WORNG Electronics SoundStage mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post by electricanada » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Daisuk wrote:
electricanada wrote:I pre-ordered the module and have it now. But I would still like to learn how to do this same thing in the DAW. Any recommendations for learning resources?

I understand the panning and the eq, but I'm not sure what frequencies the eq bands should be set to, or how (or when or why) to set up the resonance.
Have you read the manual? There's quite a bit of information on how it's setup in there. There are also all kinds of mixing resources online, and although there are some ground rules most sound engineers adhere to, there are lots of opinions and tastes (and rules according to genres etc) that must be taken into consideration as well. Check this out for a basic introduction to EQ'ing:

https://www.cheatography.com/fredv/chea ... s/eq-tips/
Thanks for that link, very cool. Except this: “Limit Stereo Width to 30% except special effects”. Fuck it, let’s go to 150%!
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Got my Sound Stage today, and here's the second patch with it. I tried to make the mix messy or maximalist on purpose to get a feel for how the module can clean up the sound.

So first bit is 0% filtering (so completely dry), second bit is at 50% filtering, third bit is at 100%, fourth bit I fade from 0 to 100% filtering, last bit is 100% filtering.

http://soundcloud.com/green-gym/worngsoundstage

The mix could obviously sound a whole lot better by paying more attention to gain staging, and possible plugging in certain sounds into certain other frequencies (and in general just not having everything full on all the time), but it certainly gives you an impression of what the module is capable of, I think.

Great work, Worng! :mrgreen: :party:

User avatar
pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1621
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:59 pm
Location: UK

Post by pieter » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks for the demo, Daisuk!

User avatar
geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1213
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:01 pm
Location: Boston

Post by geremyf » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Daisuk wrote:Got my Sound Stage today, and here's the second patch with it. I tried to make the mix messy or maximalist on purpose to get a feel for how the module can clean up the sound.

So first bit is 0% filtering (so completely dry), second bit is at 50% filtering, third bit is at 100%, fourth bit I fade from 0 to 100% filtering, last bit is 100% filtering.

http://soundcloud.com/green-gym/worngsoundstage

The mix could obviously sound a whole lot better by paying more attention to gain staging, and possible plugging in certain sounds into certain other frequencies (and in general just not having everything full on all the time), but it certainly gives you an impression of what the module is capable of, I think.

Great work, Worng! :mrgreen: :party:
That is a pretty big difference between 0 and 100%, I like the change a lot. It seems like a mixing easy button.

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:39 pm

geremyf wrote:
Daisuk wrote:Got my Sound Stage today, and here's the second patch with it. I tried to make the mix messy or maximalist on purpose to get a feel for how the module can clean up the sound.

So first bit is 0% filtering (so completely dry), second bit is at 50% filtering, third bit is at 100%, fourth bit I fade from 0 to 100% filtering, last bit is 100% filtering.

http://soundcloud.com/green-gym/worngsoundstage

The mix could obviously sound a whole lot better by paying more attention to gain staging, and possible plugging in certain sounds into certain other frequencies (and in general just not having everything full on all the time), but it certainly gives you an impression of what the module is capable of, I think.

Great work, Worng! :mrgreen: :party:
That is a pretty big difference between 0 and 100%, I like the change a lot. It seems like a mixing easy button.
Yeah, it can do a lot. I'll try a few other things tomorrow, can put it out here if they turn out reasonably well. :)

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Not a fantastic little loop by any stretch of the imagination, but another demo of Sound Stage, first bit 0% filtering, second bit 100% filtering.

http://soundcloud.com/green-gym/soundstage2

User avatar
BenA718
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 am
Location: NYC

Post by BenA718 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:42 am

Some great sounds, Daisuk!

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:50 am

Cheers, Ben! Been recording quite a few mini tracks with the Sound Stage over the past few days, it's a great mixing assistant. :mrgreen:

User avatar
geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1213
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:01 pm
Location: Boston

Post by geremyf » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:46 am

Just bumping this thread because I'd still like to hear more from owners!

User avatar
batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1044
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 7:15 am
Location: San Francisco

Post by batch » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:26 pm

I have one. What do you want to know?
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:28 am

Here's another tracked mixed with Sound Stage, I think it was fully wet this time.

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/lunifolie

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:47 am

Daisuk wrote:Here's another tracked mixed with Sound Stage, I think it was fully wet this time.

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/lunifolie
Man, really enjoyed that track. Great work!

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:16 pm

Gyroscope wrote:
Daisuk wrote:Here's another tracked mixed with Sound Stage, I think it was fully wet this time.

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/lunifolie
Man, really enjoyed that track. Great work!
Thanks! :mrgreen:

User avatar
sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2645
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Omaha

Post by sloth713 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:37 pm

Gyroscope wrote:
Daisuk wrote:Here's another tracked mixed with Sound Stage, I think it was fully wet this time.

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/lunifolie
Man, really enjoyed that track. Great work!
I totally second this awesome stuff Daisuk :tu:

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:39 am

sloth713 wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:
Daisuk wrote:Here's another tracked mixed with Sound Stage, I think it was fully wet this time.

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/lunifolie
Man, really enjoyed that track. Great work!
I totally second this awesome stuff Daisuk :tu:
Thank you! :mrgreen:

kingcons
Common Wiggler
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by kingcons » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:27 am

Anyone have insight on when the second batch might ship out? I pre-ordered in July and ctrl-mod's page still list the next batch as arriving in July. :lol: :goo: :help:

User avatar
pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1621
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:59 pm
Location: UK

Post by pieter » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:48 am

Yes, I am also interested in this, as Rubadub lists it as 3-4 weeks away.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:01 pm

They’re in the final stages of testing and will ship soon. I don’t want to put a hard date on anything but it won’t be long now. :guinness:

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Daisuk wrote:Here's another tracked mixed with Sound Stage, I think it was fully wet this time.

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/lunifolie
This track is great, and also really showcases how SoundStage can give nice separation while keeping things dense! Do you mind if I share it on the WORNG Electronics social media pages? Fully credited and from your soundcloud of course.

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:04 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Daisuk wrote:Here's another tracked mixed with Sound Stage, I think it was fully wet this time.

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/lunifolie
This track is great, and also really showcases how SoundStage can give nice separation while keeping things dense! Do you mind if I share it on the WORNG Electronics social media pages? Fully credited and from your soundcloud of course.
Thanks! :) that would only be a pleasure, so please do! :tu:

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:42 pm

I kind of wish there were individual outputs on this thing too, haha, but that would obviously make it unecessarily big, so not viable from a design point of view, but would make gain staging after the fact in a DAW a lot easier. I keep fucking that up.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post by electricanada » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:41 pm

I have serial number #003. :wow: How can I use this to lord it over others in order to boost my fragile self-esteem?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post by electricanada » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:12 pm

If you have a gnarly lead that you really want to dominate the mix, how do you do that with this module? Mult the lead out and plug into multiple holes in the soundstage?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am
Location: Melbourne

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:40 pm

electricanada wrote:If you have a gnarly lead that you really want to dominate the mix, how do you do that with this module? Mult the lead out and plug into multiple holes in the soundstage?
Yeah you could do that if you wanted, might get some cool effects by using alternating rows hard left and right.

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3912
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by Daisuk » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:28 am

Another SoundStage mix, also fully wet:
http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus ... jonsdisken

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”