WORNG Electronics SoundStage mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
electricanada wrote:If you have a gnarly lead that you really want to dominate the mix, how do you do that with this module? Mult the lead out and plug into multiple holes in the soundstage?
Yeah you could do that if you wanted, might get some cool effects by using alternating rows hard left and right.
I wound up running the lead through two different filters and a frequency shifter, using four inputs total to the Soundstage. It was massive.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:14 pm

electricanada wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
electricanada wrote:If you have a gnarly lead that you really want to dominate the mix, how do you do that with this module? Mult the lead out and plug into multiple holes in the soundstage?
Yeah you could do that if you wanted, might get some cool effects by using alternating rows hard left and right.
I wound up running the lead through two different filters and a frequency shifter, using four inputs total to the Soundstage. It was massive.
I've been playing around with Moddemix sending oscillators to different positions and then crossfading them with the Moddemix channels. I don't think massive is a big enough term to describe that sound. Still trying to digure out if it can be useful, but it's cool as hell. I really like this module, it reminds me of my first time playing with an 'intentionally colrs your sound' mixer (Boss BX16 was my first one).

Is it practical for every song? Probably not except in the mildest of settings

Is it exactly what you need in certain scenarios? seems to be
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:02 pm

gentle_attack wrote: Is it practical for every song? Probably not except in the mildest of settings

Is it exactly what you need in certain scenarios? seems to be
It's really great for percussion. I can get any number of percussive voices going simultaneously and they stay separated. I have to take care not to overload the arrangement now, because it is so easy to separate parts in the mix with this thing.

Esgal
Common Wiggler

Post by Esgal » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:45 pm

Just got mine. Pretty sure I’ll be using it every track. If for no other reason than I already pulled out my other mixer lol
ESGAL - BORGASM - TOBIAS KELLER - BLAZE OR BUST
Https://www.kunstwerkmultimedia.com
https://www.blazeorbust.com

FS/FT: Bastl DC Motor, Erica Black Stereo Mixer v2, Beatstep Pro

p@@@nts
Common Wiggler

Post by p@@@nts » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:12 am

Question: is attenuating the sound sources before they hit the SS really needed to get a nice mix? I noticed Daisuk has a pair of quad attenuators flanking his SS..

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:43 am

Well I doubt it has enough headroom to mix every signal at unity without distortion. The manual (or this thread? somewhere) asserts that you should attenuate at the voice but I've discovered that too much of my stuff doesn't have a convenient provision for that. I'll probably end up getting some attenuators myself. A mult and a utility mixer for effect mixes would be a nice addition.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:28 am

p@@@nts wrote:Question: is attenuating the sound sources before they hit the SS really needed to get a nice mix? I noticed Daisuk has a pair of quad attenuators flanking his SS..
That’s probably as much for mixing as attenuating.

p@@@nts
Common Wiggler

Post by p@@@nts » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:10 am

SavageMessiah wrote:Well I doubt it has enough headroom to mix every signal at unity without distortion. The manual (or this thread? somewhere) asserts that you should attenuate at the voice but I've discovered that too much of my stuff doesn't have a convenient provision for that. I'll probably end up getting some attenuators myself. A mult and a utility mixer for effect mixes would be a nice addition.
Ah, I should have rtfm :doh: Just when I thought I had enough attenuation (and I have a ton already).

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:39 am

p@@@nts wrote:Question: is attenuating the sound sources before they hit the SS really needed to get a nice mix? I noticed Daisuk has a pair of quad attenuators flanking his SS..
I would say its an absolute necessity, yes. But you can of course attenuate anywhere in your signal path, so if you're using a vca for instance, you can use that for attenuation.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:18 pm

I haven't had a problem with my modules overdriving the Soundstage. But obviously some put out hotter signal than others. They need to be attenuated so as not to overpower the shyer ones.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Depends on a huge number of factors, it’s modular after all. If you hit it with super hot signals on every input at once of course it will clip, but I use it without attenuators all the time, I just adjust the level of each voice at the VCA as needed.

It’s designed to work as is without needing anything extra, just patch each voice VCO -> VCF -> VCA -> SoundStage. If you want a particular voice to be less loud then just back off how much envelope you’re using to modulate the VCA, it’s pretty simple really. :tu:

Of course in a modular system there’s an infinite variety of different ways to patch things so if you have a module that doesn’t have a level control and you don’t normally run it through a VCA you may want to attenuate it before patching to SoundStage, or if you have a VCA that you really like to overdrive for a particular sound etc.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Another SoundStage mix, depth at noon in this one.

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/perforert

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:05 am

Purchased.

Will likely live near my Doepfer A-135-1.

edit - and a dual mult.

So stoked for this as I record live improv only. Should make things seem more alive.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:00 pm

was super stoked when this came out BUT:

how large would you say a system needs to be to utilize this?

I've got a 6U and I'd love to do my last stage mixing in this module, but let's be honest I don't think I even HAVE 21 outputs to stuff in there :lol:

The dream for my smaller system would be this, but 3 inputs per row in a smaller space. It's modules like these that make me want to get a wall of synthesizers and just tie it all together.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 pm

vidret wrote:was super stoked when this came out BUT:

how large would you say a system needs to be to utilize this?

I've got a 6U and I'd love to do my last stage mixing in this module, but let's be honest I don't think I even HAVE 21 outputs to stuff in there :lol:

The dream for my smaller system would be this, but 3 inputs per row in a smaller space. It's modules like these that make me want to get a wall of synthesizers and just tie it all together.
The general use case is not to use all 21 inputs at once, there are 21 inputs because there are 21 different positions in the soundstage to choose to place your source. Depending on if I'm using it to mix drums or not I'll generally mix between five and 12 sources per patch.

If you only had three inputs per row you'd be putting things in the same position every single time which would be quite limiting for higher frequency sources.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:00 am

No, I get that.

General question remains; what kind of size system do you think this fits well in? (Talking lower limit)

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:22 am

vidret wrote:No, I get that.

General question remains; what kind of size system do you think this fits well in? (Talking lower limit)
well it super depends on your system and aproach. imagine that you use only one voice but tons of effects. With the soundstage you use now all your outputs, orginal, waveshaped, stereodelay etc. It's not really something for a big or a small setup. I use it in almost every patch but sometimes I only use two or three inputs. Have you checked out Divkids Video?

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 am

yeah, i did see the video.

I'm just trying to ascertain how muchi can squeeze out of this puppy in my setup. Choosing is hard :bang:

It's an absolutely stellar module though, if my setup was just a bit bigger it'd be a no-brainer.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:25 am

To answer the minimal size for which Sound Stage makes sense, I would go by voices (including drums). If your system is a single voice it may not make much sense, and with only two voices it would depend very much on the complexity of the voices. For three or more voices I would say it's a real magic module that opens up your mix.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:51 am

I agree with the above: if you have three or more channels of audio going out of your eurorack, the Sound Stage can be very helpful. If you are using the Vector Space (another big module, I’m afraid) to create complex voices, you will probably be using more than a single output — being able to place variations of the effected voice to different points across the (literal) sound stage is a wonder. In my setup, I combine smaller mixers (Mixup, Rosie, Dynamix) to balance levels prior to the Sound Stage and I find that works really well. (My rig is 9RU, btw, and has 9 voices plus drums).

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 pm

pieter wrote:To answer the minimal size for which Sound Stage makes sense, I would go by voices (including drums). If your system is a single voice it may not make much sense, and with only two voices it would depend very much on the complexity of the voices. For three or more voices I would say it's a real magic module that opens up your mix.
I would disagree that you require many voices to get utility out of the Soundstage. There are many ways to get multiple voices in a single oscillator system. For example, most VCOs have multiple outputs for the different waveforms. Additionally, you can run one VCO output into several different filtering/waveshaping/processing modules, and get even more outputs that way.

Take all these different outputs that all originate from the same VCO and put them into the Soundstage, and you get a *massive* lead line. Trust me; I've done it; it's fabulous.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:56 pm

I had fun in a recent patch by feeding morphagene with some effects into planar 2 and then the 4 abcd outputs into different inputs on soundstage. Moving the stick then panned the voice and moved it around the spectrum at the same time.

I don't think you're going to get a satisfying answer to your question. Sometimes the only way to tell if you're going to get enough out of a module is to use it so you might as well say no or bite the bullet and get it :omg:. I think sometimes I spend as much time deciding on what to get as using my system. It's dumb.

sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:11 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:I don't think you're going to get a satisfying answer to your question. Sometimes the only way to tell if you're going to get enough out of a module is to use it so you might as well say no or bite the bullet and get it :omg:. I think sometimes I spend as much time deciding on what to get as using my system. It's dumb.

vidret This rings quite true, also the Eurorack market has a very healthy number of people into buy, sell, trade. So even if you find the module is not for you, you can sell it for a small loss (usually 20%) and think of it as a rental fee, or you can buy it on the used market. Either way trust your gu:t if you are drawn to it buy it, if you you question it more than you are drawn to it than don't buy it. Either way you don't lose (though it seems like from your last few posts you were looking for reasons more to not get it/ talk you out of it, so there is a good chance you will enjoy it (so my advice is to buy it (used preferably for you), test it out, and resell it if it is not for you))

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:18 pm

I just have to ditch so much important stuff to fit it too.
I do appreciate how it simplifies the last couple of steps of mixing, panning and filtering. :deadbanana:

If the current mixing layout isn’t working for me it’s probably gonna end up being the soundstage after all :tu:

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:46 am

electricanada wrote:
pieter wrote:To answer the minimal size for which Sound Stage makes sense, I would go by voices (including drums). If your system is a single voice it may not make much sense, and with only two voices it would depend very much on the complexity of the voices. For three or more voices I would say it's a real magic module that opens up your mix.
I would disagree that you require many voices to get utility out of the Soundstage. There are many ways to get multiple voices in a single oscillator system. For example, most VCOs have multiple outputs for the different waveforms. Additionally, you can run one VCO output into several different filtering/waveshaping/processing modules, and get even more outputs that way.

Take all these different outputs that all originate from the same VCO and put them into the Soundstage, and you get a *massive* lead line. Trust me; I've done it; it's fabulous.
Sure, but that proves my point: you create several voices from a single oscillator, and place them using Sound Stage.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”