am

BenA718 wrote:
pieter wrote:Thanks, I had a suspicion it was dialled up quite high, since you have rather extreme separation of the instruments. It's good to hear the Soundstage can get into this territory! I would experiment with pulling back the filter a little.

Thanks! It's still a work-in-progress.

I am not sure the Depth control has any bearing on the panning.
No the panning is fine, I meant the width of the instruments in the spectrum.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:47 am

Ah, yeah, I go back and forth on the Depth control, but in the end I prefer it full on. There are a few sweet spots, though!

When you are turning the Depth control, you can hear it shaping the sound and in some spots you lose the low end; I prefer the girth of the low frequency elements with the Depth on full.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:50 am

BenA718 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:I'd love to hear some more examples of this once people start getting it.
I am working on a piece now that uses the Sound Stage, here’s what it sounds like thus far:

Sounds are two vco’s from as SE Quadnic through an RV-500 and back into the Sound Stage panned left and right into the high mids, Mother-32 into the low mid/mid bass, BD808 into the bass, SD808 into the high mid.

Sweet! Thanks a lot for sharing. :) The mix sounds good! Please share more! I'm supposed to get mine next week, so hopefully I'll get to make a couple of tracks with it before I go on vacation.

Would also love to hear more "before and after" demos if someone who has it is willing to make it, with the filter knob all the way left and then all the way right.
Last edited by Daisuk on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:50 am

That's good to know, thanks. I have this module on my wish list, and I like the clarity and definition in your example.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:59 am

Daisuk wrote:
BenA718 wrote:

Sweet! Thanks a lot for sharing. :) The mix sounds good! Please share more! I'm supposed to get mine next week, so hopefully I'll get to make a couple of tracks with it before I go on vacation.

Would also love to hear more "before and after" demos if someone who has it is willing to make it, with the filter knob all the way left and then all the way right.
I think I can do that using this piece; I will work up something over the weekend! :)

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:00 am

BenA718 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
BenA718 wrote:

I think I can do that using this piece; I will work up something over the weekend! :)
Nice! Much appreciated. :mrgreen: :yay:

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:51 pm

rozzbud wrote:What would 2x Soundstages to a quadraphonic setup sound like?
Tonally it would sound the same in quad as it does in stereo. In terms of panning you’d have access to two sides of the square, but it wouldn’t be possible to move seamlessly from one SoundStage to the other. It could be quite cool though.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:19 am

Daisuk wrote:Nice! Much appreciated. :mrgreen: :yay:
Here ya go, Daisuk!

This is the same sequence as above but I stripped away the delay and reverb as well as the string pads so you are only hearing the drums and synth voices through the Sound Stage.

I run the Sound Stage with the Depth control at minimum, 12:00, full, 3:00, 9:00, 1:00 and 11:00, then pan it continuously from minumum to maximum. At the halfway point I switch the melodic synths from the outermost pan points to the inner left/right pair, bringing them much closer to center, and pan the Depth control again.

I hope you find this helpful!

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting ... age-test-1

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:56 am

BenA718 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:Nice! Much appreciated. :mrgreen: :yay:
Here ya go, Daisuk!

This is the same sequence as above but I stripped away the delay and reverb as well as the string pads so you are only hearing the drums and synth voices through the Sound Stage.

I run the Sound Stage with the Depth control at minimum, 12:00, full, 3:00, 9:00, 1:00 and 11:00, then pan it continuously from minumum to maximum. At the halfway point I switch the melodic synths from the outermost pan points to the inner left/right pair, bringing them much closer to center, and pan the Depth control again.

I hope you find this helpful!

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting ... age-test-1
Thanks! :) I can hear a bit of a difference, but it's quite subtle in this one, I think. Wouldn't you hear more of a difference with the delay and reverb and pad added as well? I'd be keen to hear that anyway. I guess I'm mostly interested in how a "thick" un-filtered mix sounds fully dry vs fully wet (and points in between) to be able to notice just how much the module cleans up a mix.

But I'll get mine soon enough, so will figure it out soon enough! Thanks again! :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”