WORNG Electronics SoundStage mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:41 am

pieter wrote:
electricanada wrote:
pieter wrote:To answer the minimal size for which Sound Stage makes sense, I would go by voices (including drums). If your system is a single voice it may not make much sense, and with only two voices it would depend very much on the complexity of the voices. For three or more voices I would say it's a real magic module that opens up your mix.
I would disagree that you require many voices to get utility out of the Soundstage. There are many ways to get multiple voices in a single oscillator system. For example, most VCOs have multiple outputs for the different waveforms. Additionally, you can run one VCO output into several different filtering/waveshaping/processing modules, and get even more outputs that way.

Take all these different outputs that all originate from the same VCO and put them into the Soundstage, and you get a *massive* lead line. Trust me; I've done it; it's fabulous.
Sure, but that proves my point: you create several voices from a single oscillator, and place them using Sound Stage.
Maybe, but I often use it for a single voice using multiple oscillators (and/or multiple outputs of a single oscillator) ... single envelope into the Worng VCA and out into a single stereo filter. Great for that too

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:29 pm

Here's a generative patch I mixed on the Sound Stage. Depth set to about 50%.

https://soundcloud.com/john-belew/klee-madness

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 pm

buyingitwontmakeucool wrote:
pieter wrote:
electricanada wrote:
pieter wrote:To answer the minimal size for which Sound Stage makes sense, I would go by voices (including drums). If your system is a single voice it may not make much sense, and with only two voices it would depend very much on the complexity of the voices. For three or more voices I would say it's a real magic module that opens up your mix.
I would disagree that you require many voices to get utility out of the Soundstage. There are many ways to get multiple voices in a single oscillator system. For example, most VCOs have multiple outputs for the different waveforms. Additionally, you can run one VCO output into several different filtering/waveshaping/processing modules, and get even more outputs that way.

Take all these different outputs that all originate from the same VCO and put them into the Soundstage, and you get a *massive* lead line. Trust me; I've done it; it's fabulous.
Sure, but that proves my point: you create several voices from a single oscillator, and place them using Sound Stage.
Maybe, but I often use it for a single voice using multiple oscillators (and/or multiple outputs of a single oscillator) ... single envelope into the Worng VCA and out into a single stereo filter. Great for that too
Dang, I keep forgetting this thing has an output VCA, I need to try this out.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:45 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
buyingitwontmakeucool wrote:
pieter wrote:
electricanada wrote:

Dang, I keep forgetting ythis thing has an output VCA, I need to try this out.
Boy I never thought of this, thaaanks!!

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 am

My pleasure. Run the sounds through a multi out switch pre-worng (like the addac 214) and trigger a spectral shift with each new note for even more fun!

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:45 am

Been lurking here for some time. It looks like a LOT of fun... but i think this is over kill as i already have a Frap CGM system. I guess it'd come down how many filters are in my system which im ok for, though im now going to look into sellen key filter characteristics. Good luck
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 am

I have a more straightforward mixer (Praga+Hrad), but I use the Soundstage for totally different tasks. Soundstage is awesome for dynamically moving sounds around in space while simultaneously being able to move then in the frequency spectrum. If you get a sound with a rich enough timbre and an input switching device, you can move it all around the room while messing with the pitch.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:15 pm

nomass wrote:I have a more straightforward mixer (Praga+Hrad), but I use the Soundstage for totally different tasks. Soundstage is awesome for dynamically moving sounds around in space while simultaneously being able to move then in the frequency spectrum. If you get a sound with a rich enough timbre and an input switching device, you can move it all around the room while messing with the pitch.
Great patching concept. Use a voltage controlled switch (A-152, etc.), and you could have even more control over the frequency/soundstage domain.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Ears
Common Wiggler

Post by Ears » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:Been lurking here for some time. It looks like a LOT of fun... but i think this is over kill as i already have a Frap CGM system. I guess it'd come down how many filters are in my system which im ok for, though im now going to look into sellen key filter characteristics. Good luck
I use the soundstage with my CGM. The cool thing with the CGM is you can use it to do traditional mixer sends while using cv on them - so actually you can give the SoundStage super power with your CGM. CGM is more of a mastering bus thing in my mind.

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Post by yellowecho » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:50 am

I love this thing! It's so quick to patch and the filtering is really versatile and creates so many new sounds and new mixes. Last night I was running a BIA in parallel with a drum machine and the two would morph and blend in such a unique, cohesive way using the lowpass filter. Thinking about adding a LRMSMSLR now :omg:

nuttymad
Wiggling with Experience

Re: WORNG Electronics SoundStage mixer

Post by nuttymad » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:09 pm

I have a few stereo effects in my case and was thinking about adding the soundstage. How would I go about patching the stereo effects into the soundstage? Take the L and R out of the effect and into parallel channels on the soundstage?

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:28 pm

nuttymad wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:09 pm
I have a few stereo effects in my case and was thinking about adding the soundstage. How would I go about patching the stereo effects into the soundstage? Take the L and R out of the effect and into parallel channels on the soundstage?
Yes, although they don’t have to be parallel channels. Get creative. Putting the L fx out a row or two higher on the soundstage than the R out can be really nice. You can also mult the fx outs and run multiple instances into soundstage for a fatter sound. Or use a switch or a cross fader to move the fx outs around different inputs on the soundstage for even more animation.

nuttymad
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nuttymad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:00 am

electricanada wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:28 pm
nuttymad wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:09 pm
Yes, although they don’t have to be parallel channels. Get creative. Putting the L fx out a row or two higher on the soundstage than the R out can be really nice. You can also mult the fx outs and run multiple instances into soundstage for a fatter sound. Or use a switch or a cross fader to move the fx outs around different inputs on the soundstage for even more animation.
Oooh I didn’t think about multing them! Very cool! Thanks for the reply!

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Here’s a patch I just came up:

Noise into S&H; S&H percussively gated. This CVs the A-152. My audio signal goes through the 152 into eight different inputs on the soundstage.

The result is that on every new trigger, the audio signal randomly appears on one of the eight inputs. It’s jumping all over the place in the stereo field, and changing timbre with each strike too.

For even more animation, take a couple of the digital outs on the 152 and use them to hit the soundstage CV inputs.

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:54 am

I only have one osc module, Piston Honda mk3. But I think a soundstage in conjunction with Verbos Multi Stage delay would make the Piston Honda seem like more than one voice. Tempted!

vidret
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by vidret » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:46 am

vidret wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:00 pm
was super stoked when this came out BUT:

how large would you say a system needs to be to utilize this?

I've got a 6U and I'd love to do my last stage mixing in this module, but let's be honest I don't think I even HAVE 21 outputs to stuff in there :lol:

The dream for my smaller system would be this, but 3 inputs per row in a smaller space. It's modules like these that make me want to get a wall of synthesizers and just tie it all together.
i caved, got it today and it's really good. :omg: :omg: :omg:

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:55 pm

lordymosh wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:54 am
I only have one osc module, Piston Honda mk3. But I think a soundstage in conjunction with Verbos Multi Stage delay would make the Piston Honda seem like more than one voice. Tempted!
Sure. Filter the delay and put it on the opposite side. Even better S&H or gate the oscillator output before it hits the delay so that you get a different melody going into the delay.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sun May 24, 2020 3:08 am

Anyone coupled this with qubit synapse for crossfade switching?

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:23 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:41 am
I won't say never but I'm not really set up to sell replacement panels at the moment.
(Picking this up from the other thread.) Even if you don't do separate replacement panels, do let us know if Soundstage gets a run in the matte panels of the new modules. I'll pick a new unit up and sell my current glossy version.

Love this thing either way. Master output chain is now SoundStage -> Overseer -> MSCL -> FX Aid reverb.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:54 pm

scragz wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:23 am
Stab Frenzy wrote:
I won't say never but I'm not really set up to sell replacement panels at the moment.
(Picking this up from the other thread.) Even if you don't do separate replacement panels, do let us know if Soundstage gets a run in the matte panels of the new modules. I'll pick a new unit up and sell my current glossy version.

Love this thing either way. Master output chain is now SoundStage -> Overseer -> MSCL -> FX Aid reverb.
If you're on Instagram then follow there for the latest news first, but I'll try to update things here too.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:13 pm

Finally set my SoundStage up after being purchased about 3-4 months ago. Very interesting module. Using it with a Planar to move stuff around and thinking I can use sequential switches or electronic switches to abruptly move things around the Stage.

Thinking putting two voice patches into a crossfader (received Bubblesound today) and crossfade into sequential switch into four Soundstage inputs. Have different timed LFO's into the XFade and switch. That would keep things moving.

Also, looking at my Doepfer A-135-1 VC Mixer/4 VCA, and see it will be essential with the Soundstage.

Love the sound of the module for sure.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Peng33
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Peng33 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:25 am

Wonder how this would work with the harmonics created by the Panharmonium.

philipdeman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by philipdeman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:54 pm
scragz wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:23 am
Stab Frenzy wrote:

If you're on Instagram then follow there for the latest news first, but I'll try to update things here too.
Following on IG, but yeah, I'd be quite keen on replacement panels for this one and Vector Space!

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:25 am

Peng33 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:25 am
Wonder how this would work with the harmonics created by the Panharmonium.
Similarly to how it works on any harmonics created by any module, quite nicely.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”